Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

DigitalTuned
All these thoughts give me nightmares
4,531 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 16, 2018 13:25 as a reply to  @ post 18752305 |  #781

I am trying.. Damn schedule :cry:

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
facebook - (external link) - 500px (external link)

sponsored links
C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,369 posts
Gallery: 433 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 16, 2018 19:34 |  #782

Windy day at the lake.

EOS R, RF24-105, 10-stop and CPL.

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Public/2018-Landscape/i-zMG9DHx/0/96e3120f/X3/20181103-0058-X3.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.cscott4.co​m …018-Landscape/i-zMG9DHx/A  (external link)

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships." Ansel Adams

cueball
505 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 16, 2018 20:21 |  #783

Had a snow day yesterday so my daughter and I went out for pics.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon: 5D Mark IV, EOS R, 35 f1.4L II, 85 f1.4L IS, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-70 f2.8L II, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS II, 100 f2.8L IS Macro, 2X III, 1.4X III, 580EX II, 430EX
Feedback: https://photography-on-the.net …=12723614&postc​ount=27889, https://photography-on-the.net …=13303433&postc​ount=30051

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,831 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by mdvaden. (2 edits in all)

Nov 16, 2018 21:33 |  #784

cueball wrote in post #18752650 (external link)
Had a snow day yesterday so my daughter and I went out for pics.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by cueball in
./showthread.php?p=187​52650&i=i79797234
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by cueball in
./showthread.php?p=187​52650&i=i253479744
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Lovely photos. Her smile really lights it up.

Matayo, from the local Texas Roadhouse ...

Using the 85mm 1.2 ii

HOSTED PHOTO

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,831 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 17, 2018 00:47 |  #785

umphotography wrote in post #18752305 (external link)
Would love to see some more formal portraits in great light from this sensor

The 1Dx2 files are just so much nicer than the 5D4 files for portrait needs. Skin tones and colors are really the best I have used and I prefer those files over the 5D4 files.

So I am really interested in seeing what this sensor brings to the table for skin tones and true colors for people. I love what i see so far with the wildlife and insects

More people pretty please

Here's two samples. One is moderately edited. The other is a 100% crop original with no changes.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

tigerotor77w
Goldmember
1,563 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 17, 2018 02:08 |  #786

My 6D may have succumbed to rain, so while I was going to hold on to it for a while longer the EOS R is again in scope (I'll either get another 6D to tide me over until I see what else comes in the R pipeline, or I'll just get the R directly).

There are three issues I'm not sure I have final answers to...

1) what is the consensus on being able to push shadows with the EOS R? is it any better (without banding) than the 6D? (I don't regularly push, mind you, usually only relying on up to a +1 EV push if the skies are really bright or with shadows at up to around +75. But I'd like to be able to use a future body with more aggressive pushes if needed.)

2) Is it expected that older versions of LR get EOS R support? I'm not sure how ACR does new body updates for e.g. LR4, 5, or 6.

Weather sealing is the third topic that I'd hope is better than the 6D, but I suppose this is a tough question to answer quantitatively. If it's only "roughly as good" as the 6D, I might just get a 6D as for 99% of my shooting it's perfectly adequate. A 5D Mark IV is also a definitely possibility -- as I hike with the body, I'd like to keep weight and bulk down as best I can.

For this reason, frankly the 6D has been terrific. I'd just like another stop or so more DR and better weather sealing.

Photo blog (external link) | Gear

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,044 posts
Gallery: 188 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 17, 2018 06:52 |  #787

some lovely shots, sadly for me the price over here for body only is around $3300 without the adaptor :-(

5D3 7D2 Fuji X100 Fuji X10 canon glass and the odd shot with other brands
https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link)

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,574 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 17, 2018 07:12 |  #788

tigerotor77w wrote in post #18752758 (external link)
1) what is the consensus on being able to push shadows with the EOS R? is it any better (without banding) than the 6D? (I don't regularly push, mind you, usually only relying on up to a +1 EV push if the skies are really bright or with shadows at up to around +75. But I'd like to be able to use a future body with more aggressive pushes if needed.)

From samples available, it seems that just about all Rs have shadow noise character with more banding than the original 6D at ISO 100, but the amount of noise is a little lower. Keep in mind that any measurements of "DR" or PDR that you will see do not tell you how much headroom there is relative to proper metering for that ISO, and newer Canons have more headroom, so not all of the DR in newer cameras goes towards "footroom", AKA "input-referenced read noise".

At high ISOs, noise of the R, 6D, and 5D4 seem to measure about the same, but obviously, 30MP has more room for NR than 20MP while maintaining resolution.

The R seems to be much like the the 5D4, except that it has about 1/4 stop more read noise at ISO 100, which is due to higher post-gain read noise which exists at higher ISOs, but is more diluted. So, this noise disappears as you go up the analog part of the ISO scale, but after you pass ISO 25.6K and push the highest ISOs up towards ISO 1 million or so, the R may show that banding again as it is pushed from a lower gain. That's what happens with the Nikon D5 - you see the banding at ISO 100, it gets weaker up the ISO scale up to the maximum analog-gain ISO of 102K (which is excellent for ISO 102K by current standards), but by the time you get near ISO 1 million, the banding starts to show again because of all the pushing of the banded post-gain read noise.

Red ­ Dexs
Goldmember
2,712 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jun 2014
Post edited 3 months ago by Red Dexs.

Nov 17, 2018 08:12 |  #789

aladyforty wrote in post #18752824 (external link)
some lovely shots, sadly for me the price over here for body only is around $3300 without the adaptor :-(

Going on today's UK + Aus rate that isn't a bad price.

I like what I like.
Gear-Canon 1DX2, Canon Eos 7D2, Canon EF 300mm f2.8L IS II USM, EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS II USM, EF100mm f/2.8L IS USM, EF 16-35mm f4L IS USM, Canon EF 70-200 f/4 IS USM. Canon extenders 1.4x & 2x MKIII.

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,831 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by mdvaden. (5 edits in all)

Nov 17, 2018 09:57 |  #790

John Sheehy wrote in post #18752831 (external link)
From samples available, it seems that just about all Rs have shadow noise character with more banding than the original 6D at ISO 100, but the amount of noise is a little lower.

On a photo above ... the one with the hat ... there is no banding in the original. I just reviewed the original full size, scrolling every part, and can't spot anything noticeable in the shadows. I've seen banding where a couple reviewers pushed conditions to cause it. So far, I'm not noticing it, and would have to work to find some from my images. I can't say every photo I've taken has none, but it would take effort to dig and find it.

This is from the original of my previous post, with the Lightroom exposure slider cranked to the extreme right, cropped 100%. There is some noise, but nothing I would call banding. The right shadow is from a light fixture on the ceiling. Likewise with the forest shot I shared the other day in this thread of the woman kneeling between redwoods is no banding.

HOSTED PHOTO

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,398 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed. (4 edits in all)

Nov 17, 2018 10:06 |  #791

mdvaden wrote in post #18752897 (external link)
Going from your post above, it seems your monitor may be out of adjustment.

On a photo "above" ... the one with the hat ... there is no banding in the original. I just reviewed the original full size, medium and small, scrolling every part, and can't spot anything noticeable in the shadows. 10 x zero still equals zero.

But I've seen banding where a couple reviewers pushed conditions to cause it.

I am quite sure John isn't using the images processed and resized down to a wallet print samples here on the forum, I am quite sure he has looked at the raw files that are widely available.

The only banding I see in your images is due to heavy JPEG compression.

And to Mike, seeing images posted here says NOTHING about color from the sensor. All you get here are JPEGs processed by different people with different skills using different techniques with different software. It would be like comparing multiple sports cars performance against each other after they all have been subjected to speed shops, backyard mechanics, etc and run on different track and road courses, then drawing conclusions about the manufacturers quality and performance metrics.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,831 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 17, 2018 10:35 |  #792

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18752903 (external link)
I am quite sure John isn't using the images processed and resized down to a wallet print samples here on the forum, I am quite sure he has looked at the raw files that are widely available.

LOL ... think I'm still waking up !! Seems I misread his reply "available" as "above" !! Time for another cup of coffee.

Probably was worth sharing though, seeing it's the first time I tried the camera indoors.

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
15,755 posts
Gallery: 2434 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 17, 2018 10:42 |  #793

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18752903 (external link)

And to Mike, seeing images posted here says NOTHING about color from the sensor. All you get here are JPEGs processed by different people with different skills using different techniques with different software. It would be like comparing multiple sports cars performance against each other after they all have been subjected to speed shops, backyard mechanics, etc and run on different track and road courses, then drawing conclusions about the manufacturers quality and performance metrics.

For the first time I think we see things from the same perspective. It is impossible to draw conclusions on others work. I've said this many times in the past and I include so called pro's on youtube and the internet.. It is impossible to judge from images posted to internet and forum.. mostly because people ten to embellish on their believes and thoughts. All we can do is convey our own thoughts. but there's no changing others minds thats for sure.

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

Trout ­ Bum
446 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 17, 2018 12:09 |  #794

tigerotor77w wrote in post #18752758 (external link)
Is it expected that older versions of LR get EOS R support? I'm not sure how ACR does new body updates for e.g. LR4, 5, or 6.

I have LR6, the last legacy- Adobe isn't doing anymore updates to those versions. They want you to go CC. I just import them as .dng's.
Not sure I understand all the dislike for that option. If Canon's software is so superior for image processing, I guess my standards are just too low.
I need the file management that LR provides as well.

Mark
My photography website (external link)
My fine art website (external link)
My youtube channel (external link)
Instagram: @MarkMilleArt

tigerotor77w
Goldmember
1,563 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 17, 2018 13:55 |  #795

John Sheehy wrote in post #18752831 (external link)
From samples available, it seems that just about all Rs have shadow noise character with more banding than the original 6D at ISO 100, but the amount of noise is a little lower. Keep in mind that any measurements of "DR" or PDR that you will see do not tell you how much headroom there is relative to proper metering for that ISO, and newer Canons have more headroom, so not all of the DR in newer cameras goes towards "footroom", AKA "input-referenced read noise".

Heh, I didn't realize how much the second question (LR6 compatibility with .CR3 files) would influence the first, as I have no way to play around with EOS R files at the moment.

I'm not sure I fully grasp the in-practice aspect of your response, so a few lines of background before a follow-up question. (Don't get me wrong -- I do appreciate your reply!)

---

Background:

With the 6D, I generally expose toward the right, taking care to not to blow out any highlights but generally trying to leave the shadows as far away from black as possible. This is crucial for sunrise (or sunset) in snowy environments, where sunlight on the snow could leave bright spots brighter than the sky.

Therefore, it'd be nice to give myself even more space on the right side of a histogram by exposing further to the left, but again, we're talking an intentional underexposure by max. -1 EV, so a +2 EV push might be necessary in post (rather than the +1 EV I do now with the 6D). These are maximums -- generally if I need to push the overall exposure, I'm content with a +0.2 EV or +0.5 EV push.

---

The follow-up question would therefore be -- should I expect any shadow banding with the EOS R in situations where the blacks are around 2 EV darker than what a "properly" metered scene would have? (The 6D does not have banding with this sort of push, but the shadows also don't necessarily look great in areas of high detail, either.)

To the point about LR6 no longer supporting future Canon products -- d'oh, I had missed that. Now is a good time to evaluate whether I in fact upgrade to CC or out of the Adobe ecosystem entirely... (or if that leads me to stick with, for instance, another 6D -- or even 5D Mark IV at this point, if the EOS R really isn't going to allow me to stick with software I am comfortable with and don't need to have a fixed expense each month to use).

Photo blog (external link) | Gear

sponsored links

207,615 views & 6,242 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.