Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 14 Sep 2017 (Thursday) 10:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What's your small/take everywhere camera?

Audii-Dudii
84 posts
Joined Jul 2018

Nov 30, 2018 22:47 |  #46

Since my backup RX1 is now dead, along with my primary RX1, I've been rooting around in my hall closet and resurrecting cameras I haven't used in a while and never bothered to sell.

First, it was my Fuji X100S.

Then it was my Fuji X-Pro1 / 18mm lens combo.

Most recently, I've been using a Samsung NX500 / Contax 28/f2.8 combo and now that I have a decent profile created for it, I'm rather enjoying photographing the way I did when I started 46 years ago; i.e., completely manually.

I do miss the leaf shutters of the RX1 and X100S, as they make using fill-flash easy-peasy, and I still have no idea why the NX500 acts wacky sometimes (i.e., three consecutive photos taken with the same settings a fraction of a second apart will look completely different, both exposure- and color balance-wise. <scratches head>

But this combination of sensor and lens renders photos in a very appealing way, which is my preference over ruthless accuracy when it comes to an everyday carry camera.

Here's a sample photo taken during yesterday afternoon's walk with Miss Abby:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Nothing to complain about here, eh?

sponsored links
shane_c
689 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 01, 2018 06:43 |  #47

I picked up a Canon G1X for when I want to have a camera on me but don't want to carry a DSLR. I've been very happy with the image quality from it.

Canon 80D - Canon 15-85, Canon 40 STM, Canon 70-200L F4 (non-IS), Canon 1.4x II
G1X, G15
My Instagram (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,010 posts
Gallery: 1466 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 01, 2018 08:58 |  #48

I'd have to update mine as well.

These days, I take my Fuji X100S to anything where I just want to have a small camera that is silent, has everything in one system, and a small pancake lens. No fuss. No changing of anything. It's one of my favorite FOV for "do everything" with the 35mm full frame FOV and it has F2 speed, along with silent leaf shutters that can sync with it's very handy and good TTL flash and a built in ND filter that I can enable at a tap of a button. Fantastic as a range finder. Fantastic as an EVF. The AF works great in low light. It is very enjoyable to use fully manually including manual focus to get the old nostalgia feel. And it's so simply with the LCD and AF and all that, that I can hand it to someone to take a photo of us and it is so simple and delivers. We use it for going out, vacation, just general trips in general, any every day stuff. It's always at the ready near by in the house. But, the main reason I enjoy it other than simplicity, good sensor, all features on-board? I like that it's silent, low profile, no one pays attention to the quiet little camera, which just adds to what I like in images were it's more candid. I can get right up in things and the silent nature of the leaf shutter is just great. No one knows I'm taking photos unless I have the flash on. That is a huge deal to me, having a truly quiet, low profile camera. No one looks over constantly from everywhere noticing the "camera person" with the big lens and stuff.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4454/37289484694_056ebd8652_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/YP9m​DU  (external link) IMG_9244 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,273 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 01, 2018 13:35 |  #49

Wilt wrote in post #18452443 (external link)
Canon S95 goes on business trips with me, when dSLR is too bulky to bring along as an afterthought. But I do want wider FOV, so S110 is on the wish list.

Got my S110!

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/Equipment/IMG_3536%20-1a_zpsbtspooht.jpg

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

tcphoto1
Goldmember
1,235 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Dec 01, 2018 16:58 |  #50

I’m a little lukewarm on my iPhone because I prefer something a bit more wide, so I like to carry my G15 regularly.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

www.tonyclarkphoto.com (external link)
www.tcphoto.org (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,823 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Dec 01, 2018 20:38 |  #51

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18456741 (external link)
These days for me, it is the SL2 with a small lens, and it operates just like the rest of my camera bodies, and uses the same lenses, and produces great high ISO and low ISO DR results.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by TeamSpeed in
./showthread.php?p=184​56741&i=i60644522
forum: General Photography Talk

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by TeamSpeed in
./showthread.php?p=184​56741&i=i136267004
forum: General Photography Talk

So... how much better is it than the SL1? My wife prefers her SL1 to my now abandoned 70D because of the weight. So.... I'm wondering.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,650 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 01, 2018 21:04 |  #52

I got a G7X2 for this purpose. It produces some great photos and video, when I can get the focus to lock on. But it can be very finicky in low light and, as a result, I don't carry it as much as I thought I would.

On the other hand I've got some great results from my Note 8, and that is always on me. My only complaint is I wish the normal lens was wider.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,388 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Dec 01, 2018 22:02 |  #53

Phoenixkh wrote in post #18762569 (external link)
So... how much better is it than the SL1? My wife prefers her SL1 to my now abandoned 70D because of the weight. So.... I'm wondering.

The SL2 is better with IQ and DR, having the 80D sensor, and that was a nice draw for me.

I since moved to the M50, it provides more flexibility over the SL2 in the use of small EFM lenses, as well as EF/EFS and then other manufacturer lenses too.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,823 posts
Joined May 2011

Dec 01, 2018 23:18 |  #54

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18762600 (external link)
The SL2 is better with IQ and DR, having the 80D sensor, and that was a nice draw for me.

I since moved to the M50, it provides more flexibility over the SL2 in the use of small EFM lenses, as well as EF/EFS and then other manufacturer lenses too.

Thank you for your response.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

jeraldjcook
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited 2 months ago by jeraldjcook.

Dec 02, 2018 11:38 |  #55

Phoenixkh wrote in post #18762569 (external link)

I've owned both the SL1 and SL2 and sold both and unless your wife uses liveview a lot there I feel the SL2 wasn't much of an update. If she does then the articulating and touch screen LCD, along with dual pixel AF, are nice upgrades. Since I generally prefer using the viewfinder the wimpy 9 point autofocus drove me crazy and using the old "focus and recompose" in 2018 is unacceptable. I think the M50 is a superior camera to the SL2 in every regard except for battery life.

jjackflash
"I MISSED THE STRIPPERS"
614 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 02, 2018 12:56 |  #56

Sony rx1rll

http://jjackflash.zenf​olio.com/ (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,823 posts
Joined May 2011

Dec 02, 2018 13:01 |  #57

jeraldjcook wrote in post #18762908 (external link)
I've owned both the SL1 and SL2 and sold both and unless your wife uses liveview a lot there I feel the SL2 wasn't much of an update. If she does then the articulating and touch screen LCD, along with dual pixel AF, are nice upgrades. Since I generally prefer using the viewfinder the wimpy 9 point autofocus drove me crazy and using the old "focus and recompose" in 2018 is unacceptable. I think the M50 is a superior camera to the SL2 in every regard except for battery life.

Thank you

Rainyday
Goldmember
1,103 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 02, 2018 13:17 |  #58

Fujifilm X100F. Takes amazing pictures.

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,829 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 2 months ago by mdvaden.

Dec 03, 2018 01:19 |  #59

joeseph wrote in post #18452335 (external link)
Eos M5 with a 18-150mm lens.

Same body I use, but with 15-45mm

Mostly for hiking and taking work.

I use a phone to capture labels and stuff for shopping. But never for scenery. There's no substitute for having a decent amount of zoom available. So I've always thought of phones as more of a "scanner".

The number of good shots a phone will lose that a dedicated camera will capture is a lot. Few people seem to mention how much potential is lost with a phone's lens limitations. I would probably lose 90% of my photo compositions if a phone were all that's available. A 90% increase is well worth the cost of a camera that's equal or less than the cost of some phones.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

MatthewK
Goldmember
3,641 posts
Gallery: 631 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 04, 2018 03:21 |  #60

Rainyday wrote in post #18762957 (external link)
Fujifilm X100F. Takes amazing pictures.

That's my choice as well. Love this camera!

"NEW YEAR, NO G.A.S"

sponsored links

22,215 views & 11 likes for this thread
What's your small/take everywhere camera?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.