Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 16 Sep 2018 (Sunday) 11:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EOS R has Crucified my thoughts about changing to Sony

this thread is locked
mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,831 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 16, 2018 23:24 |  #301

A few days ago, I purchased a Zenport electric hand pruner for my arborist pruning work. For stuff like orchards or Wisteria vines when hand cuts are ten times normal. We did a test shoot in the office studio here this afternoon, and used it for a prop. The man is Matayo, a server at the local Texas Roadhouse

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

sponsored links
Pippan
Goldmember
1,386 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Nov 17, 2018 05:21 |  #302

mdvaden wrote in post #18752709 (external link)
A few days ago, I purchased a Zenport electric hand pruner for my arborist pruning work. For stuff like orchards or Wisteria vines when hand cuts are ten times normal. We did a test shoot in the office studio here this afternoon, and used it for a prop. The man is Matayo, a server at the local Texas Roadhouse

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by mdvaden in
./showthread.php?p=187​52709&i=i142534715
forum: Changing Camera Brands

Great photo. I used to be a horticulturist and arborist a long time ago. I never wanted to use those automatic secateurs as I could just see my fingers being lopped at some point. As it was I lost the ends of two of them in a mulching machine, one of which being my right index finger. I can use the shutter button OK but the hitting the right one of the other top buttons on a Canon DSLR is sometimes a challenge. Be careful.

— Please feel free to offer your thoughts on how I might improve my images —

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,151 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 17, 2018 20:02 |  #303

Was really looking at getting one of these in January. I was going to get a A7iii and an adapter since I have 5-6 canon lenses.
Lucky for me another friend picked up his Eos R and I got to shoot it.

WAS NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL. That whole flashing to the last shot in the evf drove me nuts. You dont see what you are about to shoot, you see what you just shot. Annoying as heck.
That slow as hell shooting speed when in servo af was also annoying. I think my ancient t3i shot faster.
Didnt like that bar, however that may just be a thing to get used to. But no joystick and no wheel made it really weird , like shooting the old t3i again.

But man did I like the feel of the grip in the hand and I liked the results over my trusty 5diii but it looks like I will be going with the a7iii.

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,562 posts
Gallery: 327 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 17, 2018 20:06 |  #304

Scoobert wrote in post #18753181 (external link)
Was really looking at getting one of these in January. I was going to get a A7iii and an adapter since I have 5-6 canon lenses.

WAS NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL. That whole flashing to the last shot in the evf drove me nuts. You dont see what you are about to shoot, you see what you just shot. Annoying as heck.
That slow as hell shooting speed when in servo af was also annoying. I think my ancient t3i shot faster.
Didnt like that bar, however that may just be a thing to get used to. But no joystick and no wheel made it really weird , like shooting the old t3i again.

But man did I like the feel of the grip in the hand and I liked the results over my trusty 5diii but it looks like I will be going with the a7iii.

That was just image review. Turn it off and it doesn't flash the last shot.

The controls are a bit of a learning curve, but the way the 2 dials and the Multi Function button work, along with the drag on the LCD to move the focus point make me forget about the joystick in a heartbeat.

Canon EOS M6 - EOS R - EF, EF-M and RF lenses
Donate for Forum Costs

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,151 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 17, 2018 20:09 |  #305

randy98mtu wrote in post #18753186 (external link)
That was just image review. Turn it off and it doesn't flash the last shot.

The controls are a bit of a learning curve, but the way the 2 dials and the Multi Function button work, along with the drag on the LCD to move the focus point make me forget about the joystick in a heartbeat.

Isnt that the only way to get rid of the black screen between shots though?

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,562 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 17, 2018 20:14 |  #306

Scoobert wrote in post #18753188 (external link)
Isnt that the only way to get rid of the black screen between shots though?

I just tested it - EVF never blinked taking shots. I guess it's the same no blackout as Sony?

Donate for Forum Costs

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,151 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 17, 2018 20:15 |  #307

randy98mtu wrote in post #18753190 (external link)
I just tested it - EVF never blinked taking shots. I guess it's the same no blackout as Sony?

ty

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,831 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by mdvaden. (3 edits in all)

Nov 17, 2018 21:03 |  #308

Scoobert wrote in post #18753181 (external link)

Lucky? Sounds more like bad luck of not reading the manual first. But that's understandable. I just watched and read some so-called reviewers on Youtube claim similar this week, then one or two people who actually understood the EOS gear corrected their gaps about camera's features.

Just for the heck of it, I just rattled-off about 30 shots in 30 seconds panning around the room, my hand and the TV with a fresh view the entire time. Could see my hand move, room moving across and scene changing on the TV.

The controls don't take long to learn, but some is different. Youtuber Jared Polin seemed to hate the lack of joystick, then weeks later said he hoped the joystick didn't return after mastering the camera a bit more.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,151 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 17, 2018 21:14 |  #309

mdvaden wrote in post #18753212 (external link)
Lucky? Sounds more like bad luck of not reading the manual first. But that's understandable. I just watched and read some so-called reviewers on Youtube claim similar this week, then one or two people who actually understood the EOS gear corrected their gaps about camera's features.

Just for the heck of it, I just rattled-off about 30 shots in 30 seconds panning around the room, my hand and the TV with a fresh view the entire time. Could see my hand move, room moving across and scene changing on the TV.

The controls don't take long to learn, but some is different. Youtuber Jared Polin seemed to hate the lack of joystick, then weeks later said he hoped the joystick didn't return after mastering the camera a bit more.

No it was lucky. You can have that slow shooting thing, I am glad you like it and are so biased in your views of it. Even though I have shot canon since I got a new AE-1 the sony that I have never shot before was easier to control and just better in about every way over the canon r. Maybe the second one will be better but this one just wasnt ready to even come close to competing with the sony, or really even the fuji.

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,562 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 17, 2018 21:22 |  #310

Scoobert wrote in post #18753222 (external link)
No it was lucky. You can have that slow shooting thing, I am glad you like it and are so biased in your views of it. Even though I have shot canon since I got a new AE-1 the sony that I have never shot before was easier to control and just better in about every way over the canon r. Maybe the second one will be better but this one just wasnt ready to even come close to competing with the sony, or really even the fuji.

Having both an EOS R and an A7R iii side by side, I disagree. They are far closer than people give Canon credit for. I'm not a fanboy. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. They are close enough that in my opinion, it comes down to pros and cons and deciding which fits your needs better.

Donate for Forum Costs

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,831 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by mdvaden. (4 edits in all)

Nov 17, 2018 21:26 |  #311

Scoobert wrote in post #18753222 (external link)

For frame rate it can be slower, but the EOS R appears to be faster for locking focus especially in low light. For focus points and moving focus the EOS seem equal or better. So it really boils down to what people want or need. I don't really shoot action, so with my collection of glass the EOS is a huge leap beyond the 5D mk iii I had previous.

It's not so much my bias, as it is your ignorance. If fact, we're within a few replies of you documenting failure to understand the most basic of features. At my end, I just share photos as I succeed in learning the controls. It may simply be the contrast between failure and success. Similarly, you didn't succeed with the bar, while other photographers have shared implementation of the feature. Again, failure vs. success.

At the moment, it's evident your overall perception is best considered as limbo, because your previous post proved you barely put a dent in the basics of the EOS R. But if the Sony is easy for you to understand and works well, it's hard to go wrong there. Especially if you already have some Sony glass. Sony makes several good cameras. So there's more than one path to succeed with Sony.

One more from recent ..

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,151 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 17, 2018 22:03 |  #312

mdvaden wrote in post #18753230 (external link)
For frame rate it can be slower, but the EOS R appears to be faster for locking focus especially in low light. For focus points and moving focus the EOS seem equal or better. So it really boils down to what people want or need. I don't really shoot action, so with my collection of glass the EOS is a huge leap beyond the 5D mk iii I had previous.

It's not so much my bias, as it is your ignorance. If fact, we're within a few replies of you documenting failure to understand the most basic of features. At my end, I just share photos as I succeed in learning the controls. It may simply be the contrast between failure and success. Similarly, you didn't succeed with the bar, while other photographers have shared implementation of the feature. Again, failure vs. success.

At the moment, it's evident your overall perception is best considered as limbo, because your previous post proved you barely put a dent in the basics of the EOS R. But if the Sony is easy for you to understand and works well, it's hard to go wrong there. Especially if you already have some Sony glass. Sony makes several good cameras. So there's more than one path to succeed with Sony.

One more from recent ..
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by mdvaden in
./showthread.php?p=187​53230&i=i188738419
forum: Changing Camera Brands

Can be slower, now your showing your bias AND your ignorance.
When you can only shoot 3 fps what difference does lock speed matter? Could you imagine if it took longer to lock maybe you could "rifle" through 30 shots in 30 seconds :rolleyes:

Because of the glass I was really hoping not to have to move to sony, but if this POS is canons best shot at competing they need to fire their engineers. Then again they were probably the same ones that put together the 6d2 and thought it was a good combination.

Limbo would be about the perfect term for me right now. Maybe a used 5d4 for my glass, maybe the a7iii and switch over to sony that eye auto focus is awesome and light years ahead of anything canon has.
But with it comes buying new lenses (eventually) and flash gear right now. With canons glacial rate at updating gear it may be 2 years before they come out with a better version of a mirrorless. They have a habit of waiting 5 years to come out with 4 year old tech.

First world problems I guess

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,831 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by mdvaden.

Nov 17, 2018 22:17 |  #313

Scoobert wrote in post #18753250 (external link)
Can be slower, now your showing your bias AND your ignorance.
When you can only shoot 3 fps what difference does lock speed matter? Could you imagine if it took longer to lock maybe you could "rifle" through 30 shots in 30 seconds :rolleyes:

Because of the glass I was really hoping not to have to move to sony, but if this POS is canons best shot at competing they need to fire their engineers. Then again they were probably the same ones that put together the 6d2 and thought it was a good combination.

Limbo would be about the perfect term for me right now. Maybe a used 5d4 for my glass, maybe the a7iii and switch over to sony that eye auto focus is awesome and light years ahead of anything canon has.
But with it comes buying new lenses (eventually) and flash gear right now. With canons glacial rate at updating gear it may be 2 years before they come out with a better version of a mirrorless. They have a habit of waiting 5 years to come out with 4 year old tech.

First world problems I guess

Come back in week, or month if you get your hands on the camera again and I may entertain that question. The EOS R is presently in specs, and performance, one of the world's fastest autofocusing cameras. Not by frame rate, but lens and body performance per shot. And it can exceeding the lowest number you could cherry-pick (for who knows why). In a darker room, if a Sony and EOS R are pulled out on a subject by two photographers, the Sony does not own the advantage. Likewise in some better light.
I've shot with my friends A7R iii, and I know for a fact it does not own the advantage in that arena. It does have a faster frame rate, but for me, it's less than a hill of beans. I shoot slowly, precisely and deliberately.

As for Sony, it's finally nice to see they got their gear in order. Because Sony is an "egonomical turd"

Sony reminds me of toilet paper. Most rolls are about 4 inches wide with about 500 to 1000 sheets per roll. Going back a few years, Sony was like new models of toilet paper with:

- 2 in. wide
- 5000 sheets per roll
- 10 times the strength
- 50 times the thickness
- easier separating

Like a roll with some higher specs that did not overcome the weakest specs.

Today, Sony finally got up to speed and mostly dug itself out of a hole. Most good photographers don't need extreme frame rates, 4K video, IBIS, etc.. So Sony definitely needed to make the transformation it did.

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,151 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 18, 2018 08:58 |  #314

mdvaden wrote in post #18753270 (external link)
Come back in week, or month if you get your hands on the camera again and I may entertain that question.

Why would I try t again?
Is a firmware upgrade going to speed up their t3i mirrorless camera? Leave it to canon to come out with a brand new body YEARS behind everything already out. Just like they did with the 6d2

mdvaden wrote in post #18753270 (external link)
Today, Sony finally got up to speed and mostly dug itself out of a hole. Most good photographers don't need extreme frame rates, 4K video, IBIS, etc.. So Sony definitely needed to make the transformation it did.

OMG, just stop
Now you are just sounding like an ignorant fanboi. People like yourself have been using them same tired lines for years. Settling for the crap canon hasnt improved on and calling anything other companies are leading in as unneeded by "Good" photographers. Yet IF canon had come out with that same unneeded stuff it would be "game changing"

Used to be it was all that wasted DR them nikons had. "Good photogs can expose right"

You know "good photogs" don't need a slide bar at the top. The old wheel works just fine if you are "good"
You know "good photogs" don't need a lens with and AE adjustment on it. The one on the camera works very well if you are "good"
You know "good photogs" don't need a flippy touch screen on the back. "Good" photogs can use the flat one.
You know "good photogs" don't need......
You know "good photogs" don't need digital pictures, adjustable ISO. "Good photogs" just use film.
You know "good photogs" don't need auto focus thats just is a crutch. "Good photogs" adjust the focus by hand, manually
You know "good photogs" don't need film, are you kidding me.... film. "Good photogs" just use a plate and some flash powder.

So spare us the condescending attitude that if canon hasnt put it in its years behind the times camera its not needed by "good" photographers. That if you dont need it to shoot a tree "rattling off" 30 frames in 30 seconds that its not needed by a "good" photographer.

Dont be "That" guy.

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,831 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by mdvaden. (4 edits in all)

Nov 18, 2018 09:47 |  #315

Scoobert wrote in post #18753495 (external link)
... SNIP ...

So spare us the condescending attitude that if canon hasnt put it in its years behind the times camera its not needed by "good" photographers. That if you dont need it to shoot a tree "rattling off" 30 frames in 30 seconds that its not needed by a "good" photographer.

Dont be "That" guy.

"spare us" he says ...

If you want sparing, don't read the thread. If it bothers to hear that Sony was an ergonomical turd to other photographers, no need to read the text. Whether someone is a fanboy doesn't change Sony's faults, size or specs on paper either. The bodies were dwarfs in hand and dwarf on paper. Defined by cm and mm.

As for the EOS R, it is has very good ergonomics, great image quality and added practicality like how it shuts out dust while changing lenses.

sponsored links

13,346 views & 158 likes for this thread
Canon EOS R has Crucified my thoughts about changing to Sony
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.