Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 05 Dec 2018 (Wednesday) 23:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Marking Lens Caps for ID ... EF vs. EF-S ... Etc ... got ideas & methods ?

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,831 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 2 months ago by mdvaden.

Dec 05, 2018 23:38 |  #1

Have any of you marked your lens caps to tell one from the other in your bag or case? Like EF from EF-S or 85mm vs. 35mm, etc.. Even before getting the EOS R, I often found myself pulling several lenses to see what's what in my bag for focal length. Now I have EF and RF mounts. I'm thinking of marking my rear caps since I usually face front cap downward. Any ideas for marking that's not too messy looking?

As I begin to think about this, I'm wondering if swapping lenses and rear caps may make marking front caps better and facing the front of the lens upward.

Thanks

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

sponsored links
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Post edited 2 months ago by cdifoto.

Dec 05, 2018 23:46 |  #2
bannedBack in 14 days

I don't have that many and can identify them by shape and length.

Not a bad idea if you have a boatload of similar lenses though.

As for actually doing it, you could get a stencil and white paint marker.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,276 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 2 months ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Dec 06, 2018 00:02 |  #3

It would be useful to distinctly mark 'different mount'...R mount vs. EFS mount vs. EF mount, so that you do not pull a lens out which cannot be mounted on the body which you are using.

You could use gold Shapie to fill in the circular indentation on the lens and body cap of R mount, and silver Sharpie to fill in the circular indentation on the cap of EF mount
... which keeps the filled area edge well defined and neat.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,831 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 06, 2018 19:37 |  #4

Shopped Amazon for various labels last night. Today, in a local store called Bi Mart, I found a small package of reflective labels that gave me a head start. Rather than label every lens for focal length, I decided to identify things that confuse me most often. When I shoot from roads in the redwoods, I often have my Tamron 24-70 and 70-200 uncapped and on two bodies. So I marked one more broadly to ID its wide angle. Otherwise the long zoom can't get confused with anything. The other two Tamron, the 35mm and 85mm have interchangeable caps so no need to mark those.

I used orange to identify RF lense caps like the RF 50mm 1.2 and also the rear RF caps including for the EF > RF adapters. I marked yellow on a couple other Canon lens caps mostly to know they don't go on an RF lens.

There are also circular adhesive labels about 1/2 inch wide that could be written on and placed on every lens cap for focal length, but I think this two color label thing fine-tunes deciphering things for me when I have several lenses out, caps off, etc.. If I add a couple more lenses, I may put a 1/2 circle label on each lens cap. I see a good chance of getting the RF 24-105mm and maybe close to a Canon 24mm.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,815 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 06, 2018 22:48 |  #5

I don't do anything to mark my lenses.

I couldn't even imagine confusing one of my lenses with any of the others .... each one is so different.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,831 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 06, 2018 23:00 |  #6

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18765896 (external link)
I don't do anything to mark my lenses.

I couldn't even imagine confusing one of my lenses with any of the others .... each one is so different.

Yes .. I share equal mad skills too when it boils down to just the lens when enough is visible.

It's the caps all facing up, some lenses with padding beneath, that make every canon base cap look the same. When they go face down. And when I have 4 camera bodies mounted with lenses and several caps laying around, I find some very similar but not identical.

I had considered facing the lens end upward, but find the other end of the lens easier to grip.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 06, 2018 23:22 |  #7
bannedBack in 14 days

What you can't tell them apart by the mount?

:rolleyes: :p

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,831 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 2 months ago by mdvaden. (3 edits in all)

Dec 06, 2018 23:46 |  #8

cdifoto wrote in post #18765906 (external link)
What you can't tell them apart by the mount?

:rolleyes: :p

But the EF-M are pretty easy though. If I happen to get the Rokinon EF-M 12mm 2.0 it will stick out like a beacon with all the red color on it and narrow base.

The caps set aside used to baffle me for a moment previous, when several lenses were uncapped. But it's when I got the RF lens and RF adapters and started adding-in the RF rear caps near EF rear caps loose. That's when I felt the need to speed identification.

I wouldn't want to paint front lens caps, but I can imagine a smooth coat of color on the outside of the rear caps to color code RF from EF from EF-S

RhodyPhotos
869 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Dec 07, 2018 09:54 |  #9

That's a nice problem to have :-) Even with my diminishing eyesight, there is no way I can mistake one lens for another in my meager collection!

CC always welcome.

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,351 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 07, 2018 11:55 |  #10

The little, Brother thermal label makers are great for this sort of thing.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,831 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 07, 2018 20:03 |  #11

Snydremark wrote in post #18766166 (external link)
The little, Brother thermal label makers are great for this sort of thing.

Thanks for sharing. I saw those on Amazon but was unsure, and may not need text yet. But after your suggestion, then reading more, I noticed some provide for INDOOR and OUTDOOR label use. That suggests the labels would handle use for lens or camera gear and hold up to moist fingers etc.. handling.

sponsored links

819 views & 3 likes for this thread
Marking Lens Caps for ID ... EF vs. EF-S ... Etc ... got ideas & methods ?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.