Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 10 Dec 2018 (Monday) 18:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help with new flash

packpe89
731 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 10, 2018 18:15 |  #1

I have not gotten much new flash equipment in several years. My 420EX died recently and decided to get a new flash. I decided to try non-canon and purchased a Godox TT685C and also purchased the XProC trigger to go with it (arriving later this week). My other flash is a 550EX. I like to shot off camera flash and have used my 550 to master the 420 on my 5D and the on-board flash to master the 550 and 420 on the 7D.

Can I still use the two flash setup with the equipment I'm getting?

One thing I like about the Godox system is shooting RF for range (Like for tele outside portraits, IR does not work well). How can I use the 550EX with RF? Do I also need to get a X1T-C to attached the 550 to? If so, is everything still E-ttl?

If not, what are your suggestions?

Thanks
Joe

Canon 7D, 40D, 300f2.8L, 70-200f2.8L IS, Sigma 30f1.4, 60EF-S 2.8 Macro, 15-85EF-S , Sigma 10-20, A couple of flashes, strobes and stuff.

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 10, 2018 18:45 |  #2

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …c_ttl_wireless_​flash.html (external link)

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Lotto
Goldmember
2,739 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 11, 2018 02:08 |  #3

The X1 receiver can be used to trigger the 550EX. From my limited testing (5Dc + 580EX), ETTL seems to work. But X1 trigger can not remotely control the power level on Canon flash older than the 580EX II. I would suggest that play with XproC and the TT685C first to see if controlling the off camera flash in manual mode is important to you, and maybe skip the X1 receiver and get other Godox flash instead.

5D, 24-105L, 70-200L IS, 85mm Art, Godox

inkista
653 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 11, 2018 05:15 |  #4

packpe89 wrote in post #18768342 (external link)
... My other flash is a 550EX. I like to [Shoot] off camera flash and have used my 550 to master the 420 on my 5D and the on-board flash to master the 550 and 420 on the 7D.

Can I still use the two flash setup with the equipment I'm getting?

Yes, but not over radio. The TT685-C can be either master or slave in the Canon "smart" optical system the Canon EX speedlights use. So you can use it the way you used the 420EX as an optical slave to either the 550EX or the 7D's pop-up.

One thing I like about the Godox system is shooting RF for range (Like for tele outside portraits, IR does not work well). How can I use the 550EX with RF? Do I also need to get a X1T-C to attached the 550 to? If so, is everything still E-ttl?

You'd need an X1R-C receiver, but the Godox radio triggers basically use the flash/camera menu communication signals to control the flashes, so it really only works fully with flashes that you can control directly through the camera menu (i.e., 580EXII, 430EXII and later models). The 550EX is likely to be only partially compatible, and (if they're like the Yongnuo YN-622 triggers) may only work in TTL.

It might be better to simply get a second TT685-C if you want to go the radio triggering route. It's more expensive, but will be fully compatible, and a built-in trigger is much more convenient/stable in setups than an add-on receiver. And, since the TT685C has a built-in transceiver, you can also use the TT685-C as both an on-camera flash and a radio transmitter for the other TT685C off-camera.

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

steveglass
34 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2018

Dec 11, 2018 06:57 |  #5

I'm not sure if the Godox trigger will signal the Canon to flash, BUT remember. Anything with a PC Sync port, or just a jack for a reciever, can utilize a reciever that would work with your Godox. Also, and even easier is the Optical Slave function that most speedlights have. You can set your speedlight to manual with the optical slave on, and when another flash fires the slave triggers the flash.
If you're using off camera flash having a speedlight in manual is often the way to go anyway.

http://www.steveglassp​hotographer.com/ (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,198 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed. (3 edits in all)

Dec 11, 2018 07:05 |  #6

Instead of spending $40 to fire the flash and/or deal with issues of remote setting, sell the 420 and spend $60 to get the TT350. They are pretty close in performance, and the Godox will work with everything you just bought. You will be ahead financially and emotionally. :)

https://www.adorama.co​m/fplfsmmain.html (external link)

Double the money and get another TT685, and then get even more output than the 420.

https://www.adorama.co​m/fplfsmzca.html (external link)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

soeren
Whoops Im not updated
699 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2017
Post edited over 1 year ago by soeren.

Dec 11, 2018 07:08 |  #7

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18768670 (external link)
Instead of spending $40 to fire the flash and/or deal with issues of remote setting, sell the 550EX and spend $60 to get the TT350. They are pretty close in performance, and the Godox will work with everything you just bought. You will be ahead financially and emotionally. :)

https://www.adorama.co​m/fplfsmmain.html (external link)

Double the money and get another TT685, and then get even more output than the 420.

https://www.adorama.co​m/fplfsmzca.html (external link)

There you go :) The 420 EX is dead

If history has proven anything. it's that evolution always wins!!

sponsored links

1,125 views & 2 likes for this thread
Help with new flash
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.