Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 15 Nov 2018 (Thursday) 22:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Noise Reduction and Sharpening

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,278 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Nov 18, 2018 06:17 |  #16

1. Shadows aren't ever blown, only highlights. Rarely do you have pure black pixels in an image, but very easy to have pure white, thus blown highlights.
2. In order to keep both the sky and a bird within the dynamic range of the camera, it is very common to bring up the shadows of the bird. A silhoutte of a bird is quite frankly boring IMO.
3. If you don't want the bird to be shadowed, then you will often have to blow out the sky to get the exposure on the bird correct out of camera.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

sponsored links
Isaac ­ Maxwell
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2018

Nov 18, 2018 07:48 |  #17

I’m talking about the black spot under the chin that stays black no matter how much lightening or shadow reduction you use. I would call that blown. Those details can’t seem to be recovered. I couldn’t get them in DDR. You guys couldn’t get them in LR or PS. Is there a different word for pixels that are too dark to recover detail from? Am I the only one who sees them? I’ve viewed the images on my pc monitor and my iPhone screen, so it would be odd for it to be my two devices and only my two devices.

Total rookie here, so constructive criticism is always appreciated.

Isaac ­ Maxwell
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Sep 2018

Nov 18, 2018 08:47 as a reply to  @ post 18753476 |  #18

Yes, that. I don’t have access to my pc right now, or I would have circled it myself.

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,402 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 18, 2018 09:30 |  #19

Isaac Maxwell wrote in post #18753481 (external link)
Yes, that. I don’t have access to my pc right now, or I would have circled it myself.

That is part of the birds natural plumage. Whatever you do don't photograph a leopard otherwise you will be in apoplexy.

Some days I'm the dog, some days I'm the lamppost.

Isaac ­ Maxwell
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Sep 2018

Nov 18, 2018 10:33 as a reply to  @ john crossley's post |  #20

Oh, well this is slightly embarrassing. I had to scroll to the second to last image of Red-Shouldered Hawk in Merlin to find an example of a hawk with this feature, but alas, there it is.

My apologies if I came off a bit defensive. I just thought I was losing my mind.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,239 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 18, 2018 11:00 |  #21

Isaac Maxwell wrote in post #18753535 (external link)
I just thought I was losing my mind.

you've come to the right place.

:D

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,278 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 2 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Nov 19, 2018 17:21 |  #22

Isaac Maxwell wrote in post #18753481 (external link)

That isn't a "blown shadow", ie. it's not pure black. As you raise the levels 3 stops, it doesn't go from black to gray, it actually shows its brownish colors. Again, rarely will you get a section of the image where the RGB values are actually 0,0,0. However on the flip side, it is quite easy to get blown highlights (RGB of 255,255,255). There is no way to pull data out of that, the pixel is saturated and no longer contains color info.

It looks like you already received your answer, but I feel this is good follow-up info for others too. Keep shooting and sharing!

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 2 months ago by davesrose.

Nov 19, 2018 20:58 as a reply to  @ Isaac Maxwell's post |  #23

"Blown" is usually reserved for the clipping in highlights. If you underexpose a photo and clip shadows, they can appear to be blocky when you try to raise shadows (though as recent exchanges show with this photo, it's more about low resolution). I think the main thing that's challenging with this photo is that your subject doesn't take up much of the frame. If you are interested in wildlife, you'll need to get longer telephoto lenses. You'll be able to get more detail by framing your subject in most of the frame. It's also then easier to meter your subject. If it's just a portion of the sky, chances are that you're mainly metering the sky.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Isaac ­ Maxwell
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Sep 2018

Nov 20, 2018 05:55 as a reply to  @ davesrose's post |  #24

Yeah, I’m working on fixing that. It’s a slow process, though. I’m almost at the point where I can pick up a used 75-300mm so I can get a little closer. Long term goal is a 100-400mm, but that’s a little way off.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,278 posts
Joined May 2002

Nov 20, 2018 05:59 |  #25

There are at least two good third party options, no reason to stay with just Canon lenses, especially the 75-300. Just not a good lens. The Canon 55-250 is a better lens, but also consider the Tamron 100-400 or Sigma 150-600.

Intheswamp
Goldmember
1,160 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 20, 2018 08:58 |  #26

I'm working with the basics and have no idea what I'm doing. John, I'm curious how you used the healing brush to remove the halo. I'm using my humble CS2 and a few plug-ins.

After putting too much time into it, here is my edit...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

www.beeweather.com (external link)

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,402 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 20, 2018 09:50 |  #27

Intheswamp wrote in post #18755017 (external link)
I'm curious how you used the healing brush to remove the halo.

Some days I'm the dog, some days I'm the lamppost.

Intheswamp
Goldmember
1,160 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 20, 2018 11:46 |  #28

Wow!!! Very simple! Thanks for sharing that, John. I appreciate it.

www.beeweather.com (external link)

Isaac ­ Maxwell
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Sep 2018
Post edited 2 months ago by Isaac Maxwell. (2 edits in all)

Nov 21, 2018 23:01 |  #29

Finally got some time to redo this edit. I followed basically the same process (noise reduction and sharpening in DDP followed by cropping and sharpening in PSE) but I turned everything way down from my initial post. I also lightened up the image significantly. I think it looks a whole lot better.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4915/45270584204_d6891c934d_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2bYp​ztS  (external link) RSH2 (external link) by Isaac Maxwell (external link), on Flickr

Jeez, looking at it now, I think I should have just lightened the bird and the wire and left the sky darker. Maybe I'll go back and fix that real quick.

Edit: I tried it, and I had a lot more oversharpening artifacts and a lot more noise than this image and I applied the same amount of each to both images. Seems weird to me.

sponsored links

1,705 views & 13 likes for this thread
Noise Reduction and Sharpening
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.