Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Medium Format Digital Cameras and Backs 
Thread started 08 Nov 2018 (Thursday) 00:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fujifilm GFX 50r

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,270 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited 2 months ago by bobbyz.

Nov 29, 2018 14:47 |  #16

Rainyday wrote in post #18761092 (external link)
Could someone help me understand the appeal of medium format cameras? I get they are awesome for really big prints (11x14 and such) but do they offer more detail? More correct color? Different dof?

Thanks

What is the appeal of FF compared to APS-C, same with APS-C to micro 4/3, micro 4/3 to some p&s, p&s to your cellphone camera.:-)

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

sponsored links
F2Bthere
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Nov 29, 2018 23:06 |  #17

Rainyday wrote in post #18761092 (external link)
Could someone help me understand the appeal of medium format cameras? I get they are awesome for really big prints (11x14 and such) but do they offer more detail? More correct color? Different dof?

Thanks

Bigger prints are certainly a place where you can really see the benefits. In fact, printing big is a great way to improve your skills--it reveals the good and the bad.

You get much more subtle variations of color from one place to the next in plants, skin, clothing, etc giving a more life-like look.

You get more subtle transitions of tone from light to darks. Again, more life-like.

You get less noise and more detail in shadows.

You get a file which is easier to work with in post processing.

In the case of Fuji at least you get phenomenally good lenses.

Out of camera with the GFX, the images look more 3D.

It won't make a person a better photographer to use MF (but printing big will make you a better photographer). But if you do your part, MF can help you produce a better image.

Looking at good images helps develop your eye. Looking carefully at your own work will do that, too. Once you start doing that, you start to see subtle difference which matter to you. At least this has been my experience.

Many elements contribute to a sense of presence in an image (the "3D look") including lighting, post processing, lens qualities, aperture choice, colors, etc. You can get this with any camera if you get things lined up right. MF makes it easier to achieve with less struggle.

Look at the GFX group on Facebook and you will see many good examples. And, yes, you can tell looking at the images in the small, horribly compressed images on FB. It doesn't have to be a big print.

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

Rainyday
Goldmember
1,103 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 05, 2018 17:32 |  #18

They had a demo day at the camera store today and I got to handle the 50r. My goodness, it's a sweet camera! Very good ergonomics and the switches and dials are intuitive to use. It's a breeze to change the focusing point (a feature I use alot) and focusing, while not lightning fast, works fine for simple portraiture.

Fuji is also offering a promotion, discount pricing on some combinations of lenses and camera. It depends on what combo you select, so ask at your favorite camera store.

Honestly, if I had the money, I'd grab one super quick!

SeattleSpeedster
Goldmember
2,914 posts
Gallery: 319 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 05, 2018 22:36 |  #19

Two from the 50s. First is handheld 85 Otus. Second is handheld Contax 50/1.4

Loving the colors, details and tonality

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Fuji GFX50s and A7R II | Zeiss 85mm f1.4 Otus | Zeiss 28mm f1.4 Otus | Zeiss 55mm f1.8 | Canon 200mm f1.8 | Zeiss 100-300mm | Zeiss 16-35mm f4 | Zeiss 135mm f2 | Voigtlander 10mm f5.6 | Zeiss 50mm f1.4 http://www.mikereidpho​tography.com (external link)

Buckeye1
Goldmember
3,339 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined May 2005

Dec 06, 2018 20:08 |  #20

Don’t pay full retail as I can get one a brand new one from an authorized dealer for only $4300 shipped.

F2Bthere
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Dec 09, 2018 01:07 |  #21

Buckeye1 wrote in post #18765835 (external link)
Don’t pay full retail as I can get one a brand new one from an authorized dealer for only $4300 shipped.

A 50r? That is surprising. They are hard to get most places. People who have them and don't want them are selling them for full retail. I'm guessing you could probably find some willing to pay over retail :).

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).

Buckeye1
Goldmember
3,339 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined May 2005

Dec 09, 2018 13:59 as a reply to  @ F2Bthere's post |  #22

I am not sure what you are getting at? They are retail at $4499.

CH_Devin
581 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 12, 2018 14:08 |  #23

Does anyone have experience with the Fuji GFX vs the H X1D? Any comparative operating notes?

50-110mm.

F2Bthere
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Dec 13, 2018 00:45 |  #24

CH_Devin wrote in post #18769561 (external link)
Does anyone have experience with the Fuji GFX vs the H X1D? Any comparative operating notes?

Adapted lenses will work on Fuji. Fuji works well now and will get free firmware updates to work better in the future. Fuji has a clear roadmap and we know what to expect and that the system won't be abandoned. We know a significant upgrade is planned within 1/2 year with IBIS, 100MP, interesting 4K video options and significant AF capability.

X1D some prefer the look of it. There are native leaf shutter lenses. To use such on Fuji an adapter is needed. X1D has fastest native lens.

C&C always welcomed...

sponsored links

1,088 views & 9 likes for this thread
Fujifilm GFX 50r
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Medium Format Digital Cameras and Backs 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.