Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 27 Nov 2018 (Tuesday) 10:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Finally wanting to calibrate monitor

firme
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 27, 2018 10:46 |  #1

So I never calibrated a monitor when doing graphic design. My work consists of 50% print and 50% online. No big projects just business cards, flyers and occasional menus/brochures. Now I don't have a problem with the colors on this end, easier to get away with.

I don't do much photo editing as I don't have much gigs (this is my side gig). Here I do worry a bit about the colors as at least one time I have had colors print a bit different from what I saw on monitor. I have an Acer monitor that is at least 2 years old.

There is a facebook photography group that mentioned the ColorMunki and the Datacolor spyder4pro. I have no idea on this subject as never really paid attention to this until a few weeks ago.

Not sure if better to get a new/better monitor than what I have currently. Even if this is calibrated, images still may appear different on other monitors regardless if they are calibrated or not? Are these tools the better route to calibrate or are there other methods that can be done to calibrate monitor?

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
75,877 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Nov 27, 2018 13:20 |  #2

firme wrote in post #18759492 (external link)
Not sure if better to get a new/better monitor than what I have currently. Even if this is calibrated, images still may appear different on other monitors regardless if they are calibrated or not?

Yes. The best that you can do is to make sure that you're calibrated enough for your purposes.

Are these tools the better route to calibrate or are there other methods that can be done to calibrate monitor?

Some reading: Quick test:
http://epaperpress.com​/monitorcal/index.html (external link)

Monitor Calibration
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=158158
Monitor Calibration

How do you calibrate your monitor?
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=196318

LCD monitor test images (external link)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 27, 2018 16:16 |  #3

Thank you for the links PhotosGuy.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,335 posts
Joined May 2003

Nov 27, 2018 16:21 |  #4

firme wrote in post #18759705 (external link)
Thank you for the links PhotosGuy.

Some of the links from PhotosGuy are ancient. The one mentioned as "Monitor Calibration" is 10+ years old.

Check my content at https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18755919. It may be all you need.

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 28, 2018 12:54 |  #5

Thanks John.

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited 11 months ago by Alveric.

Nov 28, 2018 13:10 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

Best way to go is to use a colorimeter, like the Spyder: its 'eyes' are better than yours at calibrating. Yours are too subjective as they are subjected to many variables (fatigue, diet, room illumination, simultaneous contrast, &c., &c.), and won't give you consistent results.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,220 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 28, 2018 20:55 |  #7

I agree with the above post. A colorimeter/spectropho​tometer is the quickest and easiest way to do calibration and make sure you get it right. The spyder was on sale for Black Friday recently, so it might be worth a search to see if it’s still on sale. Either way the basic models aren’t too expensive, around $100 or so.

GEAR LIST

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 30, 2018 09:24 |  #8

Yes I did see the Spyder5 Pro was $50 off but waited too long and now it is back to regular price.

Would getting a "better" monitor be fine to do, although I know pricing will not be cheaper vs getting a Spyder5 at regular price. Unless I just try and find a used Spyder4 online.

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,220 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 01, 2018 02:08 |  #9

Whatever monitor you get will need calibration, even high end (very expensive) ones. So just buying a new monitor won’t make your colors correct, unfortunately.

Once calibrated, your image should match your prints, assuming you use the correct printer profile for the paper/ink combo you’re using. It should also match what would be displayed on the calibrated monitors of others. You can’t control how it looks on uncalibrated displays like phones, tablets, or the average person’s uncalibrated computer.

GEAR LIST

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 01, 2018 17:30 |  #10

Thanks. Will try to catch it again when it's on sale.

ozziepuppy
Goldmember
3,286 posts
Gallery: 203 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 03, 2018 15:55 |  #11

firme wrote in post #18761563 (external link)
Yes I did see the Spyder5 Pro was $50 off but waited too long and now it is back to regular price.

Would getting a "better" monitor be fine to do, although I know pricing will not be cheaper vs getting a Spyder5 at regular price. Unless I just try and find a used Spyder4 online.

Bah! :-( I've had it on my Wishlist but was out of town and didn't have my laptop (and actually forgot about ordering it). Now that I have a multi-generation family photo (from Thanksgiving in another state) from which I want to make prints for Christmas presents, they are of course printing out all wonky.

Guess I order it at full price. Bummer.

Marci
Constructive criticism always appreciated.
Gear
Pre-2018 Feedback :)

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 03, 2018 15:59 |  #12

Hopefully the sale will return again. Would be nice.

ozziepuppy
Goldmember
3,286 posts
Gallery: 203 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 03, 2018 16:45 as a reply to  @ firme's post |  #13

I agree. However, family members are wanting prints. I went ahead and bit the bullet and ordered it from B&H at full price (hate that!). However, even though it is "next day shipping," it won't get here before Friday. I just get behinder and behinder. . .:-(

I just had a thought, though. Since I had to order the Spyder at full price, perhaps I need to order a lens that is on sale in order to make up for it!
Makes sense, right?
(That's my story and I'm sticking to it!)

Marci
Constructive criticism always appreciated.
Gear
Pre-2018 Feedback :)

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 03, 2018 22:15 |  #14

I also have to work on prints but this won't be my first time working without a calibrated monitor. Will just have to manage without it.

steveglass
34 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2018

Dec 04, 2018 08:14 |  #15

There a few components to consider:
capture
raw conversion
monitor

How the rest of the world sees your images you have no control over.
I use the Xrite system with the Color Munki as the monitor calibration. I'm using an Eizo screen that's designed to be calibrated.
But I start the process by shooting a color target at the beginning of a shoot once I've settled on the lighting.
Then I bring that into Lightroom and created a custom profile for that using the capture of the color target. This is overkill but it seems to help in some situations. e.g. I'm creating a calibration for the sensor in every lighting set up in addition to white balance.
I'm calibrating my monitor using the Color Munki.

Not that color has to be always literal. But accuracy is a great place to start.

http://www.steveglassp​hotographer.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

2,880 views & 6 likes for this thread
Finally wanting to calibrate monitor
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.