Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 28 Nov 2018 (Wednesday) 08:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

External Flash reccomendtions

sffire
149 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 28, 2018 08:05 |  #1

I have a Sigma EF610DG ST flash unit to work with my Canon 7D and Rebel T6. This flash does not have a multi fire capacity. I am looking for an inexpensive replacement that has a multi fire capacity flash unit for the few times out of the year that I need this function. Any recommendations? Thank you.

sponsored links
sffire
THREAD ­ STARTER
149 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 28, 2018 14:33 |  #2

the recycle time seems to take too long on this Sigma

ra40
938 posts
Gallery: 384 photos
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited over 1 year ago by ra40.

Nov 28, 2018 16:44 |  #3

Are you referring to multi-burst for action sequence type shots? The Canon 580 EX-I-II are ~$150-$180, The 600RT with some hunting can turn up for $200'ish. I'm not familiar with the Yongnuo line though those may be a consideration and are affordable.

As far as recycle time, subject to distance, power ratio and batteries used. Lithium will be faster than alks or NiMH. That depends on output power largely. Dial up the ISO and shorten the distance to subject so that it isn't dumping above 1/4 power.

inkista
653 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 28, 2018 16:59 |  #4

Godox TT685-C (external link) (US$110) or V860II-C (external link) ($180)? Judge recycle times here (external link).

The V860II-C uses a li-on pack that has the capacity of roughly three sets of 4xAAs. It also slightly speeds up (0.25) the recycle time. But it has no external battery pack port, if you wanted to use a PB960 or something to really push the recycle time. Obviously, at lower power levels, the flashes will recycle more quickly.

If you don't need TTL for on-camera use, you could also go with the single-pin manual flashes, the TT600 or V850II. They're less expensive, but cannot be firmware updated.

All four models have MULTI mode, and do HSS and remote power control as radio slaves. All four models have built-in radio transceivers so they can be used as either slave/master in the Godox 2.4GHz radio triggering system, but only the TTL models can be TTL/HSS radio masters and only the TTL models can be "smart" optical master/slave in Canon's wireless system. All four models also have S1/S2 "dumb" optical slave modes, if you don't have an optical master in the pop-up flash (i.e., using the T6's pop-up). GN is spec'd at 60m @iso 100, 200mm zoom. 360º swivel (vs your Sigma's 270º). M power ratio range is 1-128 in 1/3EV increments (vs. the Sigma's 1-1/16). They also have recycle beep capability to indicate when the flash is ready to fire again.

They don't have great customer support (unless you purchase from Adorama or B&H), but the are part of an integrated lighting system (external link) so expansion options are terrific if you go past just using a speedlight on-camera.

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

sffire
THREAD ­ STARTER
149 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 28, 2018 18:04 as a reply to  @ inkista's post |  #5

the Godox TT685-C sounds tempting. I guess it performs well? and can be switched from TTL to manual? Where is it sold for $110? I could sell my Sigma EF610DG ST. I believe I paid more than $110 for the Sigma.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,182 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Nov 28, 2018 18:41 |  #6

sffire wrote in post #18760555 (external link)
the Godox TT685-C sounds tempting. I guess it performs well? and can be switched from TTL to manual? Where is it sold for $110? I could sell my Sigma EF610DG ST. I believe I paid more than $110 for the Sigma.

The TT685 is quite similar to the 580EXII that I had.

https://www.adorama.co​m/fplfsmzca.html (external link)

You get the added bonus of having it be a wireless RF controller (and receiver) to any other Godox R1/R2 product, like other flashes (TT350, for example), or the strobes, like the AD200, AD360 with a usb dongle, 400, 600, etc.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,230 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 28, 2018 19:39 |  #7

sffire wrote in post #18760555 (external link)

Adorama just had them on a Black Friday sale for $89, but it looks like it’s back up to $110 now. There, it’s the “Flashpoint Zoom TTL R2 Flash” but of you search for TT685 it’ll still come up. If you prefer the Godox brand then B&H has the TT685 for the same price. I personally buy the Flashpoint line since I can just call up Adorama if I have a problem. I’ve heard less than good things about Godox c/s.

GEAR LIST

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,892 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by Wilt.

Nov 28, 2018 19:46 |  #8

sffire wrote in post #18760403 (external link)
the recycle time seems to take too long on this Sigma

Sigma user manual claims, "Approx 7 seconds (when using alkaline batteries) Approx. 5 seconds (when using NiCd, Ni-MH batteries)"
Canon 600EX user manual claims 5.5 sec. using alkaline batteries

...for recycle from Full power light output

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sffire
THREAD ­ STARTER
149 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 02, 2018 16:18 |  #9

How abut these Neewer flashes.? I see Amazon has two NW670 for $125? or two 565 for $116

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,182 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Dec 02, 2018 18:17 |  #10

I would stay with a brand that has an entire ecosystem where lights and strobes all work together, personally.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

ra40
938 posts
Gallery: 384 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 02, 2018 21:38 |  #11

This Orilt was suggested to me, may be of interest:
https://www.adorama.co​m/orlfsmrt600c.html (external link)

Specs state less than 3's and you'll be able to keep within the Canon RT system if you decide later to go with Canon units. At $79 now, this is tempting.

sffire
THREAD ­ STARTER
149 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 03, 2018 08:05 as a reply to  @ ra40's post |  #12

How is the recycle time

soeren
Whoops Im not updated
696 posts
Joined Nov 2017

Dec 03, 2018 08:39 |  #13

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18763102 (external link)
I would stay with a brand that has an entire ecosystem where lights and strobes all work together, personally.

I.e. Godox

If history has proven anything. it's that evolution always wins!!

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,892 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 03, 2018 20:15 |  #14

sffire wrote in post #18763432 (external link)
How is the recycle time

Keep in mind that AA battery packs can be connected to some flash units, like Canon 580EX, to reduce full power recycle times to 2 sec.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

soeren
Whoops Im not updated
696 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Post edited over 1 year ago by soeren. (2 edits in all)

Dec 04, 2018 00:08 |  #15

Wilt wrote in post #18763847 (external link)
Keep in mind that AA battery packs can be connected to some flash units, like Canon 580EX, to reduce full power recycle times to 2 sec.

And on TT685 you can connect the big Li ion pack from the AD360 line. But battery packs are not really a good solution. Rather go straight to the Lithium Ion unit's like W860II and avoid the bulk, weight and hassle of pack and cord. The AD200 is another great option for off camera flash if you don't need it in the hotshoe. Much more power than a regular speedlight too.

If history has proven anything. it's that evolution always wins!!

sponsored links

5,113 views & 13 likes for this thread
External Flash reccomendtions
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.