Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 04 Apr 2012 (Wednesday) 08:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Composition and all that Arty stuff - discussion thread.

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
8,170 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 23, 2018 10:55 |  #3871

Pigpen101 wrote in post #18756975 (external link)
I like #1. Background is more even, so less distracting, and shows the ram more prominent.

Same here. Besides, in the second one, the tree line goes through the ram's neck.

sponsored links
OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,858 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Nov 23, 2018 11:07 |  #3872

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18756970 (external link)
This is from a shoot on Wednesday morning.

I tried to frame the ram very similarly in each shot, but change the vertical angle, so as to place the distant treeline above the ram in one image and below the ram in the other.

Wondering if anyone has thoughts or insights about the differences between the two images.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Tom Reichner in
./showthread.php?p=187​56970&i=i117352815
forum: General Photography Talk

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Tom Reichner in
./showthread.php?p=187​56970&i=i17512052
forum: General Photography Talk

You must have moved sideways, too: the treeline changed its slope, and some seed heads of grasses hit at different places on the ram's chest and legs.

I think the ram looks more majestic when seen from below.

Image #1 has a better shape for the treeline, ascending to the right, which helps to balance the composition, but #2 has a darker tree area. Dark is better because there isn't enough background to keep the ram and his hill from appearing to have been launched into space.

To emphasize the height of Mr. Ram's perch, the placement of the treeline is better in #2.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Owain ­ Shaw
Some of my best friends are people.
2,129 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 23, 2018 13:57 |  #3873

twoshadows wrote in post #18756868 (external link)
Owain,

A photographer takes pictures. Always. You are either a photographer or you are not. Right now you are not allowing yourself to be a photographer. I imagine it is for good reason. Few people have the luxury I do, to concentrate solely on photography without financial or survival constraints. But that luxury did not fall into my lap. I kept my eyes open and worked toward the position I am in. I've made sacrifices. Still I am fortunate and I realize it. The bottom line is, my photography took off the moment I shed all limiting constraints. So I'm going to say to you, with all the kindness in my heart, find a way. Life goes to the courageous. I don't know how young you are, but sometimes you just have to take a leap. I'm not talking about opening a photography studio, etc etc. I'm talking about finding a way to concentrate solely on your photography. It sounds like that is what you are yearning for. I hope you find it. :love:

Kindness,

Julia

PS- I forgot to mention, you are very good at creating beautiful images. I would love to see you concentrate more on that somehow.

Julia,

Sincerely, thank you for your reply, and for your kind words. I definitely think you're right about limiting constraints ... I don't really know how to free myself of them, however. One thing that is clear, I think, is that the solution probably does not lie with the establishment of a Photography studio. :lol:

I think the most immediate solution is also to take some pictures. I'm unlikely to think myself out of the hole, only deeper into it.

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18756925 (external link)
You nailed it, OhLook!

When one views photography solely as an art form, then the reason to take and create photos should be to express one's vision. . As soon as other reasons enter into one's motivation, then the artistic vision is compromised. .

This might be my more negative inner voice talking ... and he talks a lot ... but, I'm not really sure I have anything as grand as a vision. I see stuff and take/make (delete as appropriate) pictures of it, whatever it may be, but I'm not entirely sure this can be aggrandised into a vision.

| New website. (external link) |
| Gear | Flickr (external link) |

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,818 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 3 months ago by Tom Reichner. (2 edits in all)

Nov 23, 2018 14:03 |  #3874

Pigpen101 wrote in post #18756975 (external link)
I like #1. Background is more even, so less distracting, and shows the ram more prominent.

Sibil wrote in post #18756983 (external link)
Same here. Besides, in the second one, the tree line goes through the ram's neck.

I appreciate the analysis. I wasn't thinking in terms of, "which is the better photo?", or "which do I like best?". . . For me, there were two different things that I wanted to show, and I used one photo to show one of those things and the other photo to show the other thing.

OhLook wrote in post #18756990 (external link)
I think the ram looks more majestic when seen from below.
To emphasize the height of Mr. Ram's perch, the placement of the treeline is better in #2.

Yes - exactly!

In the first image, I was looking to showcase the ram himself, as well as the habitat in which he bedded.

In the second image, it was the height of his perch that I was trying to emphasize. . I thought this was best done by showing the distant treeline / ridge top as being below him, rather than above him. . Because I used this distant ridge top as a supporting element, I wanted more depth of field, so that it would show up more prominently in the image.

_______________ _______________ _______________

I think it is important to know exactly what one is trying to say when creating a photo - if one has a specific message that they want to communicate, then they will know exactly how to compose the image, where to position the camera, what depth of field to use, etc. . This is why, when people on this forum ask what lens or what camera is better for this or for that, I usually reply by asking them what their photographic objectives are. . Unless one knows what one is trying to say with one's imagery, then questions about gear and whatnot will never be able to be properly answered.

_______________ _______________ _______________

OhLook wrote in post #18756990 (external link)
You must have moved sideways, too: the treeline changed its slope, and some seed heads of grasses hit at different places on the ram's chest and legs.

I not only moved sideways, I moved a lot closer. . I mean a lot closer! . Although the ram is the same size in the frame in each image, the first image was taken at 278mm, while the second was taken at 135mm. . I moved closer because I had to; because of the slope of the ground where I was standing, the only way I could get lower was to get very close to the ram. . This change in focal length is what created the much increased depth of field in the second image - although both were taken at f8, the much wider focal length rendered a sharper, more contrasty treeline.

This is a prime* example of why I will always contend that zoom lenses provide me much greater creative control than primes.

*Pun intended :-P

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Owain ­ Shaw
2,129 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 07, 2018 07:13 |  #3875

Crisis (external link) update: Somewhat better.

I took some time to study my last few years' worth of output and found that the photographs I was happiest with had generally been taken with an old Manual Focus 50mm lens - or with a film SLR I have which works occasionally and then has to go and rest on a shelf until it feels like working again - and realised that this was likely due to the time and care invested in focussing it properly really slowing me down. These were photographs I had properly engaged with when creating. Time and engagement are the big issues I need to solve.

From there I decided to switch my regular 50mm over to Manual Focus as a decent stop-gap which seemed to work for some pictures I took a couple of weeks ago now.

I think I'd like to go back to film - I seem to enjoy analogue photography more - but will need a scanner and probably some darkroom stuff to keep long-term costs down if I decide to do so. I was a confident Black and White darkroom user at University and High School so developing my own film wouldn't be a big issue. Colour perhaps moreso. I'll be sending my film SLR off to be checked over and hopefully repaired either this month or in the New Year ... once that is working consistently I can start looking at the other stuff ... and maybe a reasonably priced Medium Format (6x6 appeals and Bronicas still sell cheaply) setup. All of this appeals far more than anything new and shiny with lots of megapixels and auto-focus points. Something big and slow will do nicely.

Anyway, this is mostly me sounding out ideas.

moose10101
registered smartass
1,624 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2010

Dec 07, 2018 10:51 |  #3876

Owain Shaw wrote in post #18766023 (external link)
Crisis (external link) update: Somewhat better.

I took some time to study my last few years' worth of output and found that the photographs I was happiest with had generally been taken with an old Manual Focus 50mm lens - or with a film SLR I have which works occasionally and then has to go and rest on a shelf until it feels like working again - and realised that this was likely due to the time and care invested in focussing it properly really slowing me down. These were photographs I had properly engaged with when creating. Time and engagement are the big issues I need to solve.

From there I decided to switch my regular 50mm over to Manual Focus as a decent stop-gap which seemed to work for some pictures I took a couple of weeks ago now.

I think I'd like to go back to film - I seem to enjoy analogue photography more - but will need a scanner and probably some darkroom stuff to keep long-term costs down if I decide to do so. I was a confident Black and White darkroom user at University and High School so developing my own film wouldn't be a big issue. Colour perhaps moreso. I'll be sending my film SLR off to be checked over and hopefully repaired either this month or in the New Year ... once that is working consistently I can start looking at the other stuff ... and maybe a reasonably priced Medium Format (6x6 appeals and Bronicas still sell cheaply) setup. All of this appeals far more than anything new and shiny with lots of megapixels and auto-focus points. Something big and slow will do nicely.

Anyway, this is mostly me sounding out ideas.

You need a TLR. :)

Owain ­ Shaw
2,129 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 07, 2018 12:01 |  #3877

moose10101 wrote in post #18766130 (external link)
You need a TLR. :)

I've only used one once, and very briefly. I'd be up for trying again.

I've dropped my SLR off with an older gent who thinks it needs the mirror replacing, a clean, and if possible he's going to get it to meter again. If all that works then I'll probaby pick up a dev tank in the New Year ... then once my developing operation is off the ground I can start thinking about acquiring other vintage cameras ...

twoshadows
Liquid Nitrogen
6,486 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 07, 2018 13:04 |  #3878

Owain,

I was recently told that I was "an artist whose medium is photography, while most who practice photography are photographers"

I don't think the medium is as important as the recognition that you are an artist. :-)

Good luck with your film venture. You will create beautiful (and tragic) things; important images. (As always) I look forward to seeing your work when you do.

~Julia

xgender.net (external link) Miss Julia Grey - please refer to me as she/her/Miss
Nikkor 28/2, 35/2.8-PC 55/1.2, 55/3.5 - Voigtländer 50/2.8 - Tamron SP 28-80, SP 60-300 - Pentax SMC Takumar 135/2.5, 200/4 - Lensbaby Composer Pro II w/Sweet35mm & Edge50mm | Canon 5DII | Sigma 12-24 - Canon 28-105 II, 85/1.8

Owain ­ Shaw
2,129 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 07, 2018 15:48 |  #3879

twoshadows wrote in post #18766211 (external link)
Owain,

I was recently told that I was "an artist whose medium is photography, while most who practice photography are photographers"

I don't think the medium is as important as the recognition that you are an artist. :-)

Good luck with your film venture. You will create beautiful (and tragic) things; important images. (As always) I look forward to seeing your work when you do.

~Julia

Julia,

Thank you again for your kind words. I'm working on accepting myself as an artist, and I'm in a better place with that than I was a few weeks ago as well.

All the best,

Owain.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,858 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 25, 2018 23:17 |  #3880

This one from today . . .

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

. . . started me thinking strange thoughts about negative space.

The composition is way off center: most of the "action" is to the right of the middle. Things that can point at all are even pointing out of the frame, which is normally a mistake. (Camera was level; the objects tilted.) But I like the composition anyway. How is that?

The big, vaguely textured area of pavement at the upper left is, of course, negative space, but it's begun to look not so negative to me. It seems almost like a "thing" rather than just background. Maybe it contributes to balance. Is there anything to this idea? Can a piece of background function as a presence as well as an absence? If so, is this effect more likely when the background is darker than the subject(s)?

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Pippan
Goldmember
1,387 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Dec 26, 2018 02:41 |  #3881

OhLook wrote in post #18778026 (external link)
The composition is way off center: most of the "action" is to the right of the middle. Things that can point at all are even pointing out of the frame, which is normally a mistake. (Camera was level; the objects tilted.) But I like the composition anyway. How is that?

I do too, and frequently compose pictures with the subject way off centre. I think it often unbalances the picture and creates tension--sometimes even drama--that I like and that I think makes the composition more interesting.

— Please feel free to offer your thoughts on how I might improve my images —

sponsored links

405,971 views & 102 likes for this thread
Composition and all that Arty stuff - discussion thread.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.