Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 04 Dec 2018 (Tuesday) 13:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

WORLDWIDE PHOTO WEEK: Part 645 - Examples of DOF

joayne
Cream of the Crop
12,639 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Post edited 13 days ago by joayne.

Dec 04, 2018 13:22 |  #1

Every week we select a new theme, and then go out and shoot that theme. This week the theme is Examples of DOF. As always be as imaginative/creative as you like when interpreting the theme, creativity is what we're looking for.

This could be an indoor or outdoor activity! Show us some examples of Depth of Field!

Here are the rules:
1. Shots need to be taken between Monday Sunset and the following Monday by Sunset (Whenever that is for you ). Because this activity is supposed to encourage us to get out and shoot, please don't post old shots from your archives. Snapshots and art are equally welcome -- just get out & shoot, and then share!
2. Post your shots at any time during the week.
3. Post a maximum of two shots if you're uploading them to POTN (i.e., attaching them). You can post more than two if you're linking to shots that are not hosted by POTN (i.e. embedding them) but keep within POTN rules. Also keep within POTN rules about size. A copy of the size rules can be found here: IMAGE POSTING RULES
That's it! Have fun! As always be as imaginative/creative as you like when interpreting the theme, creativity is what we're looking for.
An index to previous weeks can be found here: POTN WORLDWIDE PHOTO WEEK INDEX

That's it!
Have fun!

joayne Contribute to POTN | Where's Nifty?! #2 |Nifty Sign Up List| Worldwide Photo Week

sponsored links
Timphoto
Creme de la Curmudgeon
8,893 posts
Gallery: 71 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2008
Post edited 12 days ago by Timphoto.

Dec 05, 2018 17:56 |  #2

I recently dropped my old smartphone and it didn't survive. I picked up a Pixel-XL3 and was making some comparisons with my Sony camera. One of the XL3 modes is "Portrait" which does some computational photo magic and adds bokeh, so this little demo seems perfect for this weeks topic.

First 3 shots with the Sony and a Zeiss Loxia 35mm lens at f/2 at about 11 inches distance. From left to right the focus point is front image, the handle, and the rear rim of the cup. A very narrow depth of field at that distance.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

The left side is the original shot, and the right is the XL3 "Portrait" version with the reduced DOF.

Pixel XL3 smartphone 4.44mm, 1/30th, f/1.8, ISO 120

HOSTED PHOTO

Tim

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,542 posts
Gallery: 71 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 05, 2018 21:22 |  #3

Tim, that's a hard act to follow.

So. Shallow DoF with lights and reflections. Taken in hair salon while waiting near front window on cloudy day.

HOSTED PHOTO

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

fotoi
Goldmember
1,314 posts
Gallery: 571 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 06, 2018 10:18 |  #4

Seasonal DOF

HOSTED PHOTO

John_B
Cream of the Crop
7,070 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 06, 2018 12:57 |  #5

A portrait example of Shallow DOF

HOSTED PHOTO

Sony A6500, A6000, Apeman A80, & a bunch of Lenses.............  (external link)
click to see (external link)
JohnBdigital.com (external link)

OldCrow
Goldmember
3,499 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Dec 06, 2018 14:59 |  #6

Pumphouse taken through roadside weeds at f8 and 135mm. Foreground weeds OOF and background brush slightly OOF.

HOSTED PHOTO

Don
---------------
Canon SX50, Pentax K-5, Pentax K30, Fuji S4950

piQturesQue
164 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined May 2014

Dec 07, 2018 01:42 |  #7

fotoi wrote in post #18765466 (external link)
Seasonal DOF
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by fotoi in
./showthread.php?p=187​65466&i=i199996332
forum: Member Activities

Does the sphere float or did you remove something in post? :O

Canon 5D II, Canon 600D, Tamron AF 18-200mm, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM -- Constructive criticism and editing always welcome.

hawaiiboy
Goldmember
1,891 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 07, 2018 03:48 |  #8

Great shots so far folks.

https://www.flickr.com​/gp/hawaiiboy/6V74P7 (external link)
Kevin

fotoi
Goldmember
1,314 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 07, 2018 05:43 |  #9

piQturesQue wrote in post #18765949 (external link)
Does the sphere float or did you remove something in post? :O

The sphere floats in front of the lens. It’s called a Soratama filter. More information available at the following website.
http://soratama.org/en​/ (external link)

piQturesQue
164 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined May 2014

Dec 07, 2018 09:38 |  #10

fotoi wrote in post #18766005 (external link)
The sphere floats in front of the lens. It’s called a Soratama filter. More information available at the following website.

Ooooooh, that's brilliant! I've seen my share of ads for spheres when browsing Instagram, but never have I seen this :D

Canon 5D II, Canon 600D, Tamron AF 18-200mm, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM -- Constructive criticism and editing always welcome.

hawaiiboy
Goldmember
1,891 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 07, 2018 11:24 |  #11

fotoi wrote in post #18766005 (external link)

Wow. That is pretty cool. I have recently been looking at spheres, but I have developed some tremors and shaking that might
make it very hard to hold it steady. This may be the answer. Do you really need to have an extension tube on between the camera
body and the lens?

Kevin

fotoi
Goldmember
1,314 posts
Joined Sep 2012
Post edited 10 days ago by fotoi.

Dec 07, 2018 11:35 |  #12

hawaiiboy wrote in post #18766142 (external link)
Wow. That is pretty cool. I have recently been looking at spheres, but I have developed some tremors and shaking that might
make it very hard to hold it steady. This may be the answer. Do you really need to have an extension tube on between the camera
body and the lens?

Yes, extension tubes are required in order to get the lens to focus. My setup is as follows (lens mount to front of lens): Canon 12 mm and 25 mm extension tubes (although any brand will work), Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L lens, the 20mm Soratama extension tube and finally the Soratama filter with round ball at the very front. The 20mm Soratama extension tube acts as a spacer so the round sphere does not touch the front of the lens. I tried different combinations and this one works with this specific lens. I'm sure there are other combinations that will work though, just takes a little trial and error.

If the Soratama filter was 82mm, I would use it with my EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L ii USM lens, but this particular lens has an 82 mm filter diameter.

hawaiiboy
Goldmember
1,891 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 07, 2018 14:05 as a reply to  @ fotoi's post |  #13

Thanks for the info Fotoi.

Kevin

fotoi
Goldmember
1,314 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 07, 2018 15:08 |  #14

hawaiiboy wrote in post #18766259 (external link)
Thanks for the info Fotoi.

You're welcome.

EastBayGirl
Cream of the Crop
5,670 posts
Gallery: 86 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 10, 2018 13:28 |  #15

Shallow depth of field...

HOSTED PHOTO

Stina
flickr (external link)
Constructive criticism is always appreciated.

sponsored links

592 views & 55 likes for this thread
WORLDWIDE PHOTO WEEK: Part 645 - Examples of DOF
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.