Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Nov 2018 (Thursday) 00:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS R Sensor Hotspot?

slr_noob
536 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 22, 2018 00:34 |  #1

I just received my EOS R to replace my aging, yet still handy EOS M. While waiting for the EF-EOS R adapter to arrive, I decide to fire it up to at least setup a few small things and ended up with an unusual discovery.

I noticed there were a couple hotspots with the body cap still on. Doesn't matter if I look at the screen or EVF. Has anybody experienced this?

Canon 7D
-580EX II
-24-105 f/4L IS USM (Now fixed!)

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,180 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Nov 24, 2018 07:35 |  #2

Put it in manual sensor clean mode for about a minute with no lens attached and just body cap on, then power cycle it and see if they go away.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,279 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 24, 2018 08:44 |  #3

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18757426 (external link)
Put it in manual sensor clean mode for about a minute with no lens attached and just body cap on, then power cycle it and see if they go away.

I wonder if this trick still works. :) To the OP, you need to define hot spot a bit more. I think T-Speed and myself are thinking hot pixels (random pixels turned on full blast), but a hot spot can be a much larger area with fuzzy edges. Individual pixels are normal and most post processing sfw takes care of that. A failing shutter can create a hot spot though usually it looks more like an arc.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

slr_noob
THREAD ­ STARTER
536 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 25, 2018 01:29 |  #4

gjl711 wrote in post #18757451 (external link)
I wonder if this trick still works. :) To the OP, you need to define hot spot a bit more. I think T-Speed and myself are thinking hot pixels (random pixels turned on full blast), but a hot spot can be a much larger area with fuzzy edges. Individual pixels are normal and most post processing sfw takes care of that. A failing shutter can create a hot spot though usually it looks more like an arc.

I finally got the adapter, so I'll play with the camera if the hotspot shows up while on a photo and report back. The hotspot I noticed was only looking at the display, the same thing happens when looking at the EVF too

Canon 7D
-580EX II

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,180 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Nov 25, 2018 05:37 |  #5

gjl711 wrote in post #18757451 (external link)

Yes it still works (for individual pixels) . In fact if the lcd in the viewfinder develops spots, ie not on the sensor, the same process maps them out. We had a big thread on this on FM, and a canon tech put this info forth. We didnt believe it but after a few testimonies on FM and Dpreview, it seems to be valid.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

slr_noob
THREAD ­ STARTER
536 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 29, 2018 00:12 |  #6

Well, I tried the camera a little bit and didn't seem to notice anything odd. I also made a quick call to Canon tech support to see what is their opinion of my observation. They say it's not a huge deal as the hardware "trying to find light that makes sense" when the body cap is on and pitch black unless I have a dead pixel when I take a picture. It's safe to say problem solved now.

Canon 7D
-580EX II

sponsored links

1,399 views & 0 likes for this thread
EOS R Sensor Hotspot?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.