Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 21 Oct 2018 (Sunday) 21:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon vs offbrand battery grip

firme
304 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 21, 2018 21:09 |  #1

I currently have a offbrand battery grip for 80D. I have 2 canon batteries. What I have noticed is that the batteries don't seem to last long on the battery grip. When in use or when stored for a few weeks.

I have an XTI with Canon battery grip and when that was in use, the batteries seem to last longer compare to what I have now. I know its not the same Camera.

Has anyone had experience similar to mine? Wondering if I should consider the Canon battery grip. I have a Vello BG-C10.

sponsored links
johnf3f
Goldmember
4,091 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 23, 2018 16:34 |  #2

Difficult to say. I have a Canon battery grip for my 7D2 and both my Canon and non oem batteries self discharge pretty quickly in it. However they do exactly the same in or out of the camera!

On the other hand the Canon grip came with an AA battery holder. I put some 5-7 year old Sanyo 1900Mah Eneloops in it and haven't looked at my Lithium packs since! These 6 AA cells should roughly equal one LP-E6, but they exceed two and self discharge is not an issue. Before I used these AA cells for my 7D2 I cycled them to see if they were still good as they had been idle for 2/3 years in an unknown state of charge. Well they are claimed to be at least 1900Mah and they delivered 2135 Mah after all that time. My 7D2 runs on these - the Canon Lp-E6n and copies are junk in comparison - just my experiences.

I wonder how the current 2500Mah Eneloops would perform?

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
304 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 24, 2018 11:43 |  #3

Thanks for the reply. I don't use the AA battery tray. I would imagine that it would add a bit more weight. If so, not looking for more weight. Plus not interested in getting AA batteries for the grip. I did get some Eneloops at 2550Mah, but wasn't purchased for that purpose. I guess I would have to test as find out, but they were bought for a Speelite.

Perhaps I got a bad 2nd battery when ordered but then again that is just me rambling without knowing much. Since I don't do much photography, I don't have the luxury to get different off brand batteries and try them out. Maybe some may not have any problems with Canon batteries, but sure feels like I do though. Lol.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,009 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 24, 2018 11:59 |  #4

Another thing to consider with an offbrand grip is button functionality.

I have my cameras set up for back button focus - it is the only way I will use it because it is SO SUPERIOR to shutter-button focus.

Several years ago when I got a third-party grip for my 50D, I tried to use the button(s) on the grip for focusing, and they wouldn't work. . This is only a factor when you are holding the camera vertically and want to use the grip's buttons instead of the camera's buttons, due to the rotated orientation.

Anyway, because back button focus wouldn't work exactly the same way with the grip as it would on the camera, I took the grip off and never used it again because to me it is a worthless piece of waste if I can't use it for vertical back button focusing.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
304 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 24, 2018 12:11 |  #5

Thanks for pointing that out Tom. I haven't experienced this problem with mine. But I used an offbrand when I used it on the XTI which was borrowed and did experience this problem. Ended up using a Canon. Hopefully this one won't have the same problem down the road. Fingers crossed, lol.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,198 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 24, 2018 12:31 |  #6

3rd party grips have come a long way from over a decade ago. They are better, just be sure to read all reviews on a particular brand. I have a Neewer on my 5D4 and it has been flawless for over a year now. There are quality 3rd party and crappy 3rd party, so just do the research.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

troehr
730 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 03, 2018 23:13 |  #7

I have one Canon grip and one Vello grip, both on cameras using the same model batteries. I notice no difference at all in them with battery use or discharge. Then problem I found with the Vello grip though was the end of the battery tray was different. I also use L-brackets on my cameras. The Vello can't be used with my L-brackets, because of the different shaped tray end. It will not fit through the L-bracket.

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,091 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 04, 2018 18:46 as a reply to  @ firme's post |  #8

Yes the AA cells do add a bit more weight, but in my case, much higher performance!

When using my LP-E6 and LP-E6N packs I carry two in the grip and a spare and make certain I charge them when I get home. With my ageing low capacity AA Eneloops I carry no spares and charge them if and when I think about it = very much better performance.

I don't bother with Lithium cells in my 7D2 anymore.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Ltdave
it looks like im post #19,016
3,450 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 05, 2018 01:09 |  #9

the vello/pixel battery grip on my 5D3, tends to have some decent battery drain with the battery in the grip. i now, routinely unlatch the tray, pull it out 1/4" and lay my strap through the gap and it saves the battery...

the vello/pixel battery grip on my 5D4, works wonderfully...

i dont use it so much for the extra buttons ot battery capacity, only for balance and a better grip on the camera. it gives me someplace to rest my little finger when gripping the camera...

The ­ Fox
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 06, 2018 00:13 |  #10

Off brand grips are normally sketchy. They can work great or cause a lot of issues depending on your luck. I have had them work perfectly, but I have also had them cause Error 99 a lot until I got fed up and replaced it with a Canon. My 7d MK II grip was offbrand when I got it but it had this weird habit of making the multi controller hyper sensitive on the camera. It would jitter around and be super hard to use, a full press didnt register but a half press did which is weird on the multi controller. The one on the grip worked perfectly, but if I just turned off the grip it worked fine on the body. I gave up after messing with it and got a Canon grip, works perfectly and I by far prefer the Canon ones as of late. It has better build, and is also weather sealed far better which for me matters a bit. I recommend spending the bit extra if you can find a good used one on the market vs a 3rd party, you can try it but you might end up just wasting your money and have to buy it again.

"I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself" -Diane Arbus
7D MK II Gripped | 7D Gripped |17-50mm F2.8 | 35mm F1.4 | 60mm F2.8 Macro | 135mm F2L | 70-200mm F4L IS |

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
304 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 06, 2018 10:39 |  #11

Perhaps I should remove battery tray or batteries to see if any difference. Sure as heck don't want to risk damaging an $900 camera just to save a few $$. So far, I haven't had any problems with the grip. Knock on wood. Just have to save and get that Canon grip.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,198 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Dec 06, 2018 12:13 |  #12

firme wrote in post #18733829 (external link)
I currently have a offbrand battery grip for 80D. I have 2 canon batteries. What I have noticed is that the batteries don't seem to last long on the battery grip. When in use or when stored for a few weeks.

I have an XTI with Canon battery grip and when that was in use, the batteries seem to last longer compare to what I have now. I know its not the same Camera.

Has anyone had experience similar to mine? Wondering if I should consider the Canon battery grip. I have a Vello BG-C10.

The XTi uses different batteries than the 80D. You cannot make any kind of comparison between the 80D/grip/batteries and the XTi/grip/batteries, two completely different systems end to end. That would be like comparing gas mileage of 2 different sedans from different eras with different engines and different capacity gas tanks and then saying that the newer one must have an issue because it cannot go as far on a fill-up.

I have used countless aftermarket grips through the years, and a vast majority worked just admirably. I am using a Vello on my 5D4 and it has worked for over a year with no issues/hickups/lockups​.

There are some junky ones out there, and even amongst the "name brand" aftermarket, there are a few duds, but that doesn't warrant having fear in using one. Don't be afraid, just keep using it and see if you have any issues long-term. Your camera isn't going to go kaputt because you are using that grip. Also make sure your Canon batteries are both OE batteries and not knockoffs. There have been LP-E6 knockoffs to look just like Canon.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links

3,247 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon vs offbrand battery grip
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.