Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 08 Nov 2018 (Thursday) 07:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shortening a lens hood?

birder_herper
764 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 08, 2018 07:42 |  #1

I am curious if anyone has altered an OEM lens hood to make it shorter. I have an extra ET-155 lens hood (fits 400/2.8 and 800/5.6) and would like to shave a few inches off the length as I often don't want all the extra length.

Anyone know of any party that would undertake this project? I once owned a 300/2.8 and I purchased a short lens hood that had been beautifully altered. Would love one for my current lens, however.

Thanks for any thoughts!

sponsored links
Audii-Dudii
84 posts
Joined Jul 2018

Nov 08, 2018 08:29 |  #2

I use adapted lenses and in-camera movements with most of my photography and OEM lens hoods often restrict the size of the image circle projected by the lenses, so I have shortened quite a few of them over the years.

Most recently, I shortened the OEM hood for the Sigma Art 14-35/f2 zoom to remove the petals -- see the photo below -- and if you're even slightly handy, it's not very difficult at all.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Plastic hoods are easy to work with than metal hoods, but the principles are the same for both: Carefully wrap a strip of masking tape around the lens to indicate the desired cut line, then use a hacksaw to cut very close to (but not right against) the tape. This is because you'll want to leave yourself some room to sand the material smooth without shortening it too much.

Of course, you'll have to figure out a way to clamp the hood against the work surface or, worst case, get someone to hold it for you and I recommend cutting it only partially through and rotating it several times rather than cutting it all the way through in one position.

Once that's done, you sand the rough edge smooth, either by rubbing the cut edge in a figure-eight pattern on a piece of sandpaper that's held flat against a piece of glass or another flat surface, rotating the hood in you hand occasionally so you sand it evenly. (Or if you have access to one, a bench-mounted disc sander works well for this, too, but go slowly because it can remove material very quickly.)

Start the sanding process using a fairly aggressive grit -- say, 80 or 100 -- to do most of the smoothing, then use a couple of progressively finer grits -- 220 to 400 then, say, a few final passes with 600 to 800 -- to make it as smooth to the touch as you wish.

Finally, use a small piece of sandpaper in your fingers to rub around the sides of the cut edge to smooth those over as well. If the hood is plastic, then you're done, but if it's metal, you may wish to paint the exposed edge or at least run a Sharpie around it a few times to make it black.

That said, though, the fact that you felt the need to ask this question does suggest that maybe you're not the DIY type -- no offense intended! -- in which case, you might ask a local machine shop to tackle it for you (pretty much any place should be able to do it, including even a general automotive machine shop) or send it to S.K. Grimes -- http://skgrimes.com/ (external link) -- or another camera machinist and have them do it for you.

Good luck!

birder_herper
THREAD ­ STARTER
764 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 08, 2018 10:49 as a reply to  @ Audii-Dudii's post |  #3

No offense taken! Indeed, I am not very handy and your thoughtful and detailed response is highly appreciated! I think I'm going to take my time and learn as much as I can before setting out on this project so I don't screw things up!

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
9,954 posts
Gallery: 941 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2015

Nov 08, 2018 11:06 |  #4

There are collapsible rubber lens hoods on the market, too. Pretty handy stuff. Google the correct diameter and see what happens.

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
500px (external link)
Etsy Store (external link)

eddieb1
863 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Nov 08, 2018 11:28 |  #5

itsallart wrote in post #18746594 (external link)
There are collapsible rubber lens hoods on the market, too. Pretty handy stuff. Google the correct diameter and see what happens.

And they’re cheap too.

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 11, 2018 11:47 |  #6

Audii-Dudii wrote in post #18746522 (external link)
I use adapted lenses and in-camera movements with most of my photography and OEM lens hoods often restrict the size of the image circle projected by the lenses, so I have shortened quite a few of them over the years.

Most recently, I shortened the OEM hood for the Sigma Art 14-35/f2 zoom to remove the petals -- see the photo below -- and if you're even slightly handy, it's not very difficult at all

(detailed instructions).

Good luck!

This is a great post in so many ways. It evokes the helpfulness, humor and can-do spirit that enhances life.

Chances of me ever shortening a hood very closely approximate zero, but it's a great reminder of more important stuff.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

steveglass
34 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2018

Dec 01, 2018 13:01 |  #7

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …A001_Flex_Lens_​Shade.html (external link)

something like that might do you.

http://www.steveglassp​hotographer.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

1,786 views & 2 likes for this thread
Shortening a lens hood?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.