Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 14 Nov 2018 (Wednesday) 10:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photo Editing Monitor

Karim1980
234 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 14, 2018 10:42 |  #1

Hello Everyone,

I am in the process of ordering a 32" 4k monitor for my photo editing. so far i have narrowed it down to BenQ sw320 4k and Dell up3216q. I am also in the process of buying a laptop Dell XPS 15 with 4k touch with i7 processor 32 gb ram and either 512 or 1TB nvme drive. I am wondering if I use of of the above mentioned monitors with the Dell laptop, will it degrade the quality or colours? Any advise, suggestion or feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

sponsored links
digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,314 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 14, 2018 14:38 |  #2

You will want a good calibrator.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,797 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 14, 2018 18:37 |  #3

What color space do you want? Check each monitor spec to see what percentage they are compliant to sRGB and AdobeRGB. Can be easier to do color editing of raw images shot in ProPhoto or AdobeRGB with a monitor calibrated to high compliance of AdobeRGB.

Karim1980
THREAD ­ STARTER
234 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 15, 2018 14:25 |  #4

Thank you both for your input. I was considering getting the xrite calibration tool as I have heard great feedback for it. I would like 100%srgb and 100% Adobe rgb which I believe both monitors offer. I will be using for photoshop and other software and I need the colours to match as I will be printing quite a lot. Eizo is too expensive for me right now.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,314 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 15, 2018 14:35 |  #5

I use i1Display Pro. Excellent product.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,722 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 15, 2018 14:48 |  #6

Also - be aware that there are plenty of applications and plug-in interfaces that assume sRGB or have no color management and these applications will display super saturated images, etc. on your wide(r) gamut display.

kirk

Kirk
---

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,954 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 15, 2018 18:39 |  #7

kirkt wrote in post #18751818 (external link)
Also - be aware that there are plenty of applications and plug-in interfaces that assume sRGB or have no color management and these applications will display super saturated images, etc. on your wide(r) gamut display.

kirk

Dell seem to have that issue covered for their wide gamut monitors. I have a UP2715K and use the Dell monitor management software to dynamically switch colour profile on a per program basis. So I can have 99% AdobeRGB while using Lr/Ps, but as soon as I switch to a chrome browser I can have the monitor switch to 100% sRGB instead. I know that browsers are mostly colour managed these days, but so many images online are sRGB but without colour management data that defaulting to sRGB isn't really a loss.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Hen3Ry
Goldmember
1,055 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 16, 2018 10:26 as a reply to  @ BigAl007's post |  #8

How much do you want to spend? Check out NEC.

https://www.necdisplay​.com/p/displays/pa271q​-bk (external link)

Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là.

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,563 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 16, 2018 10:30 |  #9

Hen3Ry wrote in post #18752334 (external link)

YESSSS!

I got an NEC a few months ago. Top flight stuff they are.

And, as Digital Paradise said above, you'll need a good calibration system if you don't have one. Makes all the difference in the world.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

Karim1980
THREAD ­ STARTER
234 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 16, 2018 18:38 |  #10

Hen3Ry wrote in post #18752334 (external link)

Thank you. I will research on nec. I am okay to spend up to $2k Canadian. You think it's better than Benq 32" 4k model?

Hen3Ry
Goldmember
1,055 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 17, 2018 10:29 as a reply to  @ Karim1980's post |  #11

Here are the specs for the NEC current equivalents:

30” MultiSync PA302W-BK

30” MultiSync PA302W-BK
https://www.projectors​uperstore.com …tails.cfm?produ​ctId=78827 (external link)
GB-R LED backlight consumes 44% less power than a comparable CCFL backlight
99.3% coverage of AdobeRGB color space
Superior screen performance (1000:1 contrast ratio, 2560x1600 native resolution, 340cd/m2 brightness)
14-bit 3D internal programmable lookup tables (LUTs) for calibration
Picture in Picture and Picture by Picture modes increase productivity by displaying two sources simultaneously
MultiProfiler™ software provides complete control over the five picture modes, including the loading of any ICC profile directly into the monitor for optimal color space matching
DisplaySync ProTM controls two computers with only one keyboard and mouse
Wide connectivity includes both regular and Mini DisplayPort with 10-bit support, 10-bit HDMI, a DVI-D input as well as a USB hub
DisplayPort cable compatibility notice
NaViSet Administrator 2: Free software solution that greatly eases administration and management of larger display device installations
Available with SpectraViewII Color Calibration Kit (PA302W-BK-SV)
Available in white (PA302W)

NEC PA272W-B https://www.projectors​uperstore.com …tX8NZZPsSKbxoCo​ZkQAvD_BwE (external link)

GB-R LED backlight consumes 37% less power than a comparable CCFL backlight
Superior screen performance (1000:1 contrast ratio, 2560x1440 native resolution, 340cd/m2 brightness)
Picture in Picture and Picture by Picture modes increase productivity by displaying two sources simultaneously
MultiProfiler™ software provides complete control over the five picture modes, including the loading of any ICC profile directly into the monitor for optimal color space matching
Wide connectivity includes both regular and Mini DisplayPort with 10-bit support, 10-bit HDMI, a DVI-D input as well as a USB hub
NaViSet Administrator 2: Free software solution that greatly eases administration and management of larger display device installations

Karim1980
THREAD ­ STARTER
234 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 19, 2018 17:33 |  #12

Hen3Ry wrote in post #18752916 (external link)
Here are the specs for the NEC current equivalents:

30” MultiSync PA302W-BK

30” MultiSync PA302W-BK
https://www.projectors​uperstore.com …tails.cfm?produ​ctId=78827 (external link)
GB-R LED backlight consumes 44% less power than a comparable CCFL backlight
Superior screen performance (1000:1 contrast ratio, 2560x1600 native resolution, 340cd/m2 brightness)
Available with SpectraViewII Color Calibration Kit (PA302W-BK-SV)
Available in white (PA302W)

NEC PA272W-B https://www.projectors​uperstore.com …tX8NZZPsSKbxoCo​ZkQAvD_BwE (external link)

GB-R LED backlight consumes 37% less power than a comparable CCFL backlight
Superior screen performance (1000:1 contrast ratio, 2560x1440 native resolution, 340cd/m2 brightness)

Fron what incan understand the difference between the two models is 3 inches as mostly everything is the same? $700 extra for only 3" real estate doesnt justify the cost. I am still wondering if benq sw320 is a better offer compared to nec. I am really considering NEC and thinking of pulling the trigger on it this week.

Appreciate your input so far Henry. Thank you.

Hen3Ry
Goldmember
1,055 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 20, 2018 10:14 as a reply to  @ Karim1980's post |  #13

You are welcome. Personally today I'd go with the 27, but I currently have the previous generation's 30 inch, which is 16 x 10 rather than 16 x 9. It's totally trouble free, and as far as I can see, about as accurate as they come, although it takes 20 minutes to warm up.

But Craigslist is your friend. Be aware that there are a lot of folks out there that over-buy when they get into post processing, and then this kind of stuff just sits around when they get tired of not knowing what they are doing. I was able to buy my monitor and an Epson 3880 together for 800 bucks. They were both still in the box.

sponsored links

1,286 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photo Editing Monitor
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.