Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 08 Nov 2018 (Thursday) 10:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

No new releases for EF lens for 2019- per Canon

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,453 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 10, 2018 21:14 |  #106

nqjudo wrote in post #18747919 (external link)
Well, Mike. I was. Old timers love to come down from mount perfect and make statements about things based on history and the arguments can be compelling because there are relatively few people around who might remember those times but things change. In those days it was standard practice for consumers to buy a body and stick with it forever. I shot the same FD mount body for 17 years. Who does that anymore? EF was introduced in 1987. FD was produced till ~ 1993 and Canon offered service and support for existing components long after. They didn't exactly cut people off at the knees. Expectations regarding upgrades and associated cycles were different then for obvious reasons. Assuming Canon doesn't make another EF component we still have good EF support for longer than most of the user base needs.

As for seeing a doctor, etc. let's not be too dramatic. When Nikon announced the D5 you made a big statement about Nikon eating Canon's lunch (or whatever) and it was all over for Canon unless they did something and a very short while later Canon owners were happily cradling the 1dxii. Then when the A9 came out you were in another frenzy about concerns over a backup body. That ended up being a 5D4 which you now proclaim to be the best possible choice for your needs. Now Canon introduces a new mount and it's all dramatic flair and predictions again. You want to talk about doctors? In medicine the best doctors usually proceed with the most cautious and conservative approach. Maybe we should all just calm down and take a page from that book. You've got a community around that has some members already nervous enough about investments in EF. Why stoke fires unnecessarily? We're just guys on the Internet who usually get it wrong anyway.

Well Old timer

you obviously have read what you wanted t read. Selective memory is my diagnosis

A- At the time I made that statement NIKON was eating canons lunch. All canon had at the time was the 1Dx1 and that was only good to 12800 ISO and darks and shadows broke down when pushed past 1 stop in post.....And BTW.......Nikon D5 is still a better camera than the 1Dx2.But canon stepped it up and all of us a glad they did......Strike 1

B-It wasnt the A9 it was the A7iii. So you also got that wrong. And after testing the A7iii and finding out about adapted glass problems and talking to countless PROFESSIONAL photographers who experienced exactly what I experienced, and countless more who put the A7's to bed for the night and broke out the canons and Nikons for reception needs......I decided that the 5D4 was a far better fot for my needs.............Stri​ke 2

C- Canon introduced an entry level to full frame body to announce the new R optics. They are superior to anything on the market right now. Wait to you see the comparisons to Zeiss lens. I would not buy EF lens at this point. It is blatantly Obvious what is going to happen. I personally know several of the very best in this industry that have the eos-R in thioer hands. The body is decent but No Ready for primetime professional photographer use. Wedding professionals will insist on dual cards or they wont use the body. Canon has been told this by several that have that EOS-R in their hands right now. Im not striking any fires. I am pretty dam sure I know whats coming in next year and thats going to be a R body with dual cards and features that will be equivalent to the 5D4. If you want to waste your $$$ on EF lens then by all means Go ahead. If they dont release a dual card mirrorless body in 2019 thats as good as the 5D4, I would be surprised especially when the dude said, no more EF lens for 2019 and they are going to concentrate on R mounts.......I make my statements based on facts and based on professionals who use the gear day in and Day out and most of us really know what we are doing...And the reasons we kept cameras for years is because there was no major advancements in the camera bodies as we experience with digital sensor develop. BTW I sold the hassy's and I still have my AE1 and other bodies I used way way back in 1974-1982......Strike 3

No One is on Mount perfect so get off your pouty chair and mess with someone else

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,453 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by umphotography.

Nov 10, 2018 21:26 |  #107

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18748026 (external link)
I am confused why Ed, a passionate Canon loyalist, would be so adamant that Canon will shortly stop making, and supporting, EF lenses. Doesn't it benefit all of us if Canon continues to work with all Canon users, whether that be with DSLRs, EF lenses, RF mounts, etc? The more Canon works with the entire base, the longer everyone stays with Canon and the convince others to go with Canon too, thus padding the Canon coffers.

Once a person has to expend tons of money to move to a new format and new lens lineup, or they feel Canon just isn't doing anything for them, they will likely move to other manufacturers, based on similar features and budget. That has happened already with the XT3 and A73/A9 series in fact. Remember that POTN and FM and DPREVIEW members are the minority in the global market of Canon, there is an entirely larger consumer base that may not even be aware of EOS-R/RF mounts. Ignore that group, and a business plan will fail.

It benefits Ed and Mike both to have Canon support everything that we ALL have now for the foreseeable future with a slow and methodical move away from the older tech instead of a sudden pull-away. Methinks in many of the discussions of EOS-R/RF, passion and excitement is putting reason and logic in the backseat. Nothing wrong with that, happens in all industries to various extents. :)

Have you personally seen an EOS-R file in a computer and looked at an image with the new 50 or 24-105 ?

I have.

Ask MDVADEN to send you a full size JPEG and compare it to anything you have ever shot straight off the camera. Anything. When you see the files you will come to the same conclusions as Ed and I have.

No Passion or excitement. Just the facts sir

I am the first one in line to biatch canon out for Crapola releases with bodies and lens releases. These R mounts are going to be better than Top of the Line Zeiss glass

Mark my words. Wait until they compare the 50's and 85's against the R mounts at same focal lengths. The R monts are going to blow everything out of the water

BTW -I hate spending $$ on camera bodies and lens. The only newer lens I have is the 100 macro and the 24-70ii and the Sigma 85 art........I still use and enjoy version 1 L lens........these R mounts will change everything. MDvaden can spell it out for you better than me. He has the glass and He knows

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,161 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by nqjudo.

Nov 10, 2018 22:21 |  #108

umphotography wrote in post #18748422 (external link)
Well Old timer

you obviously have read what you wanted t read. Selective memory is my diagnosis

A- At the time I made that statement NIKON was eating canons lunch. All canon had at the time was the 1Dx1 and that was only good to 12800 ISO and darks and shadows broke down when pushed past 1 stop in post.....And BTW.......Nikon D5 is still a better camera than the 1Dx2.But canon stepped it up and all of us a glad they did......Strike 1

B-It wasnt the A9 it was the A7iii. So you also got that wrong. And after testing the A7iii and finding out about adapted glass problems and talking to countless PROFESSIONAL photographers who experienced exactly what I experienced, and countless more who put the A7's to bed for the night and broke out the canons and Nikons for reception needs......I decided that the 5D4 was a far better fot for my needs.............Stri​ke 2

C- Canon introduced an entry level to full frame body to announce the new R optics. They are superior to anything on the market right now. Wait to you see the comparisons to Zeiss lens. I would not buy EF lens at this point. It is blatantly Obvious what is going to happen. I personally know several of the very best in this industry that have the eos-R in thioer hands. The body is decent but No Ready for primetime professional photographer use. Wedding professionals will insist on dual cards or they wont use the body. Canon has been told this by several that have that EOS-R in their hands right now. Im not striking any fires. I am pretty dam sure I know whats coming in next year and thats going to be a R body with dual cards and features that will be equivalent to the 5D4. If you want to waste your $$$ on EF lens then by all means Go ahead. If they dont release a dual card mirrorless body in 2019 thats as good as the 5D4, I would be surprised especially when the dude said, no more EF lens for 2019 and they are going to concentrate on R mounts.......I make my statements based on facts and based on professionals who use the gear day in and Day out and most of us really know what we are doing...And the reasons we kept cameras for years is because there was no major advancements in the camera bodies as we experience with digital sensor develop. BTW I sold the hassy's and I still have my AE1 and other bodies I used way way back in 1974-1982......Strike 3

No One is on Mount perfect so get off your pouty chair and mess with someone else

Mike,

A - I qualified my statement by saying or whatever because I forgot the exact reference (and many were confused by it in your thread) but what I said was self explanatory. The D5 came first, you made a dramatic post about Canon being behind and were then fondling a 1DxII shortly thereafter. The timeline isn't complicated follow nor is your thread. For a guy who continually buys and shoots Canon your faith in them seems pretty fickle.

B - Speaking of being selective I said when the A9 came out. I didn't say you were looking for the A9. It's simply the timeline I'm referencing but it changes nothing. You were polling the entire community in search of something better for a secondary body which you ended up finding in a 5D4.

C - I don't care how many professionals you know, what they do or what they think. You, them and everyone else here has nothing more than an opinion.

I'm not trying to 'mess' with you. Some people have huge investments in EF and it is a very big financial consideration. I don't see the benefit in casting EF in such a negative light based on nothing more than speculation. Canon is the only entity in the know. Let's be real and adult here. Do you really believe that your elite group of pro wedding photogs has smarter guys than Canon? If so I'd like to know why you are all up in arms about the D5 but didn't foresee the 1DxII coming a month or so later. Were your buddies out of town? It seems pretty odd that you aren’t in the know about a very close major relaese but claim to know the future direction of an entire corporate entity. In the case I do suffer from selective memory I'd say from what I see in this thread it's lesser evil than suffering from hysteria. It's just a pile of electronics.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,453 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 10, 2018 22:39 |  #109

nqjudo wrote in post #18748468 (external link)
Mike,

A - I qualified my statement by saying or whatever because I forgot the exact reference (and many were confused by it in your thread) but what I said was self explanatory. The D5 came first, you made a dramatic post about Canon being behind and were then fondling a 1DxII shortly thereafter. The timeline isn't complicated follow nor is your thread. For a guy who continually buys and shoots Canon your faith in them seems pretty fickle.

B - Speaking of being selective I said when the A9 came out. I didn't say you were looking for the A9. It's simply the timeline I'm referencing but it changes nothing. You were polling the entire community in search of something better for a secondary body which you ended up finding in a 5D4.

C - I don't care how many professionals you know, what they do or what they think. You, them and everyone else here has nothing more than an opinion.

I'm not trying to 'mess' with you. Some people have huge investments in EF and it is a very big financial consideration. I don't see the benefit in casting EF in such a negative light based on nothing more than speculation. Canon is the only entity in the know. Let's be real and adult here. Do you really believe that your elite group of pro wedding photogs has smarter guys than Canon? If so I'd like to know why you are all up in arms about the D5 but didn't foresee the 1DxII coming a month or so later. Were your buddies out of town? In the case I do suffer from selective memory I'd say from what I see in this thread it's lesser evil than suffering from hysteria. It's just a pile of electronics.

I dont know what you are not getting

D5 is a better camera than the 1Dx2 by a full stop and it has an outstanding AF system. Not disputed by anyone in the industry

Tell ya what. Go put a current 50L on the R body with an adapter and put the new 50R on the body and compare file to file. I have already seen 1 comparison shot. There is no comparison. The new 50R makes the current 50L look like dog poop. All you have to do is look. Explorer of light shooters are very tight lipped right now an just cant out that stuff on social media. But im sure the testers will have those comparisons very soon.

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 10, 2018 22:40 as a reply to  @ nqjudo's post |  #110

I'm also wondering how Nikon D5 is better then Canon 1DX2? Mike mentions only being interested in high ISO (which everyone seems to overall find a wash with current brands). The 1DX2 has higher frame rate and 4K DCI in APS-H instead of UHD (which is a big factor as to why it consolidated the 1Dc).

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

davesrose
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 10, 2018 22:48 |  #111

umphotography wrote in post #18748479 (external link)
D5 is a better camera than the 1Dx2 by a full stop and it has an outstanding AF system. Not disputed by anyone in the industry

I seem to remember Nikon folks bemoaning the DR of the D5...seems to be consistent with the numbers:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,278 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Nov 10, 2018 22:48 |  #112

I like 50 1.2 lenses on mirrorless bodies! So much fun!

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Still-Life/Artistic-Musings/i-MFq7XBN/0/bef44878/X3/IMG_2936-X3.jpg

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Church-and-Family/The-Kids/i-Kn5GcLr/0/69afee73/X2/IMG_0541-X2.jpg

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
22,990 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Nov 10, 2018 22:48 |  #113

nqjudo wrote in post #18748468 (external link)
Mike,

I'm not trying to 'mess' with you. Some people have huge investments in EF and it is a very big financial consideration. I don't see the benefit in casting EF in such a negative light based on nothing more than speculation. Canon is the only entity in the know. Let's be real and adult here. Do you really believe that your elite group of pro wedding photogs has smarter guys than Canon? If so I'd like to know why you are all up in arms about the D5 but didn't foresee the 1DxII coming a month or so later. Were your buddies out of town? It seems pretty odd that you aren’t in the know about a very close major relaese but claim to know the future direction of an entire corporate entity. In the case I do suffer from selective memory I'd say from what I see in this thread it's lesser evil than suffering from hysteria. It's just a pile of electronics.

if it bothers you stay off the thread. we all have skin in the game in EF equipment. no one here is shaping opinion. we are speculating and planning.

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff, sirui

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,278 posts
Joined May 2002

Nov 10, 2018 22:54 as a reply to  @ davesrose's post |  #114

Unusually, in the contest between Canon and Nikon, the EOS-1D X Mark II’s sensor has the wider dynamic range at base ISO, which represents a major step forward for Canon’s pro lineup. Although not a match for the best-in-class performance offered by Sony’s current full-frame sensors, the 1D X Mark II bests the D5 by around one stop. Oddly, in terms of dynamic range, the D5 has moved backwards compared to its predecessor, the D4S.

The practical upshot of this is that the EOS-1D X Mark II is much more suitable for the sort of ‘expose for the highlights and pull the shadows up later’ approach to photography that makes sense in tricky lighting conditions. With the D5, you have to chose. Expose for highlight detail and color and lose definition in midtones and shadows, or expose for midtones and say goodbye to the brighter areas. With the EOS-1D X Mark II, while not best-in-class, Raw files are much more flexible.

This is where things got interesting. At high ISO, no surprises here, Nikon takes the cake with noticeably cleaner images and more range; however, the roles swapped pretty much everywhere else. Canon’s dynamic range (and image quality overall) seemed to be better at lower ISOs and in normal shooting conditions.

and then finally

https://www.fredmirand​a.com/forum/topic/1421​475/ (external link)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

davesrose
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 10, 2018 23:02 |  #115

umphotography wrote in post #18748431 (external link)
Have you personally seen an EOS-R file in a computer and looked at an image with the new 50 or 24-105 ?

I have.

Ask MDVADEN to send you a full size JPEG and compare it to anything you have ever shot straight off the camera. Anything. When you see the files you will come to the same conclusions as Ed and I have.

No Passion or excitement. Just the facts sir

How is visually judging a photo a "fact"? It's your perception. The few photos I've seen from the Canon R have had some nice examples. But I have yet to see one so razor sharp to completely blow my mind. I know the RF system is the future and Canon will produce some stunning lenses, but I've produced some stunning images with current EF lenses. This debate about you have to get the latest and greatest to produce a photo seems similar to another thread I've seen about cameras and color science. It might be easier to pick a difference with A or B when they're just by each other...but individually, who can tell? If you're one of those people who does claim that there's a difference with every camera and lens, I defy you to identify the camera and lens used without any meta-data presented to you.

Canon 5D mk IV
smugmug (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,278 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed. (3 edits in all)

Nov 10, 2018 23:21 as a reply to  @ davesrose's post |  #116

You just have to realize that every new camera or lens is a game changer for some.

I appreciate Mike's enthusiasm, but I also know he thought the 1D4 was a game changer, then the 5D3 was a game changer, then the 1DX was a game changer. Then the 5D4 came out and it was a game changer. Now the EOS R is out and it is a game changer. These RF lenses are game changers.

These aren't my words, those words or sentiment can be found in the past. Knowing the folks' history to helps to understand their proclivity for new products, and their excitement for new gear and what it might bring to the table. I personally don't think each and every time Canon brings something new out that it might be the best thing they ever did. I am a bit more conservative perhaps, or cautious about what is or isn't going to change how I shoot.

davesrose
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 10, 2018 23:34 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #117

It is funny how passionate how Ed has been to as to actually twist the rep's words (and then presented with fact, turn about and say the rep shouldn't be taken seriously). Intellectually, I would like to see what kind of R lenses are introduced. I have also seen Mike's excitement with photos from the R thread...I have seen some nice photos there, but I wouldn't be able to pass judgement about critical sharpness as they don't have 1:1 (so I have many photos myself that can have crazy sharpness when viewed at these resolutions). Mike himself has said the R is not something he'd buy...he's waiting for a "pro" version. We're all equally qualified to speculate as to what R&D Canon has and how soon they might introduce a 5D4 mirrorless equivalent or 1DX series. I do think it's wishful thinking that Canon can produce a mirrorless approaching 1DX2 anytime soon.

Canon 5D mk IV
smugmug (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,278 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Nov 10, 2018 23:42 as a reply to  @ davesrose's post |  #118

We know that Canon is working on at least 2 other EOS-R type cameras. We also know that the one below the released EOS R will be the next to hit the market. These are from Canon,s' words/interviews and not supposition by forum members.

Knowing how conservative Canon is, their pro model will be in the hands of selected individuals for quite some time to make sure all kinks are ironed out. Since that camera will be the most elaborate of the 3, it will take longer to get it out. I expect to see something in March, and then again probably in August/Sept.

We also know IBIS is in the works, as are potentially higher resolution sensors. That is based on patent filings and also from interviews (at least the IBIS part).

It shall be an exciting 2019 to see what they bring and when they bring it.

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,161 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by nqjudo.

Nov 11, 2018 00:20 |  #119

umphotography wrote in post #18748479 (external link)
I dont know what you are not getting

Tell ya what. Go put a current 50L on the R body with an adapter and put the new 50R on the body and compare file to file. I have already seen 1 comparison shot. There is no comparison. The new 50R makes the current 50L look like dog poop. All you have to do is look. Explorer of light shooters are very tight lipped right now an just cant out that stuff on social media. But im sure the testers will have those comparisons very soon.

I think you're trying to obfuscate the issue. I never made or paid attention to any comparison between the D5 and the 1DxII nor do I care to. The point I am trying to make there is about you making a huge fuss about Nikon introducing a better camera than the 1Dx only to fall in love with the 1DxII a very short while later. It doesn't matter which one you think is 'better' because you chose the one that was better or you even after speculating about making the jump to Nikon. It speaks clearly to the fact that somewhere you believe that 'better' is not necessarily the best. It was a point that I made in a larger context regarding your apparent predilection for making dramatic, reactionary statements based on emotion rather than facts. It's fine for you to be passionate about something but don't try to convince me that you know the future. Explorers of light, etc.? Really??? Explorers of light have a direct benefit from endorsing products so they have to be excluded from the argument. This is true in any important study where neutrality is paramount. Just ask anyone who works in a scientific field. Anyway, all of this chatter about better and best is pretty much irrelevant. It goes back to the same old story. The last time I checked the best photos around were about subject, composition and lighting. If you can explain to me how purchase somehow became more important than practice and how some of the best photographs ever taken were done so with cameras that are archaic compared to entry-level bodies available today maybe I'll listen more attentively to this gear frenzy. And I'm sorry you think I'm 'messing' with you but I actually enjoy the occasional spirited debate and no one has said anything disrespectful here thus far. I enjoy your comments often and you've gotten more than a few likes from me but we don't have to agree on everything. If you want to agree to disagree and call it quits that's fine. I don't think we're going to change each other's minds here nor do I think we'll influence anyone else.

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,161 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 11, 2018 00:38 |  #120

ed rader wrote in post #18748483 (external link)
if it bothers you stay off the thread. we all have skin in the game in EF equipment. no one here is shaping opinion. we are speculating and planning.

Ed, come on. We're having a debate here that is well within the spirit and rules of the forum. No one is getting nasty. Stay off the thread? I think that comment is a little out of line. The tone of the written word is hard to interpret but everyone has responded to you politely in this thread as far as I can ascertain. No need for you to go there.

sponsored links

10,985 views & 131 likes for this thread
No new releases for EF lens for 2019- per Canon
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.