Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 07 Nov 2018 (Wednesday) 16:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Helping my Mom get started in photography

bradleyheathhays
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 07, 2018 16:04 |  #1

My mother has always wanted to take a photography class but her mobility issue has kept her from achieving her goal. So this Christmas I'd like to see what I can do to make this happen for her. I'm looking for recommendations for both online intro to photography classes and an appropriate camera. At 64 Mom tends to get frustrated more easily now with technical matters so I doubt she would like to take things any further than just your average amateur photo education. Her goal is basically just to get out and start taking pictures.

Can anyone suggest a good online intro to photography course as well as a camera that would suit our purpose? I believe she'd like a more traditional model camera with changeable lenses and a focus ring. For a guideline I could do about $300 for the camera now with the idea of upgrading with more lenses later.  Other than that we're wide open to suggestions.

thanks

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,255 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 3 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Nov 07, 2018 17:38 |  #2

For 300 you might find a Canon SL1 and 18-55 kit lens, but that is a pretty limited set up, especially for someone who is not fully mobile. That is a discontinued, very lowest of the line body and lens, nothing wrong with it at all. However it's all about the lens and 18-55 is a pretty small zoom range. I suspect she would be much better served with an all in one. These cameras have become very capable and the amount of zoom on some is just incredible. Way more than you could ever get in a simple DSLR package.

Today's cameras all have very good autofocus. With that being the case, the manual focus features are lacking. Frankly I would avoid it all together unless you go with a camera that supports "focus peaking" through the LCD screen or a electronic viewfinder. Or an old film camera.

For all in one cameras, any of the Canon SX line are very capable. I bought one for my mom years ago, SX 100 I think. She used it for a while and hasn't touched it in years.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,734 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 07, 2018 18:26 |  #3

For someone just starting out, I would go the bridge camera route. It gives you most of the capabilities of a SLR but the ease of use of a P/S. Something like a Canon PowerShot (SX420 / SX530, both under #400) or a Nikon Coolpix, Sony or Panasonic Lumix. That will allow you mom to concentrate on the artistic side of photography and as her skill and interest grow, look for a used SLR down the road.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Nov 07, 2018 18:37 |  #4

How about a Canon G15 or G16? You should be able to find a good used one at under $400. I definitely woudn't get her a DSLR.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,255 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 12, 2018 08:04 |  #5

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1501314

I'm not familiar with the Sigma lens, but this looks like a real good deal.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,303 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 12, 2018 08:48 |  #6

With all those high megapixel photos she will be shooting, Mom will need more hard drive space too.

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,830 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 12, 2018 18:49 |  #7

Is there a camera store or Best Buy around so she can hold a few camera bodies and see what feels comfortable?

T3i etc. and bigger could feel clunky, or it could feel good.

Personally, my M5 is a tad small to hold, but sure appreciate the light weight and compact lenses. Maybe a small mirrorless would feel good in hand. No shortage of brands to choose from.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,460 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 12, 2018 19:15 |  #8

Another Perspective:

About any semi-modern digital camera will do, so focus your effort on finding some personal help so your mom can have support in learning both shooting and processing. She "tends to get frustrated . . . with technical matters" so online courses may hurt more than they can help. Some women at age 64 are or are on track to become tech wizards. Others are not.

Unless you live in the same area finding personal help could be difficult but, I suggest, worth considerable time and effort. There might be a camera club in the area, perhaps even a club with an older membership. Someone in the neighbor may be perfect or a kid from the local high school.

Best wishes to you and your mom.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

jeraldjcook
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 30, 2018 13:36 |  #9

With only $300 the new camera options are quite limited if you think she'd want a SLR or mirrorless camera. I buy quite a bit of refurbished gear directly from Canon's official store. Right now they have a Rebel T6, 18-55 kit lens, and the non-IS 70-300 for only $340. It's very hard to beat that deal. The only downside to the T6 is the autofocus system and the lack of swivel LCD (if that matters).

https://shop.usa.canon​.com …mm-f-4-56-iii-refurbished (external link)

If used is okay, I'd try to find a used T6i due to the better autofocus and swivel LCD.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,814 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 30, 2018 14:21 |  #10

The local photography clubs I've belonged to over the years seem like the kind of thing your mom would enjoy and gain from. . They are usually a bunch of laid-back hobbyists who just like to get together with other people to talk about cameras and photography. . They welcome newcomers, especially beginners.

Having people take her under their wing once every two weeks or whatever would probably be more enjoyable than taking a course. . But I guess that depends on her personality. . They also have group shoots from time to time, where the group gets together informally at a given location that has good picture-taking opportunities, such as at a local park or gardens or whatever.

I'd at least Google photography clubs or camera clubs in her area and see what is available.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links

1,568 views & 1 like for this thread
Helping my Mom get started in photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.