Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
Thread started 23 Nov 2018 (Friday) 11:12
Search threadPrev/next

First time photographer and model help

Jica
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Nov 2018

Nov 23, 2018 11:12 |  #1

Hi everyone, im just finaly registered in the forums, but i was a regular phantom in the forum.

The things is this: Im usually a hobbist in photography and usually only take product photography, but in the last few months i been taken some small workshops about portrait (nothing fancy and very basic, honestly) and my editing skills are loooooow (pretty much minor correction in camera raw)

Now, the major concern is, i have enough equipment, but lack of experience...

This friend of my, asked me about make a lingerie session, i turn her off when i started (lack of confidence to deliver a good work) but she asked again and i say "shure" (i mean, why not)

So far i have a few weeks to recieve some backdrops and a new lens, but im not very shure about what im gonna do, im starting reading basic posing book, G&N sticky thread tips and everithing i can, both editing and tips)

So i think i can pull off something, but im worried about the unexpected, my question to all of you is, what were your first time experience? What happened good or bad.... What could be the unexpected to be aware off those tiny things who could backlash on the session?

Thanks in advance

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,456 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 23, 2018 15:07 |  #2

Hello and welcome.

Random thoughts from a fellow non-professional:

Plan plenty of time. Messing around with lighting and hair can take a while. Short breaks are also good.

Pay high attention to lighting as poses change even slightly.

When the face will be visible play just as much attention to facial expression and eyes as you would for any portrait.

I like to put the model into a big robe and start with some traditional portraits. This helps establish quick rapport and gives underwear lines time to fade.

If possible have either an experienced make up artist on hand or a reliable approximation both of you are comfortable with. Hair often turns out to be five times as important as we think it going in. Unless you are a female, make sure the MUA is a woman. That makes things more comfortable for your subject. You can also, as needed, transform that third person into a reflector stand as needed.

I like to let models know at the beginning that we both will have the power to delete shots we don't like. For me that creates an relaxed and collegial atmosphere.

If you and your model are happy with working together the results of a first attempt aren't all that critical. Think of it as a mutual practice session. You can both learn and try, try again.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

sincity
169 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Feb 11, 2019 04:30 |  #3

Whenever I accept to take a shoot whether it is a lingerie or a product shoot, I do a extensive interview. Like what a model doesn't like ; she may have a scar or tattoo she regrets, so we have to minimize it by posing, clothing or lighting. PP on the scar or tattoo is dead last since it costs time and money. Same with a product shoot, I find the best way to show it off.

Try to give poses in general terms, some models can create a pose better than you think... They surprise me at time.

Some items can help your lingerie shoot from those double sided tape to create a invisible bra. A nice set of false eyelashes, stockings, and so forth. For me, those little things can make a better shoot much more and a lesser shoot less unbearable

568 views & 0 likes for this thread
First time photographer and model help
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.