Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 06 Dec 2018 (Thursday) 08:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Benro or Vanguard?

tmalone893
Goldmember
2,018 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 06, 2018 08:25 |  #1

The Benro GA 158FB1 and the Vanguard 264 AB100 or on sale at Adorama and BH Photo. I'm looking for a new tripod with a large load capacity. I want to be able to mount my Canon 400 F/2.8 on either. I'm not looking to spend a mint as I do very little tripod work. Does anyone have experience with either of these or have another recommendation? Thx!

Name: Theron
MaxPreps Profile (external link)
My Gear

flickr (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/theronmalone/ (external link)

sponsored links
johnf3f
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 06, 2018 15:48 |  #2

This is not meant to sound sarcastic - but please tell me you are joking!

Surely you would not risk such a nice lens on a "Mickey Mouse" tripod. Start with a 3 series Gitzo or RRS - don't bother with this tat , get a tripod that will work.

Please don't waste your money/risk your lens on one of these.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,834 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011
Post edited 9 months ago by Phoenixkh.

Dec 06, 2018 18:01 |  #3

Theron, Tripod advice is often the hardest to follow, but if you are able to accept it from John, you’ll end up saving tons of money in the long run.

How do I know this? I’m guilty of thinking I was smart enough to figure out a way to save money and still get the quality I needed. After two unsuccessful attempts, I now have a very nice RRS setup that’s a pleasure to use.

With the flip of a lever, I can go from a ball head to a gimbal in a few seconds.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

tmalone893
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,018 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 06, 2018 19:49 |  #4

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't trying to be cute or funny. I don't use tripods but once in a blue moon. I'm just looking at what the description on load capacity. This is the reason I reach out to the forum, looking for some guidance. I will avoid these two and continue to look. As stated earlier, I don't want to drop $1K into a tripod. If I can't find one in a reasonable price range without risking my camera and lens, then I'll go without.

Thanks!

Theron

My Gear

flickr (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,154 posts
Joined May 2003

Dec 06, 2018 21:17 |  #5

The Benro on Amazon only has 9 reviews and a few are negative and involve a tripod collapse after a few months. The Vanguard has 962 reviews many of which seem to address stability issues.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,449 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 07, 2018 08:52 |  #6

You can buy a "Mickey Mouse" tripod new, it will be relatively unstable initially then ultimately fail. Then you buy another one, and after that another. Or, you can look around for a used quality tripod made by Gitzo or RRS and buy once and ultimately save money. Yes, they're expensive but they will last a very long time. Gitzo tripods are well liked on this forum and you can find used Gitzo and other good tripods in the Classifieds: For Sale. Also a great read on tripods is Thom Hogan's Tripod 101 (external link).

~Peter

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 07, 2018 18:23 |  #7

tmalone893 wrote in post #18765824 (external link)
Thanks for the replies. I wasn't trying to be cute or funny. I don't use tripods but once in a blue moon. I'm just looking at what the description on load capacity. This is the reason I reach out to the forum, looking for some guidance. I will avoid these two and continue to look. As stated earlier, I don't want to drop $1K into a tripod. If I can't find one in a reasonable price range without risking my camera and lens, then I'll go without.

Thanks!

Theron

I didn't mean to offend - perhaps I worded my post a little strongly?

My concern is that you do not waste money and get unsatisfactory results.

The first rule in buying a tripod is forget weight ratings - they are meaningless. For example the older 3 series Gitzo tripods (eg my, ex, G1329 Mk2) were rated at 12 kilos bot were tested at about 100 kilos, certainly mine would easily support me at 110 kilos! On the other hand my Manfrotto 055XPRO could be collapsed and folded away without releasing the leg locks - which would you prefer to put your lens on?

As to $1k on a tripod? Well I freely admit to being a bit of a tripod junkie and I spent quite a bit! About $1300 in your money (EEK!) however that was for three brand new Gitzo tripods, a new Gitzo Mono Pod and a used Gitzo Traveller - expensive? The cheapest tripod that I have ever bought was the above mentioned used G1329 Mk2 Systematic which was $127 at today's exchange rates. You may have to be patient but good quality tripods do come along at sensible money - just not that often.

tmalone893
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,018 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 07, 2018 20:01 |  #8

johnf3f wrote in post #18766396 (external link)
I didn't mean to offend - perhaps I worded my post a little strongly?

My concern is that you do not waste money and get unsatisfactory results.

The first rule in buying a tripod is forget weight ratings - they are meaningless. For example the older 3 series Gitzo tripods (eg my, ex, G1329 Mk2) were rated at 12 kilos bot were tested at about 100 kilos, certainly mine would easily support me at 110 kilos! On the other hand my Manfrotto 055XPRO could be collapsed and folded away without releasing the leg locks - which would you prefer to put your lens on?

As to $1k on a tripod? Well I freely admit to being a bit of a tripod junkie and I spent quite a bit! About $1300 in your money (EEK!) however that was for three brand new Gitzo tripods, a new Gitzo Mono Pod and a used Gitzo Traveller - expensive? The cheapest tripod that I have ever bought was the above mentioned used G1329 Mk2 Systematic which was $127 at today's exchange rates. You may have to be patient but good quality tripods do come along at sensible money - just not that often.

Thanks! With as long as I have been doing photography, one would think I would know a few things about tripods. I just don't..... I have a small travel SLIK, bought it years ago for long exposure pics, and a Manfrotto monopod that holds that 400m with no issues. I just wanted something to take some moon pics and possibly a few wildlife photos. I'm a sports guy so I'm lacking in the knowledge of good legs. Thanks again for the replies and info.

Theron

My Gear

flickr (external link)

peter_n
Goldmember
2,449 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 08, 2018 08:34 |  #9

My first tripod was a Slik too! It was aluminum. That was a long time ago, then I didn't use it that much - just on vacations really so it lasted a long time. My second was a used Gitzo and I've bought and sold a lot of tripods since then. I think your best bet is don't buy lunch every other day and hunt for a used Gitzo, the best two places to look are the classifieds on this forum and on the FM forum (fredmiranda.com).

You'll also need a decent ballhead as well - very few tripod manufacturers make good ballheads and vice-versa. I don't use Canon equipment but an f2.8/400 sounds like it's heavy, and probably expensive too. There are lots of choices and many threads on ballheads on this forum. Just make sure that you get a head that employs the Arca-Swiss clamping and rail system which is virtually universal now. Stay away from the Manfrotto heads, they have a different clamping system that is not well regarded.

~Peter

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,822 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 9 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Dec 11, 2018 09:49 |  #10

Gitzo, RRS, Induro Grand series; https://www.indurogear​.com …cts/grand-induro-tripods/ (external link)

For that lens you want series 3 or larger (3, 4, or 5) in Gitzo or Induro.
I'm not clear on the RRS numbering.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

J ­ R ­ Mohan
320 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Joined May 2008

Dec 11, 2018 10:28 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #11

Agreed. Benro are not reliable. Even the brand new ones give trouble.

Mark-B
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 17, 2018 18:13 |  #12

J R Mohan wrote in post #18768786 (external link)
Agreed. Benro are not reliable. Even the brand new ones give trouble.

I bought one of the original Benro Travel Angels around 8 years ago when I needed something small and light to take on a hiking trip in the mountains. I've carried that thing across the country and back shooting in all kinds of conditions. It held up admirably and I would still be using it today had I not lost it in the desert somewhere. I recently bought a Benro TMA48CXL tripod because I needed something that would reach over 7 feet tall and I'm pretty impressed with it. I fully expect to get the same 8 years or more from this one as I did the last one.

Mark-B
msbphoto.comexternal link

Mark ­ K
304 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jun 2013

Dec 19, 2018 21:37 |  #13

Sounds stupid but I am on my third Benro..And will not recommend it to anyone. I also have a bunch of similar products with different brand tags..They all work but all have different issues. And the only reliable one is Gitzo.

Canon, Nikon, Sony, Minolta, Fujifilm, Sigma, Tamron & Tokina

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 20, 2018 16:50 |  #14

Mark K wrote in post #18774406 (external link)
Sounds stupid but I am on my third Benro..And will not recommend it to anyone. I also have a bunch of similar products with different brand tags..They all work but all have different issues. And the only reliable one is Gitzo.

Totally agree!
I have found Gitzo to be cheaper in the long run, and cheaper in the short run too! I can't afford the Benro/Induro etc tripods. Note I buy very carefully!

Silver-Halide
819 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Dec 21, 2018 21:51 |  #15

Gitzo is better than RRS?

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

sponsored links

2,533 views & 18 likes for this thread
Benro or Vanguard?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.