Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 08 Nov 2018 (Thursday) 10:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

No new releases for EF lens for 2019- per Canon

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
22,994 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Nov 10, 2018 12:00 as a reply to  @ post 18747992 |  #76

watch the video around the 16 minute mark he says there is no roadmap point blank. the reason he says that is because Canon does not know. no one does. it's all speculation.

you like to split hairs Dave. I get that.

canon may not have a roadmap but you've got mine. 1) EF lens purchases are on hold. 2) as soon as I buy an RF mount body I will rotate out of my EF lenses as RF counterparts are released.

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff, sirui

sponsored links
ed ­ rader
22,994 posts
Joined May 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by ed rader.

Nov 10, 2018 12:13 as a reply to  @ post 18748026 |  #77

first off I am a canon realist and secondly I understand how everyone feels threatened by change and how easy it is to place the blame on the messenger.

I think better equipment is a good thing. for years I have been hearing Sony this and Sony that. well Canon is making its move and its a bold one and I think they will become top player in the mirrorless market. I also think Nikon is the weak player here.

one thing I am sure of is i'm not right about everything but if you look at ed's roadmap for the future you'll see I have planned a transition that will coincide with reality, not emotion. look at my gear list. I have a sizeable investment too but I have always upgraded to newer lenses and bodies (usually while others grumbled) and really that's all I plan to do now.

5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff, sirui

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by davesrose.

Nov 10, 2018 12:14 as a reply to  @ ed rader's post |  #78

No, I believe in honesty and taking people at face value. The rep specifically does not say "there is no roadmap point blank" (as you want to paint). In fact, specifically at 18:10 he says "and there are still roadmaps internally for EF lenses that we want to produce". This isn't about splitting hairs...it's about taking Canon at face value (and not twisting words). Or is TS right in assuming some believe Canon are liars?

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,380 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Nov 10, 2018 12:21 |  #79

A company like Canon has no product roadmap? That is completely laughable. Every large corporation lays out roadmaps for their products, releases, etc.

What I heard was:
- Other companies produced roadmaps for lenses that never came true, so they aren't going to publish their RF roadmap and look like dolts.
- They have to catch up with the mirrorless competition so all efforts in 2019 is to build up the RF base because they are behind
- Their EF lens collection is quite large and complete as is (and he is correct), so they don't have a publishable short-term roadmap of new EF lenses at this point

What I saw is exactly what we go through internally when we have meetings about how to talk to our customers. Marketing speak is rehearsed and laid out long before one of us in management or marketing or customer service sit in front of a customer. Been there, done it, many times...

That doesn't mean they are done with EF, EFS, or EFM lenses, unless you take that out of context and ignore all other things that was said. It just means the EF line has reached a product maturity level where they don't need to keep introducing MKIII and MKIV version of the same lenses they have been creating for years, and other areas require their attention currently.

First Canon has to get the mirrorless to the level of the 5D4 and 1DX2, then nobody will really care about DSLRs and new lenses for those bodies. However I see no reason why there won't be 3-4 DSLRs introduced in the next few years along with a few EF/EFS/EFM lenses. Past that, I am sure that well will dry up, but that provides time for Canon to develop and tune the mirrorless line, while still retaining marketshare.

Soccer parents don't care about any of this, they just want an economical camera with 2 or 3 reasonably priced lenses to shoot their kids events, and they still make up a large part of Canon's customer base. That means DSLRs and cheap lenses for a bit more yet, or enhance the M series and EFM lenses. The only alternative to this is that the next EOS-R camera announced will be a Rebel replacement with some new low cost RF lenses.

Maybe we will get an RF 75-300, won't that be fun! Can't wait for an RF 18-55, RF 55-250, RF 18-135, RF 100-400, RF 24-70, RF 12-24, etc. Of course I would be more interested if they create some unique ranges this time around with a bit faster glass. That will catch my attention.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,492 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Joined Jul 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by Choderboy.

Nov 10, 2018 12:27 |  #80

ed rader wrote in post #18748087 (external link)
watch the video around the 16 minute mark he says there is no roadmap point blank. the reason he says that is because Canon does not know. no one does. it's all speculation.

you like to split hairs Dave. I get that.

canon may not have a roadmap but you've got mine. 1) EF lens purchases are on hold. 2) as soon as I buy an RF mount body I will rotate out of my EF lenses as RF counterparts are released.

At 18 minutes he says "there is still internal roadmaps for different EF lenses we want to produce" Start at 18:06.

Just before that he says "we'll get back to that" and I'm sure he's talking about getting back to EF lens design and production.

Dave
Image editing OK

ed ­ rader
22,994 posts
Joined May 2005

Nov 10, 2018 12:29 as a reply to  @ davesrose's post |  #81

Dave. I believe the rep doesn't know, and the truth is way above his pay grade. if Canon releases DSLRs and mirrorless bodies in the future that do basically the same thing I would view that as failure.

if my mark IV were to die today I would replace it with EOS R no question.

davesrose
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 10, 2018 12:33 as a reply to  @ ed rader's post |  #82

Oh, so now you're going to flip flop and say we shouldn't even take the rep seriously. Which is it? I'll see how you respond to TS's point about Canon relying on roadmaps. If my 5D4 died today, I would get another 5D4 for its features (the Canon R is not a replacement, and Canon has not advertised it as that either).

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,492 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 10, 2018 12:33 |  #83

ed rader wrote in post #18748100 (external link)
Dave. I believe the rep doesn't know, and the truth is way above his pay grade. if Canon releases DSLRs and mirrorless bodies in the future that do basically the same thing I would view that as failure.

I'm just talking about what he said. I am sure previous discussion in this thread was of the opinion he said there was no roadmap.

Is it a case of now he does not know as it does not fit your predictions?

Dave
Image editing OK

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,162 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by nqjudo.

Nov 10, 2018 12:38 |  #84

Lol. So it is above his pay grade but within yours? These problems start when people talk in absolutes about things that they have no more knowledge of beyond a layman's interpretation of what someone said in one context in one video. Furthermore Canon users have faced all kinds of nonsense, attacks and ridicule from the usual mirrorless suspects here on the forum. I don't see the benefit or rationale in a Canon user creating divides within the user community in the form of dramatic statements that are based on opinion rather than fact. What we know is the mount was just released and Canon wants the system to grow. We can extrapolate from the past and the fact the R supports EF that support will continue for the time being. I think it's ok to say that we don't know the rest. We've got a great new product and tech from Canon. It's a good thing for all Canon users. Can we get together and all be happy about something here?

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

davesrose
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 10, 2018 12:39 as a reply to  @ Choderboy's post |  #85

There's a problem of two Daves responding to one thread:-) Ed's posts were replies to my posts.

Canon 5D mk IV
smugmug (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,380 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Nov 10, 2018 12:40 |  #86

Dave. I believe the rep doesn't know, and the truth is way above his pay grade.

That I can agree with. We have had our marketing folks state things with customers which becomes fodder for amusement in our technical discussions. We called one of our reps Ragu, because he kept telling our customers either our products could do everything we needed, or it was coming. At least this rep was quite a bit more conservative than what I typically see and deal with.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,492 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 10, 2018 12:42 |  #87

davesrose wrote in post #18748111 (external link)
There's a problem of two Daves responding to one thread:-) Ed's posts were replies to my posts.

OK, so has anyone had another listen from 18:06?
Am I mistaken regarding my quote that there is an EF roadmap?

Dave
Image editing OK

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,380 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed. (4 edits in all)

Nov 10, 2018 12:45 |  #88

Choderboy wrote in post #18748115 (external link)

If you listen to that segment, he is clearly talking about the 2019 period (clear to me anyways). Everything there is about how they are behind, they know it, and they have to remedy it which means 2019 is their "year of the mirrorless". I take the "no roadmap for EF" to be for the 2019 period. I don't take that as the long-term Canon roadmap. Those long term roadmaps are usually not divulged to the general public, and also usually certain levels of representation with a corporation won't even know it.

Those are developed a bit lower in the organization in the technical spaces where it matters where and what and how you spend capital funds in planning and development.

Of course perhaps I read too much (or too little?) into that segment.

davesrose
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by davesrose. (2 edits in all)

Nov 10, 2018 12:45 |  #89

Choderboy wrote in post #18748115 (external link)

No, in fact that's what I also pointed out in my first post in this thread and post 78: that also was in response to Ed's stance that the Canon rep "says there is no roadmap point blank". Maybe only people named Dave heard that?

Canon 5D mk IV
smugmug (external link)

davesrose
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 10, 2018 12:48 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #90

The rep actually specifically says there IS an internal roadmap for EF lenses. That they've put that on hold for 2019 to be able to gear up for more RF lenses.

Canon 5D mk IV
smugmug (external link)

sponsored links

11,051 views & 131 likes for this thread
No new releases for EF lens for 2019- per Canon
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.