Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 19 Nov 2018 (Monday) 20:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Noise Reduction and Sharpening Round 2

Isaac ­ Maxwell
35 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2018

Nov 19, 2018 20:24 |  #1

Ok, so I tried to take some of the advice you guys gave me over the last week. (less is more) This image has a busier background, so noise wasn't as much of a problem, but my equipment is noisy, so I had to touch it up a bit. I did a few points of luminance noise reduction and a couple points of strength in unsharp mask in DDP. Then I bought it over to PE and did a quick auto sharpen, separated the butterfly from the background (feathered the edge, that may have been a mistake) and upped the contrast and reduced the brightness a bit on the background. The edge of the butterfly looks kind of weird to me. Is that from the feathering? Thanks for the feedback!

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4891/32092535598_795c4713d8_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/QTUC​Kh  (external link) Butterfly (external link) by Isaac Maxwell (external link), on Flickr

And the RAW

https://we.tl/t-2QKvyODY2S (external link)

Total rookie here, so constructive criticism is always appreciated.

sponsored links
joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,275 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Nov 20, 2018 09:02 |  #2

If you cropped more tightly on the butterfly, the need to emphasize it would not be as great.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,494 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 20, 2018 22:07 |  #3

Even looking closely the edges look okay to me with just a slight halo but the overall impression is of a composite with the butterfly added to the background. You seem to be gaining some skills.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

daisan
104 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jun 2018

Nov 22, 2018 06:03 |  #4

Like your previous image the main issue is that you're trying to make an acceptable image from a tiny part of your original - it's never going to look good regardless of the processing you apply. I appreciate you couldn't really have got close to the bird, but in this instance it looks like you could. Get closer!

Duncan Kerridge
Norfolk Wedding Photographer (external link)
My Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

Isaac ­ Maxwell
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Sep 2018

Nov 22, 2018 08:05 as a reply to  @ daisan's post |  #5

I would have had to step in the flower bed. I'm not going to disrespect anybody's property just for a better picture, but point taken. ;)

Isaac ­ Maxwell
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Sep 2018

Nov 22, 2018 10:21 |  #6

All right, so I cropped this in a little tighter so I wouldn't have to do so much work to emphasize the butterfly. Since I did that, I didn't need to edit the background in a separate layer, avoiding the composite image look in the original post.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4806/44185452980_cc252b174d_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2ajv​ZLQ  (external link) Butterfly2 (external link) by Isaac Maxwell (external link), on Flickr

Qbx
Goldmember
3,909 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 27, 2018 16:54 |  #7

Last one is better. Why not mask the butterfly and darken the background a bit?

-- Image Editing OK --

Isaac ­ Maxwell
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Sep 2018

Nov 27, 2018 20:09 as a reply to  @ Qbx's post |  #8

I tried something similar to that in the first image, but it was a layer, not a mask, and the subject looked superimposed. Do you think using a mask would give a better result?

Qbx
Goldmember
3,909 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 28, 2018 02:31 |  #9

What I meant was to darken the background in order to set off the butterfly more.
Duplicate the Background layer. Select the butterfly carefully then invert the selection to get the background selected. Then create a layer mask from that and change the blend mode to Multiply. Then reduce opacity to 75% or whatever level feels right.

The same effect can be done with copy/paste to create a new layer from the BG selection if you like.

I don't think the butterfly looks composited. If the very light outline around the right wing gives you that impression, you can darken that using the healing brush or the burn tool.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

-- Image Editing OK --

Isaac ­ Maxwell
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Sep 2018

Nov 28, 2018 07:59 as a reply to  @ Qbx's post |  #10

Ok. I’ll give this image another go. Thanks for the tips.

sponsored links

828 views & 2 likes for this thread
Noise Reduction and Sharpening Round 2
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.