Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 23 Dec 2017 (Saturday) 09:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Well...I came close...and did not pull the trigger

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,459 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 13, 2018 13:50 |  #46

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18770229 (external link)
I would say that Adorama was precisely right in what they told you. . Physical appearance typically has no affect on the image-making abilities of a lens.

My 400 f2.8 looks "all beat up" on the outside. . Yet it is in excellent mechanical and optical condition. . The Image Stabilization works flawlessly, as does the autofocus. . And the optics are, of course, just as good as they were when they left the factory when the lens was new.

I wouldn't let the appearance of a lens' exterior affect my decision to purchase or not to purchase the lens. . What the lens looks like DOES NOT play any role in whether or not it is sound internally. . The little bumps and abrasions that cause the paint to get chipped and scratched do not cause any adverse affects to the internals of the lens.

Lenses are just tools, nothing more. . They are not collectors' items.

Some of my friends have pickup trucks that are all beat up on the outside. . Yet these trucks are mechanically sound and simply never have any drivetrain or suspension problems, nor any electrical problems. . They perform with marvelous reliability, despite being all dinged up. . It really does work the same way with cameras and lenses.

Yup you are right. But these were really Beat up:cry:. Kind of sad to think someone didnt take batter care of the gear so I tend to stay clear and pay a little more. I like the 7-8 range w/o a lot of cosmetic dings. I take really good care of my equipment but would jump at something if i could get a good deal.

Jake thanks for the link. I saw your review. I have more to think about

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,392 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 2 months ago by TeamSpeed. (6 edits in all)

Dec 13, 2018 14:49 as a reply to  @ post 18770147 |  #47

I have no idea what Mike's situation is, if he is self employed or works for a photo firm. So my answer could apply depending on what that answer is. Either you made an assumption about what Mike is doing with his gear and for whom, or you know more about him than I do.

EDIT: So yes, after drilling through Mike's posts and URL, I can see he and Karen own Unique Moments Photography, so I concur that my comment doesn't apply to him, but others might find it vaguely interesting. The lens could be purchased and written off completely in one year, or spread across several as a dep. asset. I don't know the pros/cons of either option, I write everything off in the first year.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

MatthewK
Goldmember
3,641 posts
Gallery: 631 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 13, 2018 16:45 |  #48

nqjudo wrote in post #18770110 (external link)
I think we're all in the same boat. I was seriously eyeing the 400 DOII but then I was curious about the 500. I ended up trying both the 500 I and II but now I'm thinking RF mount -?. It's a bloody confusing time for such a big investment. FWIW I found the 500 II vastly superior. The II was a win for the reduced weight + 2 - 2.5 stops of IS alone but the optics really are better. Comparing the two is the 100-400 I vs II all over again.

It's a really difficult time to buy...I recently felt that pain when I sold my 600 II :cry: If you're the type that's always wanting the latest and greatest, afraid that your gear will be upstaged by the next new thing, then right now purchasing ANY EF gear is a bad choice. On the other hand, if you are deliberate and only buy what you need, keep it for a long time, and are satisfied with what's available, don't let the specter of RF scare you off. Good deals to be had on what was up until recently, super expensive gear.

400 DO II vs. 500 II... depends on your subject. If small birds (like me), longer focal length wins every time. If you're cheating and have tame backyard feeder birds, shoot huge shorebirds, or furry wildlife, I'd go with the DO II. Personally, I never found any IQ difference between the two, but there is considerably greater subject isolation w/ the 500, and 200mm more reach when used w/ 2x TCs. Buy the reach + aperture for your needs, IQ isn't a disqualification for any of these big whites :)

"NEW YEAR, NO G.A.S"

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,162 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 14, 2018 14:29 |  #49

MatthewK wrote in post #18770337 (external link)
It's a really difficult time to buy...I recently felt that pain when I sold my 600 II :cry: If you're the type that's always wanting the latest and greatest, afraid that your gear will be upstaged by the next new thing, then right now purchasing ANY EF gear is a bad choice. On the other hand, if you are deliberate and only buy what you need, keep it for a long time, and are satisfied with what's available, don't let the specter of RF scare you off. Good deals to be had on what was up until recently, super expensive gear.

400 DO II vs. 500 II... depends on your subject. If small birds (like me), longer focal length wins every time. If you're cheating and have tame backyard feeder birds, shoot huge shorebirds, or furry wildlife, I'd go with the DO II. Personally, I never found any IQ difference between the two, but there is considerably greater subject isolation w/ the 500, and 200mm more reach when used w/ 2x TCs. Buy the reach + aperture for your needs, IQ isn't a disqualification for any of these big whites :)

I completely agree with you, Mathew. I have come back here several times to try to offer you an equally thoughtful response but I'm not sure that I have one. I've accumulated so much gear that months ago I decided to try to consolidate everything into 2 bodies and 6 or 7 lenses and since I've sold off about 60% of my gear. Somewhat surprisingly I've also had the impulse to just keep selling till I'm done with it. It has to do with my pursuits in photography more than the actual gear but I am finding the gear to be a real grind lately. When I come here I invite it but it seems that no matter where I go in the world or in the field there's that one guy who wants to go on about gear. It's unfortunate. Right now I think I have more to think about than gear where photography is concerned. I've never been in this predicament before.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

MatthewK
Goldmember
3,641 posts
Gallery: 631 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 14, 2018 15:09 |  #50

nqjudo wrote in post #18770904 (external link)
I completely agree with you, Mathew. I have come back here several times to try to offer you an equally thoughtful response but I'm not sure that I have one. I've accumulated so much gear that months ago I decided to try to consolidate everything into 2 bodies and 6 or 7 lenses and since I've sold off about 60% of my gear. Somewhat surprisingly I've also had the impulse to just keep selling till I'm done with it. It has to do with my pursuits in photography more than the actual gear but I am finding the gear to be a real grind lately. When I come here I invite it but it seems that no matter where I go in the world or in the field there's that one guy who wants to go on about gear. It's unfortunate. Right now I think I have more to think about than gear where photography is concerned. I've never been in this predicament before.

The entire photography world is gear crazy right now, especially in Canon and Nikon land because we're at a huge event horizon. Everyone is reevaluating their gear, it's chaos because no one wants to be caught wrong-footed. I keep saying it, but the best thing to do is get off of the internet and enjoy what you have. Trust that the past you chose the right gear :) I've settled on my gear for the foreseeable future, there's nothing in my bag that doesn't have a specific purpose. Used to have 8, did a number of swaps/sells/upgrades, and have made it down to 6. Keep telling myself to keep what I have, no more hustling... it gets super tiring, worrying about all of this: I'm right there with you.

Me, I'm just waiting for this 600III to come in, and I'm punching out of the forum fun. It's been great, but sometimes it all just wears on me. Too much brand tribalism and not enough photography.

"NEW YEAR, NO G.A.S"

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,830 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 14, 2018 16:25 |  #51

umphotography wrote in post #18524579 (external link)
I have been scratching and saving for a few years.

I have always wanted to get the 200L F/2.0

I have even rented it a couple of times

But after I got to the camera store and took some shots to make sure the copy was super sharp, the business side of the brain kicked in, and I went home with my CASH still in my pocket

Maybe its harder to spend cash v/s charging it

Maybe its because I have a 300L and the 135L and the 85 Art

But what ever the reason was -- I walked out of the store. And I wasnt even sad about it

There is nothing better in canons line up , in my mind, for portraits, than a 200L- I just could not justify spending that kind of $$ with the 85 art and the 135L in my bag and especially when they do such a nice job

Think Im gonna put it towards a 500MM F/4 this year and look for a nice clean used one for my Alaska trip this summer

It's a lens I wanted for a while. But someone would have to give me one, and even if they did, I"m not sure I would use it a lot. It may be like the best for some portraits, but from what I've seen, sometimes its dependent on what the background is.

For the extra size and weight, let alone the cost, it would have to be distinctly better all the time, and I don't think that's the case from samples I've seen shared from time to time.

I'd probably rather have two other really good lenses for the same cost.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,823 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011
Post edited 2 months ago by Phoenixkh.

Dec 15, 2018 00:20 |  #52

I think I’d rather have a 200-400 w/1.4X over the other big whites because of my shooting environment. The cost prevents it at this point, but when Canon starts releasing long R lenses, pristine used ones might start showing up.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

sponsored links

8,230 views & 30 likes for this thread
Well...I came close...and did not pull the trigger
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.