Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 09, 2018 06:03 |  #1381

DigitalTuned wrote in post #18767171 (external link)
Silent Night
Salem Common
Salem MA
12/9/18

Lens: Vintage Osawa 35-70mm Macro

QUOTED IMAGE

That is a super shot Isaac...

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
LoneRider
Goldmember
2,204 posts
Gallery: 416 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 09, 2018 07:51 |  #1382

What they^^ said!

Wayne...
~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
Cano EOS R, EOS 80D, Panasonic G9, GX9, and a bunch of glass...

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,747 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 09, 2018 07:59 |  #1383

Capn Jack wrote in post #18766885 (external link)
Depending on the sensor technology I think we won't need an AA filter for 75 mp in a full-frame sensor size. Using the Bayer color pattern, that is fairly close to the optical limits. Diffraction might eliminate the need for an AA filter. I think some cameras now come without an AA filter- one of the 5D lines, I think.

Larger than full frame, an AA might be helpful.

The red and blue channels alias quite a bit with the size of pixels in a 75MP FF and commonly used f-numbers with a Bayer CFA. It's not just a matter of half the sampling frequency in those channels compared to the luminance; they don't have box filters, because they do not border each other, but have other colors between them.

These sensors seem interesting-
https://www.gigajot.te​ch (external link)

I didn't have the silicon know-how to implement the 1-bit sensor, but I thought of the geometric/photographic idea years before I ever heard of the QIS work. In fact, I was ridiculed for the idea in the early 2000's on Usenet's alt.photograhy.digital by one of the foremost digital imaging experts of the time for suggesting that the ideal sensor would detect just one photon in each photosite in billions or trillions of them. His silver bullet to my idea was that a maximum signal of 1.0 means an SNR of 1.0, and therefore, 0 stops of DR. This guy missed the image for the pixels, he was so wrapped up in the sample-centric math and ignoring the practical meaning of its application..

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,590 posts
Gallery: 328 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 09, 2018 09:03 |  #1384

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18767112 (external link)
It really doesn't say anything new IMHO,. other than that the RF may be even better, but Canon has been consistent in it's stated reasoning for NOT including IBIS all along.

In short, Canon has always claimed that in lens IS is "better"

That the RF mount offers even more room for in lens IS improvement does not change the claim.
I have never debated the claim, but would still like to see IBIS for all the lenses that do not have IS built in.

I was playing yesterday with my A7R3 and the 24-240 OSS and my EOS R with my 10 year old 70-200 f4 IS. At about 200mm, the Canon was far more stable just through the viewfinder. I think Canon knows what they are doing.

Canon EOS M6 - EOS R - EF, EF-M and RF lenses
Donate for Forum Costs

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,590 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 09, 2018 11:38 |  #1385

I'm slightly amused at this point that I own 5 EF lenses and I don't own a single native EF mount camera anymore. I have 3 FE lenses and an MC-11. 2 RF lenses and an RF adapter. Then 3 EF-M lenses and an EF adapter. Honestly it makes more sense since I can use the EF lenses on any of my bodies.

Donate for Forum Costs

DigitalTuned
All these thoughts give me nightmares
4,702 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Nov 2010
Post edited 9 months ago by DigitalTuned. (2 edits in all)

Dec 09, 2018 14:43 |  #1386

nardes wrote in post #18767204 (external link)
Nice shot, the stars in the BG adds to the overall atmosphere.:-)

Cheers

Dennis

Pondrader wrote in post #18767241 (external link)
That is a super shot Isaac...

Shortaction wrote in post #18767265 (external link)
Great shot!

LoneRider wrote in post #18767285 (external link)
What they^^ said!

Thank you all

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
facebook - (external link) - 500px (external link)

Dlee13
Goldmember
4,145 posts
Gallery: 610 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 09, 2018 15:03 |  #1387

randy98mtu wrote in post #18767438 (external link)
I'm slightly amused at this point that I own 5 EF lenses and I don't own a single native EF mount camera anymore. I have 3 FE lenses and an MC-11. 2 RF lenses and an RF adapter. Then 3 EF-M lenses and an EF adapter. Honestly it makes more sense since I can use the EF lenses on any of my bodies.

I've actually considered selling off my EF lenses for a simple reason, the RF mount. Although I'm shooting Sony now, I am sure I will get a Canon body in the coming years and I feel it might be best to sell it all off and replace the lenses with RF versions before the value drops on EF lenses.

Sony Alpha A7III - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art - Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 - Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro
Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 16-35mm f4L IS -
Canon EOS M5 - Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 - Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 - Canon EF 11-22mm f/4-5.6 STM

Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,590 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 09, 2018 16:46 |  #1388

Dlee13 wrote in post #18767567 (external link)
I've actually considered selling off my EF lenses for a simple reason, the RF mount. Although I'm shooting Sony now, I am sure I will get a Canon body in the coming years and I feel it might be best to sell it all off and replace the lenses with RF versions before the value drops on EF lenses.

I have the same thoughts yet I keep buying lenses. Lol

Donate for Forum Costs

WilsonFlyer
677 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 09, 2018 17:52 |  #1389

Irony being the last part of his statement. As the prices of EF lenses are certain to go down. I hate dilemmas. Do I quick kick or do I wait and punt?

I did pre-order the RF 24-105L a couple of days ago just to have one native/designed for lens. The 35 is pretty attractive for the price and it's a macro to boot. Never owned a prime outside the Nifty Fifty and the EF 40 pancake. What to do about the 35? I can't afford the 50 or the 24-70, as much as I'd love to have either or both.

I will say this. The CR adapter has breathed new life into my EF and EF-S lenses. Amazing really. These lenses are much better than I even ever thought. Thinking it has something to do with the micro adjustment thing I never bothered to do with anything else I have ever owned and is unnecessary with the R. Maybe there was something to it all along after all. :-D

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,282 posts
Gallery: 77 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 09, 2018 18:07 |  #1390

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #18767661 (external link)
Irony being the last part of his statement. As the prices of EF lenses are certain to go down. I hate dilemmas. Do I quick kick or do I wait and punt?

I did pre-order the RF 24-105L a couple of days ago just to have one native/designed for lens. The 35 is pretty attractive for the price and it's a macro to boot. Never owned a prime outside the Nifty Fifty and the EF 40 pancake. What to do about the 35? I can't afford the 50 or the 24-70, as much as I'd love to have either or both.

I will say this. The CR adapter has breathed new life into my EF and EF-S lenses. Amazing really. These lenses are much better than I even ever thought. Thinking it has something to do with the micro adjustment thing I never bothered to do with anything else I have ever owned and is unnecessary with the R. Maybe there was something to it all along after all. :-D

I have the lion's share of lenses that I really need for RF and EF bodies. The RF 24-105mm is one highest on my want to get list. As for future prices of EF lenses, that's something I curious to follow whether or not I buy any. I'm guessing some will drop and some will hold value. For example, the 85mm 1.2 works even better on the EOS R, and if Canon doesn't make an RF 85mm 1.2, I can imagine that prime holding the same selling price. Maybe like the Canon EF 50mm 1.2, the price could rise.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

Dlee13
Goldmember
4,145 posts
Gallery: 610 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 09, 2018 18:08 |  #1391

randy98mtu wrote in post #18767620 (external link)
I have the same thoughts yet I keep buying lenses. Lol

I guess it's a bit of an experiment for you then! I wonder when they will replace the 100L with an RF version? The EF version is hitting 10 years old now and is popular so I think it could be updated sooner than later.

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #18767661 (external link)

Sony Alpha A7III - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art - Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 - Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro
Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 16-35mm f4L IS -
Canon EOS M5 - Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 - Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 - Canon EF 11-22mm f/4-5.6 STM

Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

DigitalTuned
All these thoughts give me nightmares
4,702 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Nov 2010
Post edited 9 months ago by DigitalTuned.

Dec 09, 2018 18:19 |  #1392

Bewitched Christmas
Salem Witch Museum
Salem MA
12/9/18

Lens: Vintage Osawa 35-70mm Macro

IMAGE: http://i64.tinypic.com/16j3tbs.jpg

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
facebook - (external link) - 500px (external link)

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,598 posts
Gallery: 466 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited 9 months ago by C Scott IV.

Dec 09, 2018 18:21 |  #1393

Just guessing but I suspect 16-35 and 70-200 relatively soon because they are so widely used. I might go for the 16-35. Eventually 70-300 and 100-400. I might go for either of those but don't really have to because I have the 28-300L and 100-400L in EF.

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships." Ansel Adams

WilsonFlyer
677 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 09, 2018 18:24 |  #1394

C Scott IV wrote in post #18767675 (external link)
Just guessing but I suspect 16-35 and 70-200 relatively soon because they are so widely used. Eventually 70-300 and 100-400.

I've believed ever since this announcement that the 70-200 III was more about a prep for the R than anything else. My bet is it's nothing more basically than a mount change at this point. I think they're just waiting on production and some grandeous moment to announce it. Surprised it hasn't been spotted in the wild to be honest with you. Maybe it has. After all, the adapter is so small, someone would really have to be paying attention to see it if somebody was under NDA.

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,598 posts
Gallery: 466 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 09, 2018 19:02 |  #1395

A particularly red sunset lighting some Bald Cypress. No saturation added.

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Public/2018-Landscape/i-pzSGzZd/0/fc84eafb/X3/20181121-0752-X3.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.cscott4.co​m …018-Landscape/i-pzSGzZd/A  (external link)

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships." Ansel Adams

sponsored links

695,207 views & 11,517 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.