Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 16 Nov 2018 (Friday) 14:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gear storage - on display or hidden and protected?

kaitlyn2004
Goldmember
1,676 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 16, 2018 14:54 |  #1

I was looking into getting something like IKEA Kallax to store + display my camera gear, but the other side of me feels like I should leave the gear in camera bags protected from dust/moisture/potentia​l drops/etc. but it would also be nice to have my stuff there and more easily organized as oppose to wondering which bag a lens or accessory is in.

Which approach do you take?

P.S. I live in a condo, so it's not quite the same level of "security" concerns, or someone peering in and seeing stuff on display.

My Landscape Photography Videos (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
Chief_10Beers
Didn't get his vaccinations . . .
487 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 16, 2018 17:36 |  #2

I bought a 5ft X 2ft Gun Safe from Sam's Club, took out the Rifle Rack and installed felt lined shelves. Holds all my Photography Gear ( Except Tripod ) and Ammunition............​...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I am John Galt
TVC15
Gear List

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,890 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by Wilt. (4 edits in all)

Nov 16, 2018 18:41 |  #3

Open shelves bad because dust accumulates on all of the items on the shelf!
Visible shelves bad because if you ever have a party with a number of 'unknown friends of invited guests' in attendance, they can see everything you have and none of it is protected from light fingers...why make it too easy to temptation?!

Get something which closes and prevents view of the contents, yet is readily visible and accessible to YOU when you open the doors. Even a set of drawers, line 'em with felt on the bottom for less noise and wear on your gear.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

ericbowles
21 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2017

Nov 17, 2018 05:48 |  #4

I would not necessarily leave gear out in the open. There is always potential for something to be accidentally knocked. In the event of a breakin, theft is more likely. A drawer or a closet is a better idea.

I would not worry too much about dust unless you are in an extremely dusty area. I keep a dust cover over my printer, but not my camera gear.

The big issue with storing gear in enclosed spaces is the risk of fungus. You normally want air circulation. Fungus will destroy the value of a lens, and can impact image quality. If you have low humidity that is not a big issue, but for many areas the risk of mildew or fungus is important. KEH considers a lens with any sign of fungus to be "Ugly" - and discounts the price they pay by 50-100%.

If your gear is hard to see and access, you won't use it. Put it on shelves in a closet where you can see and use it.

Eric Bowles
Director - Nikonians Academy
Workshops and Private Instruction
www.bowlesimages.com (external link)

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,356 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 17, 2018 09:45 |  #5

I keep the camera, lenses, strobes, and most accessories in a letter-sized file cabinet with Pelican 1515 padded dividers. They're nicely protected and the cabinet can be locked.

Harry ­ Ogloff
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Nov 2018

Nov 20, 2018 13:32 as a reply to  @ mike_d's post |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

What and to whom would you be displaying? I have my gear on shelves in a closet of a spare room. I also have my hand tools in a cabinet in the garage. I don't understand your view of wanting to display your gear. Rather display photos made with your gear.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by cdifoto.

Nov 20, 2018 14:38 |  #7

I'd display classic cameras but eos gear isn't really interesting or pretty. It stays in bags, ready to throw in the car.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

sponsored links

707 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gear storage - on display or hidden and protected?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.