Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 12 Nov 2018 (Monday) 22:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

In search of some monitor recommendations!

kaitlyn2004
Goldmember
1,636 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 12, 2018 22:45 |  #1

I've started my search and been a bit overwhelmed and indecisive, possibly because I am not quite sure what I want.

My last monitor was a Dell U2713HM but I sold that before I moved and am not rebuilding my computer setup. I am looking at predominantly photo editing with some video editing as well. Then other casual browsing and whatnot. Zero gaming.

I prefer 16:10 resolution, but that seems very rare/expensive these days. The biggest change SEEMS to be more availability than a default UltraSharp, and 4K. I heard so many different opinions on 4K @ 27", with many people saying that Windows won't scale well and you're effectively scaling to a 2560x1440 resolution. I've also heard people say it can work against you, as zooming a photo 1:1 isn't that useful since pixels are small and you can miss details. Then I heard its far preferred for video work... Then of course there is something in the 30-32" range, which I think I would be open to, as long as the quality is there without a ballooning pricetag.

So, yeah... I think I am looking 27-32" inch, color coverage is important but I am not looking for the TOP of the line (and most expensive...). Very unsure about 4K. Sort of trying to find the middleground of the best value I guess, that doesn't sacrifice too much.

If I use something like a wide-gamut/higher colorspace monitor - how do I correctly work out for my destination usage - which may mostly be web. Would I have problems using a monitor that had a wider color space than sRGB, which MOST others would have?

So, yeah. At a bit of a loss. Really appreciate some guidance here!

New Zealand Travel Photography (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,954 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 13, 2018 04:33 |  #2

I'm running a Dell UP2715K which is the 27" 5K monitor they used to sell. I think it has the same panel as the 5K iMacs. Don't worry about the resolution at 4K at this size either, as long as you are running Win 10 the scaling is excellent, it was at the time I got it better than was available on my friends iMac. I run mine at 175% for normal windows programs, it usually recommends 200%, which on a monitor that is 219 PPI is actually about right for comparison to most non HiDPI 27" screens. Screen real estate might be at about the same size, since many monitors are running about 110 PPI or so, but the windows scaling is running at the full resolution, and is really taking advantage of it when doing things like font smoothing. It's why I can take advantage of running at 175%.

As far as working on images goes I would really like a monitor that ran at 300PPI, so I could get 1:1 scaling on my print output. If you use Adobe programs you will need to move to Lr6 as a minimum, and I think CC for Ps for HiDPI support. Adobe don't use the normal Windows screen drawing APIs, so you can't use the OS scaling options. Some open source programs also have this issue. Viewing images at 1:1 view is still relevant, you soon get used to the new output resolution. My one niggle with Lr is that in Loupe view you have to be in Fit as the viewing ratio to use the scroll wheel on a normal mouse. When I first had the monitor the then current Lr version would limit fit to screen to a maximum of 1:1, which was nice. Any image that would fit inside the viewing window would be size limited. Anything bigger would be shrunk down to fit. Now there is no limit to the magnification of Fit to View, an image that is 288 pixels high will be interpolated to fill up to 2880 px. Where in the past I have keepers that might be cropped as far as 1024px on the short edge if being used on screen only, if you scroll to one of those you end up thinking what was I thinking keeping that. A quick change to 1:1 view usually works. I do now routinely check images at 2:1 so that I will see them at the same size as those using a normal resolution screen.

When it comes to colour spaces, I use the Dell monitor management software that comes with the monitor. I think it works with most of the UltraSharp monitors. This allows you to change the colour space in use on the monitor on the fly. I usually have it set to auto. For Lr and other programs that use it I have it set to AdobeRGB. Lr uses AdobeRGB in all but the Develop module, so it is a good choice for Lr. When I swap to a browser though I switch to sRGB. Although browsers are now mostly colour managed, many images have no colour info at all. So defaulting the browser to work in sRGB seems like a good idea. Properly tagged wide gamut images will be correctly converted to sRGB, and sRGB ought to be the closest match to any images with no tags. It really works for me, but I was caught out by Premier, I thought it was supposed to be colour managed, so had it set up to use P3, a common wide gamut specification for video work. It turns out that Premier is only capable of working internally at sRGB, and only outputs sRGB to the screen.

I would be looking for the highest resolution screen I could get at any size. Resolutions up to 3880px wide 4K are not an issue, but above that you can hit some snags. The higher resolutions often still need dual connections, because although many screens claim to support Displayport 3, they can really only manage DP2 speeds reliably. You will usually require an actual GPU to support this, the minimum that I know of is an Nvidia GTX 960, I think you have to go with a 1060 if looking for a new card. I have no idea on ATI cards. Wide Gamut is good too, but I would be looking for a monitor that came with management software that allows you to swap spaces on the fly.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,636 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 13, 2018 12:43 |  #3

I seem to keep coming back to the BenQ SW2700PT and PD3200U - 27" "Adobe RGB Monitor" or 32" "4K Post Production Monitor" - having never used a wide-gamut monitor OR color-calibrated my own monitor (or even owned/used a calibrator...) I worry the wide-gamut 27" might be too much for me, if not even create problems for me. On the other hand, I might find it makes things much better and clearer.

On the other hand, the 32" one has 4K and 100 sRGB, so I feel like I'd be fine for SO MANY cases. Except I can't even find a reported Adobe RGB coverage and it doesn't have a gamut switch like the SW2700...

Why does everything have to be so confusing :(

philmar
Cream of the Crop
7,648 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 14, 2018 14:37 as a reply to  @ kaitlyn2004's post |  #4

If you read some of the online reviews of the BenQ SW2700PT you'll find that many of the reviewers found that the monitor came out of the box properly calibrated.

A photo I took HERE published in National GeographicTime on your hands? Then HERE'S plenty more photos to nibble on (external link):
http://https …photos/phil_mar​ion/albums (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,273 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 3 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Nov 14, 2018 16:06 |  #5

Kaitlyn, what post processing software will you be using?

The older stand alone versions of Photoshop CAN NOT scale up the menus/texts to a readable size on 4K or higher res monitors, (regardless of what version Windows it is run on) only the subscription versions can.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,954 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 14, 2018 17:31 |  #6

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18751126 (external link)
Kaitlyn, what post processing software will you be using?

The older stand alone versions of Photoshop CAN NOT scale up the menus/texts to a readable size on 4K or higher res monitors, (regardless of what version Windows it is run on) only the subscription versions can.

Neither can quite a few open source programs either. I think GIMP has recently released a version with HiDPI support, but I'm yet to try it out.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by davesrose.

Nov 14, 2018 17:38 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #7

Photoshop CS6 supported highDPI for the Mac. With Windows it didn't. But even when I had Windows 7, Photoshop CS6, and a 4K monitor at work...I was able to get pretty good scaling with a hack outlined here:

Adobe App Scaling on High DPI Displays (FIX) (external link)

This hack did not work as well for some other programs (namely a 3D animation program known as Softimage). Text would be very blurry and some icons garbled. If you have Windows 10, though, it does have better compatibility settings for scaling legacy apps (which don't support scaling, or highDPI). I have a few programs (such as X-Rite calibration software) that don't support highDPI, and if I opened them without setting anything, they'll look tiny on the screen. However, you can go to the program file, right click on it and select properties. Then go to compatibility, click on "Change high DPI settings", check "Override high DPI scaling behavior..." and select System(Enhanced). I've found this setting scales legacy apps well and keeps their fonts crisp.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,636 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 14, 2018 23:04 |  #8

I'm on the latest lightroom+photoshop.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,273 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 15, 2018 08:56 |  #9

davesrose wrote in post #18751181 (external link)
Photoshop CS6 supported highDPI for the Mac. With Windows it didn't. But even when I had Windows 7, Photoshop CS6, and a 4K monitor at work...I was able to get pretty good scaling with a hack outlined here:

Adobe App Scaling on High DPI Displays (FIX) (external link)

This hack did not work as well for some other programs (namely a 3D animation program known as Softimage). Text would be very blurry and some icons garbled. If you have Windows 10, though, it does have better compatibility settings for scaling legacy apps (which don't support scaling, or highDPI). I have a few programs (such as X-Rite calibration software) that don't support highDPI, and if I opened them without setting anything, they'll look tiny on the screen. However, you can go to the program file, right click on it and select properties. Then go to compatibility, click on "Change high DPI settings", check "Override high DPI scaling behavior..." and select System(Enhanced). I've found this setting scales legacy apps well and keeps their fonts crisp.

The Hack can work for some, but it does not work in all cases. My laptop for instance, none of the many hacks I tried ever worked.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,273 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 15, 2018 08:57 |  #10

kaitlyn2004 wrote in post #18751407 (external link)
I'm on the latest lightroom+photoshop.

Then no need to concern yourself about text scaling in your post processing app on a 4k/5k monitor :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

sponsored links

638 views & 1 like for this thread
In search of some monitor recommendations!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.