Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 16 Sep 2018 (Sunday) 11:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EOS R has Crucified my thoughts about changing to Sony

this thread is locked
mystik610
Cream of the Crop
8,533 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 06, 2018 07:43 |  #271

nqjudo wrote in post #18744503 (external link)
I don't really have a dog in this fight but I did have an a7rii that the rainforests and deserts of Madagascar turned into a paperweight in 4 days. That wasn't such a problem as I had backup gear but the worst part was dealing with Sony for repair. That is what really set Canon and Nikon apart for me. I just can't see anyone serious about photography or having to rely on gear putting up with the kind of service I got from Sony which amounted to a total brush off and a big loss for me. I can't say whether things have changed since but my point isn't about which is better or worse in absolute terms. At the end of the day the choices and circumstances that determine how satisfied an individual consumer may or may not be with a product are as individual as themselves. Beyond that you're debating in a vacuum. Who really cares what anyone else does when you're looking for a product that suits your individual needs. Just because NASA takes a certain camera into space it doesn't mean it is suitable for everyone.

Sony Pro Support is top notch if you go through them....free overnight shipping both ways, fast turn-around, and overnighted loaners via lens rentals if you need it. Non Pro Support service historically has not been the greatest.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

sponsored links
nqjudo
Goldmember
3,162 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 06, 2018 08:39 |  #272

mystik610 wrote in post #18745122 (external link)
Sony Pro Support is top notch if you go through them....free overnight shipping both ways, fast turn-around, and overnighted loaners via lens rentals if you need it. Non Pro Support service historically has not been the greatest.

That's exactly the point I'm trying to make. Everyone's requirements and circumstances are different. I've had excellent non-pro and CPS support from Canon and Nikon. Your post goes far to point out an important distinction for those who may not want to pay for pro support. In any case I feel corporations should offer support that is better than 'not the greatest'. Especially when those products come at a premium price. My whole point is that everyone's equation is different so I don't see the big deal with different solutions. Even if they aren't mine.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,831 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by mdvaden.

Nov 08, 2018 19:40 |  #273

One of the first redwood tree photos I've taken with the Canon EOS R and RF 50mm 1.2 ... I also used the 85mm 1.2 ii L and Tamron 24-70mm 2.8, but this particular one is the RF 50mm ... I didn't bring a tripod since most of the day was portraits hand held.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,997 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 09, 2018 00:49 |  #274

mdvaden wrote in post #18746899 (external link)
One of the first redwood tree photos I've taken with the Canon EOS R and RF 50mm 1.2 ... I also used the 85mm 1.2 ii L and Tamron 24-70mm 2.8, but this particular one is the RF 50mm ... I didn't bring a tripod since most of the day was portraits hand held.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by mdvaden in
./showthread.php?p=187​46899&i=i259115178
forum: Changing Camera Brands

Ummmmmm BIG TREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,831 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 09, 2018 01:54 |  #275

AlanU wrote in post #18747055 (external link)
Ummmmmm BIG TREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Its an amazing tree. That's just the first 30 feet of its 307 foot height.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

cug
125 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Nov 09, 2018 01:56 as a reply to  @ mdvaden's post |  #276

I love the photo, but I just have to say: you know that the Sequoias have their roots VERY shallow in the ground and it's HIGHLY discouraged to go close to a tree, as you are damaging the roots. Don't be offended, I'd just like you to know.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,337 posts
Gallery: 155 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 09, 2018 21:26 |  #277

mdvaden wrote in post #18746899 (external link)

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=187​46899&i=i259115178

Did you notice that there were two tiny little fairies near the bottom of that otherwise normally sized pine tree?

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,831 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by mdvaden. (7 edits in all)

Nov 09, 2018 21:38 |  #278

cug wrote in post #18747072 (external link)
I love the photo, but I just have to say: you know that the Sequoias have their roots VERY shallow in the ground and it's HIGHLY discouraged to go close to a tree, as you are damaging the roots. Don't be offended, I'd just like you to know.

Your speculation is incorrect in this case, but certain trees in certain locations could experience what you are referring too. I've got several pages online detailing specifics of soil compaction, movement of gases in soil and drainage situations. The redwoods have just cast their needles buffering a thick layer that makes compaction or root damage impossible around this tree. That's why in urban areas a recommended strategy is to thick mulch under trees in construction zones to buffer equipment driving over soil root zones. I work with trees in urban areas, but also worked part time with the scientists and tree surveyors over several years in Redwood National Park. So I had years to learn and recognize the difference between feeble and durable conditions.

Cheers,

M . D. Vaden
Certified Arborist

cug
125 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Nov 09, 2018 22:44 |  #279

Fair enough. It wasn’t visible where the girls are standing and whether the soil/roots are exposed there. But it’s always better to be careful than to be careless like so many people.

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,009 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 13, 2018 20:45 |  #280

Te Canon EOS R has just too many things missing to make it a viable choice for me.

I'm a Canon shooter and have been shooting that brand for fifty years (Since the Canon FTB film SLR camera). I still shoot with my 7D2 and my 6D2 but, I have also fallen in love with the Sony A6500...

One of the many hings that Sony offers, which CANIKON have neglected to put into their cameras is Eye AF. Sure photographers have shot images forever without Eye AF but, if you try it, you may like it. After-all, photographers shot images for years without meters in their cameras but, who would buy a 21st Century camera without a meter?

I love the combination of the A6500 and the Sony 85mm f/1.8 lens. I have customized the camera so that the focus hold button on the lens activates the Eye AF...

I also like the focus peaking and focus assist. Combine these with IBIS and the Sony cameras give new life to many old lenses. I have a Russian Helios 58mm f/2 lens and am expecting te delivery of a Zeiss 135mm Triotar f/4 lens which is well over 50 years old but produces really awe inspiring Bokeh...

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,162 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 13, 2018 21:17 |  #281

RPCrowe wrote in post #18750655 (external link)
Te Canon EOS R has just too many things missing to make it a viable choice for me.

I'm a Canon shooter and have been shooting that brand for fifty years (Since the Canon FTB film SLR camera). I still shoot with my 7D2 and my 6D2 but, I have also fallen in love with the Sony A6500...

One of the many hings that Sony offers, which CANIKON have neglected to put into their cameras is Eye AF. Sure photographers have shot images forever without Eye AF but, if you try it, you may like it. After-all, photographers shot images for years without meters in their cameras but, who would buy a 21st Century camera without a meter?

I love the combination of the A6500 and the Sony 85mm f/1.8 lens. I have customized the camera so that the focus hold button on the lens activates the Eye AF...

I also like the focus peaking and focus assist. Combine these with IBIS and the Sony cameras give new life to many old lenses. I have a Russian Helios 58mm f/2 lens and am expecting te delivery of a Zeiss 135mm Triotar f/4 lens which is well over 50 years old but produces really awe inspiring Bokeh...

I think your rationale is perfectly valid. For my purposes the smaller bodies represent too much of a hurdle in terms of ergonomics and weather sealing. Particularly in the winter. At the end of the day what matters is you’ve got the camera that gets you the shots you want. Choice is good.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,291 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 13, 2018 22:01 |  #282

One of my coworker did this video using his mirrorless, Fuji GFX. I know much different price bracket but don't knock down ergonomics, weather sealing etc for all the mirrorless out there. Sony is good in tech, but that's it. Wish Fuji can make a camera with tech as good as Sony. The new XT3 is almost there. Let us see what GFX100s brings.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=Zb5kNP994hw (external link)

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,831 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 13, 2018 22:03 |  #283

Shared this one in the other EOS R thread recently. Canon 85mm 1.2 using the adapter, Phottix Odin & Speedlite behind the tree.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,467 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 14, 2018 08:04 |  #284

mdvaden wrote in post #18750680 (external link)
Shared this one in the other EOS R thread recently. Canon 85mm 1.2 using the adapter, Phottix Odin & Speedlite behind the tree.

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=187​50680&i=i44591847

Looks like the 85 F/1.2 has found a new life on the R. Great news for 85 1.2 owners

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,291 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by bobbyz. (2 edits in all)

Nov 14, 2018 08:25 |  #285

So how well focus at f1.2 works with R? That was my biggest issue when shooting with 5dmk3. Had to use f2 most of the time and keep my shutter at 1/200 or higher.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

sponsored links

13,348 views & 158 likes for this thread
Canon EOS R has Crucified my thoughts about changing to Sony
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.