Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,368 posts
Gallery: 433 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 01, 2018 19:39 |  #1126

EOS R, RF 24-105L, 43mm

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Public/2018-Miscellaneous/i-CtQmCzj/0/e5f3cfb6/X3/20181124-0870-X3.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.cscott4.co​m …Miscellaneous/i​-CtQmCzj/A  (external link)

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships." Ansel Adams

sponsored links
C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,368 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited 2 months ago by C Scott IV. (2 edits in all)

Dec 01, 2018 20:14 |  #1127

Pushed the shadows a bit on this one. No noise reduction.

EOS R, RF 24-105R, 105mm

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Public/2018-Miscellaneous/i-TVhXhm3/0/90e92dd7/X3/20181124-0878-X3.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.cscott4.co​m …Miscellaneous/i​-TVhXhm3/A  (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships." Ansel Adams

DigitalTuned
All these thoughts give me nightmares
4,528 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 02, 2018 01:18 |  #1128

:love::love::love:

IMAGE: http://i65.tinypic.com/2uygaae.jpg

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
facebook - (external link) - 500px (external link)

SereneSpeed
907 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 02, 2018 07:41 as a reply to  @ DigitalTuned's post |  #1129

By capturing that image, you just gave two parents a pretty amazing Christmas gift - Nice work!

https://www.danbcreati​ve.com (external link) - Commercial Work

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,574 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited 2 months ago by John Sheehy.

Dec 02, 2018 09:58 |  #1130

nqjudo wrote in post #18762354 (external link)
For me the point of diminishing returns was 1080p. I can't really tell the difference between 1080p and 4k when watching video. Anyone else?

Night and day. I can tell 4K video from 100 feet away in a big store like Target. Motion is just so much smoother with sharp optics. Think about it, an advancing edge that moves 1 pixel then 2 pixels, then 1, then 2 at 1080p can move smoother, at 3 pixels every frame, without stuttering.

With 1080p, the only way to avoid stuttering (1.5 pixels per frame, instead of 1, 2, 1, 2, etc) is to have less sharpness, and who wants that with so few pixels?

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,162 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 02, 2018 10:38 |  #1131

John Sheehy wrote in post #18762841 (external link)
Night and day. I can tell 4K video from 100 feet away in a big store like Target. Motion is just so much smoother with sharp optics. Think about it, an advancing edge that moves 1 pixel then 2 pixels, then 1, then 2 at 1080p can move smoother, at 3 pixels every frame, without stuttering.

With 1080p, the only way to avoid stuttering (1.5 pixels per frame, instead of 1, 2, 1, 2, etc) is to have less sharpness, and who wants that with so few pixels?

Like I said I don't really notice the difference. It could be the fact that I never watch two video sources side by side or possibly because my preoccupation with what I'm watching is typically more biased toward the content rather than how it is delivered. I don't doubt 4k enjoys the advantages you describe but I guess I'm just not likely to consider it.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

chuckmiller
852 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2012

Dec 02, 2018 11:25 |  #1132

nqjudo wrote in post #18762354 (external link)
For me the point of diminishing returns was 1080p. I can't really tell the difference between 1080p and 4k when watching video. Anyone else?

On what size screen? I believe you are correct on the average computer screen size of today but what about say a 65 inch TV?

Retired from Fire/Rescue with 30 years on the job 1/05/2019

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,162 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 2 months ago by nqjudo.

Dec 02, 2018 12:54 |  #1133

chuckmiller wrote in post #18762895 (external link)
On what size screen? I believe you are correct on the average computer screen size of today but what about say a 65 inch TV?

That is another part of the equation I don't get. Vloggers seem quite concerned about recording in 4k which is typically viewed on a phone, small browser window or small screen. I think your TV scenario is a difficult one. There are a boatload of variables. For instance in my neck of the woods some providers compress signals an *awful* lot and it is often less than pretty. By the time we consider providers, signals, receivers, cables, TVs, etc. we're beyond any practical means of comparison. I think the best answer I can give is it depends. To go back on my original statement If I don't appreciate what I'm seeing in 1080p it isn't 4k that is going to solve the problem. I consider the statement you quoted analogous to my attitude about upgrading camera gear. I think it is a good thing when when it becomes necessary but a bad investment just to have the latest and greatest. Most of what I watch isn't even available in 4k so there's little sense in chasing it. For myself 1080p is more than what I need for excellent picture quality and an immersive viewing experience. Someone can definitely make the argument that 4k is better and it certainly would be. For them.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,828 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 2 months ago by mdvaden. (5 edits in all)

Dec 02, 2018 17:22 |  #1134

chuckmiller wrote in post #18762895 (external link)

Yet the users of the EOS R or other cameras that record 4K, or folks who even use video at all, or publish their video to massive screen, are fractions. In same cases maybe fractions of fractions.

In some ways, that could be like the difference between putting a .38 special or .357 mag into a magnum looking body, but just some folks knowing the difference or needing the difference.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,698 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Post edited 2 months ago by Pekka.

Dec 02, 2018 17:38 |  #1135

If you need it for gear list, gallery building or to give ratings, EOS R is now added:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/gearinde​x.php?id=3671

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,368 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 02, 2018 17:40 |  #1136

Pekka wrote in post #18763075 (external link)
If you need it for gear list, gallery building or to give ratings, EOS R is now added:

Thank you!

Charles

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,828 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 2 months ago by mdvaden.

Dec 02, 2018 17:45 |  #1137

Pekka wrote in post #18763075 (external link)

Have all the lenses which have been sold with the EOS R been added too, for gear, and for the lens sample archives? And maybe for lens reviews too

Thanks.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
15,732 posts
Gallery: 2429 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 2 months ago by Pondrader.

Dec 02, 2018 17:47 |  #1138

Works like a charm lol

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

DigitalTuned
All these thoughts give me nightmares
4,528 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 02, 2018 21:40 |  #1139

SereneSpeed wrote in post #18762738 (external link)
By capturing that image, you just gave two parents a pretty amazing Christmas gift - Nice work!

Thank you shes my granddaughter :love:

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
facebook - (external link) - 500px (external link)

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,044 posts
Gallery: 188 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 02, 2018 22:56 |  #1140

I have followed this guy for quite a while, This is his review of the R. Before anyone flips out listen to the whole video. This is from a landscape photographers point of view. Sound very much like the same reasons a friend of mine has decided against the R

https://youtu.be/VQJWY​J0bXyE (external link)

5D3 7D2 Fuji X100 Fuji X10 canon glass and the odd shot with other brands
https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link)

sponsored links

204,155 views & 6,171 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.