Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 29 Oct 2018 (Monday) 12:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Upgrade from 5D Mark II: 5D Mark IV or EOS R?

dusa
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Nov 22, 2018 01:02 |  #31

mdvaden wrote in post #18756185 (external link)
Like others who have posted, you are both right and wrong.

The EOS R launches EF lenses into a league of operation that the 5D mk iii nor the 5D mk iv can't touch.

You're right, I just mean that the operation of the R is just a new experience and has a steep learning curve. I am very happy with my R after 5 different dslr's. The new RF line lenses are indeed new and innovative.
regards

Canon EOS R, Canon 6D, EF 16-35 F4 is usm, EF-S 24-105 is stm, EF-S 10-18 is, EF 40 2.8, EF-S 18-55 is, EF-S 55-250 is

sponsored links
mdvaden
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 22, 2018 01:16 |  #32

dusa wrote in post #18756190 (external link)
You're right, I just mean that the operation of the R is just a new experience and has a steep learning curve. I am very happy with my R after 5 different dslr's. The new RF line lenses are indeed new and innovative.
regards

It is different enough that I needed to re-adapt to my 5DS today. I haven't touched the 5DS in several weeks and took it out to the redwoods yesterday and today. It took a few minutes to recall 5DS buttons efficiently after using the EOS R.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

AeroSmith
Goldmember
4,476 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 28, 2018 09:57 |  #33

I tried the R and returned it. As a current 5D4 user (and 5D3 and 5D before that) I absolutely could not adapt to the ergonomics of the R. It wasn't for a want of trying all sorts of various button programmings. And I couldn't stand the EVF turning off every time I moved the cameral away from my face and then having it take an infuriatingly long time to turn back on. I do love the control ring on the lenses though. Great feature which I set to ISO. To me the 5D4 is just a vastly superior camera on so many levels: image noise, shooting speed, ergonomics. Though I do think the RF mount is the future and eagerly await an R-Pro body.

Josh Smith

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,280 posts
Gallery: 155 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 28, 2018 10:07 |  #34

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18739692 (external link)
After reading the reviews on the M50 and checking it out locally, I sold the SL2. The M50 is even smaller, but handles nearly identically. With the kit lens, the camera is so small, it fits in my coat pocket. Also with the $250 50mm 1.2 manual lens, the two together are an awesome duo. The peak focus works so well.

Love the manual focusing, there is nothing like it on the DSLR front, even with live view and using the 5X. I have been taking the M50 with me everywhere, where I didn't so much with the SL2. This is just a "more funner" combination!
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by TeamSpeed in
./showthread.php?p=187​39692&i=i261487821
forum: Camera Vs. Camera

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by TeamSpeed in
./showthread.php?p=187​39692&i=i118785191
forum: Camera Vs. Camera

Can you elaborate on the 50mm f/1.2 you are using?
Forum EXIF is showing f/0.95 !! :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,278 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 2 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Nov 28, 2018 11:27 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #35

Rokinon M mount 50 1.2, and I became interested based on a Dustin Abbot video review, but then finding a great price pushed me over the edge.

Since the lens doesn't report, I suspect the camera uses .95 as the aperture, or that is how AMASS translates the lack of an aperture value.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,278 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 2 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Nov 28, 2018 18:28 |  #36

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18760246 (external link)
Rokinon M mount 50 1.2, and I became interested based on a Dustin Abbot video review, but then finding a great price pushed me over the edge.

Since the lens doesn't report, I suspect the camera uses .95 as the aperture, or that is how AMASS translates the lack of an aperture value.

Here is a pic of the lens on the M50, and a nice little pod I think many of us like! :) Wide open sample showing f1.2 and bokeh...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 28, 2018 21:25 |  #37

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18760566 (external link)
Here is a pic of the lens on the M50, and a nice little pod I think many of us like! :) Wide open sample showing f1.2 and bokeh...

Pod of joe, yes....but IMO Starbucks is over-rated. My daily pod is Kroger premium Colombian blend. One good youtube channel to spend a few mins each morning with is Good Mythical Morning. They recently did a coffee taste test (but it appears they aren't real men who take their coffee black :-) ).

Blind Coffee Chain Taste Test (external link)

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,278 posts
Joined May 2002

Nov 28, 2018 21:29 |  #38

davesrose wrote in post #18760660 (external link)
Pod of joe, yes....but IMO Starbucks is over-rated. My daily pod is Kroger premium Colombian blend. One good youtube channel to spend a few mins each morning with is Good Mythical Morning. They recently did a coffee taste test (but it appears they aren't real men who take their coffee black :-) ).

Blind Coffee Chain Taste Test (external link)

I actually use an Eco Brew cup, and have a coffee grinder, so I will grind up batches at a time, and then use it for coffee. Tastes better fresh that way IMO. :)

The starbucks was on sale, and that pod coupled with a good cocoa mix and cream makes a great chocolate mocha.

Chino3
115 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 29, 2018 10:59 as a reply to  @ davesrose's post |  #39

lol just watched that video last night! Link seems to like a stronger coffee though, but I wasn't surprised to see who one of the winners was.

904canon
136 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 06, 2018 05:06 |  #40

I went into Best Buy yesterday and checked out the 5Div and EOS R, leaning towards purchasing the 5Div to augment my 1DXii. I am purchasing the EOS R. Everyone has their pros & cons. I went home and ordered thru B&H. I am also getting a battery grip, extra battery of course and lens adapter to use all of my 'old' L glass.

LoneRider
Goldmember
1,587 posts
Gallery: 205 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited 2 months ago by LoneRider.

Dec 06, 2018 09:48 |  #41

I am a camera junkie. I don’t drink, don’t smoke, don’t do concerts or sports. Empty nester with a good “real” job and do real estate listing jobs “on the side” to support my gear habit. Gadgets are my only “vice”.

Over the years I’ve had LOTS of cameras, film and digital. Started digital DSLR with Nikon, then switched to Canon and also spent brief period with M4/3.

My first Canon DSLR was a T2i replaced by 7D, then added a 6D. Sold the 7D for a 7DII. Had a SL1, sold it for an M3. Sold the 7DII and 6D to get a 5DIV, sold the M3 for an M5. Added an 80D for a crop DSLR. Sold the M5 to make way for the R. Not much interest in my EF-M lenses I’ve been trying to sell so I bought an M50 so I can use the lenses.

Along the way I also picked up several “L” lenses and Tamron f/1.8 primes, and necessary adapters to use EF lenses on the M and R bodies.

Hard to follow? I currently have M50, 80D, 5DIV, and R. I like all of them, recognize they each have strengths and weaknesses and that some are better suited to certain tasks than others. No major complications switching between them for me. Yes, there are similarities and differences between them, but I believe the similarities outnumber the differences. I don’t see myself in a position of using two at a time and having to switch back and forth. Instead I take the one suited for the current task and leave rest behind.

M50 is my small “take everywhere” kit with 15-45mm and 18-150mm lenses.
5DIV does the real estate work and occasional landscape or where top IQ is a concern
80D is “family events” and wildlife where the crop factor and pixel density is a benefit.

The R is most likely going to take over for real estate jobs and family events, maybe even “everyday carry” with my EF-S 18-135mm lens once I get a chance to compare shots with it on the R in crop mode vs the 80D.

If I had to sell one, it would probably be the 5DIV. Why? R does most all of what it does and what the R doesn’t, the 80D makes up for in most cases. Would take pretty good hit selling the 80D and the two EF-S lenses I have. I like the R’s smaller size, IQ with the 24-105mm RF lens, and its spot on focus. Would be too much to give it up (plus it is new and shiny ;-)a). I already tried to drop the EF-M body but immediately missed it and up/downgraded from the M5 to the M50. Given all that, the 5DIV would net me the best resale and would be the “logical” one for me to sell.

Luckily I don’t have to sell any of them so I can “have it all”!

Wayne...
~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
GEAR LIST

ozziepuppy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,125 posts
Gallery: 197 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 31, 2018 10:09 |  #42

Update: I ended up with a 5D MK IV and have absolutely no regrets. It is an awesome camera and a joy to use! I may end up with a mirrorless at some point in the future, but for now I am having a great time with the 5D MK IV. :-):-):-)

Marci
Constructive criticism always appreciated.
Gear
Pre-2018 Feedback :)

LoneRider
Goldmember
1,587 posts
Gallery: 205 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 31, 2018 16:39 |  #43

ozziepuppy wrote in post #18781615 (external link)
Update: I ended up with a 5D MK IV and have absolutely no regrets. It is an awesome camera and a joy to use! I may end up with a mirrorless at some point in the future, but for now I am having a great time with the 5D MK IV. :-):-):-)

Congrats! It is a great camera.

I have had mine for almost two years now. Definite workhorse, has been my go to camera for real estate work. Having recently picked up the R, I am thinking of selling my 5D4, but only because I also have an 80D. If I could only have one camera, I don’t think mirrorless is ready for a “do it all” body.

Wayne...
~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
GEAR LIST

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,391 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 31, 2018 17:36 as a reply to  @ ozziepuppy's post |  #44

Classic choice is good choice.
I was able to play with R in the store. It is weird and still big camera while it native lens was next to awful in handling.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

vargasjv
727 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 24, 2019 00:30 |  #45

Just sold. My 5DIV for an R... One day so hard to say I regret it. But - I am pretty excited.

sponsored links

4,676 views & 54 likes for this thread
Upgrade from 5D Mark II: 5D Mark IV or EOS R?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.