Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 08 Nov 2018 (Thursday) 10:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

No new releases for EF lens for 2019- per Canon

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 2 months ago by davesrose.

Nov 30, 2018 15:29 as a reply to  @ post 18761737 |  #181

Being involved with medical communications, I've worn many hats myself. From being self employed, freelancing on the side, being employed at medical institutions....using my own equipment and software. Most in my industries know that one's own knowledge and experience is the most important aspect. I currently am utilizing my photography knowledge at work for staff portraits: and all employees do appreciate having professional photos taken vs the previous standard of having a point and shoot taken with straight flash against a blank wall. When I've been self employed, I've evaluated what equipment I needed and could write off, and also took deductions for going to conferences. I haven't bought a new workstation every year. As another analogy with 3D software workflow: the software can also have pretty drastic interface or software changes with new versions: so one would have to find enough time to transition. In the case of Maya 2016 to 2017: Autodesk also made a drastic move in dumping the previously included renderer (Mental Ray) to another renderer (Arnold). Many organizations who had scenes with Mental Ray shaders then had to either go and buy Mental Ray separately or completely redesign shaders to Arnold.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

sponsored links
Lester ­ Wareham
27,403 posts
Gallery: 2809 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 01, 2018 02:44 |  #182

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18748652 (external link)
You are close to my prediction about timeline, but definitely taken into consideration that POTN members in this thread (or total canon ownership at POTN) is single digit percentages of the overall global Canon market. So it matters little what we think here, Canon has to win the world over. That is likely to take longer than 3 years. I put that at about the 5 year mark where Canon will have made enough of a dent to start backing off completely from DSLR and EF/EFS lenses. So I would be surprised if Canon stops all DSLR and EF/EFS production in 3 years, I feel it is closer to 5 years. At that point, Canon will start to force ownership in that direction.

Canon have form on this, I remember taking a break from photo kit purchasing only to find the switch from FD to EF had gone on whilst i was not paying attention.

I was fairly pissed with Canon but ended up not going to Nikon largely because of ergonomics and confussion about what Nikon lens was compatible with what body.

But backing up, the migration from EF to RF is different from FD to EF. FD lenses could not easily be used on EF bodies and EF lenses were totally unusable on FD bodies. This ment a hard switch.

If I understand it correctly the new RF system has a high quality adaptor for EF lenses. So this softens the need for a hard switch situation for users, but as noted eventually the legacy users will be a smaller and smaller part of population.

So is the view that the mirror less body can do everything a SLR one can?

Is the eye level finder clear, bright and of low enough latency that they are good as optical?

I am interested to know, I have not played with the new mirror less bodies so I don’t know.

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

Spencerphoto
335 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Sep 2018
Post edited 2 months ago by Spencerphoto.

Dec 01, 2018 03:07 |  #183

Unless new gear somehow makes the images from my current gear look worse, I'm not interested. I love the images I'm getting out of my current gear and the only thing preventing me from improving is me - not my camera bodies, and not my lenses. heck, I look at some stuff made fifty years ago and wish I could do that today ...

I was absolutely thrilled with my 5D3 when I first bought it and loved the images I was making. The appearance of new equipment doesn't change that for me. I still love what I can do with what I have.

The only time I care about this tech versus that, or this body versus another, is when I HAVE to buy new equipment, usually because my old gear died and not because the new stuff has more bells and whistles. Personally, I'm hoping my current gear outlives me. I'm not prepared to invest big sums of money for results that would be indistinguishable from what I can produce with my 4-6yo gear.

5D3, 7D2, EF 16-35 f/2.8L, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF 70-200 f/2.8L II, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF 1.4x III, Sigma 150mm macro, Lumix LX100 plus a cupboard full of bags, tripods, flashes & stuff.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,357 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 2 months ago by TeamSpeed. (4 edits in all)

Dec 01, 2018 08:34 |  #184

Lester Wareham wrote in post #18762020 (external link)
If I understand it correctly the new RF system has a high quality adaptor for EF lenses. So this softens the need for a hard switch situation for users, but as noted eventually the legacy users will be a smaller and smaller part of population.

So is the view that the mirror less body can do everything a SLR one can?

Is the eye level finder clear, bright and of low enough latency that they are good as optical?

I am interested to know, I have not played with the new mirror less bodies so I don’t know.

Yes, there is an adapter to use EF (and EFS as well) glass on the FF EOS-R. As I understand it, the AF is very sure footed, and some say the EF lenses actually work a bit better than on a corresponding DSLR, but most of the assessments seem very subjective.

The EVF are getting much better, to the point I can start to use them. The abilities you get far exceed the discomfort of using an EVF. You get real-time exposure feedback, histogram, leveling info, etc. It is very nice. You also have two ways to manually focus in the viewfinder with manual lenses. The M50 EVF is just good enough that I don't have a problem using it, higher end EVF will be even better.

Canon's mirrorless cannot do what current DSLRs can do, they do not have the AF speed or burst speeds for those that routinely shoot action/sports/fast motion. That is a pretty big circle in the Venn diagram of photography. It will take something like a Canon equivalent of the A9 to really tackle that area.

It will take about 3 years to put together a full EOS-R/RF lineup that then allows most photographers to migrate. This is where the DSLR death will occur. The Rebel market where the casual family shooter is buying up cheap cameras will be the final blow to the DSLR lineup. Once the EFM line is grown, or the EOS R has a Rebel-like offering at very low prices, the end of the DSLR will be complete.

I think the last DSLR to ever be announced by Canon will be in the 4-5 year mark. The last of the EF lenses will occur about a year prior to that final offering. This is simply based on Canon's slow and methodical development cycles. However if they have finally decided they need to speed things up, that cycle may be reduced by a year.

Even if that happens that soon, the cameras like the 1DX and 5D4 and 7D2 will all still work just fine years beyond that and will be pretty plentiful. Look how often 1D4s are available still long after its demise, and how often it is suggested to members to look at for what they shoot. So we are perhaps 10 years away from ever really talking about DSLRs on the forums. As long as the 5D4 continues to deliver the goods at high ISO (like at 16K or so) for me and track action, it has a place in my bag!

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,357 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 2 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Dec 01, 2018 10:08 |  #185

Manual focus is just alot of fun with mirrorless, here are a couple of "I'm playing around with the tree lights" shots, it took about 1-2sec to manually focus exactly where I wanted, no setting an AF point, focusing and recomposing, or guessing if manual focus is where I wanted it. Doing that in the viewfinder is so easy now. There is no guessing whether the AF point did its job, whether you have to AFMA a lens, etc, and is one of the reasons I can forgive the negatives of an EVF.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,801 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 2 months ago by Tom Reichner. (3 edits in all)

Dec 01, 2018 11:14 |  #186

umphotography wrote in post #18749528 (external link)
All you guys PuPooing the new R mount capabilities and enthusiasm

Go look at the 24-105 images posted by Nardes on post #692. Nothing in canons variable zoom EF lens line up does this. This is why R mount optics will make everyone change. The file that was sent to me is on par with this image for R mount optics capabilities. If this wont change your mind, nothing else will

post#692
https://photography-on-the.net …ead.php?t=15010​70&page=47

Wildlife guys
Look at what he did with a 400L and some TC's

Post#611---Tom

Post#613

Someone in here show me anything in the current EF line up, right now, that lets you set up a rig with a 1120 FOV and capture images like that ???

I will be in the corner with the crickets waiting

Is this what you wanted to show me? (post quoted below)

nardes wrote in post #18747485 (external link)
Airbus A380 at approx. 10,000 ft with the EOS R / EF-RF Adapter / Extender x1.4 III / Extender x2.0 II / Canon EF 400mm F5.6 L USM.

Effective fl of 1120mm at F16 with no problems auto focusing.

The deleterious effects of atmospheric turbulence can be seen due to the altitude and distance of the A380.

I'm not sure if this was supposed to impress me or not. . I currently shoot at an 'effective focal length' of 1040 already, but I do so at f5.6, not f11, with my Sigmonster on my 1D4 .... and of course I do so natively with no adapter or TC or anything between the lens and the camera. . Is 1120 instead of 1040 supposed to be some big deal or something? . For me, 1040 at f5.6 is far more useful than 1120 at f11. . The extra 80mm wouldn't be of any use to me at all. . Heck, I rarely ever wish I had more focal length - most of my shots with the 300-800mm are below 800mmm anyway.

I fail to see anything "game changing", or even anything impressive, about that setup. . It looks like it would be far inferior to what I have been using. . Is there something there that I am just not seeing?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 01, 2018 11:56 |  #187
bannedBack in 16 days

I did weddings. Never had the latest cameras. Nobody ever cared. 1D3 was the newest I got and it was already a generation or two behind.

Weddings usually end in divorce. They're only seen as supremely important in the moment.

Make the bride look un-fat and she's elated. Honestly. If she's already un-fat, make her look smoking hot. Show the love between the couple. Get 'em all lovey dovey and get the groom to open up. She'll love you forever.

Nobody gives a crap about pixels.

I had a bride crawl towards her groom on a park bench and kiss him. Super conservative girl who never got that "frisky" before. She loved it.

Camera was a 10D. Lighting and color wasn't even the best but the idea was there and she absolutely adored it. And he got in the spirit for more photos because I showed him on the screen how he looked GQ.

That's the real point of photographing people. Making them look and feel good and have fun in the process.

A photo sparks the memory. Give them a good memory and the photo will do its job.

Camera body = moot. Lenses too. As long as it isn't total crap. We haven't been total crap in the digital space for like, 15 years.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Lester ­ Wareham
27,403 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 01, 2018 12:20 |  #188

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18762118 (external link)
Yes, there is an adapter to use EF (and EFS as well) glass on the FF EOS-R. As I understand it, the AF is very sure footed, and some say the EF lenses actually work a bit better than on a corresponding DSLR, but most of the assessments seem very subjective.

The EVF are getting much better, to the point I can start to use them. The abilities you get far exceed the discomfort of using an EVF. You get real-time exposure feedback, histogram, leveling info, etc. It is very nice. You also have two ways to manually focus in the viewfinder with manual lenses. The M50 EVF is just good enough that I don't have a problem using it, higher end EVF will be even better.

Canon's mirrorless cannot do what current DSLRs can do, they do not have the AF speed or burst speeds for those that routinely shoot action/sports/fast motion. That is a pretty big circle in the Venn diagram of photography. It will take something like a Canon equivalent of the A9 to really tackle that area.

It will take about 3 years to put together a full EOS-R/RF lineup that then allows most photographers to migrate. This is where the DSLR death will occur. The Rebel market where the casual family shooter is buying up cheap cameras will be the final blow to the DSLR lineup. Once the EFM line is grown, or the EOS R has a Rebel-like offering at very low prices, the end of the DSLR will be complete.

I think the last DSLR to ever be announced by Canon will be in the 4-5 year mark. The last of the EF lenses will occur about a year prior to that final offering. This is simply based on Canon's slow and methodical development cycles. However if they have finally decided they need to speed things up, that cycle may be reduced by a year.

Even if that happens that soon, the cameras like the 1DX and 5D4 and 7D2 will all still work just fine years beyond that and will be pretty plentiful. Look how often 1D4s are available still long after its demise, and how often it is suggested to members to look at for what they shoot. So we are perhaps 10 years away from ever really talking about DSLRs on the forums. As long as the 5D4 continues to deliver the goods at high ISO (like at 16K or so) for me and track action, it has a place in my bag!

Thanks for the analysis. TBH I am old enough (and skint enough) that I am not planning much more purchasing, just replacement of stuff that breaks and is not economic to repair.

Sounds like the mirrorless is probably best suited for landscape, perhaps macro, general people and travel and the DLSRs still have the edge for wildlife/sport, that will probably change in due time.

Perhaps the way to go if I was to replace my 6D.

Gear List

Lester ­ Wareham
27,403 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 02, 2018 05:32 |  #189

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18762176 (external link)
Manual focus is just alot of fun with mirrorless, here are a couple of "I'm playing around with the tree lights" shots, it took about 1-2sec to manually focus exactly where I wanted, no setting an AF point, focusing and recomposing, or guessing if manual focus is where I wanted it. Doing that in the viewfinder is so easy now. There is no guessing whether the AF point did its job, whether you have to AFMA a lens, etc, and is one of the reasons I can forgive the negatives of an EVF.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by TeamSpeed in
./showthread.php?p=187​62176&i=i117054202
forum: Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by TeamSpeed in
./showthread.php?p=187​62176&i=i76238093
forum: Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Looking at the camera manual it says it offers video peaking for manual focus, presumably for still and video through the EVF although it is a bit vague about the limitations. It does say the MP-E 65 mm the peaking is only available down the an effective f8 (so up to 2:1 magnification I presume).

Is that what you were using above or just looking for a sharp image on the EVF, have you tried the peaking?

I can see it has the option for a histogram in the EVF but a DP Review seemed to say it does not support blikis for highlight clipping detection, is that right?

Gear List

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,357 posts
Joined May 2002

Dec 02, 2018 06:46 |  #190

I am not sure on the blinkies, but do use the focus peaking exclusively. There is an option to zoom in at 5x too similar to the live view method of the DSLRs, and I have used that a few times. Both methods are supported by either the EVF or rear screen.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,357 posts
Joined May 2002

Dec 02, 2018 07:18 |  #191

Here is an okay video on focus peaking and how to enable the camera to use manual lenses on the M5, it is the same for the M50. I use the highlight color of yellow, I can see that better.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,251 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 02, 2018 10:21 |  #192

can M or R be stopped down (without constantly holding a button) with EF lenses to show DOF in the viewfinder and/or rear LCD?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Lester ­ Wareham
27,403 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 02, 2018 12:35 |  #193

One question; Why has Canon made the emphasis on the small body size for the EOS R when the new lenses are as big or bigger than the EF equivalents?

Wouldn't it have been better for the body to be a touch bigger and includes a joystick and kept the quick access dial on the back. Also looks like there is no dedicated switch for video mode.

Lots to like, the video peaking and lens control ring stimulate my retro sensibilities (for the old MF cameras with match needle metering), but this body sizing seems odd.

Another thing is mirrorless should be great for wide angle lens design, but the widest dedicated lens so far is 35 mm. Also why not go for really small pancake primes lenses that would work much better with a small body (specially for street).

Gear List

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,357 posts
Joined May 2002

Dec 02, 2018 18:15 |  #194

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18762857 (external link)
can M or R be stopped down (without constantly holding a button) with EF lenses to show DOF in the viewfinder and/or rear LCD?

EF lenses are always wide open until the shot, so there is no way I know of. Obviously with the manual lenses, you can however.

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,369 posts
Gallery: 433 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 04, 2018 18:13 |  #195

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18762857 (external link)

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18763101 (external link)
EF lenses are always wide open until the shot, so there is no way I know of. Obviously with the manual lenses, you can however.

I just searched the R manual for "depth-of-field preview". It appears you can assign a button to it but it only works when pressed.

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships." Ansel Adams

sponsored links

11,038 views & 131 likes for this thread
No new releases for EF lens for 2019- per Canon
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.