Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 29 Nov 2018 (Thursday) 08:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need a new Boom Arm

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,661 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 29, 2018 08:52 |  #1

I'm currently using a Manfrotto 3-piece arm on an Avenger A0030CS heavy duty stand. I need something much more sturdy and longer. The Manfrotto bows under the weight of a strobe and modifier, especially when boomed straight out.

Any suggestions? I like the Kupo arms since the pin has been cut with sides instead of being round. I also like the Manfrotto arms that have the geared heads. Anyone using one of those heads?

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxII x 2 / 24-70L II / 70-200L II / 85 1.4L / 300 II / AD600Pros

sponsored links
kickmaster
561 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 29, 2018 09:59 |  #2

For the past six months, I've been using the QuadBoom. The Quadboom is manufactured and designed by Parabolixlight.com in Los Angeles. It has been, without a doubt, the safest boom I've ever used. For those of you with the studio space, it's worth taking a look. Parabolixlight.com

Canon Forever! 5D III, 1DX, L Primes & Zooms, Kino-Flo, Einsteins, Interfit's, Diva Ringlight, Phottix Indra 500 TTL, Interfit S1's..... Full studio....

SYS
Cream of the Crop
10,413 posts
Gallery: 227 photos
Joined Jul 2004

Nov 29, 2018 10:11 |  #3

huntersdad wrote in post #18760859 (external link)
I like the Kupo arms since the pin has been cut with sides instead of being round. Anyone using one of those heads?

Can't go wrong with Kupo. I have one and I'm set for life.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

OceanRipple*
842 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Nov 29, 2018 11:13 |  #4

What is the likely maximum payload (light + mod) - and - what is your likely maximum required offset from the stand?

For anything heavier than a Godox 360, I'd suggest using a 'Drop down pin'.

I like my Kupo (steel) boom too - though the Redwing / Quadboom option looks superb.

huntersdad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,661 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 29, 2018 11:36 as a reply to  @ OceanRipple*'s post |  #5

The max load would be an AD600 with a 28x40 softbox or a 40" octabox straight out horizontally. So maybe 9lbs? If I can keep the extension distance reasonable, I have the extension heads (both 600 and 1200) I can use and really reduce the weight on the end.

I use this for underwater photography and put some significant weight on the stand, generally 25-40lbs. While it's rare I need to go more than about 3 ft over the pool, there are a couple time per session where I need to get it out there a little further (say 6 ft), for example lighting dolphin kicks coming off the wall.

For reference, these are controlled environment sessions, where there aren't kids running around on the pool deck without supervision. It's also why I use the battery powered strobes vs AC/DC.

Facebook (external link)

kickmaster
561 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 29, 2018 15:22 |  #6

huntersdad wrote in post #18760961 (external link)
The max load would be an AD600 with a 28x40 softbox or a 40" octabox straight out horizontally. So maybe 9lbs? If I can keep the extension distance reasonable, I have the extension heads (both 600 and 1200) I can use and really reduce the weight on the end.

I use this for underwater photography and put some significant weight on the stand, generally 25-40lbs. While it's rare I need to go more than about 3 ft over the pool, there are a couple time per session where I need to get it out there a little further (say 6 ft), for example lighting dolphin kicks coming off the wall.

For reference, these are controlled environment sessions, where there aren't kids running around on the pool deck without supervision. It's also why I use the battery powered strobes vs AC/DC.

If you're going out 6' at times, I wouldn't consider the Kupo. Spend the money (if you can), and take the work out of the weight. No need to use a drop-down pin with the QuadBoom.

Canon Forever! 5D III, 1DX, L Primes & Zooms, Kino-Flo, Einsteins, Interfit's, Diva Ringlight, Phottix Indra 500 TTL, Interfit S1's..... Full studio....

OceanRipple*
842 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Post edited over 1 year ago by OceanRipple*. (3 edits in all)

Nov 29, 2018 17:23 as a reply to  @ huntersdad's post |  #7

Hi. Using an extension head makes it very much easier to achieve an offset of six feet. The lighter payload means that your counterweights could be, say, 200% of the payload, meaning that c 66% of the boom's total length is available as offset from the stand's column.

Even the Quadboom would need its 'Extension Arm Accessory adds additional 25" (64cm) to boom length' to get close to your 6 ft offset from the stand's column.

Factor in a strong steel stand, with castors and a footprint diameter of greater than 110cm, IMO. (Your Avenger stand is good but its 10 Kg limit may be marginal - does it have Alu components?)
Would love to see eventual BTS and output. Good luck.

huntersdad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,661 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 29, 2018 19:58 as a reply to  @ OceanRipple*'s post |  #8

Here's one with the current setup. It works well on the deck shooting into the closest lane. When I'm doing dolphin kicks off a turn and they are further off the wall, not so much.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Facebook (external link)

OceanRipple*
842 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Post edited over 1 year ago by OceanRipple*.

Nov 30, 2018 03:35 as a reply to  @ huntersdad's post |  #9

Tx. Cool shot. Is there such a thing as a safe, waterproof silver reflector?

OT slightly, but if you ever need scary levels of offset, see;
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=-mclNLDfLbU (external link)

huntersdad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,661 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 30, 2018 06:36 as a reply to  @ OceanRipple*'s post |  #10

I haven't figured out how to deal with the reflector underwater. Holding it isn't an option, so it would have to be stand mounted. I've talked with another person that does this work and he told me to just use a regular reflector and let it dry after use. The other issue is how to get light to the reflector as all the light you see here is from flash. In this scenario, there is not an overhead light source, so any light being reflected has to come from a flash, which I haven't in my head quite figured out yet.

Facebook (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,525 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 01, 2018 09:58 |  #11

huntersdad wrote in post #18760961 (external link)

Why not use the extension head. I use one with 24x36" softbox and it is pretty light. I have the avenger boom but don't like using it. But that should work very easy. I wouldn't stick AD600 on a boom.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,525 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 01, 2018 09:59 |  #12

For those swimmer shots, bare reflector or long throw reflector might work better than a softbox.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

jlafferty
259 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Post edited over 1 year ago by jlafferty.

Dec 01, 2018 14:48 |  #13

Agreed. I’d even look at a Magnum or efficient umbrella. And as others have said, in your scenario the extension head seems like a must have.

bobbyz wrote in post #18762174 (external link)
For those swimmer shots, bare reflector or long throw reflector might work better than a softbox.

Current Portfolio (external link)

huntersdad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,661 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 01, 2018 15:57 |  #14

bobbyz wrote in post #18762174 (external link)

For those shots, it is a reflector. Above water shots get a softbox, i.e., breast and fly strokes.

Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

1,552 views & 7 likes for this thread
Need a new Boom Arm
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.