Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 29 Oct 2018 (Monday) 12:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Upgrade from 5D Mark II: 5D Mark IV or EOS R?

ozziepuppy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,125 posts
Gallery: 197 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 08, 2018 17:51 |  #16

It is interesting how different people prefer different models. I appreciate all viewpoints, pro and con. I actually have decided to hold off purchasing anything new for a while, but want to continue to gather "intel" for the future!

Marci
Constructive criticism always appreciated.
Gear
Pre-2018 Feedback :)

sponsored links
RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,009 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 08, 2018 19:39 |  #17

From my research of various sources, the Canon specs (at least as it pertains to burst speed) are not accurate.

Apparently, the EOS R will soot at the Canon advertised burst speed only when it doesn't have to refocus (like when following a moving subject). When needing to follow focus, the speed drops drastically...

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,341 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Nov 08, 2018 19:43 |  #18

It's strange that it does that too. The 5D4 has no issues with slowing burst speeds depending on AF modes/settings. It almost feels like another Canon trick to differentiate models, but who knows? I cannot see how it would be technical thing.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 08, 2018 20:50 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #19

This link was posted in a lens thread from Mike:

https://www.youtube.co​m …ywqiXv7c&featur​e=youtu.be (external link)

The indication is that 1D/5D AF performance is faster because of predictive focusing with already tried and true phase AF. The Canon R is using a new method of responsive AF from a sample of high density DPAF.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,828 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 08, 2018 23:17 |  #20

I read this topic the other day. And had a chance to shoot a lot more with the EOS R noted in the title. Its a great camera and I'm glad I bought it. But for others, it may be worth interjecting the question, does the one thinking of buying know whether it will be their only body, or will they shoot with two?

My 5DS and 5D mk iii were about the same for controls. There was no main camera. They both were main and backup.

I can tell that unless an EOS R pro has the same controls as the EOS R, I probably won't have similar bodies and controls. And I am keeping the 5DS too.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

mihazero
161 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Nov 09, 2018 01:14 |  #21

mdvaden wrote in post #18747017 (external link)
I read this topic the other day. And had a chance to shoot a lot more with the EOS R noted in the title. Its a great camera and I'm glad I bought it. But for others, it may be worth interjecting the question, does the one thinking of buying know whether it will be their only body, or will they shoot with two?

My 5DS and 5D mk iii were about the same for controls. There was no main camera. They both were main and backup.

I can tell that unless an EOS R pro has the same controls as the EOS R, I probably won't have similar bodies and controls. And I am keeping the 5DS too.

As I said EOS R is sooo different that I personaly can not see someone being able to seemlesly use both cameras. One is just far superior to other in terms of sheer speed of use. Disregard DPAF and all those other things. Layout is so different that Your mind needs to get retrained and mine at least can not use 80D alongside 5Dmk4. In fast paced enviroment even that can be confusing, and 80D is simplified design of proper DSLR in terms of buttons and layout.

So till there is EOS R Pro that address all my issues with EOS R ... im not considering switching.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,341 posts
Joined May 2002

Nov 09, 2018 05:42 |  #22

That is what i am waiting for as well. The eos r seems to be a great replacement to something like the 6d2, but isnt a replacement to the 5d4 if you shoot fast paced action, sports, etc. It is a great portrait, event, landscape, some wildlife, and an occassional action camera though, just like the 6d/6d2. I also hope the next version has something like spot AF, where it has even a smaller AF box mode instead of the two large/medium options currently supported.

I also shot NBA sports for a season or two with a 5d3, high ISO and tracking, with great results, and I dont see the eos r matching even that model for sports. There have been a few Canon selected pros that showed eos r sports usage, but they didnt use the camera for the entire game, they just posted some of the easier shots (outside lighting, isolated players). Time will tell how correct my views are. :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,341 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Nov 10, 2018 11:44 |  #23

Last night reminds me why I shoot with the 5D4...

Crop at a high ISO, AF stayed locked as the player bobbed and then took the jump shot.

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Sports-Events/Mad-Ants-Current-Season/Nov-9-2018/i-x3sFmg9/0/7c83998f/X3/FX8A2858a-X3.jpg

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Sports-Events/Mad-Ants-Current-Season/Nov-9-2018/i-qcx45qn/0/9421f6e7/X3/FX8A2914a-X3.jpg

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Sports-Events/Mad-Ants-Current-Season/Nov-9-2018/i-q47sdtV/0/f1f1b176/X3/FX8A3002a-X3.jpg

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Sports-Events/Mad-Ants-Current-Season/Nov-9-2018/i-TRjb8vj/0/4d52f773/X3/FX8A3027a-X3.jpg

tcphoto1
Goldmember
1,235 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 10, 2018 13:56 |  #24

I have moved from the 1Dx and 1DsIII to two 5DIV's over the past six weeks and never considered the R. As a first generation body, I wasn't going to commit to the R especially with a bag of L lenses. I can only imagine adding adapters on top of the already annoying Apple dongles required to connect USB2, USB3 and Thunderbolt3 connections. Now, there are rumors that there will be a higher megapixel and smaller sensor sometime in the next year.

www.tonyclarkphoto.com (external link)
www.tcphoto.org (external link)

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,828 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by mdvaden. (2 edits in all)

Nov 11, 2018 00:11 |  #25

mihazero wrote in post #18747059 (external link)
As I said EOS R is sooo different that I personaly can not see someone being able to seemlesly use both cameras. One is just far superior to other in terms of sheer speed of use. Disregard DPAF and all those other things. Layout is so different that Your mind needs to get retrained and mine at least can not use 80D alongside 5Dmk4. In fast paced enviroment even that can be confusing, and 80D is simplified design of proper DSLR in terms of buttons and layout.

So till there is EOS R Pro that address all my issues with EOS R ... im not considering switching.

Yes, as noted by some like Jared Polin, the focus advantage of using the EOS R's screen rather than a joystick gives a sheer speed of use to it in that category. I found that the 3rd control ring for every RF lens and EF lens, coupled with the touch bar certain increase speed of use too. So in that regard, yes, the EOS could be considered superior in that way.

With the EOS R being better in low light to hunt focus, I can see where it can save certain photographers time for that too. Having used it in the dim redwood forest the other day, it made the 85mm 1.2 ii even better to work with.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
11,285 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Sep 2006
Post edited 3 months ago by inthedeck.

Nov 11, 2018 00:32 |  #26

ozziepuppy wrote in post #18746843 (external link)
I actually have decided to hold off purchasing anything new for a while, but want to continue to gather "intel" for the future!

I agree with you on that move. Certainly the same one I've made. Caveat for me, I don't have much invested except 1 cam, 1 main lens, and one occasional lens left.

Sony - I'm not too sure of their quality, glass is just not there for me. Look at the used prices on B&H some day. Ouch for resale.
Nikon - Z7/Z6 look nice, but, again, first gen FF. Z6 tempts me more than the 7, and not because of price.
Canon - R looks nice, but again first gen FF, no 85 (deal breaker for me, currently, and to spend another 100 on an adapter that will be worthless, down the road...pointless). I've used lots of lenses, bought/sold/etc. Never traded/sold the 85L II. No one comes close to having one. Some day, perhaps.
- DSLR's - no point in investing heavily into going forward, given the future is starting to be paved by all things electronic.
- EF/EF-s - same point as DSLR's. Will eventually be replaced by RF and EF-M, respectively.
- EF-M - this will be developed upon, over time I presume, but, I'm not a fan of APS-c.

Beyond that, there's lots of other brands. But, their lens line-ups aren't the greatest, and Leica is too ridiculously priced, etc.

So, hurry up, and wait. We'll see what 2019 brings, for the 2020 Olympics! :)

MCSquared Photography (external link) on WWW
MCSquared Photography (external link) on Flickr
MCSquared Photography (external link) on IG
My name: Manish.

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,828 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 18, 2018 00:01 |  #27

inthedeck wrote in post #18748530 (external link)
Canon - R looks nice, but again first gen FF, no 85 (deal breaker for me, currently, and to spend another 100 on an adapter that will be worthless, down the road...pointless).

Why would a $100 adapter be worthless when it enables every EF lens, and more, to work with that camera body? It could take 10 years for the value of the adapter to decline. With my EOS R, the adapter also allows me to borrow any EF lens that another Canon photographer happens to bring along when we shoot together.

mihazero
161 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Nov 18, 2018 10:33 |  #28

mdvaden wrote in post #18748522 (external link)
Yes, as noted by some like Jared Polin, the focus advantage of using the EOS R's screen rather than a joystick gives a sheer speed of use to it in that category. I found that the 3rd control ring for every RF lens and EF lens, coupled with the touch bar certain increase speed of use too. So in that regard, yes, the EOS could be considered superior in that way.

With the EOS R being better in low light to hunt focus, I can see where it can save certain photographers time for that too. Having used it in the dim redwood forest the other day, it made the 85mm 1.2 ii even better to work with.

Touch for moving focus point is sooo much faster ... but without tactile feedback its also ... fiddly. When You lift Your thumb from the screen AF point moves. As long as you keep in on screen its there. Also ... moving points is not second nature to any of us since thumb is not a digit we use for precise aiming and pointing. I would really really need some tactile feedback in order to know i moved my points one point to the left instead of free flow around the screen without ability to move points one point only.

dusa
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Nov 20, 2018 07:55 |  #29

mihazero wrote in post #18753533 (external link)
Touch for moving focus point is sooo much faster ... but without tactile feedback its also ... fiddly. When You lift Your thumb from the screen AF point moves. As long as you keep in on screen its there. Also ... moving points is not second nature to any of us since thumb is not a digit we use for precise aiming and pointing. I would really really need some tactile feedback in order to know i moved my points one point to the left instead of free flow around the screen without ability to move points one point only.

The operation of the eos R is the same as from an old Nokia to a new Iphone. It takes time to get used to it, I succeeded in 3 weeks. And it's not an upgrade for the 5DIV.
Greetings Paul

Canon EOS R, Canon 6D, EF 16-35 F4 is usm, EF-S 24-105 is stm, EF-S 10-18 is, EF 40 2.8, EF-S 18-55 is, EF-S 55-250 is

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,828 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 22, 2018 00:47 |  #30

dusa wrote in post #18754979 (external link)
The operation of the eos R is the same as from an old Nokia to a new Iphone. It takes time to get used to it, I succeeded in 3 weeks. And it's not an upgrade for the 5DIV.
Greetings Paul

Like others who have posted, you are both right and wrong.

The EOS R launches EF lenses into a league of operation that the 5D mk iii nor the 5D mk iv can't touch.

sponsored links

5,240 views & 60 likes for this thread
Upgrade from 5D Mark II: 5D Mark IV or EOS R?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.