Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
Thread started 31 Aug 2018 (Friday) 20:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Finally had a Memory Card Failure -- SanDisk Extreme 128gb....

eelnoraa
Goldmember
1,790 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 14, 2018 02:36 as a reply to  @ post 18699145 |  #16

If it is CF, you may want to contact Sandisk too. I know for a period of time, a few years back, Sandisk CF has FW issue where during some usage condition, some last written files will be lost. But that happened in a very short period of time. Sandisk held production and recalled all cards in retailler. You may want to check with them. They will replace your card if yours belongs to those serial number

Card reader can definitely be another reason tho

5Di, 5Diii, 28, 50, 85, 16-35II, 24-105, 70-200F2.8 IS

sponsored links
AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,488 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 18, 2018 18:36 |  #17

Jotto123 wrote in post #18699720 (external link)
I've had files disappear from a card once.

I believe it was from a card I reused. Since then I only use a card once.

You are, of course, joking. For others who may be reading:

With any quality card the risk of failure on first use is much higher than for the next hundred or thousand or so uses. Mean time to failure stats do not even include initial use because that reveals some many defects.

That said, I'm one of those who makes a habit of reformatting cards in the camera every tenth use of so. That is likely a foolish level of caution but does produce a "new" card.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

eelnoraa
Goldmember
1,790 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 18, 2018 19:07 |  #18

AZGeorge wrote in post #18731745 (external link)
You are, of course, joking. For others who may be reading:

With any quality card the risk of failure on first use is much higher than for the next hundred or thousand or so uses. Mean time to failure stats do not even include initial use because that reveals some many defects.

That said, I'm one of those who makes a habit of reformatting cards in the camera every tenth use of so. That is likely a foolish level of caution but does produce a "new" card.

The first part is a true statement.

The 2nd part, where you reformatting the card, it actually does NOT do much except marking all data invalid. Contrary to what is believed, it does NOT write and erase the whole card. Even low level format in SD card actually does NOT erase the whole card. The only command to erase the whole card is "secured erase", which I don't believe exist in CF, SD interface. CFast has a chance because it is SATA interface command.

5Di, 5Diii, 28, 50, 85, 16-35II, 24-105, 70-200F2.8 IS

f8andBeThere
89 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 31, 2018 17:52 |  #19

I reformat in the camera after each use.
I've never had a card problem after thousands of cycles on many cards. But I'm not naive enough to think that it can't happen. I've got a good recovery program and I've used it to help several friends recover files.
Most everyone I've talked to who has experienced a card problem was deleting files on the card while viewing them from a computer, both Macs and Windows machines.
Best way to delete is reformat in camera, in my experience. One guy's experience. Yours may be different.

5D Mark IV, 5D Mark III, 6D, 7D, 40D, 16-35mm f2.8 II, 16-35mm f4 IS, 24-70mm f2.8 II, 24-105mm f4 IS, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.8, 135mm f2, 70-200mm f2.8 IS, Sigma 15mm f2.8 fisheye, Sigma 35mm f1.4A, 430 EX II

Pirate65
44 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 22, 2018 12:10 as a reply to  @ f8andBeThere's post |  #20

After shooting I pull card from camera, transfer pics to laptop, put card back in camera and the reformat to delete pics. Been using the same card now for 6 years with no issues.

Kevin Reid
Kevinreidphotography.c​om

MajesticMomentsPhoto
875 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 28, 2018 20:53 |  #21

ok, here is a first for me as well.

This afternoon I'm shooting a family's Christmas photos at their house. During the shoot in which I formatted card prior to start in camera they wanted to see a certain file to see if I captured what they wanted bigger than on LCD. 132 files the card/camera shows. I shut off camera pull card pop it into my card reader hooked up to the Laptop, and ... nothing the folder or the files don't exist on the card. WTH???? I pull the card out reinsert, nothing? I pull card out and place it back in camera, NOTHING! 132 files don't exist!!! Lexar 1066x 64GB card is completely empty!!

Got home running image rescue as I type this???

never seen this issue before...

:cool:Lots of Bodies & Glass....:cool:

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,617 posts
Joined May 2003

Nov 29, 2018 03:06 |  #22

MajesticMomentsPhoto wrote in post #18760636 (external link)
Lexar 1066x 64GB card is completely empty!!

You might want to review the article at https://hetmanrecovery​.com …-memory-card-recovery.htm (external link), specifically the part about 1/2 way down about the different methods of recovery that should be used when you go above a 32 GB card, which you apparently have done.

MajesticMomentsPhoto
875 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by MajesticMomentsPhoto.

Nov 29, 2018 04:54 |  #23

John from PA wrote in post #18760763 (external link)
You might want to review the article at https://hetmanrecovery​.com …-memory-card-recovery.htm (external link), specifically the part about 1/2 way down about the different methods of recovery that should be used when you go above a 32 GB card, which you apparently have done.

My card is a CF card, purchased from B&H.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,617 posts
Joined May 2003

Nov 29, 2018 08:25 |  #24

MajesticMomentsPhoto wrote in post #18760786 (external link)
My card is a CF card, purchased from B&H.

Read the article at the link. The consideration is a computer issue and occurs when you cross the 32 GB threshold, regardless of whether it is a CF or SD card.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,019 posts
Gallery: 346 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Nov 29, 2018 10:18 |  #25

John from PA wrote in post #18760851 (external link)
Read the article at the link. The consideration is a computer issue and occurs when you cross the 32 GB threshold, regardless of whether it is a CF or SD card.

Interesting article.

I tried using big cards with my Android device (reading and transferring files) and it was a big headache. The reason was because of the proprietary nature of exFAT. That's a different issue than data loss but does point to the problems of that format.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

MajesticMomentsPhoto
875 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by MajesticMomentsPhoto.

Nov 29, 2018 20:18 |  #26

John from PA wrote in post #18760851 (external link)

I did, it doesn't mention CF cards once. it is all about SD and it's variations..

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

MajesticMomentsPhoto
875 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 29, 2018 20:53 |  #27

update: I tried Image rescue, nothing found. the card cannot be formatted, and it will not allow anything to be written to it...

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,617 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited 3 months ago by John from PA. (2 edits in all)

Nov 30, 2018 04:57 |  #28

MajesticMomentsPhoto wrote in post #18761316 (external link)
update: I tried Image rescue, nothing found. the card cannot be formatted, and it will not allow anything to be written to it...

The Lexar 1066x 64GB card is UDMA7 as I recall. When these first came out there were lots of issues and the final resolution was that the card reader had to be UDMA7 compatible. Lexar themselves, with their very high end reader, had to issue a firmware update to allow the reader to work reliably. You can read about the potential reader issue and incompatibility with UDMA7 at https://www.photo.net …xar-cards-failure.502098/ (external link). Should you be using the Lexar reader, the firmware updates are at http://www.lexar.com/s​upport/downloads/ (external link). The update that corrected the UDMA7 issue with the 3.0 dual slot reader is dated July 2012.

Check the camera firmware as well; for instance, with a 5DII firmware 2.1.2 incorporates a change that "Optimizes the camera’s performance when using certain UDMA 7-compatible CF cards released in February 2012 or later."

Checking around, some people report success in getting images off the card by leaving the card in the reader, then restarting their PC. If that works, don't touch the reader, use the opportunity to get the images off the card.

Also, before going much further, get yourself a bright flashlight and look into the card socket on the reader (or readers) and the camera. It has been awhile since much discussion of a bent pin in the socket but they have been know to happen and damage a card.

The ­ Fox
Goldmember
1,781 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 30, 2018 13:29 |  #29

I have had a 128gb card fail a few years ago, luckily it was just messing around stuff and wasnt a big deal. I now limit myself to 16-32gb cards so if one fails, I dont loose everything, or if it is something super important dual card it and set it to mirror. Having 1 card is nice and all but it is 1 point of failure, if you are shooting a wedding having some images is better than non.

"I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself" -Diane Arbus
7D MK II Gripped | 7D Gripped |17-50mm F2.8 | 35mm F1.4 | 60mm F2.8 Macro | 85mm F1.8 | 135mm F2L | 70-200mm F4L IS |

docholliday_sc001
My hypocrisy goes only so far.
224 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Nov 30, 2018 14:14 |  #30

The Fox wrote in post #18761673 (external link)
I have had a 128gb card fail a few years ago, luckily it was just messing around stuff and wasnt a big deal. I now limit myself to 16-32gb cards so if one fails, I dont loose everything, or if it is something super important dual card it and set it to mirror. Having 1 card is nice and all but it is 1 point of failure, if you are shooting a wedding having some images is better than non.

I shoot 128-256GB cards, but for important jobs, I'll shoot in dual card mode, with cards from two different manufacturers. The probability of both cards failing at that point is mitigated. Small cards suck as they usually will run out of space right when you need it!

sponsored links

2,166 views & 3 likes for this thread
Finally had a Memory Card Failure -- SanDisk Extreme 128gb....
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.