Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 02 Dec 2018 (Sunday) 23:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help with Skin Tone Please

knottyamy
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Dec 2018

Dec 02, 2018 23:18 |  #1

Hi!
Would love some critique here of posing, settings but particularly editing. I look at these images and something about the skin tones really bothers me but for the life of me I can't figure out what to edit or adjust to make the skin tones much more natural. I welcome nit picking!
These were shot on a Canon 5D Mark IV with a 35mm Sigma lens, edited in Lightroom.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,233 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Dec 02, 2018 23:34 |  #2

Hi Amy and welcome to POTN. The photos have an overall slight bluish or greenish(it's hard to tell the difference) cast to them. Are you exporting the files in sRGB color space? Can you upload the RAW files to Dropbox or some other file-sharing service and then post a link here for us to experiment with?

Mark

knottyamy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Dec 2018
Post edited 3 months ago by knottyamy.

Dec 03, 2018 00:17 as a reply to  @ rrblint's post |  #3

Thanks Mark!
Here is the link for a DropBox anyone can access - files are uploaded in High Res AdobeRGB and sRGB colour space.

For future reference if I'm sharing photos for other people to have a go of editing, should I stick to AdobeRGB?

See link and feel free to experiment! They are uploading now

https://www.dropbox.co​m …U48vheT-rGxUfCPGCwna?dl=0 (external link)

Intheswamp
Goldmember
1,195 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 03, 2018 08:44 |  #4

I'm no pro, just a hobbiest trying to figure things out. I used Photoshop CS2. I adjusted levels and curve a touch via layers and then used a Hue/Saturation level and adjusted the saturation slider over to around +40. I'm just scrambling around here, trying to figure things out by the seat-of-my-pants so I'm sure one of the pros will have a better and quicker fix than what I did (I'm waiting to see what they do!!:-)). Anyhow, here's my results...

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

www.beeweather.com (external link)

Intheswamp
Goldmember
1,195 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 03, 2018 08:46 |  #5

You mentioned experimenting... Here's one more. :)

HOSTED PHOTO

www.beeweather.com (external link)

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,157 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 03, 2018 11:22 |  #6

Are you posting you edited output from LR or the straight from camera files to drop box?

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Qbx
Goldmember
3,907 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 03, 2018 16:37 |  #7

Here's my take on it.
In Lightroom: Temp +8, Tint +24, Whites +39, Blacks -8, Shadows +92, then a gradient at the top 1/4 to darken the bright sky.

This scene looks backlit by a setting sun plus a lot of green reflecting off the foliage; so conflicting light at best.
Next time shoot a gray card or a color-checker card in one frame.

HOSTED PHOTO

-- Image Editing OK --

knottyamy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Dec 2018

Dec 03, 2018 18:45 as a reply to  @ Qbx's post |  #8

Thanks everyone! I haven't shot with a grey card before - as in I know what they are for, just haven't thought to use one as I use RAW files anyway - would a grey card make a difference?

I had done editing already, but I've just uploaded the DNG files to the dropbox link if people want to have a go?

I'm trying to tweak my current wedding preset to be something more workable.

Here is the dropbox link again:
https://www.dropbox.co​m …U48vheT-rGxUfCPGCwna?dl=0 (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by cdifoto.

Dec 03, 2018 19:30 as a reply to  @ knottyamy's post |  #9

cdifoto wrote in post #18763792 (external link)
I don't buy new cameras. Your use case and my money says I'd get a 1D4 as suggested and be very happy.

Except the extra mass. Sometimes that's annoying. It's a battery grip that you can never remove.

Shooting a grey card gives you a reference for what true color balance is, but it won't necessarily give you pleasant or appealing skin tones.

These guys need more light on them for starters (look at how dark his eye sockets are) and that goes a good ways towards getting what we like to see. A reflector would probably be adequate here since they're backlit. It would throw the same light that's behind them right back onto them.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,233 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Dec 03, 2018 19:47 |  #10

Here's the best I could come up with. I warmed and tinted the WB, added a bit of vibrance and cropped.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Mark

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,116 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by Croasdail.

Dec 04, 2018 16:26 |  #11

Ok.... looking at the original... it was underexposed because your camera was averaging exposure due to the brightness spot above the trees. If you use spot meeting you will avoid some of these issues. Now, how I usually like to fix this problem is to NOT increase the exposure slider. When you do that it drags all the colors with it, and you will get color shift. I rather use the levels and tone curve to try to fix the exposure. I will also go in and try to correct for color shift using the individual color and luminance sliders adjustment. Here is a quick example of what I came up with. Not perfect - my wife is calling me for dinner - but gives you an example of the change. I also took the liberty to desaturate the greens so that they were not competing with the main subject. Hope this gives you just another option how you might attack the problem.... cheers

HOSTED PHOTO

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,116 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 06, 2018 10:33 |  #12

Knottyamy - since this is in the critique are, I've been thinking about this shot a lot more. You came here looking for help with the color. Honestly the color (and exposure) really are the issue with this image. They are both easily corrected. In my correction I went for skin tones - but it rendered the image more cool. That too can be corrected for taste.

But the real issue with this image is the background. Because of the nature of the trees, and the time of day, they came off very harsh. They take away from the subject, which in my interpretation should be soft and sweet based on the subject. The background contrasts that heavily, and is harsh, taking away from the image.

I shoot sports and news media stuff as a stringer. While focus is incredibly important, background is almost as important. One of the schools I shoot at regularly is Duke University. Their football stadium is the old traditional horseshoe type. Far too often I would set myself up in one of the end zones, and shoot the game from their. One of the things that bugged me most (still does) is at the far end zone, an ambulance would be staged for the game. I had too many shots where I think I caught great action, but that dang ambulance would find its way into the shot. Rather than focusing on the great feat of athleticism I caught, the viewers eyes would be sucked over to the red and white ambulance... not matter how great the action. They have since updated the stadium and now a jumbo tv screen occupies that space... solving my problem.... but it was something that pounded into my head the importance of the background.

It's why most sports photographers shoot even on the brightest days wide open, to defuse the background. Its something that makes professionals spend 3 or 4 x on a lenses - to get to f2.8. But even at 2.8 as you shot this, it was not enough diffusion to soften the background enough. The light rimming the trees also was against you.

When you show up to shoot a shot like this, look carefully how what is behind the subject will impact the shot. Look for backgrounds that bring emphasis to the shot. The two standing on a path or road that leads the eye to them. Its why taking pictures on train tracks is so popular. Or make sure the background is far enough behind that it goes into total blur and diffused. It is what takes a shot from a snap shot to a truly great portrait. It's a process.....and you'll get it. Environmental portraits can be a challenge..... even for the most experienced photographer..... keep at ....... maybe these two will let you shoot it again. Or just use something like PhotoShop to add a further Gaussian blur to the background.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,898 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 08, 2018 16:01 |  #13

The main problem is the shadows on their skin. If you adjust everything to taste and then raise the exposure on their skin it will have a more natural tone. I did raise the color balance of each image to aid in getting the right skin tones.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M
https://designcostello​.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

947 views & 8 likes for this thread
Help with Skin Tone Please
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.