Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jun 2017 (Friday) 10:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)

LeeRatters
Goldmember
4,833 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 03, 2018 14:09 |  #22711

Guys, I'm thinking a little in advance here. I'm still waiting on the CV40/1.2E yet.....

What I'm thinking is, at some point, a wide prime. At the moment I'm vintage 28/2.8 ;)

I'm thinking around the 20mm mark, reasonably priced & not too big or heavy.

My contenders are the Voigtlander Color Skopar 21/3.5, Loxia 21/2.8 or the Tokina FiRIN 21/2 MF

I think MF would be fine. It's main use would be landscapes but I would like to do the odd bit of astro too. I rarely shoot into the sun, I'm not really bothered about sunstars, I'd prefer a filter thread of 67mm or less.... I'm also on the A7 so high ISO isn't as clean as the majority of you all.

>> Flickr << (external link)

>> Instagram<< (external link)

sponsored links
Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,435 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 03, 2018 14:59 |  #22712

LeeRatters wrote in post #18763644 (external link)
Guys, I'm thinking a little in advance here. I'm still waiting on the CV40/1.2E yet.....

What I'm thinking is, at some point, a wide prime. At the moment I'm vintage 28/2.8 ;)

My contenders are the Voigtlander Color Skopar 21/3.5, Loxia 21/2.8 or the Tokina FiRIN 21/2 MF

I think MF would be fine. It's main use would be landscapes but I would like to do the odd bit of astro too. I rarely shoot into the sun, I'm not really bothered about sunstars, I'd prefer a filter thread of 67mm or less.... I'm also on the A7 so high ISO isn't as clean as the majority of you all.

due to the size issue, was never really interested in the Firin.

I have the CV 21...... amazing high quality lens. Very good wide open, havent even stopped it down yet, except to f4 for the sunstar effect. The lens is essentially the size of the FE 35, and a tad heavier.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Sony A7rii/A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
12,428 posts
Gallery: 578 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 03, 2018 15:30 |  #22713

I own the loxia but I would say get the Voigtländer. Doesn’t really tick the Astro box though

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
RX1R II | α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket
Voigtlander 15 | Loxia 21 | Batis 25 | Voigtlander 40 | Batis 85

LeeRatters
Goldmember
4,833 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 03, 2018 15:48 |  #22714

Charlie wrote in post #18763662 (external link)
due to the size issue, was never really interested in the Firin.

I have the CV 21...... amazing high quality lens. Very good wide open, havent even stopped it down yet, except to f4 for the sunstar effect. The lens is essentially the size of the FE 35, and a tad heavier.

xpfloyd wrote in post #18763686 (external link)
I own the loxia but I would say get the Voigtländer. Doesn’t really tick the Astro box though

The Voigtlander was/is in first place. My boy is starting to get into space/astrology a bit & is thinking of buying himself a telescope with his Xmas money & savings. I thought it would be cool to get out with him at night on the south coast or a wild camp in the Brecons or something... I wasn't sure how f/3.5 would hold up in that situation? I mean it'd be rude not to do some star/MW photography wouldn't it.... I suppose I could try stitching with the CV40/1.2?

>> Flickr << (external link)

>> Instagram<< (external link)

Miranda1
933 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2005

Dec 03, 2018 17:54 |  #22715

Easy decision for me, the Loxia 21. You might want to check Fred's site he did some side by side testes with a number of 21s including the new VC.

Sony A7R2
Canon/Sony Glass: Canon 200 F2, Sigma 135 1.8,12-24 G, 16-35 GM, 24-70 GM, 90 GM
Zeiss Glass: 55 OTUS, 100 Makro Planar, Contax 100-300
Legacy and M Mount Glass: Leica 90 APO, Zeiss 35 1.4 Distagon, Zeiss 50 1.5 C, Zeiss Biogon 25 ZM, Zeiss 85 Tele-Tessar, Canon 50 F0.95, Meyer-Optik Trioplan 100 F2.8, Zeiss Biotar 58.

genesimmons
Goldmember
1,942 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Dec 03, 2018 19:43 |  #22716

tmalone893 wrote in post #18763562 (external link)
I was doing what he mentioned about simply turning off the trigger first and then back on when I was ready to use the strobe. I do like his suggestion on the custom button and assigning it to the AEL.

its funny ive been using my ttl flash for months and never really noticed that my settings wouldnt change in the evf, now that i know its a weird firmware thing it really bothers me, i dont understand why sony would change your setting and not allow it to be a choice,,,,i have setting effect on all the time as i want to see what my image will look like before shooting, and i would like that setting to stick if theres a flash being used or not,,,,very frustrating now to have to preview it with a button first,,,,i have assigned it to the trash button, hope to test it out soon in a in the field sittutation,,,

OLYMPUS EM1 M2. 12-100 F4 PRO.75mm f1.8,fisheye f1.8 pro. SONY A7 various manual lenses. FUJI X100
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/100085318@N08/ (external link)

Itsed65
Goldmember
3,107 posts
Gallery: 1522 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited 2 months ago by Itsed65.

Dec 03, 2018 22:01 |  #22717

Sacramento NWR

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4900/44352241970_6438c94c53_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2azf​Qk5  (external link)
Big Cloud (external link) by lennycarl08 (external link), on Flickr

Canon 5D MK IV, 7D MK II, 1D MK IV, Fuji XT-2 Sony A9 and RX10 MK IV
My Flickr (external link)

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
7,210 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited 2 months ago by digital_AM. (4 edits in all)

Dec 03, 2018 22:15 |  #22718

Can anyone recommend software to recover data from a corrupted Sandisk card? I've tried a few programs and they can see the files but most require a purchase to recover. Thanks.

Disregard: I used Photrec to recover the files. Thank goodness because some of them were for a client.

---------------

This is one of the images on my corrupted SD card that I'm happy I recovered:

After finishing up some interior images of Mission San Juan, I captured this long exposure shot of the sunset using the SR app. Single exposure using the Canon 24mm TS-E.

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-Z7kcrhH/0/23434313/O/i-Z7kcrhH.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.alfredomor​aphoto.com …oads/n-KGp2Jw/i-Z7kcrhH/A  (external link)

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
16,691 posts
Gallery: 439 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 04, 2018 02:29 |  #22719

very nice.

i''m glad you've recovered the files.

| VINZ - SONY A7RIII/A6000/FDR-X3000 | 85GM | FE1635GM | FE50F1.8 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
6,554 posts
Gallery: 354 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 04, 2018 05:11 |  #22720

An image from Mt. Rainier National Park. The Paradise River just above Narada Falls. The 16-35 GM at 16mm gave the look I was going for, and got just enough of the sky and trees...the B18 was just that touch too narrow...and the CV12 was too wide...

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4875/46123152082_440c1a2334_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2dgK​dd3  (external link) Paradise River Cascades (external link) by Travis Rhoads (external link), on Flickr

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
7,210 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 04, 2018 06:32 |  #22721

vinmunoz wrote in post #18764006 (external link)
very nice.

i''m glad you've recovered the files.

Thank you Vinz. Me too.

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
6,554 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 04, 2018 07:35 |  #22722

digital_AM wrote in post #18763902 (external link)
Can anyone recommend software to recover data from a corrupted Sandisk card? I've tried a few programs and they can see the files but most require a purchase to recover. Thanks.

Disregard: I used Photrec to recover the files. Thank goodness because some of them were for a client.

---------------

This is one of the images on my corrupted SD card that I'm happy I recovered:

After finishing up some interior images of Mission San Juan, I captured this long exposure shot of the sunset using the SR app. Single exposure using the Canon 24mm TS-E.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://www.alfredomor​aphoto.com …oads/n-KGp2Jw/i-Z7kcrhH/A  (external link)

Such a cool image. What did the client think, did you deliver that one?

Did you figure out what caused the SD card to get corrupted? I noticed on my cards that the brass connections all look like they are wearing a lot, and I wondered if that needs to be cleaned or do they all need to be replaced, even the newer ones all show signs of wear on the contacts. Never had that issue with CF cards...

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
7,210 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 04, 2018 08:26 |  #22723

TRhoads wrote in post #18764082 (external link)
Such a cool image. What did the client think, did you deliver that one?

Did you figure out what caused the SD card to get corrupted? I noticed on my cards that the brass connections all look like they are wearing a lot, and I wondered if that needs to be cleaned or do they all need to be replaced, even the newer ones all show signs of wear on the contacts. Never had that issue with CF cards...

Thanks Travis! I haven’t shown the client the image yet. This one wasn’t in scope to the other documentary work I was doing for them. If they are interested, I will license it to them or they can order a print directly.

Yeah I’m not sure what happened. Maybe I turned off the camera while the last image was being written to the card. I wonder if I should throw the card away and get a new one? Thankfully the card didn’t have the bulk of client images and I’m glad I was able to recover them including the one above. Be careful about static electricity too when moving the card to the card reader.

Really enjoyed your last winter image. Nicely framed and edited.

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
6,554 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 04, 2018 08:28 |  #22724

digital_AM wrote in post #18764094 (external link)
Thanks Travis! I haven’t shown the client the image yet. This one wasn’t in scope to the other documentary work I was doing for them. If they are interested, I will license it to them or they can order a print directly.

Yeah I’m not sure what happened. Maybe I turned off the camera while the last image was being written to the card. I wonder if I should throw the card away and get a new one? Thankfully the card didn’t have the bulk of client images and I’m glad I was able to recover them including the one above. Be careful about static electricity too when moving the card to the card reader.

Really enjoyed your last winter image. Nicely framed and edited.

Me personally...if a card went bad like that and I was able to recover the files...I would cut my losses and replace that card, I would be so suspect of it doing it again...the one that I had go bad was when the card was too full and could not write the last files to the card...I was able to save all the files on that card, but then that card wouldn't work the next time I put it in the camera...it went right in the trash.

Thanks. It was so cool to shoot winter scenes like that...

txsizzler
462 posts
Gallery: 154 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2017

Dec 04, 2018 09:07 |  #22725

A stormy ocean, giving away to a spectacular sunrise this morning!

Photo taken at Poenisch Park, Corpus Christi, TX.

Photo taken with the Sony A7II & Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 DX lens (shot at f/10, ISO 100, 1/25 seconds).

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from txsizzler's gallery.

sponsored links

1,513,000 views & 52,548 likes for this thread
Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.