Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 06 Dec 2018 (Thursday) 20:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Jaguars in the Pantanal

Bogino
488 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 06, 2018 20:10 |  #1

Spent a couple weeks in Brasil last month along with a week in The Pantanal and was very fortunate with my Jaguar sightings. Here are a couple samples.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 7D Mark II; Canon 70-300mm "L"; Canon 100mm Macro; Tamron 24-70mm; Tokina 11-16mm 2.8

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,764 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 2 months ago by Tom Reichner.

Dec 06, 2018 20:33 |  #2

I've been waiting to see these for quite some time!

So glad to see you had success on your venture, and that you were finally able to post some Jaguar images for us.

Thanks!

EDIT: It'd be nice if you could post the gear used EXIF info for each shot (especially focal length used), and maybe tell us a little about each of these opportunities.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

PhotosGuy
75,746 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Dec 06, 2018 22:25 |  #3

Bogino wrote in post #18765837 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Bogino in
./showthread.php?p=187​65837&i=i256508010
forum: Wildlife

Both are nice, but I like this one a lot!

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

skagitrat
259 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Dec 07, 2018 21:46 |  #4

Very nice

Joe
flickr (external link)

Lt ­ Colonel
626 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 08, 2018 07:26 |  #5

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18765842 (external link)

So glad to see you had success on your venture, and that you were finally able to post some Jaguar images for us.

Thanks!

EDIT: It'd be nice if you could post the gear used EXIF info for each shot (especially focal length used), and maybe tell us a little about each of these opportunities.

I agree. Being a photography forum, I'm surprised by the number of photos posted without EXIF info.

5DIII, 6D, 7D2, 5DMKIV,1DMK4,EOS-M,1DX
https://woodawg.smugmu​g.com/ (external link)

Bogino
THREAD ­ STARTER
488 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 08, 2018 10:08 |  #6

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18765842 (external link)

Thanks!

Happy to try and provide EXIF infor if I knew how to do that. (I'm not a Pro like many of you). If you could provide a link or information on how to do that I'm happy to oblige.
Also--please clarify what you mean about "each of these opportunities".

Thank You.

Canon 7D Mark II; Canon 70-300mm "L"; Canon 100mm Macro; Tamron 24-70mm; Tokina 11-16mm 2.8

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,764 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 2 months ago by Tom Reichner. (2 edits in all)

Dec 08, 2018 10:30 |  #7

Bogino wrote in post #18766707 (external link)
Happy to try and provide EXIF info if I knew how to do that. (I'm not a Pro like many of you). If you could provide a link or information on how to do that I'm happy to oblige.

It's not really so complicated. . All you need to do is to tell us the gear you used and your basic settings, such as:

Canon 7D Mark 2 with the Canon 70-300mm L at 226mm.

Taken at 1/200th of a second at f5.6 and 800 ISO.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about providing a link .... it's just you telling us what you used for each shot, that's all.

Bogino wrote in post #18766707 (external link)
Also--please clarify what you mean about "each of these opportunities".

Well, you posted two photos, so we know that you had at least two opportunities to photograph jaguars .... perhaps several more. . It would be really interesting to hear "the story behind the photo".

Perhaps discuss how you searched for them - on foot, via boat, via car, etc.

Then maybe discuss the situation when you first saw the jaguar - what it was doing, how far it was, what obstructions were between you and the cat, how it responded to your presence, etc.

Then perhaps tell us what you did to get yourself in position for the photo - did you stalk through the vegetation to a point where you finally had a clear shooting lane?, or did you wait quiet and still for the cat to come out into the open?

You know, just basically tell the story and the details behind it all. You had what seems to be an amazing adventure, and I'd be very interested in hearing all about it! I'm sure others would be interested, as well.

Of course, if you care to post more photos, we would LOVE to see them, as well!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Bogino
THREAD ­ STARTER
488 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 09, 2018 11:10 |  #8

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18766719 (external link)
It's not really so complicated. . All you need to do is to tell us the gear you used and your basic settings, such as:

Canon 7D Mark 2 with the Canon 70-300mm L at 226mm.

Taken at 1/200th of a second at f5.6 and 800 ISO.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about providing a link .... it's just you telling us what you used for each shot, that's all.

Well, you posted two photos, so we know that you had at least two opportunities to photograph jaguars .... perhaps several more. . It would be really interesting to hear "the story behind the photo".

Perhaps discuss how you searched for them - on foot, via boat, via car, etc.

Then maybe discuss the situation when you first saw the jaguar - what it was doing, how far it was, what obstructions were between you and the cat, how it responded to your presence, etc.

Then perhaps tell us what you did to get yourself in position for the photo - did you stalk through the vegetation to a point where you finally had a clear shooting lane?, or did you wait quiet and still for the cat to come out into the open?

You know, just basically tell the story and the details behind it all. You had what seems to be an amazing adventure, and I'd be very interested in hearing all about it! I'm sure others would be interested, as well.

Of course, if you care to post more photos, we would LOVE to see them, as well!

I shot virtually all my photo's in Pantanal with my 7D Mark II and my Canon 100-400mm Version II. I also had a 6D Mark II and 2 other lenses which I wound up barely using at all. Most of the jaguar images were shot with ISO around 300 - 350; f/5.6 (give or take) and speed around 500. Generally the weather was cooperative. Hardly any rain at all, partially cloudy most of the time and sunny some of the times.

I spent 8 days in the Pantanal and 5 of those were specifically jaguar tracking on a small boat. In the Pantanal it is not permitted to go on foot. I also chose to pay a few extra $$ and go "solo" with just my guide rather than in one of those group tours. There was a bit of anxiety the day before I arrived in Cuiaba (gateway to Pantanal) as my scheduled guide contacted me to let me know he would not be able to go with me since he needed to have emergency gall bladder surgery and would therefore have to have one of his colleagues take me. This made me nervous since I knew nothing about my newly assigned guide. In any event, things happen for a reason and in hindsight I was very fortunate to have wound up with an Outstanding guide (born and raised in Pocone) who really knew his sh*t. As a result, during our 5 days on the river we saw more jaguars than I had thought I would (probably 7 - 9 in total. We traveled the Cuiaba River and its smaller connecting rivers typically starting around 7:00 am until about 4:30 without taking a break for lunch. Most of the jaguar tour operators take their guests back to their lodges for lunch so there is a 2 to 3 hour window when you can be on your own with no other boats in sight (not that there are that many to begin with). In our case on 1 occasion there was a brief thunderstorm during lunch hour so we pulled over underneath some trees and waited it out (about 20 minutes). When the storm passed the wildlife in general seems to come to life and we spotted 1 lone jaguar walking along the riverbank and we were able to track him/her for over 30 minutes (including watching the jaguar cross the river) with no one else around. It was great. In most cases we were able to get to between 30 to 50 feet of the jaguars at the closest. The most challenging part as far as photography was the obstruction of high grass and trees. It required a lot of patience to capture those few moments when the jaguar was completely out in the open. Because the Pantanal is a refuge and the jaguars and other wildlife are protected the cats don't seem to be the least bit afraid of people. Over the years, the cats have come to realize that people are not threatening so it makes spotting them a lot easier. Once you get out of the Pantanal that is a very different story and spotting jaguars (or other big cats) is very difficult. Besides the jaguars there is an unbelievable array of birds and other mammals. One of the biggest thrills was capturing a Giant Anteater carrying her baby on her back. My guide, who has lived there his entire life was doing flips when we saw that (I was the one that actually spotted the Giant Anteater). It wasn't the excitement of seeing the Anteater but the rarity of capturing one carrying a baby on its back.

Rather than post a lot of different pictures on this forum (I think the limit is only 2 per thread) I'm providing a link to "Pantanal 2018" which has about 80 images, including a few of Iguassu Falls where I chose to relax for a few days.

Hope this is what you were seeking Tom.

https://bogino.smugmug​.com/Pantanal-2018/ (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,815 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 09, 2018 11:19 |  #9

Bogino wrote in post #18767417 (external link)
Rather than post a lot of different pictures on this forum (I think the limit is only 2 per thread) . . .

More than two are allowed if viewers ask for more. I'm asking! Do you have that anteater handy?

The limit per post is two if uploaded, eight if embedded.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Bogino
THREAD ­ STARTER
488 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 09, 2018 11:26 |  #10

OhLook wrote in post #18767424 (external link)
More than two are allowed if viewers ask for more. I'm asking! Do you have that anteater handy?

The limit per post is two if uploaded, eight if embedded.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,764 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 09, 2018 11:53 |  #11

Bogino wrote in post #18767417 (external link)
Hope this is what you were seeking Tom.

Oh, yes, it certainly is!

Ever since you told us several months ago that you would be doing this trip I have been very interested. . I couldn't wait to hear about it and to see the photos you were able to get. . Sounds like a really wonderful time that you had in a very unique venue. . A wildlife photo trip like no other!

Thanks so much for taking the time to tell us about it.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,815 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 09, 2018 13:32 as a reply to  @ Bogino's post |  #12

That's really something special. Nothing about how anteaters care for their young had ever crossed my mind. A solitary anteater just doesn't seem very parental.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

juanward
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Dec 2018

Dec 11, 2018 01:59 |  #13

Exceptionally beautiful ! My favorite & a true jaguar in his element. Absolutely love his dangerous eyes.

Juan Ward
Google Street View (external link)
Silence is the most powerful scream.

Littleoldman
239 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 11, 2018 20:59 |  #14

Fantastic

rosh4u
171 posts
Joined Jun 2017

Dec 13, 2018 00:20 |  #15

Wow! Really nice pictures, I like the second one close-up look! :)

Roshni Patel Co-founder of Auto Stamper (external link)

sponsored links

1,040 views & 44 likes for this thread
Jaguars in the Pantanal
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.