Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 28 Nov 2018 (Wednesday) 12:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D MK IV vs 6D MK II ... Hear me out...

mathogre
Goldmember
3,527 posts
Gallery: 103 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 28, 2018 20:38 |  #16

drmaxx wrote in post #18760383 (external link)
Go and rent them for the weekend and decide based on your personal preference. Obviously there is a difference, otherwise people would not spend the money to get the 5D. However, whether this difference is worth the money to YOU can only be decided by you.

Lol! This thought came to mind, but forgot to include it. You can rent a camera for a few days for not a lot of money. I did that with an infrared 7D a year ago to see if it was worth converting one of my older cameras to IR. Working with the IR 7D was great fun, but I decided that infrared isn't where I want to be. I saved myself a lot of money on a camera conversion and still have a camera I can use as built.

Yes, rent both. Download the user manuals for each of them so you have a better chance of using them well while you have them. Shoot with them the way you want to shoot. Does the 6DMkII do what you need, or is it wanting? Is the 5DMkIV exactly what you need, or is it the proverbial "overkill"?

Good luck!

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collection (external link)

sponsored links
davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 2 months ago by davesrose.

Nov 28, 2018 21:12 |  #17

I've always been a 5D user (I've gifted family with wedding photos, have done portraits for work, but mainly am a serious amateur). I bought the original one back when it was the only "prosumer" FF DSLR. I've continued to prefer its interface, robust body, custom buttons, and with the case of 5D3/5D4 advanced AF system. The 5D4 is the current top dog for sensor performance with manageable MP (I did manage with the 5D3 DR, and just find the improved DR with 5D4 a welcome latitude). But these are reasons why I keep with the 5D series. The 6D2 does have welcome upgrades from the original 6D. It may not have the AF spread of the 5D4, but it does have a better AF system then the 6D. It also has touch screen. And if you're into video blogging, it has a feature the 5D4 doesn't have: flippy screen. If you're coming from a Rebel or xxD, then you'll find its interface more seamless.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,720 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 28, 2018 22:34 |  #18

davesrose wrote in post #18760650 (external link)
...The 5D4 is the current top dog for sensor performance with manageable MP (I did manage with the 5D3 DR, and just find the improved DR with 5D4 a welcome latitude). ....

To be accurate, it's Canon's top dog. There are several cameras out there that have superior sensor performance.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,764 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 28, 2018 22:42 |  #19

davesrose wrote in post #18760650 (external link)
The 5D4 is the current top dog for sensor performance with manageable MP

gjl711 wrote in post #18760689 (external link)
To be accurate, it's Canon's top dog. There are several cameras out there that have superior sensor performance.

When it comes to sensor performance with manageable MP, I thought that the 1Dx2 was Canon's top dog. . In what ways (other than more MP) does the 5D4 exceed the sensor performance of the 1Dx2?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,720 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 28, 2018 23:10 |  #20

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18760698 (external link)

When it comes to sensor performance with manageable MP, I thought that the 1Dx2 was Canon's top dog. . In what ways (other than more MP) does the 5D4 exceed the sensor performance of the 1Dx2?

If you look at DxO sensor ratings, the 5DIV bests or matches the 1D across all their measurements with the exception of DR once the ISO gets above 800. It's awful close and clearly the DxO rating do not take into account the whole camera package but right now, Canons best showing is the 5DIV at #20.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

davesrose
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 2 months ago by davesrose. (3 edits in all)

Nov 29, 2018 06:33 |  #21

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18760698 (external link)

Higher MP and DR. The 1DX2 isn’t a slouch, but it’s advantage is with features: it has lower MP to have a much faster burst rate.

RE 5d4 being Canon’s top sensor: well yeah..the discussion was about Canon. Even so, Canon also made a substantial leap with DR from the 5D3 (and ISO 100 DR is almost equivalent with Nikon D850).

http://www.photonstoph​otos.net/Charts/PDR.ht​m (external link)

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,565 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 29, 2018 06:53 |  #22

davesrose wrote in post #18760819 (external link)
Higher MP and DR. The 1DX2 isn’t a slouch, but it’s advantage is with features: it has lower MP to have a much faster burst rate.

RE 5d4 being Canon’s top sensor: well yeah..the discussion was about Canon. Even so, Canon also made a substantial leap with DR from the 5D3 (and ISO 100 DR is almost equivalent with Nikon D850).

http://dhttp …photos.net/Char​ts/PDR.htm (external link)

Again, PDR is not a measurement of noise in a standard ISO exposure.

I know lots of people love to hate DxO and ignore it, but DxO does measure the actual exposure-referred noise, and it shows about ~0.37 stops less read noise for the 1DxII compared to the 5D4 at high ISOs (the trend lines in the DR chart. The vertical height of the data points is the DR, the height of the trend lines is the footroom, and the horizontal shift from nominal to measured ISO is the headroom. PDR does not break this down, and many people mistakenly assume that cameras with more headroom have better high-ISO noise performance than they do.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,269 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Joined May 2002
Post edited 2 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Nov 29, 2018 06:57 |  #23

We rearely discuss DR at high ISOs... Almost always when we discuss DR on the boards, it is at the lower ISO levels.

So the 5D4 having the higher resolution, just like our other discussions in the other thread about the rumored 75Mpx, would do nothing but improve its DR over the 1DX2, correct? We cannot discount pixel density in this topic. Take a 5D4 at any ISO, resize it down to the 1DX2 resolution, and what happens?

The 5D4 strength is its resolution, the 1DX2 its burst rate and AF speed.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

davesrose
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 2 months ago by davesrose.

Nov 29, 2018 07:39 as a reply to  @ John Sheehy's post |  #24

My post said nothing about high ISO. Even so, 1/3 stop less noise at high ISO is splitting hairs when PP is more of a factor (how you handle DNR). My post clearly was referring to Canon's base ISO DR (in which the 5D4 is the newer camera and is also a significant improvement in base DR from the 5D3).

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18760828 (external link)
The 5D4 strength is its resolution, the 1DX2 its burst rate and AF speed.

I concur. I wasn't stating the 1DX2 is an inferior camera: with stills it is geared towards sports that needs extra speed features, while the 5D series has been marketed for portrait and wedding professionals (who might want the higher resolution). Also now with video, the 1DX2 has more professional features. Anyway, this is going off topic from 6D2 vs 5D4.

Canon 5D mk IV
smugmug (external link)

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,565 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 29, 2018 08:08 |  #25

I, John Sheehy wrote in post #18760845 (external link)
Sorry; your link didn't work, and by the time I worked it out, I must have confused your post with other current posts about the same cameras.

That said, I do not trust DxO's data point for the 1Dx2's DR at ISO 100. It falls out of the curve, and must be due to a calculation error, IMO; it should be lower. I tend to read DxO graphs based on the majority of data points, ignoring outliers away from a simple curve. Perhaps there are rounding errors.

Wow, I was still confused there. Now I know what happened. I saw the high-ISO PDR trends merge after I clicked on the cameras after going to the PDR page manually, and I thought about how deceptive that could be, and addressed that instead of what you were talking about. I only saw the DxO stuff because I opened that up, too.

davesrose
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 29, 2018 08:44 as a reply to  @ John Sheehy's post |  #26

Sorry, I corrected the link (your old quote does show the mishap with my original pasted link). One of the problems with using an iPhone: it didn't accept pasting in the url until I wrote a character (and then later I saw I needed to delete the "d").

Canon 5D mk IV
smugmug (external link)

Chino3
THREAD ­ STARTER
115 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 30, 2018 16:05 |  #27

Update: Ended up going with the 6DII. Worked out an awesome deal, so I feel like it was the best bet, especially around the holidays!

gossamer88
"something else"
1,034 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Aug 2014

Nov 30, 2018 16:46 as a reply to  @ Chino3's post |  #28

Congrats and welcome to the world of Full Frame!

Canon 5D Mark IV | Tamron 24-70mm G2 | Tamron 70-200mm G2 | 85mm 1.8 | 50mm STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Powershot G9 X | iPhone 7
flickr (external link)

mathogre
Goldmember
3,527 posts
Gallery: 103 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 30, 2018 17:42 |  #29

Chino3 wrote in post #18761791 (external link)
Update: Ended up going with the 6DII. Worked out an awesome deal, so I feel like it was the best bet, especially around the holidays!

Congratulations, and have a great time with it!!!!

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collection (external link)

jeraldjcook
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 30, 2018 23:06 |  #30

Congrats on the 6D MkII. There have been some crazy deals on them the past week or two.

sponsored links

1,107 views & 9 likes for this thread
5D MK IV vs 6D MK II ... Hear me out...
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.