Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 08 Nov 2018 (Thursday) 10:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

No new releases for EF lens for 2019- per Canon

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,831 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by mdvaden. (2 edits in all)

Nov 12, 2018 10:27 |  #166

Nick5 wrote in post #18749533 (external link)
The Canon R market is like bottling wine today. It needs a bit of time...........
Where's that bottle of Ripple?.......

Yes and no ...

Maybe the R "market" ... but the R camera and lenses are like the good new wine that can win a blind wine tasting against some older aged wines. I just shot the RF 50mm 1.2 and it has about as good or better bokeh than the Canon 135mm 2.0 or Zeiss Milvus 85mm I've also enjoyed.

I'm already saving for a next model R body, and possibly another RF lens.

I'm curious whether an RF 70-200mm will be seen in the near future, but a new one may be surprisingly expensive, plus existing ones work quite stellar as-is already.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

sponsored links
ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
22,994 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Nov 12, 2018 16:16 as a reply to  @ post 18749528 |  #167

yeah that 24-105 R is very interesting. if distortion is at least somewhat corrected at 24mm i'm going to own that lens. i'm thinking real hard about taking the EOS R to Galapagos next year with possibly that lens, along with my 5d4 + 100-400L II :-)

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff, sirui

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,463 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 13, 2018 08:24 |  #168

EXACTLY at 17:24 in the video

" There will be no EF lens for next year"

Dont know how much more clear he can state that

For those that want to continue to argue the point....Oh well

The general consensus that most working pros have about this interview and its been posted by other top guy in the know at a private group for wedding photographers and national instructors that I am a part of

This is a recap of an Photokina 2018 interview with Canon’s Mike Burnhill from Canon Europe about the new Canon EOS R mirrorless camera.
https://youtu.be/Q99yw​qiXv7c (external link)

1. Who is this camera for? Enthusiasts, non-professional, early adopter, hobbyists.

2. What’s important to them? Video is 20%, maybe only 10% were interested in 4K, whether interest in an extra card slot. What was more important was autofocus, usability, compatibility. Give and take between price and features. Feature-wise it’s more like a 6D Mark II, with some of the 5DM4 features brought down into it.

3. Main objectives with this mount: DSLR is a compromised design due to the mirror. Getting rid of this compromise allows them to open up other design features to improve the lenses.

4. Technically the camera has 30 million AF points, but this is impractical for real-world use because the real limitation is due to the screen size for touch-AF. So there are 5,655 AF points selectable width the onscreen viewfinder for drag & touch focusing.

5. Dual pixel AF is influenced by the imaging sensor inherited from the 5DM4. They have improved the data-out path for super fast AF.

6. The decision to close the shutter while turning off the camera is not bullet proof, but it will offer a layer of protection and security for the sensor.

7. There is a 20mm flange distance rather than going even shorter like Nikon. The lens is further forward, for bigger lenses, and more rigidity. Also, the wide throat provides optical benefits not possible with the EF mount.

8. Why no 4K readout across the full frame of the sensor? Heat? Something else? Actually speed of processing, speed of readout. But Canon needed to produce a camera at the right price point and in the time frame that they wanted to launch. They understand some want higher end features. But for the time frame not all the technologies were in place and weren’t ready. So they’re looking at other features. They couldn’t tick every box, because by the time they try to add certain features, there are others down the road that they also need to look at. There needed to be a business decision to launch. The original meetings decided video was only a small chunk, and 4K was even smaller chunk. So they have plans down the road, but not for this model.

9. Memory cards. Why not two? The user group they targeted use only one card. Even those who buy cameras with two slots tend to use only one. Canon had the first camera with dual slots. This was the 1D Mark II. They understand for professionals how important it is for reliability and backup. But the decision looked at whether their customer actually needs this. It adds extra to the price. When they launch a product aimed at semi pros and pros, it will likely have two slots. (Personal note: Camera manufacturers and engineers actually WANT to move photographers toward a single slot. They feel the reliability with modern technology is up to the challenge, and it would lower cost and space requirements, as well as LOWER risks for the entire system. There are good reasons for pro photographers to strongly reconsider their position on this, but that's another conversation entirely because the rabbit hole is quite deep.)

10. Shooting speed has only 5fps and 3fps. Rather low. It comes to down to reading data off the sensor. Extra processor, extra speed, and more expensive.

11. Why no IBIS? They feel optical stabilization is superior. So IBIS will only work but so well with certain lenses. Every manufacturer needs a dual IS system. When video becomes more of a focus they will also include IBIS.

12. No roadmap published for lenses. Why? They didn’t want to over-promise and deliver nothing. Next year they will introduce a trilogy: 70-200, a 24-70, a16-35, what professionals need. Next year the focus will be on R lenses. There will be no EF lenses next year, so production needs to move from EF to RF in order to catch up in production. They want to prioritize concentrating on their mirrorless lenses for the time being.

13. EF to R adapter. They will sell two options: One with a circular polarizer and another with a variable ND.

14. Why doesn’t Eye AF work in all AF modes? It works in the modes where they think it makes sense.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,937 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 13, 2018 09:25 |  #169

davesrose wrote in post #18747703 (external link)
The only FDn lens made after the introduction of the EOS was a rare 200mm f/1.8.

One more FD mount camera too. The T60 was released in 1990.

Anders

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,411 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Nov 13, 2018 09:26 |  #170

Good article about current state of DSLR vs FF. Can't wait to see what Canon does with bodies they actually have more time to add necessary feature/function and test it all out.

https://petapixel.com …rs-still-the-best-choice/ (external link)

Canon needs to make something to compete with the XT3, that looks like an outstanding camera.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

phphoto
23 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Post edited 3 months ago by phphoto.

Nov 13, 2018 10:06 as a reply to  @ umphotography's post |  #171

"14. Why doesn’t Eye AF work in all AF modes? It works in the modes where they think it makes sense."

I think eye af would make more sense in servo mode than in one shot mode... They just couldn't do it, or they want customers pay more from it. :evil:

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,256 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 13, 2018 11:02 |  #172

phphoto wrote in post #18750241 (external link)
"14. Why doesn’t Eye AF work in all AF modes? It works in the modes where they think it makes sense."

I think eye af would make more sense in servo mode than in one shot mode... They just couldn't do it, or they want customers pay more from it. :evil:

Wait just a stinkin' minute!

It's almost like you're suggesting Canon's marketing department decides what marketing message to put out there as a way to strattle the line between full truth and outright deceit? That might influence consumer buying decisions!?! Like maybe not telling the full truth benefits their bottom line or something?

Would a publicly owned company really take those steps?

I'm shocked!

Shocked I tell you.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,816 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 2 months ago by Tom Reichner.

Nov 29, 2018 17:09 |  #173

ed rader wrote in post #18748780 (external link)
I don't see it as switching as much as I do upgrading, and I would advise anyone who owns EF glass that they may wake up one morning and find the new Canon bodies no longer support EF protocol.

That wouldn't be any problem for me. . I usually upgrade a body once every 3 to 6 years, and when I do upgrade, I usually buy a body that has already been discontinued. . I got a 1D2 in 2007, a 50D in 2010, a 1D4 in 2013 ... and will probably move up to a 5D4 in 2020.

Hence, I couldn't care less if Canon's new bodies work with the old EF lenses or not, because I will never be in the market for a new body. . I will always buy old discontinued bodies on eBay or the FM classifieds or Craigslist. . And yeah, I use my gear for business purposes, too, just like some of y'all.

There is just no actual need to have current gear ...... whether for business purposes or hobby purposes, we're still just making images. . We don't need to be efficient, and we don't need to have access to manufacturer service. . Sure these things can help us make more money, but we don't actually need to make more money ..... some of us are okay struggling along as we've always done. . Making more money and running a business efficiently is not an absolute need, it's just preferred. . I think we all should take time to think about what is an absolute life-or-death need, and what is just something that enables a preferred lifestyle. . Some folks here in this thread seem to confuse the two.

Mike -
What camera you use doesn't really affect your business, even though you seem to think it does. . You're just taking pictures for people who want them. . It really isn't that big of a deal whether your gear is current or super-efficient or whatever. . You're still just taking photos for people who want to remember their life's events. . None of this is really important to you, even though in your head you see it as all-important, and take it all very seriously. . No one should take things so seriously, not even their livelihood is all that serious. . It's just what you do to put a few bucks in your pocket and support the family or whatever. . If it doesn't work out, then you can just up and do something different to put the bucks in your pocket. . Not really a biggie. . Nothing in life is all that important, really. . Most of us could easily survive on 1/3 the income we currently make. . I've been homeless for a few years; no big deal ... stayed in a friend's basement for a while, stayed in another friend's loft for a couple of years ..... no biggie; wasn't some big problem or anything like that .... I still got to do a lot of stuff that I liked doing and had a pretty fun few years. . You don't have to make good money with your photography business - if it fails then you will still be alive, and yes, that is good enough.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Tapeman
Sliced Bread
3,721 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Nov 29, 2018 18:12 |  #174

I have been happy with my current gear. If I were to upgrade it would not be to Canon's latest and greatest. As I get older, and the cameras get better on phones, I doubt that I would not consider a smaller package as I travel quite a bit. In the past I have skipped a generation, and think that if you are a great photographer your images will sell even if you are using older gear.

Last trip to San Francisco I did not even bring my 500, and hardly took any pictures. (Last week.)

Canon G1X II, 1D MKIV, 5DSR, 5DIV, 5D MKII, 16-35/2.8L II, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, IS, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS II, 500/4 L IS II, 24-105/4 IS, 50/2.5 macro, 1.4x MKII, 1.4X MKIII, 2X MKIII,580EX II, 550EXs(2), ST-E2.
Gitzo 1228, 1275, 1558, Lensbaby 3G. Epson 3880, Bags that match my shoes.:)

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,463 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited 2 months ago by umphotography.

Nov 30, 2018 08:33 |  #175

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18761184 (external link)
That wouldn't be any problem for me. . I usually upgrade a body once every 3 to 6 years, and when I do upgrade, I usually buy a body that has already been discontinued. . I got a 1D2 in 2007, a 50D in 2010, a 1D4 in 2013 ... and will probably move up to a 5D4 in 2020.

Hence, I couldn't care less if Canon's new bodies work with the old EF lenses or not, because I will never be in the market for a new body. . I will always buy old discontinued bodies on eBay or the FM classifieds or Craigslist. . And yeah, I use my gear for business purposes, too, just like some of y'all.

There is just no actual need to have current gear ...... whether for business purposes or hobby purposes, we're still just making images. . We don't need to be efficient, and we don't need to have access to manufacturer service. . Sure these things can help us make more money, but we don't actually need to make more money ..... some of us are okay struggling along as we've always done. . Making more money and running a business efficiently is not an absolute need, it's just preferred. . I think we all should take time to think about what is an absolute life-or-death need, and what is just something that enables a preferred lifestyle. . Some folks here in this thread seem to confuse the two.

Mike -
What camera you use doesn't really affect your business, even though you seem to think it does. . You're just taking pictures for people who want them. . It really isn't that big of a deal whether your gear is current or super-efficient or whatever. . You're still just taking photos for people who want to remember their life's events. . None of this is really important to you, even though in your head you see it as all-important, and take it all very seriously. . No one should take things so seriously, not even their livelihood is all that serious. . It's just what you do to put a few bucks in your pocket and support the family or whatever. . If it doesn't work out, then you can just up and do something different to put the bucks in your pocket. . Not really a biggie. . Nothing in life is all that important, really. . Most of us could easily survive on 1/3 the income we currently make. . I've been homeless for a few years; no big deal ... stayed in a friend's basement for a while, stayed in another friend's loft for a couple of years ..... no biggie; wasn't some big problem or anything like that .... I still got to do a lot of stuff that I liked doing and had a pretty fun few years. . You don't have to make good money with your photography business - if it fails then you will still be alive, and yes, that is good enough.

Im being very serious

This is the biggest load of Horseshiat i have ever read at POTN.

I am Really glad you dont shoot weddings and concentrate on wildlife for your hobby. Being a wedding photographer is one of the most important jobs a photographer can have in this business. Documenting one of the most important days in a persons life is a serious responsibility and it requires serious people that love to do the job

What body and equipment I use absolutly 1000% matters.

You are so far out if left field with that comment that its not even funny. Its offensive to the thousands that do this for a living.... Who the heck are you to determine whats important to people that hire me or whats in in my heart and how I determine whats important to our business model. What a stupid ignorant thing to say

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,816 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 2 months ago by Tom Reichner.

Nov 30, 2018 13:52 as a reply to  @ umphotography's post |  #176

Nothing in all the world is all so terribly important as you make it seem. . People take so many things so so very seriously, when nothing at all is really worth taking that seriously. . Nothing is worth being so intense about. . We live. . We die. . In a flash it is all over. . Whatever we do or strive for is so short-lived in the overall scheme of the eternal universe that it really isn't that important at all.

Whether my lenses work with the cameras that Canon releases in two or three years - is this really crucial to our existence? . To the perpetuation of the universe? . Heck no.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,411 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 2 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Nov 30, 2018 14:32 |  #177

I can guarantee that I can still make money with a 5D4 10 years from now with EF glass. The gear doesn't define the photographer, but the other way around.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 30, 2018 14:51 |  #178

umphotography wrote in post #18761544 (external link)
Im being very serious

This is the biggest load of Horseshiat i have ever read at POTN.

I am Really glad you dont shoot weddings and concentrate on wildlife for your hobby. Being a wedding photographer is one of the most important jobs a photographer can have in this business. Documenting one of the most important days in a persons life is a serious responsibility and it requires serious people that love to do the job

What body and equipment I use absolutly 1000% matters.

You are so far out if left field with that comment that its not even funny. Its offensive to the thousands that do this for a living.... Who the heck are you to determine whats important to people that hire me or whats in in my heart and how I determine whats important to our business model. What a stupid ignorant thing to say

This post is terribly condescending. So only wedding photographers are serious professionals? Even for family events, there are many religious functions that clients hold dear and are not weddings. Glamour, sports, wildlife, architectural, landscape, photojournalism, etc are not serious photos? Most of the lay public only know of some artistic, landscape, and photojournalist photos (IE Weston, Adams, or war photos). I also don't know any client that judges picture quality by the frequency of camera bodies a photographer chooses to buy. A photographer can see if their current camera is limiting them, and if it isn't, they may choose to write off another item (such as lenses or computer). I have a background in 3D animation. Film studios don't just upgrade software every year...they do it after they're done with current projects and are willing to see if they need any updates with plugins, custom coding, or bug fixes.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,463 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited 2 months ago by umphotography.

Nov 30, 2018 15:09 |  #179

davesrose wrote in post #18761723 (external link)
This post is terribly condescending. So only wedding photographers are serious professionals? Even for family events, there are many religious functions that clients hold dear and are not weddings. Glamour, sports, wildlife, architectural, landscape, photojournalism, etc are not serious photos? Most of the lay public only know of some artistic, landscape, and photojournalist photos (IE Weston, Adams, or war photos). I also don't know any client that judges picture quality by the frequency of camera bodies a photographer chooses to buy. A photographer can see if their current camera is limiting them, and if it isn't, they may choose to write off another item (such as lenses or computer). I have a background in 3D animation. Film studios don't just upgrade software every year...they do it after they're done with current projects and are willing to see if they need any updates with plugins, custom coding, or bug fixes.

I said wedding photography because that is what I primarily do. Yes you are correct. I also do families, religious events, Boudoir, newborns, maternity, and a few other things that revolve around our business model...anything around the family and family functions are extremely important in my opinion as are the opinions of the people that hire us. Was not meant to be condescending.

No client cares what I choose to shoot with. But I choose to shoot with the bodies I use because they work great. I live at 6400-12800 ISO at weddings. So the body I choose to use is a very important decision for me

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,411 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 2 months ago by TeamSpeed. (3 edits in all)

Nov 30, 2018 15:10 as a reply to  @ davesrose's post |  #180

There is a big difference in attitude and post content of someone that is business minded (owns or helps manage financials of a business) vs one that is in the trenches and produces things of use for a company. The attitude of needing the latest and greatest to get a leg up on competition is usually one of the latter, not the former.

I wear several hats from management to business owner to being one in the trenches, so I have to battle this duality, and usually the business minded side of me wins, fortunately. :)

sponsored links

11,066 views & 131 likes for this thread
No new releases for EF lens for 2019- per Canon
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.