Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

deglopper
52 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 13, 2018 10:26 |  #1516

Pondrader wrote in post #18770060 (external link)
Wonder does anyone know of a program to edit video that won't cost $10us a month to own ???

Yes - at the just playing around with it stage, Windows Movie Maker is free (if you're on Windows), and there are a number of open source options which are more powerful but perhaps harder to learn, such as avidemux, and a newer one called OpenShot that looks decent.

sponsored links
randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,568 posts
Gallery: 327 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 13, 2018 10:45 |  #1517

deglopper wrote in post #18770072 (external link)
I need to go back and try Fv more - I started out using it, but I felt like settings were randomly getting bumped into and out of auto, perhaps due to the touch bar always being active. I've now set the touch bar to magnify, so I notice if it gets bumped! Either ISO or exposure comp seem like the best things to put on the control ring.

Constant AF runs the AF all the time, even when you're not touching the shutter button or AF-On button. Servo AF is similar but only when the focus button is held down, and with the addition of focus tracking. Page 278 in the manual - "This function keeps subjects generally in focus. The camera is ready to focus immediately when you press the shutter button halfway. Enabling this function reduces the number of shots available, because the lens is driven continuously and battery power is consumed."

That feels like the exact opposite of back-button focus and not something I would usually want turned on.

You need to go into the custom controls for the direction pad. When I initially turned on Fv I had the same thing. The direction pad was set to turn certain settings back to Auto. I changed it so only pressing left on the direction pad sets the selected setting to Auto.

Canon EOS M6 - EOS R - EF, EF-M and RF lenses
Donate for Forum Costs

SereneSpeed
932 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 13, 2018 10:45 |  #1518

Pondrader wrote in post #18770060 (external link)
Wonder does anyone know of a program to edit video that won't cost $10us a month to own ???

Davinci Resolve - Free

And it's just as good as Premiere Pro.

https://www.danbcreati​ve.com (external link) - Commercial Work
http://unabashedbeauty​.com (external link) - Boudoir/NSFW

WilsonFlyer
581 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 13, 2018 11:36 |  #1519

Just a thought. For those of you playing with Fv mode, try putting Focus type on the touchbar and ISO on the control ring. I have been very pleased with this as it allows me to control focus type quickly, even though I don't change it that much, and having ISO on the control ring has been a God send to Fv mode. It's almost like having the perfect manual camera with help when you need it in a hurry to get a shot.

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
15,920 posts
Gallery: 2495 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 13, 2018 13:35 |  #1520

bbqkid8 wrote in post #18770074 (external link)
Pondrader, I've kinda been following the posts on this forum... correct me if I'm wrong, but you bought this camera then ended up returning it? Did you end up buying it back again? I shoot similar subject matter and I've been looking to go into full frame with either the R or the 5d IV. I like the IQ on the R, but the FPS worries me for BIF and the sports that I shoot... that has me leaning towards the 5dIV.

yes ... and its a big change from the Dslr... Its not going to be a 7DII in responsiveness to focus on small fast moving birds, but everything else seems to be very good. Its got different qualitys to the raw file and I'm really liking it.

The way I see the FPS is with the Dslr I need 10 fps to feel happy because of the phase detect AF was always hunting for best focus and we would get the little this way little that way then one good one... Where the Dual pix AF of the R is more precise and holds that focus not needing to rock back and forth as much it would seem. So every image in a string is more in line with a good one.

Honestly I got really tired of having so much to go through once the cards were dumped on the iMac. I'm very ok with the success rate with the R and only see it getting better as I get use to the camera.

I think the R has so many more things going for it over the 5Div that its not a contest really.

For birds in flight I have no opinion yet becks I haven't had any real opportunity or time to give it a go.
I have shot some crows as they fly by at unreasonable distances for any camera.

The fact you can put a extender on any lens and AF as if it wasn't there is very cool. no more MFAing and slowing of AF for this camera.

I do not feel any reach lose using the R as it all seems to work its self out in the end.

I can only recommend you get your hands on both and pick the one that suits you best.

If your a one camera guy then it really has to be comfortable in all aspects of what you do.

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

Pondrader
15,920 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 13, 2018 13:40 |  #1521

LoneRider wrote in post #18770103 (external link)
First time I used Fv was short lived as well. My fault though, as I didn’t really understand it and I am not a big manual reader when I get a new toy. Seemed to mimic P which I never use, so skipped on by. 90+% of my shooting is in Av. Once I read how it actually works and played with it I realized the genius of it. I intend to try and use it as my default for a while to get the hang of it.

I had already set up back button focus, and as fast as the focus is the constant AF seemed unnecessary. Doesn’t take an electrical engineer to realize battery life will suffer with it, but also seems like a lot of unnecessary wear and tear on the lenses AF motor.

I agree a 100% that BB focus is not as necessary with the R.... I was a die hard BB focuser and right now I am not and dont feel I need or want it. It just feel counter productive at the moment.

flickr (external link)

Pondrader
15,920 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 3 months ago by Pondrader.

Dec 13, 2018 14:24 |  #1522

After typing the last post I walked outside and shot 200 images ... I guess you can tell me if its sharp and accurate and and if 200 in a couple minutes is enough.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)

WilsonFlyer
581 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 13, 2018 14:30 |  #1523

Pondrader wrote in post #18770246 (external link)
I agree a 100% that BB focus is not as necessary with the R.... I was a die hard BB focuser and right now I am not and dont feel I need or want it. It just feel counter productive at the moment.

Actually agree with that 100%. I am finding myself not reaching for BF more and more with this camera. It's just different, and like you, I just don't feel like I need it anymore. It's hard to explain until you've touched it and actually used it.

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,568 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 13, 2018 14:32 |  #1524

Pondrader wrote in post #18770268 (external link)
After texting the last post I walked outside and shot 200 images ... I guess you can tell me if its sharp and accurate and and if 200 in a couple minutes is enough.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Pondrader in
./showthread.php?p=187​70268&i=i152053771
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Pondrader in
./showthread.php?p=187​70268&i=i222826770
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Funny looking squirrels.

Donate for Forum Costs

WilsonFlyer
581 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 13, 2018 15:05 |  #1525

randy98mtu wrote in post #18770272 (external link)
Funny looking squirrels.

Endearing though, don't ya think? :-D

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,568 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 13, 2018 15:39 |  #1526

So since we don’t want to seem biased, I will say the battery life on this thing is disappointing. Not to a point where it is unusable, but definitely needs to be charged more often. Not sure if I would say it is noticeably better or worse than the A7R3.

Think I’m finally convincing myself to just let my kit settle for a while. I love all of my cameras now and I just want to play with them all more.

Donate for Forum Costs

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,568 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 13, 2018 15:40 |  #1527

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #18770295 (external link)
Endearing though, don't ya think? :-D

Don’t you mean “en-deer-ing”?

Donate for Forum Costs

WilsonFlyer
581 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 13, 2018 16:23 as a reply to  @ randy98mtu's post |  #1528

I was trying to be a little more subtle. Guess I should have spelled it that way after all. :-D

Pondrader
15,920 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 13, 2018 16:42 |  #1529

Did I tell you I have squirrels around here. ?? I'll go take a couple snaps for ya

flickr (external link)

Pondrader
15,920 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 13, 2018 16:47 |  #1530

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #18770331 (external link)
I was trying to be a little more subtle. Guess I should have spelled it that way after all. :-D

randy98mtu wrote in post #18770318 (external link)
Don’t you mean “en-deer-ing”?

Umm I just told these two Deer about you two...

This is their responds

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

274,698 views & 7,264 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.