Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 01 Nov 2018 (Thursday) 17:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flickr changes- free accounts limited to 1000 images.

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,404 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 14, 2018 01:46 |  #121

ptcanon3ti wrote in post #18750705 (external link)
Nothing can stop screen shots. But they are not going to be the same as a high resolution download.

Select the highest resolution available and then do several screen shots of different areas of the image and then stitch them together.

Some days I'm the dog, some days I'm the lamppost.

sponsored links
DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,969 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 14, 2018 01:59 |  #122

ptcanon3ti wrote in post #18750635 (external link)
Well then Flickr should add image security for their fee. Anyone can steal anything from Flickr.

how are people stealing anything on flickr? screenshots?

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Nogo
World Record Holding Most Boring Commenter
7,390 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited 3 months ago by Nogo.

Nov 14, 2018 03:14 |  #123

DreDaze wrote in post #18750760 (external link)

They can also go to the source code and find the actual image file. I won't say how it can be done so dishonest people won't try it, but anyone who knows how to debug a website can figure it out.

As others have noted, the only sure way to protect yourself is to limit the resolution of the images.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

samueli
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Feb 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by samueli. (3 edits in all)

Nov 14, 2018 08:12 |  #124

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #18743119 (external link)
The thing is that under Yahoo management pro members were encouraged to switch to a free account. Because free accounts have ads. This was important for advertisers and Yahoo just wanted to make money. So we got offered free accounts with unlimited space. I had been a pro member from the start but switched to a free account not long ago. Now, under Smugmug management this is turning against us. People uploaded tons of images because they were encouraged to do so and now they need to pay to keep up or have anything above 1000 images deleted. That's simply not right.

Sure, Smugmug can increase flickr fees, even though a 100% increase is rather steep. But to delete photos is just wrong.

When Photobucket pulled its trick it kind of broke the internet. All those holes everywhere, images replaced by ugly placeholders. Photobucket became the most hated company around. Now Smugmug deleting images on flickr will result in even more broken links and ugly placeholders. I do not for one second believe that of all non-paying members only 3% have more than 1000 images in their photostream. It is simply not true. And then again, if it is indeed only 3%, then why bother with them at all? It would be negligible. And as Pekka said earlier, it makes no sense to allow high res uploads when the free accounts need to be reduced to 1000 images because of space.

But whatever it is, deleting images is wrong!

I agree here. Sure, TOS; they can so whatever they want. But, if the business model has long been free reliable storage and images are linked in places all over the web for a good part of the life of the internet, you kinda have a responsibility in maintaining internet integrity. I'm not being silly in my response, either. If you are contributing to global knowledge via the internet in an impactful way, even if in a backbone or storage capacity, you have some responsibility to maintain that integrity, or hand it off in a way that it can be sufficiently maintained. This change isn't the only possible way to boost revenue.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,313 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 14, 2018 08:35 |  #125

john crossley wrote in post #18750752 (external link)
You CAN select an area in High Sierra.

I always used Command, Shift, 3 which took the entire screen. I never explored anything beyond that because if needed an isolated area I just used Grab. Sometimes when I wanted to take a shot of a particular area the drop down menu would disappear so I'd use Command, Shift, 3 and crop.

Mojave is now called Screen Shot instead of Grab. You can still use Command, Shift, 3 for the whole screen. I'll have a look to see where I can control the size of a screen shot not using Grab.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,036 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 14, 2018 09:21 |  #126

DreDaze wrote in post #18750760 (external link)

Right click. Download.

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,313 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 14, 2018 09:24 |  #127

So it is Command, Shift, 4. The utility Grab is just as handy to use expect for the drop downs which I did a full screen shot. That was just text so IQ didn't matter. Another option that is good to know about.

Image Editing OK

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,404 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 14, 2018 10:56 |  #128

digital paradise wrote in post #18750909 (external link)
So it is Command, Shift, 4. The utility Grab is just as handy to use expect for the drop downs which I did a full screen shot. That was just text so IQ didn't matter. Another option that is good to know about.

Command Shift 4 Spacebar will give you a little camera icon that you can use for menus and dialogue boxes.

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
8,394 posts
Gallery: 1716 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 14, 2018 11:08 |  #129

I just got my flickr account up and running again - I had to work through flickr by email, they swapped my email accounts over as I could not get into it by my old email, I had 2600 pics in there so Im being ruthless and chopping what I dont need and downloading back into my hdd what I might want to keep.
Atleast its a good oportunity to do soe spring cleaning and only keep what I really want.

P.

Some stuff.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,313 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 14, 2018 11:20 |  #130

john crossley wrote in post #18750949 (external link)
Command Shift 4 Spacebar will give you a little camera icon that you can use for menus and dialogue boxes.

Thanks. I did a search and found it. Another good tool. Grab was only annoying for drop downs when doing a screen shot to illustrate something on forum but that was seldom.

Image Editing OK

Alveric
Goldmember
4,587 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 14, 2018 14:36 |  #131

Flickr actually has a download button that allows anyone to grab images:

IMAGE: http://diamantstudios.ca/Gemeines/Bilder/Flickr_dwnld.jpg

It's always been there, in one form or another. Thus, if you wanna protect your images, upload them in crappy res, watermark them, or host them elsewhere, like your own website.

Who hasn't done screen grabs online?

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,404 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 14, 2018 14:41 |  #132

Alveric wrote in post #18751080 (external link)

QUOTED IMAGE

It's always been there, in one form or another. Thus, if you wanna protect your images, upload them in crappy res, watermark them, or host them elsewhere, like your own website.

Unless of course the Account Holder has disabled downloading.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,969 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 14, 2018 15:22 |  #133

ptcanon3ti wrote in post #18750908 (external link)
Right click. Download.

you can't right click and have download as on option on the images...at least i can't on my PC

Alveric wrote in post #18751080 (external link)

QUOTED IMAGE

you can only download if the user allows it...i disabled downloads except for family and friends...so you can see a larger size of the image, but i still don't see how you could actually steal anything, aside from a screengrab

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Capn ­ Jack
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,256 posts
Gallery: 989 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 14, 2018 16:32 |  #134

I guess I'm lucky....I've nothing worth stealing  :p

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,313 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 14, 2018 16:40 |  #135

Capn Jack wrote in post #18751139 (external link)
I guess I'm lucky....I've nothing worth stealing  :p

Me too.

Image Editing OK

sponsored links

4,489 views & 87 likes for this thread
Flickr changes- free accounts limited to 1000 images.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.