Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 13 Dec 2018 (Thursday) 08:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do I really need 4k monitor?

gnnbtrn
678 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 13, 2018 08:11 |  #1

I was going to move my computer table to a new room and the question about new monitor came up.

Currently I have Dell Ultrasharp 24" that is a good monitor.

I am thinking about something bigger, 34' monitor.

I have found used monitor LG 34UM61 for a good price $200.
However, I started to look around and I liked 4k monitors how they look at the store.

I definitely want a bigger size, I might watch movies in my office.

If I want to upgrade my monitor, what would be a good deal
used LG for $200

or

something new, 4k, I think I can spend on int $400-500, but not more

Thanks

[o]Canon 1Ds Mark II = My Flikr (external link)
(o) EF 24-70mm f/2.8L; EF 70-200mm f/2.8L; EF 85mm f/1.8; Sigma 12-24mm f/3.5-4.5
|*| Canon 580EX II; Nikon SB-26; CRT-301
/|\ Manfrotto 055B; Kirk BH-3

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,791 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 13, 2018 10:51 |  #2

gnnbtrn wrote in post #18770025 (external link)
I was going to move my computer table to a new room and the question about new monitor came up.
Currently I have Dell Ultrasharp 24" that is a good monitor.
I am thinking about something bigger, 34' monitor.
I have found used monitor LG 34UM61 for a good price $200.
However, I started to look around and I liked 4k monitors how they look at the store.
I definitely want a bigger size, I might watch movies in my office.
If I want to upgrade my monitor, what would be a good deal - used LG for $200 or something new, 4k, I think I can spend on int $400-500, but not more.

High resolution is a godsend for working on photos, but it will not help with streaming content such as movies, because the content that is sent to your device is not high enough resolution for the 4k capabilities to be utilized.

But with photo work I have found high resolution monitors to be invaluable. . A 4k or 5k monitor will spoil you, and you won't ever want to work on photos on anything less, ever again. . And it's not only good for editing photos - it is excellent for viewing them and enjoying them, as well, and provides a much better experience than using a "normal" monitor.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,297 posts
Gallery: 155 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 2 months ago by CyberDyneSystems. (2 edits in all)

Dec 13, 2018 12:40 |  #3

gnnbtrn wrote in post #18770025 (external link)

I am thinking about something bigger, 34' monitor. ...

Thanks

A friend of mine was the engineer for SONY that designed the first "Jumbo-Tron" in Times Square,.. I'll get you his phone number.. ;)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,305 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 13, 2018 21:59 |  #4

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18770144 (external link)
High resolution is a godsend for working on photos, but it will not help with streaming content such as movies, because the content that is sent to your device is not high enough resolution for the 4k capabilities to be utilized.

But with photo work I have found high resolution monitors to be invaluable. . A 4k or 5k monitor will spoil you, and you won't ever want to work on photos on anything less, ever again. . And it's not only good for editing photos - it is excellent for viewing them and enjoying them, as well, and provides a much better experience than using a "normal" monitor.

I'm going to get a new iMac in the spring and have been debating this. Thanks for the info.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,305 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 13, 2018 22:03 |  #5

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18770207 (external link)
A friend of mine was the engineer for SONY that designed the first "Jumbo-Tron" in Times Square,.. I'll get you his phone number.. ;)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,349 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 14, 2018 01:26 |  #6

"4k" can be really nice for all of the reasons Tom listed; however, I would caveat it by saying the monitor also needs to be large enough. Several years back I upgraded to a 30in Dell Ultrasharp IPS (2560x1600), before "4k" was a thing and I refuse to go back to 27" and smaller. Just be sure you're getting a real monitor (not a TV). The TVs are built to be super bright, high contrast and super punchy colors, all of which can really mess with your ability to accurately edit your images and mostly do not have the necessary controls for proper color calibration.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

gnnbtrn
THREAD ­ STARTER
678 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 14, 2018 13:03 |  #7

Thanks for input everyone!

Definitely will be looking for 4K only, any brand/model recommendations?
I dont think I can spend more than $500 on it

Also, does 4K need some kind special videocard?

I do not remember what I got now

[o]Canon 1Ds Mark II = My Flikr (external link)
(o) EF 24-70mm f/2.8L; EF 70-200mm f/2.8L; EF 85mm f/1.8; Sigma 12-24mm f/3.5-4.5
|*| Canon 580EX II; Nikon SB-26; CRT-301
/|\ Manfrotto 055B; Kirk BH-3

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,297 posts
Gallery: 155 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 2 months ago by CyberDyneSystems. (4 edits in all)

Dec 14, 2018 13:22 |  #8

You will need to check that your current video card (or onboard video on most motherboards) can handle 4K. It probably can. but better to check first. If your budget is $500.00, and you do need a new card, might be time to reconsider 4K?

So while I'm on it, I'll post some negatives for 4 or 5K. They won't be popular, but they are facts that might effect your decision.

- For me, my opinion only, having a reliable monitor with decent size and resolution and VERY GOOD Color (IPS) outweighs the need for 4K by orders of magnitude. If budget isn't a factor, this may not be a huge concern, but once it is, then one should balance carefully.

ie: to get that one spec, don't compromise on what you really need.

- I prefer QHD to 4K, particularly when viewing images from legacy cameras that had as low as 4MP, and crops from more modern cameras. In any case, regardless of image res, I'd much rather have my images interpolated down, than blown up to see them.
On more modern high res images, when I go 100% view it gets me in for more detail.

- My other issue with 4K is I am using an older OS (windows 7) that is not as friendly with scaling text, and regardless of OS, many apps are pants at it too. EG; Photoshop (if you have a licensed legacy version vs. a subscription) is one such app that becomes virtually impossible to use with some high res screens due to inability to scale the text/tools etc. This is true on my Windows 10 install, not just older 7.

I've been very happy with my NON 4K Dell UltraSharp U2715H 27-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor ;
https://smile.amazon.c​om …_detailpage?ie=​UTF8&psc=1 (external link)

And WOW did that price come down with the popularity of 4K!!! :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,954 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 14, 2018 15:15 |  #9

i have the Dell UP2715K which has the same panel as the 5K 27" iMac that Tom uses. It also has very good colour accuracy, so again that is sorted. The Dell 5K does need special hardware support, special dual DP 1.2 outputs from specific Nvidia cards, GTX 960 and above. As Jake says Hi DPI support in Windows pretty much requires Win 10 for best results. For programs that use the normal Windows APIs the support is trouble free, my only issue with using Office 2007 is the really tiny splash screen as it starts. The programs that you get the most issues with tend to be either open source ones, which handle all the screen drawing internally so they are easier to deal with in cross platform environments. Adobe products also seem to fall into this situation, where Adobe do all the screen drawing too, again probably to make cross platform to Apple easier. I think you just get HiDPI support on the last of the perpetual licence versions of both Lr an Ps. I know that Lr is OK, it's Ps that may miss out.

Would I go back? Never, but I would like it if I could have a dual UP2715K set up. I would need an extra video card, as well as another monitor to do it though.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 2 months ago by davesrose.

Dec 14, 2018 17:29 |  #10

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18770144 (external link)

This depends on your broadband speed and streaming device. With a computer, you can watch UHD content on Youtube (be it commercial movies, or a lot of new content that's now 4K). I've noticed a lot of streaming apps or websites limit themselves to 1080P on a computer. On a dedicated device like a Roku, they stay with what content you have though. If you've bought UHD/Dolby Atmos movie through Vudu or Fandango, it will be output that way (I think the main limitation that's still apparent with web browsers is concern about copyright). Netflix and Amazon also have 4K content. I don't know why premium channels such as HBO don't have 4K streaming yet.

As for photography, I also agree that UHD is great. I've found the extra detail does make it easier to determine DOF and areas of focus.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 14, 2018 17:45 as a reply to  @ BigAl007's post |  #11

Alan, if you have issues with an older program not scaling in Windows 10, I've found over-riding high DPI to "System (enhanced)" to be the best solution for scaling legacy apps (it's under the compatibility tab in the program's property dialogue). I'm still using it for a few apps, and have found it keeps text crisp and scales windows and icons nicely.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,349 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 14, 2018 18:36 |  #12

gnnbtrn wrote in post #18770851 (external link)
Thanks for input everyone!

Definitely will be looking for 4K only, any brand/model recommendations?
I dont think I can spend more than $500 on it

Also, does 4K need some kind special videocard?

I do not remember what I got now

I would reconsider 4k carefully if you're capping budget at $500. As CDS calls out, you really want a good IPS screen as a primary attribute of whichever monitor you get. IPS + 4K from anyone making/using decent hardware is probably going to run well above that $500. That Dell he linked to is probably way better "bang for your buck" than anything you'll get with 4k on the current budget.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,807 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited 1 month ago by mwsilver.

Dec 24, 2018 22:34 |  #13

davesrose wrote in post #18771010 (external link)
This depends on your broadband speed and streaming device. With a computer, you can watch UHD content on Youtube (be it commercial movies, or a lot of new content that's now 4K). I've noticed a lot of streaming apps or websites limit themselves to 1080P on a computer. On a dedicated device like a Roku, they stay with what content you have though. If you've bought UHD/Dolby Atmos movie through Vudu or Fandango, it will be output that way (I think the main limitation that's still apparent with web browsers is concern about copyright). Netflix and Amazon also have 4K content. I don't know why premium channels such as HBO don't have 4K streaming yet.

As for photography, I also agree that UHD is great. I've found the extra detail does make it easier to determine DOF and areas of focus.

Yep. You saved me the trouble of responding with some of that same info. I have a 28 inch Samsung 4K monitor and would find it difficult to go back.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,807 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 24, 2018 22:43 |  #14

Snydremark wrote in post #18771026 (external link)
I would reconsider 4k carefully if you're capping budget at $500. As CDS calls out, you really want a good IPS screen as a primary attribute of whichever monitor you get. IPS + 4K from anyone making/using decent hardware is probably going to run well above that $500. That Dell he linked to is probably way better "bang for your buck" than anything you'll get with 4k on the current budget.

For what its worth, the LG 27UD58-B 27-Inch 4K UHD IPS Monitor with FreeSync is an IPS monitor for only $350 new on Amazon. I'm not personally familiar with this monitor, but it is IPS for only $350. I'm guessing a 32 inch would be a lot more.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,069 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 24, 2018 23:45 |  #15

I've been following this thread with interest.
Lots of good info.

Most likely I'll buy a 4K monitor. But what size? Most run between 27 to 34 inches.

I'll use it for photo editing only. No games, movies, or net surfing. I have other devices for that.

It will be placed on my desk. Is bigger always better? Could 34 inches be too large?

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

sponsored links

2,519 views & 9 likes for this thread
Do I really need 4k monitor?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.