Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 16 Sep 2018 (Sunday) 11:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EOS R has Crucified my thoughts about changing to Sony

this thread is locked
umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,459 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 14, 2018 11:27 |  #286

bobbyz wrote in post #18750879 (external link)
So how well focus at f1.2 works with R? That was my biggest issue when shooting with 5dmk3. Had to use f2 most of the time and keep my shutter at 1/200 or higher.

Same and I finally set screw it and sold it Problem fixed with the sigma art 85mm. I tried everything ans was taking 3-4 shots to get one. Ticked me off

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,562 posts
Gallery: 327 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 14, 2018 11:48 |  #287

So how well focus at f1.2 works with R? That was my biggest issue when shooting with 5dmk3. Had to use f2 most of the time and keep my shutter at 1/200 or higher.

In my brief experience with the 50L 1.2 and the 85L II, the R does great with them. I was just reviewing examples and the hit rate is very high. The only miss I found going through 30 or so shots just now was 1 shot of my black and white dog where I was trying to focus on his eyes. Not an easy situation head on.

I haven't and am not planning to read this whole thread, but as someone who has shot Canon for 11 years and started dabbling in the A7R2 and now R3, I am very pleased with the EOS R. The R3's stay in my collection is in question at this point. Going to do a lot more side by side comparisons, but aside from MP, I don't see a clear, compelling reason for me to keep both at this point. Not to say some of the features differences wouldn't be compelling for others. Canon is just more familiar to me. The Sony is great too. And the R3 was a huge jump over the R2. It breathed life into using EF glass with the MC-11 and near native functionality. But the A7R just never fit that great in my hand. With a few of the new controls changes on the EOS R, I can now control most shooting options on the camera with my thumb and index finger without even looking away from the screen.

Very fun time to be a camera enthusiast as there are a lot of great options available!

Canon EOS M6 - EOS R - EF, EF-M and RF lenses
Donate for Forum Costs

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,281 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 14, 2018 11:49 |  #288

umphotography wrote in post #18750968 (external link)
Same and I finally set screw it and sold it Problem fixed with the sigma art 85mm. I tried everything ans was taking 3-4 shots to get one. Ticked me off

Mike, Sigma will have same issues. I had the non Art version and same thing. It is inherent problem with dSLR focussing systems. Mirrorless have it covered with eye AF, except, Canon R has no eye AF as far as I know. I have no issues shooting my GFX at 110mm f2 @f2 (f1.6 equivalent).

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,562 posts
Gallery: 327 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by randy98mtu.

Nov 14, 2018 11:54 |  #289

bobbyz wrote in post #18750978 (external link)
Mike, Sigma will have same issues. I had the non Art version and same thing. It is inherent problem with dSLR focussing systems. Mirrorless have it covered with eye AF, except, Canon R has no eye AF as far as I know. I have no issues shooting my GFX at 110mm f2 @f2 (f1.6 equivalent).

The R has eye AF, but it's not near the Eye AF on the Sony. If Eye AF is important to you, the Sony still has a leg up. If you are doing studio stuff though, the Eye AF on the Canon is probably pretty good. The Sony seems to magically find eye lashes when someone is not looking directly at you. The Canon seems to first recognize the face, and then starts looking for the eye. And in my experience with kids who I am not posing, it rarely finds the eye. When I ask them to stop moving and look at me, it does find the eye and lock on and it's accurate.

I've got less than a week with the R under my belt though. Still experimenting with the different focus selections and such.

Canon EOS M6 - EOS R - EF, EF-M and RF lenses
Donate for Forum Costs

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,281 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 14, 2018 15:13 |  #290

Thanks.

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,830 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by mdvaden. (2 edits in all)

Nov 14, 2018 22:29 |  #291

My EF 85mm 1.2 ii L was on Craigslist to cover part of my EOS R purchase, until I saw the first video review by Travis Harris on Youtube and heard what he experienced with that lens on the "R" ... Immediately I pulled the ad, and after trying the 85mm 1.2 with the EOS R in the redwoods with the woman posted previous and her friend, the 85mm 1.2 will probably stay in my bag indefinitely.

Are you familiar with how tricky the EF 50mm 1.0 L used to be for some people? Here's a quote from Ken Rockwell's EF > ER adapter page:

My 50mm f/1.0 seems to autofocus faster on my EOS-R than on any of my SLRs or DSLRs, and most importantly it always focuses perfectly, especially at f/1.0 where this lens sees as much as the human eye

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,043 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 15, 2018 11:05 |  #292

I hate to be the one who always doing this... but I really get tired of bad (and very expensive) advice is given here on hardware. Weather sealing is really important if your are going to be shooting a lot in highly humid environments for a long period of time - like the rain forest. It is relatively important in very very cold environments - like arctic conditions. But for conditions that 99% of the people who shoot here.... it is a nice to have, but not even close to a must have.

Just this last week I got back from a shoot in Colorado and New Mexico during the middle of a early cold snap that produced a huge storm... at times a near and total white out coming over the pass into Las Vegas New Mexico. At no point did I need to use a "weather sealed" camera. My weather sealing comes in two flavors - a Kata-bag rain gear hood and lens cover, and as back up, a hefty garbage bag. (Kata E-704 Lens Sleeve Kit E-704) And that is it. They protect lens, body, and my hands. All the gear cost less than $100.00, and works on all my cameras and even my larger lenses.

But that said, I filmed my sons football game last friday in a rain storm on Friday with a Sony a6300..... full game..... in the rain.... and both lens and camera are fine. A hand towel (or sleeve) to wipe off the front element was all I needed.

Even non weather sealed cameras with just a little care can survive and operate in 99.999 percent of conditions any person on this site would likely shoot in. Cameras are designed to be used in a lot of conditions. They are not delicate. Just some reasonable care and any camera can be used in just about any conditions - kids soccer games in the rain, going skiing, rain forest adventure in costa rica. This is just something most amateurs and semi-pros should put too much worry into. Don't spend money on things that will not have real impact on your images.

I'm not saying its not good to have.... but it should be really low on the priority list. Ergonomics, lenses, ISO and dynamic range.... way more important. Just based on my 40+ years of shooting.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,281 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 15, 2018 11:15 |  #293

Well said. I have shot a high school football game in the rain. Even though my 1dmk2 was weather sealed, I used 5 cent garbage bag on camera and my $5k lens. Problem solved.

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,162 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 15, 2018 13:14 |  #294

bobbyz wrote in post #18750678 (external link)
One of my coworker did this video using his mirrorless, Fuji GFX. I know much different price bracket but don't knock down ergonomics, weather sealing etc for all the mirrorless out there. Sony is good in tech, but that's it. Wish Fuji can make a camera with tech as good as Sony. The new XT3 is almost there. Let us see what GFX100s brings.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=Zb5kNP994hw (external link)

Interesting. Fuji hasn't been on my radar recently but I'll check it out the next time I stop into my local shop. Thanks!

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
8,525 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012
Post edited 3 months ago by mystik610.

Nov 15, 2018 14:25 |  #295

mdvaden wrote in post #18751392 (external link)
My EF 85mm 1.2 ii L was on Craigslist to cover part of my EOS R purchase, until I saw the first video review by Travis Harris on Youtube and heard what he experienced with that lens on the "R" ... Immediately I pulled the ad, and after trying the 85mm 1.2 with the EOS R in the redwoods with the woman posted previous and her friend, the 85mm 1.2 will probably stay in my bag indefinitely.

Are you familiar with how tricky the EF 50mm 1.0 L used to be for some people? Here's a quote from Ken Rockwell's EF > ER adapter page:

Hehe this is the #1 reason I shoot mirrorless. Critical focus accuracy is significantly better than DSLR, and lenses that are historically troublesome in terms of the AF, like the 85LII, actually perform better when adapted to a mirrorless body

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,996 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 15, 2018 16:53 |  #296

mystik610 wrote in post #18751792 (external link)
Hehe this is the #1 reason I shoot mirrorless. Critical focus accuracy is significantly better than DSLR, and lenses that are historically troublesome in terms of the AF, like the 85LII, actually perform better when adapted to a mirrorless body

I was going to dump my 85Lmk2 but for the hit in selling, I’ll just hang on to it.

I will eventually buy a Canon full frame mirrorless. It works on my A7iii too.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,830 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by mdvaden. (4 edits in all)

Nov 15, 2018 18:54 |  #297

Croasdail wrote in post #18751683 (external link)
I hate to be the one who always doing this... but I really get tired of bad (and very expensive) advice is given here on hardware. Weather sealing is really important if your are going to be shooting a lot in highly humid environments for a long period of time - like the rain forest. It is relatively important in very very cold environments - like arctic conditions. But for conditions that 99% of the people who shoot here.... it is a nice to have, but not even close to a must have.

Well if you "hate to be the one doing this" ... I sure "love to be the one" owning the Canon EOS R ... because I also own the Canon 5DS and other lenses. I've been shooting in the temperate rain forest, the redwoods, for over 10 years continually and know the drill better than most, having also helped in research plots. But other than December and January, there are many days in the coast redwood rainforest when it is not actually raining. In July, August and September, the forest is almost rain free.

If anybody wants to shoot in the redwood rain forest, I'm one of the best people to ask.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,469 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 15, 2018 21:37 |  #298

mdvaden wrote in post #18751970 (external link)
Well if you "hate to be the one doing this" ... I sure "love to be the one" owning the Canon EOS R ... because I also own the Canon 5DS and other lenses. I've been shooting in the temperate rain forest, the redwoods, for over 10 years continually and know the drill better than most, having also helped in research plots. But other than December and January, there are many days in the coast redwood rainforest when it is not actually raining. In July, August and September, the forest is almost rain free.

If anybody wants to shoot in the redwood rain forest, I'm one of the best people to ask.

no tougher than the beach, and you can go down here any day of the week to find sony/canon shooters. Way over emphasized feature. humidity is nothing, and easy to wipe off, saltwater on the other hand, has killed a few of my lenses, but no bodies.

Sony A7rii/A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

DTBaan
"male gigolo"
13,955 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 15, 2018 22:35 |  #299

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18747724 (external link)
Did you notice that there were two tiny little fairies near the bottom of that otherwise normally sized pine tree?

are you saying that these are the troublesome title fairies??

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,830 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by mdvaden.

Nov 16, 2018 00:43 |  #300

Charlie wrote in post #18752055 (external link)
no tougher than the beach, and you can go down here any day of the week to find sony/canon shooters. Way over emphasized feature. humidity is nothing, and easy to wipe off, saltwater on the other hand, has killed a few of my lenses, but no bodies.

That's for sure.

Others probably have good grip on beach shooting, and that's one type of location that makes me nervous because I'm not adept with my gear around sand and spray.

Actually, Redwood National and State Parks also has ocean sandy beaches, waves and sea stacks. Last year I did a wedding shoot at the beach, forest and lagoon, all in the same area. And the beach makes me the most nervous.

sponsored links

13,315 views & 158 likes for this thread
Canon EOS R has Crucified my thoughts about changing to Sony
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.