Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 Dec 2018 (Tuesday) 12:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EOS R - Tips, Tricks and Tutorials

i-G12
Wat?
1,631 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 04, 2018 12:34 |  #1

OK, well, the other two threads have pretty much turned into a pissing match of negativity which isn't helping anybody who has 1) bought the camera or 2) is planning on buying the camera in the near future.

So maybe this thread can be used as a resource for those who are looking for new things this camera may do or learning some neat tip or trick from current users of the new gear.

If you have found something you think would be of interest to people who are currently using the new camera or who are considering purchasing, please by all means post those ideas here.

If you are feeling exceptionally helpful you may wish to post a tutorial to help those who may need some additional help with all the new features or something you found that is hidden and that is a great feature if used properly.

Hopefully this thread won't wonder way off topic. It's really meant to be a useful thread for users who may be overwhelmed or just looking for cool things they can incorporate into their usage/workflow.

sponsored links
mdvaden
Goldmember
2,829 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 2 months ago by mdvaden. (2 edits in all)

Dec 04, 2018 16:40 |  #2

i-G12 wrote in post #18764239 (external link)
OK, well, the other two threads have pretty much turned into a pissing match of negativity which isn't helping anybody who has 1) bought the camera or 2) is planning on buying the camera in the near future.

Good idea for a change where on-topic info outweighs' "lounge" talk. For starters, here's Tamron's LENS compatibility page for lenses.

https://tamron.com.au …-z7-with-tamron-lenses-2/ (external link)

I learned about this previous when someone said the Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 lens I have could work with the Canon EOS R. They noted a firmware update, probably for the Canon 5D mk iv Live View that supposed to compensate. Mine is generation #1 and Tamron's page refers to G2. But my generation one Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 works on the Canon EOS R even though it's not on Tamron's list.

My Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 arrives back from Tamron tomorrow, so I will know soon.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

DigitalTuned
All these thoughts give me nightmares
4,528 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Nov 2010
Post edited 2 months ago by DigitalTuned.

Dec 04, 2018 18:40 |  #3

Lol following

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
facebook - (external link) - 500px (external link)

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,829 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 2 months ago by mdvaden.

Dec 05, 2018 16:26 |  #4

mdvaden wrote in post #18764415 (external link)
For starters, here's Tamron's LENS compatibility page for lenses.

https://tamron.com.au …-z7-with-tamron-lenses-2/ (external link)

My Tamron SP 70-200MM F/2.8 DI VC USD (Model A009E) came back from Tamron, and I can confirm that it works on the EOS R after the firmware update as another forum user suggested. Along with my 24-70mm that gives me two lens not on Tamron's list that work with the EOS R.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,829 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 12, 2018 23:40 |  #5

After a question posted on FB about the EVF of the EOS R, I found this video and don't recall seeing it before. It covers several features of the EOS R I had not heard about. Some of the magnification options were interesting too.

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,151 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 14, 2018 15:47 |  #6

i-G12 wrote in post #18764239 (external link)

Oh no you didn't get one did you my friend?

After the 70D I thought we swore as friends not to get sucked in by canon on a "first of its kind" camera by them again :)

Really though, just seen your name, reminded me of the good conversations we shared and had to say hello :)

i-G12
THREAD ­ STARTER
Wat?
1,631 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 14, 2018 15:56 |  #7

Scoobert wrote in post #18770973 (external link)
Oh no you didn't get one did you my friend?

After the 70D I thought we swore as friends not to get sucked in by canon on a "first of its kind" camera by them again :)

Really though, just seen your name, reminded me of the good conversations we shared and had to say hello :)

No, not yet. I'm kind of conflicted!

Seems waiting until the next version of the R might be a good plan.

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,151 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 14, 2018 22:42 |  #8

i-G12 wrote in post #18770978 (external link)
No, not yet. I'm kind of conflicted!

Seems waiting until the next version of the R might be a good plan.

Tried a friends while he had it, was not impressed at all, in any way, at all, not any.

Neither was my friend, he sent it back to amazon before the 30 days and got a refund. Maybe in a couple more iterations it will be ok, but I am going to buy a Sony w/28-75 and adapt my other canon lenses while I wait. I'll let you know how the experiment goes, figure it cant be any worse then what I went through with the 70D :)

sponsored links

1,504 views & 4 likes for this thread
Canon EOS R - Tips, Tricks and Tutorials
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.