Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
15,715 posts
Gallery: 2421 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 2 months ago by Pondrader.

Nov 19, 2018 07:48 |  #826

Adapter on the 100-400LII + 1.4III

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Coderunner
255 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2004

Nov 19, 2018 07:51 |  #827

I really like the silent shutter which allows me to shoot feeder birds without spooking them.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

1D X Mark II,5D Mark IV,7Dii & too many lens
http://www.sthornhill.​com (external link)

Pondrader
15,715 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 19, 2018 07:58 as a reply to  @ Coderunner's post |  #828

I hope they make is work in servo mode with a firmware. Nice job

flickr (external link)

Cyberex
133 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2014

Nov 19, 2018 09:04 |  #829

Beautiful! So sharrrrrrrp !!!

500px (external link)
||||||||||||
Canon 5D mk2 | Samyang 14/2.8 | Canon EF 24-70/2.8L | 40/2.8 | 85L II | 135L (L for Love) | x1.4 Extender | Studio flashes and other stuff

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,451 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 19, 2018 09:39 |  #830

Pondrader wrote in post #18754284 (external link)
The control ring really kinda completes the triangle.. Without the back wheel we are left with the screen. It works flawlessly in the lens or the adaptor...

I think it makes this camera much nicer to use if you are one who doesn't like messing with the back screen all the time.

There is no need to push or hold a button for control ring use. works as your wheel on a Dslr..

And Fella's talking about the CR3 files and their use is direct conversation about the EOS R as it is the only camera using it.. so I think its relevant and on topic..

Thanks for this video

But isn't this is basically Live View composing that all cameras with live view can do. I dont think its unique to the R

or

am I missing something

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,565 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 19, 2018 09:40 |  #831

mdvaden wrote in post #18752897 (external link)
This is from the original of my previous post, with the Lightroom exposure slider cranked to the extreme right, cropped 100%. There is some noise, but nothing I would call banding. The right shadow is from a light fixture on the ceiling. Likewise with the forest shot I shared the other day in this thread of the woman kneeling between redwoods is no banding.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by mdvaden in
./showthread.php?p=187​52897&i=i142341712
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

I see some fine horizontal banding there, but I have no idea how much this is pushed. When a camera model has banding in every specimen, it does not mean that banding shows in most or many shots. My concern is how true the real DR is to the measured DR or PDR, and having banding in the post-gain read noise (the dominant read noise at base ISO) keeps the practical DR from being as much as the charts say.

A camera stated to have 12 stops of DR, but has totally random noise character has a lot more *real*, practical DR than one with 13 stops measured, but highly banded read noise. Running into banding when you push shadows is much worse than running into spatially-random noise.

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,805 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 19, 2018 09:46 |  #832

John Sheehy wrote in post #18754342 (external link)
I see some fine horizontal banding there, but I have no idea how much this is pushed. When a camera model has banding in every specimen, it does not mean that banding shows in most or many shots. My concern is how true the real DR is to the measured DR or PDR, and having banding in the post-gain read noise (the dominant read noise at base ISO) keeps the practical DR from being as much as the charts say.

A camera stated to have 12 stops of DR, but has totally random noise character has a lot more *real*, practical DR than one with 13 stops measured, but highly banded read noise. Running into banding when you push shadows is much worse than running into spatially-random noise.

No idea how much it's pushed? My post should have noted the exposure slider was cranked all the way to the right. Whether there's fine banding is questionable. I can't really spot any and I'm trying to look for it. But if there is a hint that certain people can detect, bringing the exposure that extreme to reveal any indicates its probably of little concern.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,565 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 19, 2018 09:49 |  #833

tigerotor77w wrote in post #18753014 (external link)
The follow-up question would therefore be -- should I expect any shadow banding with the EOS R in situations where the blacks are around 2 EV darker than what a "properly" metered scene would have? (The 6D does not have banding with this sort of push, but the shadows also don't necessarily look great in areas of high detail, either.)

Assuming that the R is like the 5D4 and 6D2; it has 1/3 stop more RAW headroom than the 6D, which means that if you want the expected shadow cleanliness hinted at by DR measurements, you need to expose these newer cameras 1/3 stop further to the right. If you don't, the benefit of the R in the shadows is reduced, and since it's read noise character is more banded than the 6D, you may get little benefit from the R, as the banding makes the shadows go yucky with less of a push.

Note that Imaging-Resource and DPR studio samples are exposed for the ISO setting; not its headroom, so when you can compare at the same ISO, the noise difference in the shadows is not directly related to DR, because you don't know how much of that DR is unused RAW headroom.

therobveiller
186 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 19, 2018 11:15 |  #834

Question for all you lucky EOR R owners. Hidden deep in the UK spec sheet it says the R will support use of the Canon GP-E2 GPS Unit to directly embedd GPS data in the RAW files as per the 5D4 & 6D own inbuilt GPS. Has anyone got a GP-E2 and can they confirm a yes or no on its functional compatibility mounted on the EOS R please?

I ask as it seems some of the newer bodies no longer support the external GPS unit and require the battery wasting wifi link to get GPS data from a phone, whose battery also drains at a rate of knots to provide this data - progress allegedly. My 80D supports the GP-E2, but my latest generation APS-C mirrorless M50 doesn't even though the the older EOS M mk1 does!

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,561 posts
Gallery: 327 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 19, 2018 12:15 |  #835

therobveiller wrote in post #18754399 (external link)
Question for all you lucky EOR R owners. Hidden deep in the UK spec sheet it says the R will support use of the Canon GP-E2 GPS Unit to directly embedd GPS data in the RAW files as per the 5D4 & 6D own inbuilt GPS. Has anyone got a GP-E2 and can they confirm a yes or no on its functional compatibility mounted on the EOS R please?

I ask as it seems some of the newer bodies no longer support the external GPS unit and require the battery wasting wifi link to get GPS data from a phone, whose battery also drains at a rate of knots to provide this data - progress allegedly. My 80D supports the GP-E2, but my latest generation APS-C mirrorless M50 doesn't even though the the older EOS M mk1 does!

The manual says it works with the GP-E2 I believe. Honestly the tagging from your cell phone works really well. I just make sure each time I start taking pictures that it shows that it has location locked on. Sometimes you have to go open the Canon app on your phone to get it to connect.

Canon EOS M6 - EOS R - EF, EF-M and RF lenses
Donate for Forum Costs

Pondrader
15,715 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 19, 2018 13:04 |  #836

umphotography wrote in post #18754341 (external link)
Thanks for this video

But isn't this is basically Live View composing that all cameras with live view can do. I dont think its unique to the R

or

am I missing something

Yes the back screen shows the same as the viewfinder. So your seeing all of above in the viewfinder. Mostly just demonstrating the control ring and how it works... but yes the R is always in live view mode as an af system..

flickr (external link)

Pondrader
15,715 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 19, 2018 13:14 |  #837

mdvaden wrote in post #18754346 (external link)
No idea how much it's pushed? My post should have noted the exposure slider was cranked all the way to the right. Whether there's fine banding is questionable. I can't really spot any and I'm trying to look for it. But if there is a hint that certain people can detect, bringing the exposure that extreme to reveal any indicates its probably of little concern.

I agree with you in that it’s all but impossible for people to draw conclusions from our images. It creates such drama and a incorrect assumption. They have no idea what we have done unless specified. I always find posting images so subjective and find myself explaining so often.

flickr (external link)

Molson1020
148 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 19, 2018 13:55 |  #838

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4892/45910201362_e9c016fbec_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2cWV​MnU  (external link) Self Portrait November 2018 (external link) by Matt Olson (external link), on Flickr

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,561 posts
Gallery: 327 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 19, 2018 14:36 |  #839

My RF 35mm shipped. I'm hoping I get it Wednesday before we leave for Thanksgiving!

Canon EOS M6 - EOS R - EF, EF-M and RF lenses
Donate for Forum Costs

Nismode
Goldmember
1,807 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 19, 2018 17:15 |  #840

randy98mtu wrote in post #18754506 (external link)
My RF 35mm shipped. I'm hoping I get it Wednesday before we leave for Thanksgiving!

Can't wait to see some sample photos!

flickr (external link)|ModelMayhem (external link)|Instagram (external link)
EOS R|6D2|6D|EOS M5|Mavic Air|Mavic 2 Zoom
EF-M 22 f/2|EF-M 15-45 IS|Rokinon 12 f/2 (EF-M)
Σ12-24mm II|Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8|40mm f/2.8 STM|50mm f/1.8 STM|50mm f/1.4|85mm f/1.8|70-210 f/4|Σ150mm f/2.8 Macro
Godox AD-200 (x2)|V860 II (x2)|V350c

sponsored links

194,409 views & 5,936 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.