Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

John_T
Goldmember
3,098 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Dec 08, 2018 09:46 as a reply to  @ post 18766660 |  #1366

Chet needs a dog? ;-)a

Canon : EOS R : 5DIV : 5DS R : 5DIII : 7DII : 40 2.8 : 50 1.4 : 35L : 85L : 100L IS Macro : 135L : 16-35L II : RF-24-105L IS : 70-200L II : 100-400L IS II : 1.4x & 2x TC III : 600EX-RT : 580EX : 430EX : G1XII : Markins Q10 & Q3T : Jobu Gimbal : Manfrotto Underware : etc...

sponsored links
nqjudo
Goldmember
3,161 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 08, 2018 11:56 |  #1367

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #18766618 (external link)
Just wait until the next shakeup advances into the MILC market. We're already seeing glimpses of it in the current crop of mirrorless ILCs (Was crop a bad pun? :-D ).

Imagine a world where we shoot an 80-100 meg file and everything is in perfect focus. A world where it no longer takes a 4 pound lens to capture it. And a world where you click on a subject in software and assign a number for bokeh for everything else. We're already seeing glimpses of it in the current generation of mirrorless, and that little square tube camera called Lytro. I have one on my shelf somewhere. Go read about that thing if you haven't already. That technology is coming into play again because it's no longer ahead of its time.

Computational photography is going to change the photography landscape as we have known it for 50 years and mirrorless is just the next evolutionary step into that foray. The next phase of the evolution isn't that far off. Probably over the next 2-5 years and the dynamics of this landscape will be one we won't even recognize anymore. It's a great time to be alive.

We can already get a file size much bigger than 100 megs with something far smaller than a 4 pound lens. Computational photography already allows for this with focus stacking. No tripod needed. Even macro shooters are getting everything in focus now using high FPS and moving the camera handheld. Bokeh simulation is so good now that most people are very hard pressed to tell the difference even with highly manipulated images like fake tilt-shift. Everything from lens corrections, sharpening, NR, perspective corrections to complex operations like HDR is computational. If you recall from your Lytro one of the problems was that moving the focus point too far from the original caused a lack of sharpness in parts of the image where it wasn't desired. Lytro wasn't ahead if its time. Lytro failed because it couldn't compete against phones that did the same thing with much more resolution (something Lytro users were screaming for). There was also far better bokeh simulation available elsewhere. Computational photography will continue to evolve but as we saw with the last iPhone release advanced users are still going to want to decide how and when to implement it.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

KlausM
122 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2014

Dec 08, 2018 13:13 |  #1368

Pondrader wrote in post #18766436 (external link)
are you getting a little weather ?? Sometimes it snows

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Pondrader in
./showthread.php?p=187​66436&i=i144190797
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

In rain and sleet - you have to be on your feet!
Pool little fellow.
I love your squirrels :-)

Best regards Klaus

Molson1020
148 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 08, 2018 14:05 |  #1369

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1964/31294971957_7f5e06757a_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/PFqU​S2  (external link) You said it Santa... (external link) by Matt Olson (external link), on Flickr

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
15,718 posts
Gallery: 2422 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 2 months ago by Pondrader.

Dec 08, 2018 14:10 |  #1370

KlausM wrote in post #18766803 (external link)
In rain and sleet - you have to be on your feet!
Pool little fellow.
I love your squirrels :-)

Best regards Klaus

Not to worry...... Chet and Mr Wilson have squirrel problems ... but we don't...

I think we are gun shy of this 75mb sensor because we are shooting 30mb sensors and cameras that can only do 5 frames per second and crazy other limitations and their talking 75mb...

Seriously.... have some aliens landed at Canon and given them some blue print for a miracle.... Really .... maybe we need to get this more reasonable effort right before we dream of greener hills...

All but laughable really.... 75mb TWO shots a second lol :oops:

Here you go Chet.... I'm to busy to play in the bush... and hey.. A target is a target.. Sun is shining and I have no time... bummer

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,565 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 08, 2018 14:24 |  #1371

Pondrader wrote in post #18766831 (external link)
All but laughable really.... 75mb TWO shots a second lol :oops:

That's plenty of speed for some kinds of photography.

If it comes in a version with an AA filter, it may find a market among those who don't like medium format digital because of the aliasing. 75MP FF with an AA filter would result in the lowest possible color moire in any commercial digital camera APS-C or larger, especially FF or larger.

Capn ­ Jack
Goldmember
2,245 posts
Gallery: 983 photos
Joined Mar 2010
Post edited 2 months ago by Capn Jack.

Dec 08, 2018 15:39 |  #1372

John Sheehy wrote in post #18766840 (external link)
That's plenty of speed for some kinds of photography.

If it comes in a version with an AA filter, it may find a market among those who don't like medium format digital because of the aliasing. 75MP FF with an AA filter would result in the lowest possible color moire in any commercial digital camera APS-C or larger, especially FF or larger.

Depending on the sensor technology I think we won't need an AA filter for 75 mp in a full-frame sensor size. Using the Bayer color pattern, that is fairly close to the optical limits. Diffraction might eliminate the need for an AA filter. I think some cameras now come without an AA filter- one of the 5D lines, I think.

Larger than full frame, an AA might be helpful.

These sensors seem interesting-
https://www.gigajot.te​ch (external link)

Pondrader
15,718 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 08, 2018 15:51 as a reply to  @ John Sheehy's post |  #1373

Its a waste of effort in a time where the competition is crushing you like a bug. Sony will not have such a rig... The younger more aggressive demanding young photographer is where the money is going to be.. Not the 70 year olds looking to snap a pic of the sunset. Most have moved to their cell phone already...

Thats why the R is received with such disgust... Its only the morons like myself willing to live with the short comings of this sweet little mirrorless

flickr (external link)

LoneRider
Goldmember
1,589 posts
Gallery: 205 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited 2 months ago by LoneRider.

Dec 08, 2018 18:47 |  #1374

Day trip to Vancouver BC, overcast and rain showers. Happened to stop in at Henry’s Camera though and pleased to find they had the Control Ring Adapter in stock. Because of their 12% exchange rate, I only saved about $2 with the exchange rate, but now I have one in hand while Adorama and BHPhoto continue to be out of stock.

Wayne...
~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
GEAR LIST

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,812 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 08, 2018 20:07 |  #1375

Pondrader wrote in post #18766895 (external link)
Its a waste of effort in a time where the competition is crushing you like a bug. Sony will not have such a rig... The younger more aggressive demanding young photographer is where the money is going to be.. Not the 70 year olds looking to snap a pic of the sunset. Most have moved to their cell phone already...

Thats why the R is received with such disgust... Its only the morons like myself willing to live with the short comings of this sweet little mirrorless

Many of the 70 year olds I know are a quantum leap beyond the young neophytes you just mentioned. One older guy I know, and another middle age mentor know so many ins and outs of gear it could make my head spin. They enjoy good gear, but don't necessarily need gear that bandages certain short comings.

The idea you laid forth is a delusion among the photographers I've networked with the past 10 years or so.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,812 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 08, 2018 20:11 |  #1376

LoneRider wrote in post #18766986 (external link)
Day trip to Vancouver BC, overcast and rain showers. Happened to stop in at Henry’s Camera though and pleased to find they had the Control Ring Adapter in stock. Because of their 12% exchange rate, I only saved about $2 with the exchange rate, but now I have one in hand while Adorama and BHPhoto continue to be out of stock.

Wish I could be in that city right now. Its where I was born, but I grew up in the USA. Vancouver is a rather nice city. Visited relatives and friends on a yearly basis and camped nearby a couple times.

RE the adapter, I see Amazon has one in stock. Got mine on Amazon weeks ago. But the one I see has the price jacked about 25%

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

LoneRider
Goldmember
1,589 posts
Gallery: 205 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 08, 2018 20:20 |  #1377

Another of the wife and her cat...

HOSTED PHOTO

Wayne...
~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
GEAR LIST

Pondrader
15,718 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 08, 2018 20:38 |  #1378

mdvaden wrote in post #18767015 (external link)
Many of the 70 year olds I know are a quantum leap beyond the young neophytes you just mentioned. One older guy I know, and another middle age mentor know so many ins and outs of gear it could make my head spin. They enjoy good gear, but don't necessarily need gear that bandages certain short comings.

The idea you laid forth is a delusion among the photographers I've networked with the past 10 years or so.

Its not about Knowledge my friend.. Camera sales have dropped to 1985 numbers as of last year for canon... The general population is using their phones instead of buying a stand alone camera..

So I wonder where the money is going to come from for the expectations set forth,... I do hope I'm wrong, But in no way am I talking about the older generation understanding the tech.

I think you misunderstood.

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,812 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 2 months ago by mdvaden. (2 edits in all)

Dec 08, 2018 21:38 |  #1379

Pondrader wrote in post #18767043 (external link)
Its not about Knowledge my friend.. Camera sales have dropped to 1985 numbers as of last year for canon... The general population is using their phones instead of buying a stand alone camera..

So I wonder where the money is going to come from for the expectations set forth,... I do hope I'm wrong, But in no way am I talking about the older generation understanding the tech.

I think you misunderstood.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Pondrader in
./showthread.php?p=187​67043&i=i73759437
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

If I misunderstood, it must have been me thinking you meant 70 year olds migrated to cell phones. When I read your post the first time, I thought you meant the older abandoned gear and got cell phones, when evidently you meant the younger did. That would make more sense. Because most of my younger photographer friends have less advanced cameras and gear, and latest greatest cell phones. Then the older guys I know have $10,000 to $50,000 invested in cameras, often upgrading. In the graph, 2009 was the year after the housing market crashed. Interesting in 2017, there's a slight rise.

But its worth taking this full circle to your previous reply about the R. And at least using Japan for an indicator, Canon gained 20% of full frame mirrorless sales this year, and there's only one FULL FRAME camera Canon could have done that with. That would seem to be the antithesis of "disgust". An over 20% gain in a few months is pretty decent. I don't think I misread your "disgust" sentence.

Pondrader
15,718 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 08, 2018 21:42 |  #1380

mdvaden wrote in post #18767084 (external link)
If I misunderstood, it must have been me thinking you meant 70 year olds migrated to cell phones. When I read your post the first time, I thought you meant the older abandoned gear and got cell phones, when evidently you meant the younger did.

That would make more sense. Because most of my younger photographer friends have less advanced cameras and gear, and latest greatest cell phones. Then the older guys I know have $10,000 to $50,000 invested in cameras, often upgrading.

Exactly.... Who are we going to get to finance our next generation Camera ?? I would be happy with getting what we have working smoothly instead of the dream of more megapixels.

And if your 70 and don't have a cell phone... Well you might as well forget about it.

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

196,657 views & 5,994 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.