Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,162 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 21, 2018 17:38 |  #886

Pondrader wrote in post #18755930 (external link)
Thats the truth.. I think you could be right about the big glove thing.. I shot it and moved the af point but I dont remember thinking about it. I have started using a high tech glove thinner glove inside a heavier glove for -20c and below. I did the same with the 7DII.. I do find the R moves across the screen faster than the 7DII ever did. They have heated gloves out there.. I'm interested in trying those out too.

I was more talking about the physical limitations of the R in that its adaptive Af could be and is just a smidge slower in following a subject. That is the challenge and the thing that begs me to use an R.

Well speaking of AF that was better than I had expected based on my previous experience with mirrorless. Especially when the light started to disappear.

If you're looking for specialized winter photography gloves check out the Heat 3 Smart. They are very pricey for gloves but you'll likely never want to wear another glove while shooting in the cold once you try them.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

sponsored links
Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
15,730 posts
Gallery: 2428 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 21, 2018 17:57 |  #887

nqjudo wrote in post #18755940 (external link)
Well speaking of AF that was better than I had expected based on my previous experience with mirrorless. Especially when the light started to disappear.

If you're looking for specialized winter photography gloves check out the Heat 3 Smart. They are very pricey for gloves but you'll likely never want to wear another glove while shooting in the cold once you try them.

Apparently it can focus in the dark lol... but its the speed of acquisition and sustainability that I wonder about. and frame rate. The only real answer is to shoot it for a while and see. but ya don't see Canon sending me an EOS R.... you would think after all the 7DII's I sold for them they would at least lend me one for a year...

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

AeroSmith
Goldmember
4,476 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 21, 2018 18:03 as a reply to  @ post 18755833 |  #888

This is the cutest thing! Especially with the 35/1.8IS mounted on it. Feels good.

It feels like a meaty version of my very first Canon camera, an AE-1 my father bought me from B&H in 1979 when I was 11 ( he worked in NYC at the time). My daughter just used that same 40 year old AE-1 for three years of HS photography classes and took (stole) it to college with her.

So, with the 35macroIS, AF is clairvoyant, totally mental. I always shoot in AE so the control ring on the lens has got to be ISO. I'm looking through the viewfinder using the cross keys for AF point selection and the Mfn button to turn on AF point selection. Fun! Once I dialed in some optical correction for my aging eyes I really like the viewfinder screen.

Josh Smith

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,044 posts
Gallery: 188 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 21, 2018 21:07 |  #889

nqjudo wrote in post #18755940 (external link)

hey Norm are you the guy who used to be known as Normcar on Fred Miranda or steves digicams?, used to photograph little birds a lot

5D3 7D2 Fuji X100 Fuji X10 canon glass and the odd shot with other brands
https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link)

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,162 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 21, 2018 21:15 |  #890

aladyforty wrote in post #18756086 (external link)
hey Norm are you the guy who used to be known as Normcar on Fred Miranda or steves digicams?, used to photograph little birds a lot

No I'm not but I do remember that user. I think he did a lot of macro too. I have a membership over at FM but I prefer the culture here so my activity at FM is limited to the marketplace.

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,044 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 21, 2018 21:30 |  #891

nqjudo wrote in post #18756088 (external link)
No I'm not but I do remember that user. I think he did a lot of macro too. I have a membership over at FM but I prefer the culture here so my activity at FM is limited to the marketplace.

No problem, I was just wondering because he gave me a lot of help way back in around 2007 with wildlife photography, then he seemed to disappear which was sad, I have a membership at FM but rarely go there for same reasons, also just seemed to lose interest in steves digicam site

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,162 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 21, 2018 21:51 |  #892

aladyforty wrote in post #18756096 (external link)
No problem, I was just wondering because he gave me a lot of help way back in around 2007 with wildlife photography, then he seemed to disappear which was sad, I have a membership at FM but rarely go there for same reasons, also just seemed to lose interest in steves digicam site

Yeah. It's funny how the little things make us gravitate to one forum or another. I'm pretty much a one forum at a time person and I don't think I'm alone. I PMed an FM member a few weeks ago to let him know I had at item for sale here that he was looking for. He had absolutely no idea what POTN was!! I came here from DCRP after it shut down and it was quite an adjustment. I see some former DCRP members active here occasionally. It was a good community.

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,044 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 21, 2018 22:20 |  #893

nqjudo wrote in post #18756111 (external link)
Yeah. It's funny how the little things make us gravitate to one forum or another. I'm pretty much a one forum at a time person and I don't think I'm alone. I PMed an FM member a few weeks ago to let him know I had at item for sale here that he was looking for. He had absolutely no idea what POTN was!! I came here from DCRP after it shut down and it was quite an adjustment. I see some former DCRP members active here occasionally. It was a good community.

pretty sure this site was a canon site when I joined years ago, it changed over time to add more brands

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,828 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by mdvaden.

Nov 22, 2018 00:56 |  #894

jlstan wrote in post #18755315 (external link)
Do all the 3rd party strobe transmitters play well with the R? Specifically curious about the ele skyport

One photographer posting on Youtube seemed to be having a white band issue toward the top when using a certain transmitter with B10's and HSS

I'm using Phottix Odin .. two sets .. and they work perfectly with slower shutter or HSS

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

DigitalTuned
All these thoughts give me nightmares
4,528 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 22, 2018 01:44 as a reply to  @ mdvaden's post |  #895

no issues with my godox ad360II but i dont use any of the fancy ettl and other functions so far in manual no issues

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
facebook - (external link) - 500px (external link)

ElTigreBlanco
543 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 22, 2018 04:44 as a reply to  @ post 18755639 |  #896

I came from a 6D and loved that camera but the R is on another level with image quality. I generally take test shots and specs with a grain of salt, they just don't seem to give an accurate comparison from my experience. I get why this camera tends to get critical reviews but I think it comes down to what features you NEED and if this camera fits those needs them it's just a joy to use. To me it feels like canon really put the shooter first with the R, I can put all of my controls exactly where I need them so when I shoot I don't stop to think about how to change a setting. It reminds me of riding a sportbike vs a cruiser

I like to shoot things...sometimes with a camera!

Petie53
369 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Nov 22, 2018 06:39 as a reply to  @ ElTigreBlanco's post |  #897

ElTigreBlanco - would love to hear more about the 6D vs R as I have the 6D.
Pete

Pete
6D, 60D, EOS-M, EOS-M3, 22M, 11-22M, 18-55M, 55-200M, 15L 2.8 fisheye, 10-22 EFS, 35 F/2 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70L 2.8 II, 70-300L, 100-400L II

ElTigreBlanco
543 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 22, 2018 11:01 as a reply to  @ Petie53's post |  #898

1. You have a great camera
2. It's an adjustment getting used to the new features but a definite upgrade in most ways
3. I don't usually upgrade to a brand new camera but I got a discount, otherwise I would have kept the 6D for another couple years or so
4. I base the worth of a camera on whether it will help me get shots I tend to miss with my current setup- the autofocus is the most obvious improvement for me from the 6D. I find the files more pleasing but I never had any issues in IQ with the 6D either.
5. Most of the feedback on the camera has been pretty shallow, comparing to the Sony's and Nikon. It seems to at least hold up in those comparisons but not really win them. The point a lot of people miss is useability and the depth of the full system.
6. These are mostly just my opinions, they're not going to seem accurate for someone with different views on upgrading or different shooting styles but for me the R is nearly perfect.

I like to shoot things...sometimes with a camera!

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,828 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by mdvaden.

Nov 22, 2018 12:41 |  #899

I don't watch this guy often, but thought his video had a few decent things that he shared. I don'r really shoot video, but found it interesting. He spends enough time talking about the output results that it seemed practical for this photo & discuss thread.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

tigerotor77w
Goldmember
1,563 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 22, 2018 14:25 |  #900

ElTigreBlanco wrote in post #18756249 (external link)
I came from a 6D and loved that camera but the R is on another level with image quality. I generally take test shots and specs with a grain of salt, they just don't seem to give an accurate comparison from my experience. I get why this camera tends to get critical reviews but I think it comes down to what features you NEED and if this camera fits those needs them it's just a joy to use. To me it feels like canon really put the shooter first with the R, I can put all of my controls exactly where I need them so when I shoot I don't stop to think about how to change a setting. It reminds me of riding a sportbike vs a cruiser

Thanks for your posts here -- I was also thinking of waiting a little bit before deciding what to replace my 6D with, but then the LCD died. If it can't be fixed for cheap, I'll have to decide between another 6D, the 5D4, or the R.

To avoid getting too philosophical, I'll just ask you... what was your reason for getting an R instead of the 5D4 to replace your 6D?

Photo blog (external link) | Gear

sponsored links

203,849 views & 6,168 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.