Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

DigitalTuned
All these thoughts give me nightmares
4,531 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 12, 2018 00:51 as a reply to  @ post 18749128 |  #691

Thank you

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
facebook - (external link) - 500px (external link)

sponsored links
nardes
Goldmember
1,497 posts
Gallery: 271 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 12, 2018 00:56 |  #692

Wedge Tail Eagle and Peregrine Falcon, taken at the birds of prey flight show today, Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary, Brisbane.

Canon EOS R with RF 24-105mm F4L lens. Did I mention that this lens is sharp.:-)

Cheers

Dennis

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
15,751 posts
Gallery: 2431 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 12, 2018 05:53 |  #693

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18749279 (external link)
It should not crop to 1.6x with an EF lens.
Something is not right, or were miscommunicating something.

Not automatically jake but intentionally..

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,459 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 12, 2018 08:12 |  #694

nardes wrote in post #18749293 (external link)
Wedge Tail Eagle and Peregrine Falcon, taken at the birds of prey flight show today, Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary, Brisbane.

Canon EOS R with RF 24-105mm F4L lens. Did I mention that this lens is sharp.:-)

Cheers

Dennis
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by nardes in
./showthread.php?p=187​49293&i=i91186369
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by nardes in
./showthread.php?p=187​49293&i=i224526111
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Outstanding

Please Do me a favor and post these pics in this thread in the lens forum. I would like a few people to see these files. They really dont understand how good the R optics are and why people are going to migrate to R glass. This is a perfect example as to how much superior the R glass is. Try to compare a 24-105 L to this 24-105 R mount optics.....There is no comparison

https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18749168

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Nismode
Goldmember
1,807 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 12, 2018 11:24 |  #695

It's an optional crop guys.... Selectable from the Q menu while shooting. Helpful to get quick extra reach (at the expense of going to 12MP).

EF-S lenses automatically crop down, EF lenses (and 3rd party APS-C lenses) don't.

flickr (external link)|ModelMayhem (external link)|Instagram (external link)
EOS R|6D2|6D|EOS M5|Mavic Air|Mavic 2 Zoom
EF-M 22 f/2|EF-M 15-45 IS|Rokinon 12 f/2 (EF-M)
Σ12-24mm II|Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8|40mm f/2.8 STM|50mm f/1.8 STM|50mm f/1.4|85mm f/1.8|70-210 f/4|Σ150mm f/2.8 Macro
Godox AD-200 (x2)|V860 II (x2)|V350c

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,562 posts
Gallery: 327 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 12, 2018 11:54 |  #696

Nismode wrote in post #18749568 (external link)
It's an optional crop guys.... Selectable from the Q menu while shooting. Helpful to get quick extra reach (at the expense of going to 12MP).

EF-S lenses automatically crop down, EF lenses (and 3rd party APS-C lenses) don't.

I do not see how this gives you extra reach. The reason it gives extra reach on a crop body is because you are getting a the same optics on a larger sensor. In this case, you are just discarding information from around the "crop" and not giving you additional pixels. You are better off just capturing the whole frame and cropping in post - you will get the same result. Just by hitting "Crop" in the menus doesn't change the optics of your glass to give you "quick extra reach"

Canon EOS M6 - EOS R - EF, EF-M and RF lenses
Donate for Forum Costs

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,527 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited 3 months ago by MakisM1. (3 edits in all)

Nov 12, 2018 12:09 |  #697

randy98mtu wrote in post #18749585 (external link)
I do not see how this gives you extra reach. The reason it gives extra reach on a crop body is because you are getting a the same optics on a larger sensor. In this case, you are just discarding information from around the "crop" and not giving you additional pixels. You are better off just capturing the whole frame and cropping in post - you will get the same result. Just by hitting "Crop" in the menus doesn't change the optics of your glass to give you "quick extra reach"

You are correct! Especially since all 3rd party lenses will vignette to some degree. It behooves one to save as many pixels as possible by doing the crop in post.

As an example, my Sigma 8-16. At 8 mm you get significant vignetting. You pretty much crop everything outside the APS-C form.

But at 16 mm you get no vignetting. You get a 16 mm FF photo!

If you opt for the 'automatic' crop, you loose all the pixels beyond the APS-C form.

For the in-between focal lengths, you get in-between results...:-D

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

HyperCams
Goldmember
1,443 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2010
Post edited 3 months ago by HyperCams.

Nov 12, 2018 13:19 |  #698

The only time I would see that being useful would be like in other brand/models where the crop factor gives you more FPS...
Does the R give you the same FPS with/without cropping in camera?
If the same, no benefit

Brent Oliver
HyperCams & Mods (external link)/Oliver Digital Images
My Flickr (external link)
Feedback and Gear

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,162 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 12, 2018 13:51 |  #699

Pixels aside this kind of crop feature can be useful. Sometimes I prefer crop bodies over FF because with equivalent glass they just let me see the subject a lot better. Very useful to have the extra magnification sometimes when birding and if you've got more of your subject in frame it's easier if you want selective focus. If you've got 12Mp and they're quality you can still get an excellent and sizeable print from it.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,562 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 12, 2018 14:43 |  #700

Need to get these files in the computer but I’m waiting for my kids and fooling around between the R and the Sony R3. Looking like Canon brought out something people underestimated. Shooting the black floor mats in my car. iSO 12800, f4 at 1/8 second the Canon locks faster and holds better. And the final result looks like it has less noise. Have to see if the preview has noise reduction applied though.

Donate for Forum Costs

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
15,751 posts
Gallery: 2431 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 12, 2018 16:23 |  #701

randy98mtu wrote in post #18749713 (external link)
Need to get these files in the computer but I’m waiting for my kids and fooling around between the R and the Sony R3. Looking like Canon brought out something people underestimated. Shooting the black floor mats in my car. iSO 12800, f4 at 1/8 second the Canon locks faster and holds better. And the final result looks like it has less noise. Have to see if the preview has noise reduction applied though.

Interesting.... I found this sensor super good at incredible iso's as well. I shot a a7rIII in sept for a few days and found the EVF to be 1/2 as good as this R for clarity in seeing just where focus was on the subjects and the highlights to be much nicer in the R... all around better EVF

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

WilsonFlyer
569 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 12, 2018 17:06 |  #702

I know some of you guys have both a 7/III and an R now. I'd love to hear thoughts instead of just watching Youtube videos.

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,562 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 12, 2018 17:30 |  #703

These are my very non-scientific comparisons. And the differences are pretty minor in my opinion. I was sitting in the car waiting to pick up my kids from school. I found that shooting at the footwell on the passenger side was pretty low light and a good low light test comparison. Both are 35mm, ISO 12,800. The EOS R was the RF 24-105, so it's at f/4. The A7R3 had the FE 35mm f/2.8 Zeiss. So the Canon shot is at f/4, 1/8th of a second (hand held) and the Sony was at f/2.8, 1/13th. I tried one with the Sony at f/4, metering put it at 1/6th of a second and it was horribly blurry. I should have tried again maybe. The first comparison is at 2:1, the second is at 1:1. These captures are pretty close to the center of the frame. Out at the edges the Sony images have more detail, but remember we are comparing a prime with a zoom.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

I'll give you my thoughts and then tell you which is which. First, I am finding the Canon locks on faster and more accurately. I have been shooting Canon since 2007, so the camera just feels at home in my hand. The Sony grip is a bit tight for my hand and my middle knuckle ends up wedged against the lens and as a result is has felt like it is bruised for a long time. Controls wise I think they are kind of a wash. There are things I like better about both, but again, I just prefer Canon. Speed/performance wise, the Canon turns on faster. The Sony has always bothered me that when I hit zoom when I'm reviewing an image, it takes a noticeable time. The Canon feels instant. Once you are zoomed in, the Sony lets you pan around on the touch screen. Canon lets you pinch to zoom, swipe through images, etc. Feels just like a modern smartphone. Much better than the Sony.

So those are my general thoughts. I'm happy to try to do more comparisons and tests. This was very impromptu and not well controlled. I'm honestly starting to think my Sony gear might all be going up for sale, but I'll give that a few more weeks.

Donate for Forum Costs

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,829 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by mdvaden. (4 edits in all)

Nov 12, 2018 17:59 |  #704

randy98mtu wrote in post #18749713 (external link)
Need to get these files in the computer but I’m waiting for my kids and fooling around between the R and the Sony R3. Looking like Canon brought out something people underestimated.

I think Canon brought out something that even scares a couple other brands and users. For the USA I'm not certain, but an interesting article I stumbled upon noted Canon already gained 22% of Full Frame market in Japan. And aside from these numbers, the EOS R shoots gorgeous photos regardless. I still think it is worth every dime of the price tag. I can capture better photos with the EOS R than the 5D mk iii I bought for almost $2800 refurbished a couple years ago.

October 2018 Full Frame Marketshare in Japan

67% Sony (early 2018 was 99.5%)

22.1% Canon

10.4% Nikon

Meanwhile ... one more amidst a vine maple in the redwood forest.

HOSTED PHOTO

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,829 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 12, 2018 19:07 |  #705

Dustin Abbott Finally Chimes In !!

A video I sort of expected to see weeks ago.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

sponsored links

206,671 views & 6,234 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.