Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 26 Oct 2018 (Friday) 11:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New laptop: Macbook or Win10?

ct1co2
Goldmember
2,384 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 26, 2018 11:08 |  #1

I am looking to replace/upgrade my 9yr old Win7 HP laptop and having a hard time deciding which direction to go. Admittedly I am not a computer person, not and early adopter, and prefer to work in a plug and play environment. if I have to spend hours or continuously configuring, cleaning up, or tinkering with setup, it’s the wrong machine for me. I do some work in MS Office Pro apps, but I’ve gotten to the point of using my laptop for more than 90% photo editing in LR5.7, I don’t do video, and I don’t do games.

I’ve been looking at MacBook Air and Pros, and comparing to Dell machines I can get a potential corporate discount on. I had a bad experience with Win8 on a desktop that we had a friend upgrade to Win7 and it’s been smooth.

Is 8gb of ram going to be sufficient or should I be looking at 16gb? Do OS upgrades on Apple machines help/hurt? How critical is processor type/speed going to be. I’m seeing Win10 recent complaints for CC users, is this overblown? What’s an effective setup that will be relevant for more than 5yrs.

Not looking for Apple vs Win kool aid drinking debates, but seeking input if I’m on the right path, missing key factors, considerations I should have, and direct experiences from both sides of the aisle. I am working with 1K in Best Buy gift cards, and can add another 1K on top of that.

7D2 | 6D2 | 10-22 | 15-85is | Rokinon 14 2.8 | 16-35isL | 24-70isL | 35is | 85 1.8 | 100-400 II L | Σ150-600 C | 430ex |

sponsored links
Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,863 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Oct 26, 2018 15:44 |  #2

Windows 10 is far different from Win8 so the issues that people had with Win8, most people don't have with Win10. Just don't expect it be the same as Win7. Just remember its like getting a new camera, you have to learn how to use it.

Have you used a Mac and the OS. the OS is going to be the key factor here. If you know how to use the OS and can put up with it then that's ok. Macs are over priced for what you get.

more RAM the better, if you can get 16gb go for it. If you can afford to get 32gb then get that too. No such thing is enough RAM. However there is a thing as not having enough.

The key thing is buy the best for your budget and either Win10 or Mac will do what you need to do.

One thing I would make sure is that you get one with a SSD or M2 HDD.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,532 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 26, 2018 19:20 |  #3

Mark0159 wrote in post #18737149 (external link)
Windows 10 is far different from Win8 so the issues that people had with Win8, most people don't have with Win10. Just don't expect it be the same as Win7. Just remember its like getting a new camera, you have to learn how to use it.

Have you used a Mac and the OS. the OS is going to be the key factor here. If you know how to use the OS and can put up with it then that's ok. Macs are over priced for what you get.

more RAM the better, if you can get 16gb go for it. If you can afford to get 32gb then get that too. No such thing is enough RAM. However there is a thing as not having enough.

The key thing is buy the best for your budget and either Win10 or Mac will do what you need to do.

One thing I would make sure is that you get one with a SSD or M2 HDD.

IMO 16 GB to 32 GB is the "sweet spot" especially if you have an SSD. Personally, I would put my money on a larger SSD than into memory.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,419 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012
Post edited 3 months ago by EverydayGetaway.

Oct 27, 2018 12:28 |  #4

ct1co2 wrote in post #18736977 (external link)
I am looking to replace/upgrade my 9yr old Win7 HP laptop and having a hard time deciding which direction to go. Admittedly I am not a computer person, not and early adopter, and prefer to work in a plug and play environment. if I have to spend hours or continuously configuring, cleaning up, or tinkering with setup, it’s the wrong machine for me. I do some work in MS Office Pro apps, but I’ve gotten to the point of using my laptop for more than 90% photo editing in LR5.7, I don’t do video, and I don’t do games.

I’ve been looking at MacBook Air and Pros, and comparing to Dell machines I can get a potential corporate discount on. I had a bad experience with Win8 on a desktop that we had a friend upgrade to Win7 and it’s been smooth.

Is 8gb of ram going to be sufficient or should I be looking at 16gb? Do OS upgrades on Apple machines help/hurt? How critical is processor type/speed going to be. I’m seeing Win10 recent complaints for CC users, is this overblown? What’s an effective setup that will be relevant for more than 5yrs.

Not looking for Apple vs Win kool aid drinking debates, but seeking input if I’m on the right path, missing key factors, considerations I should have, and direct experiences from both sides of the aisle. I am working with 1K in Best Buy gift cards, and can add another 1K on top of that.

How big of a screen size are you looking for?

I would say 8gb of ram is plenty for most tasks, but 16gb is better for longevity. You really shouldn't need more than that unless you get into editing video or you have a habit of leaving a bunch of apps/tabs open at one time.

I would aim for one of the newer 8th gen machines with a quad core CPU, more apps are going to start utilizing more cores in the future now that quad core is the minimum standard for desktop machines. I don't know if Apples stuff is using those or not, but I would assume so.

I just got the Microsoft Surface Book 2 i7/8gb/GTX1050 13.5" model and I highly recommend it, but there's a lot of great choices out there right now (it took me a long time to decide).

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

ct1co2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,384 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 28, 2018 07:31 |  #5

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #18737792 (external link)
How big of a screen size are you looking for?

I would say 8gb of ram is plenty for most tasks, but 16gb is better for longevity. You really shouldn't need more than that unless you get into editing video or you have a habit of leaving a bunch of apps/tabs open at one time.

I would aim for one of the newer 8th gen machines with a quad core CPU, more apps are going to start utilizing more cores in the future now that quad core is the minimum standard for desktop machines. I don't know if Apples stuff is using those or not, but I would assume so.

I just got the Microsoft Surface Book 2 i7/8gb/GTX1050 13.5" model and I highly recommend it, but there's a lot of great choices out there right now (it took me a long time to decide).

I currently have a 15”, however gravitating more towards a smaller size 13” for the next one. Interesting you mention the Surface Book 2. I pinged the same query off a friend that runs the IT for the company he works for, and he echoed the same sentiment on the Surface Book. It like that it is also Bluetooth enabled like a Mac. He also reinforced that a SSD and latest generation processor are key elements.

Seems I can spec out a more robust machine at a lower cost if I stay with a WIN platform. Perhaps a little future proofing at the same time.

7D2 | 6D2 | 10-22 | 15-85is | Rokinon 14 2.8 | 16-35isL | 24-70isL | 35is | 85 1.8 | 100-400 II L | Σ150-600 C | 430ex |

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,419 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 28, 2018 09:17 |  #6

ct1co2 wrote in post #18738223 (external link)
I currently have a 15”, however gravitating more towards a smaller size 13” for the next one. Interesting you mention the Surface Book 2. I pinged the same query off a friend that runs the IT for the company he works for, and he echoed the same sentiment on the Surface Book. It like that it is also Bluetooth enabled like a Mac. He also reinforced that a SSD and latest generation processor are key elements.

Seems I can spec out a more robust machine at a lower cost if I stay with a WIN platform. Perhaps a little future proofing at the same time.

One big advantage with Windows and devices like the surface products is that you get a very useful touchscreen and pen support. If you tend to use brush or selective editing tools a lot it's extremely useful, much easier than using a mouse or track pad in my experience.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

ShotByTom
Goldmember
2,989 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 28, 2018 22:25 |  #7

I have a 2017 MacBook Pro, i5, 8 GB of RAM and only 128MB Flash drive and I am able to run everything I have. Photoshop and Lightroom are fine, but when I use Adobe Muse, it gets pretty slow. It's not my main computer, so I'm ok with it, but if it were my main, I would want more power and at least 16gb of RAM if you are a heavy Lightroom or Photoshop user.

Gear
Website (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,532 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 29, 2018 04:40 |  #8

Costco has just released some of their "black friday" specials. See https://hothardware.co​m …tco-black-friday-ad-leaks (external link) for the deals on computers.

Keltab
902 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 29, 2018 23:53 |  #9

I too and researching, prpar8ng to upgrade. I have both a Win10 and a MacBookPro 2013 model. I was in the computer industry for quite a few years, then I went into education. I have seen the good and bad of both machine families. That being said, I am gravitating towards Mac for this new system. I have had fewer issues with my 2013 Mac than the Win systems I have been using. Nothing horrible on the Win side, just much less time invested upgrading and dealing with security stuff on the Mac side. It’s a very stable platform, and works ell for me.
Right now is a great time to look... Apple is hosting a Launch event on Oct 30th, and may be revealing new MacBooks and new iMacs. If so, the current crop will drop in price. Even if they don’t release a new MacBook. The 2017 MacBooks (both 13” and 15”) are running on pretty good specials at B&H and other places.

As for specs, the more cores the better for most photo editing. Get the latest generation you can, in the system you choose and within the budget you are considering. I would recommend 16GB as the sweet spot right now, with room for software to ask for more and not be tapped out. As for storage, there is never really too much. However, I recommend a 512GB sad, with external storage for backup and overflow.

Take a look around at options and post what you like. I’m sure we will all be happy to add to your decision ;-)a

Either platform could do you well. I hope you enjoy whichever one you choose!

The Only Difference Between Ordinary and Extraordinary Is That Little Extra :D

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,301 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 30, 2018 01:28 |  #10

If you want to tightly integrate into the Apple ecosystem ... iTunes, iPhone, Apple Watch, etc, etc ... consider a Mac. If not, you'll get more bang for your buck with a PC.

Red ­ Dog
854 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 14, 2018 07:00 |  #11

Been using windows laptops for my workflow outside in the field for the last 10 years. I shoot tethered for sports media and the biggest issues are software to draw in the images via EOS Utility and battery life. I still use an old version of Zoombrowser as it simply works and does what I need. Images come through seemlessly direct from the camera and appear on the screen as they're shot. Using photoshop to edit and Photomechanic to caption and send completes my workflow.
I've recently upgraded my laptop from an ASUS ux303 which was pretty decent for what I need. 12gb ram with 250gb ssd. However the battery life wasn't exceptional and when using outdoors in colder conditions it was struggling to deliver at times escpecially if a match went into extra time or penalties. I've now moved to a DELL XPS13, 16gb ram with 500ssd and the battery life is immense. Over 10hrs showing last night with all apps running. Turned brightness down to 40% which was more than ample.
Windows laptops suited the way I work. I've tried macbooks and they couldn't replicate the tethered function which I needed for my job.

www.portadownfc.co.uk (external link)
Canon 1DX +1D Mkiv - Canon 300 IS F2.8 + Sigma 70-200 F2.8 & 120-300 f2.8
My Gallery: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/actionpix/ (external link)

MartinCapal
39 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2014
Post edited 2 months ago by MartinCapal. (3 edits in all)

Nov 18, 2018 20:14 |  #12

Year ago I got myself used MBP 15” mid 2015 model with Ati dedicated GPU, i7 2,5Ghz, 16Gb, 512SSD. At first I was mad how much performance I expected and I was disappointed. Couple of months later I got used to it and I find it very fine. Because I expected a lot for the money I gave away.
But... It is not about performance of GPU. I have an awesome Retina screen which is really cool to look at, to work in apps with. Keyboard is great since I ve been typing with all ten and I am insanely fast with it. The whole laptop can be used with big trackpad only and it does not annoy you, I really enjoy it. Battery life is great. MacOS is fast within its own apps and environment. Speakers are a high quality and I love listening to them. Browsing in safari using trackpad is a good experience, very fast. SSD is insanely fast(1500mb up and down per sec).
When in Finder(explorer equivalent), I only press spacebar to fast preview anything. The workflow is nice. I may have veen expecting a little higher performance with Photoshop, however I did some really heavy work woth that(many smart objects, smart filters, many masks etc). Overall it is pretty nice.
I still aim higher - will be selling it and I get custom desktop and put MacOS(Hackintosh) into it because I am in need of more performance for what I do.

In the past I had Elitebook from HP. Quadro graphics was nice woth photoshop and I had SSD in it. Nice machine. But big. Heavy. MBP did a bettter job in every component.

It os really up to you what do you want. If u want raw performance, go some 10xx GPU with Win10. If u want something to enjoy, go Mac. For photo, video, browsing, it is nice experience. But expensive(u still can sell it for a lot of money). It is only my opinion. I used a lot of Windows based laptops but I found myself most comfortable and happy in MacOS. Thus my future Hackintosh.

And I am not a fan of overkill 4k screens in 13” and 15” laptops. If they did qHD(1440p) it would be great. Retina is 2880x1800 and it is jist fine. With 4K there is some performance lost in it(I am sure this opinion wont be popular:))

5D Classic | 50STM | Sony Alfa7
http://www.instagram.c​om/martincapal (external link)

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 18, 2018 21:09 as a reply to  @ MartinCapal's post |  #13

I'm not aware of 13" laptops that are UHD resolution. Part of it is that most 13" laptops are advertised as light notebooks and don't have dedicated graphics, and 13" doesn't need that kind of pixel pitch. For 15", I think most current offerings with a dedicated graphics card can handle UHD just fine (I know there are some arguments for the latest games and how much video RAM you need...in that case, you may need to reduce resolution for optimal 60fps newest games).

I have an older Dell mobile workstation that has a Quadro card and an I7 quad core from the era. One thing that is nice about it is that being a larger form factor is that it has an optical drive and space for my primary drive being SSD and a secondary 2.5 platter drive. It was never really designed for battery life, though...and with its age, it's just non-existent now. But with the Quadro card, it still is very good with 3D animation software.

I recently got a Lenovo Yoga with UHD touchscreen, I7 processor, 16GB RAM, and 512GB solid state drive. I bought it to be my portable computer. I've never had a hiccup with 2D graphics. I also liked the 2-in-1 feature and that I can illustrate with a Wacom stylus. Windows 10 is also a better PC OS for 4K: it has some nice compatibility features for what apps you have that might not support "highDPI" (scaling fonts up to the bigger scale you set with Windows Desktop).

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,219 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 2 months ago by Wilt. (4 edits in all)

Nov 18, 2018 22:23 |  #14

I have been involved with personal computing since the mid-80's when it became a more common thing. I have had jobs with Apple gear, jobs with Windows PCs, I have used both for office automation and spreadsheets and for graphics work with photos.

The first basic principle: One thing I know for certain, after leaving the Apple community for a while and then coming back to it years later...the 'Apple is intuitive' is a bunch of marketing BS. If you leave the Apple community for a while, you have to spend some time to learn even how to do the basic functions; just like you have to relearn Windows 10 after having used Windows 7, or relearning where Word 2010 functions are hidden, compared to Word 2003! 'Intuitive' is pure marketing BS, whether espoused by Apple or Microsoft! Having an Apple Genius to help you out is a nice benefit, but you have to ask yourself,

• 'If Apple is so intuitive to use, why do they need to have a staff of Genius' in every store to help out users to set up their computers?!...
  • is the Apple user fundamentally more technically challenged than the Windows user, and therefore it requires Genius support?!'

I think not!

The second basic principle: When you buy Apple, you pay considerably MORE MONEY than if you want to get the equivalent PC. Add-on accessories cost more, too..

The third basic principle: Either Apple or Windows PC will have the same essential capabilities...choice is a matter of basic preference.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

tcphoto1
Goldmember
1,233 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 18, 2018 22:46 |  #15

I’ve only owned Macs so I’m a little biased. I would suggest a MBP with 16GB of RAM and a 500GB SSD for processing and editing images. The last one I bought was from Apples Refurbished Store and it arrived as new and hasn’t disappointed me in the two years I’ve owned it. I think that 8GB may disappoint you and cannot be upgraded by the user.

www.tonyclarkphoto.com (external link)
www.tcphoto.org (external link)

sponsored links

1,977 views & 19 likes for this thread
New laptop: Macbook or Win10?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.