Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,834 posts
Gallery: 501 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 15, 2018 10:05 |  #1546

Last night I went to a concert and decided to try some of the features I normally don't need for Landscapes.

Test shots with silent shutter had dark horizontal bands at 1/160 under fluorescent light. They went away after turning off silent shutter. I vaguely remember something about it being shutter speed dependent but didn't have time to iron that out.

Face detect with tracking worked pretty well until the lights started flashing and the microphones obscured part of the faces. It probably would have been fine otherwise.

I shot in manual with auto ISO so I assigned exposure compensation the the control ring. This was nice because I could see the exposure in the EVF and adjust EC without having to go to the menu. By the end of the night it was -2 1/3 with center weighted average metering.

There were times when it was obvious the person goof behind the camera (me) wasn't used to the controls on the EOS R. When I shoot in portrait I have the grip down so my elbow isn't up in the air. It is better when wearing a hat. My nose changed focus points a few times using the right hand side of the LCD for AF. Easily remedied.

It is nice having the review in the EVF. Review is set fairly long because of how I shoot landscapes. Using a shorter review time would probably be better for this type of photography but half press the shutter or AF On and your shooting again.

There were a few times when it didn't focus or AF just acted weird. That may have been due to the fog machine and lighting/laser combination. It could also be user error. I don't remember that happening with the 80D.

The camera was on for two hours and 268 pictures and the battery is at 50%.

This is my favorite from the night. It is not your normal crop but the microphone stand just wasn't adding anything to the image.

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Public/2018-Music/i-xGgG5xj/0/18ec0e8b/X3/20181214-1011-X3.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.cscott4.co​m/Public/2018-Music/i-xGgG5xj/A  (external link)

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!" Ansel Adams

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,494 posts
Gallery: 488 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 15, 2018 11:52 |  #1547

Decided to do a few comparison shots between my bodies.

All original shots were taken with Nifty Fifty mounted so I could adjust to make sure scale was correct.

R over 80D:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

R over 5D4

HOSTED PHOTO

Wayne...
~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
Canon EOS R, Panasonic G9, GX9, and a bunch of glass...

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,494 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 15, 2018 11:53 |  #1548

And compared to the M50...

HOSTED PHOTO

Wayne...

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
3,075 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by John Sheehy.

Dec 15, 2018 11:59 |  #1549

C Scott IV wrote in post #18771279 (external link)
Last night I went to a concert and decided to try some of the features I normally don't need for Landscapes.

Test shots with silent shutter had dark horizontal bands at 1/160 under fluorescent light. They went away after turning off silent shutter. I vaguely remember something about it being shutter speed dependent but didn't have time to iron that out.

The electronic shutter used is actually quite a bit slower than the curtain shutters, often 10x as slow or more. The electronic shutter in my Pentax Q is 1/13s, which is what the camera uses when a lens is not a Q-specific lens with a built-in leaf shutter. That is one of the main reasons that I don't use it much for extreme telephoto resolution with my long EF lenses. The small/distant subject resolution benefit is great (like a 5.5x crop of a FF with several hundred MP), but if anything is moving (camera or subject), all kinds of horizontal shearing or vertical compression/expansion artifacts can happen.

Slow electronic shutters are best reserved for steady cameras, still subjects, and continuous lighting.

The Tv "shutter speed" is just the amount of time that each pixel is exposed to the light coming from the lens. It has nothing to do with the time interval from when the first pixel row is exposed until the last pixel row is no longer exposed, which can be quite a long time relative to cycling lights. For long Tv values, each pixel will see multiple light cycles, so no huge problem. For faster Tv values, each pixel may only be exposed to a small part of the cycle, and different rows experience different parts of the cycle.

I shot in manual with auto ISO so I assigned exposure compensation the the control ring. This was nice because I could see the exposure in the EVF and adjust EC without having to go to the menu. By the end of the night it was -2 1/3 with center weighted average metering.

Are you doing this to protect the highlights in RAWs, or to make the review images and default conversions look right? if it's just for RAW protection, you can use HTP and only -1.33EC, and have a review image a stop brighter than what you are doing now. ISO 100 disappears from the ISO menu, though.

Cuttlefish
337 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 15, 2018 12:05 |  #1550

I suppose, crofter, they are a Chinese run outfit selling grey market goods?

7D & 450D | Canon 50mm 1.8 II | Canon 24-105L | Canon 85mm 1.8 | Canon EF-S 18-55 IS | Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG OS HSM | Manfrotto 055XPROB & 804RC2 | SpeedLite 430EX II & 2 x YN560 II. Bowens Gemini 500R Studio lighting kit

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,494 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 15, 2018 12:10 |  #1551

Side by side size comparison

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Wayne...

crofter
361 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by crofter.

Dec 15, 2018 12:13 |  #1552

Cuttlefish wrote in post #18771359 (external link)
I suppose, crofter, they are a Chinese run outfit selling grey market goods?

https://www.hdewcamera​s.co.uk/about-us-1-w.asp (external link)

Even cheaper at E-infinity,
https://www.e-infin.com/uk/promo/can​on_eos_r (external link)

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/70718847@N02/ (external link)

Cuttlefish
337 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by Cuttlefish.

Dec 15, 2018 12:29 |  #1553

Thanks.
Christmas shopping has just wiped me out, having two youngsters, but but I will monitor these next year.
Have you bought anything from either online store?

7D & 450D | Canon 50mm 1.8 II | Canon 24-105L | Canon 85mm 1.8 | Canon EF-S 18-55 IS | Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG OS HSM | Manfrotto 055XPROB & 804RC2 | SpeedLite 430EX II & 2 x YN560 II. Bowens Gemini 500R Studio lighting kit

crofter
361 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 15, 2018 12:33 |  #1554

Cuttlefish wrote in post #18771383 (external link)
Thanks.
Christmas shopping has just wiped me, having two youngsters, but but I will monitor these next year.
Have you bought anything from either online store?

I have bought a couple of lenses from E-infinity,no problems,delivered in about a week,communication from them is excellent,If I was in the market for a full frame camera I'd go with them for an R.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/70718847@N02/ (external link)

Cuttlefish
337 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by Cuttlefish.

Dec 15, 2018 13:16 |  #1555

crofter wrote in post #18771388 (external link)
I have bought a couple of lenses from E-infinity,no problems,delivered in about a week,communication from them is excellent,If I was in the market for a full frame camera I'd go with them for an R.

I bought a lens in HK but haven't bought a camera there or from any HK online store. I guess I have always felt that there is a greater chance of a problem with a camera over a lens (and the worry that it will have to be shipped off to HK if a problem develops). However, £1,500 would probably tip the balance.... :-)

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,834 posts
Gallery: 501 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by C Scott IV.

Dec 15, 2018 13:27 |  #1556

John Sheehy wrote in post #18771352 (external link)
The electronic shutter used is actually quite a bit slower than the curtain shutters, often 10x as slow or more. The electronic shutter in my Pentax Q is 1/13s, which is what the camera uses when a lens is not a Q-specific lens with a built-in leaf shutter. That is one of the main reasons that I don't use it much for extreme telephoto resolution with my long EF lenses. The small/distant subject resolution benefit is great (like a 5.5x crop of a FF with several hundred MP), but if anything is moving (camera or subject), all kinds of horizontal shearing or vertical compression/expansion artifacts can happen.

Slow electronic shutters are best reserved for steady cameras, still subjects, and continuous lighting.

The Tv "shutter speed" is just the amount of time that each pixel is exposed to the light coming from the lens. It has nothing to do with the time interval from when the first pixel row is exposed until the last pixel row is no longer exposed, which can be quite a long time relative to cycling lights. For long Tv values, each pixel will see multiple light cycles, so no huge problem. For faster Tv values, each pixel may only be exposed to a small part of the cycle, and different rows experience different parts of the cycle.

Are you doing this to protect the highlights in RAWs, or to make the review images and default conversions look right? if it's just for RAW protection, you can use HTP and only -1.33EC, and have a review image a stop brighter than what you are doing now. ISO 100 disappears from the ISO menu, though.

Thanks for the info in silent shutter. It makes sense.

Yes, -2 1/3 EC was to protect highlights in RAW. They like to use yellow lights at that venue and that was overexposing the faces and blond hair. For some reason I thought HTP only applied to JPG. Losing ISO 100 isn't a problem for this type of stuff. Will have to learn more about it.

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!" Ansel Adams

nardes
Goldmember
2,190 posts
Gallery: 520 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 15, 2018 18:29 |  #1557

I sneaked outdoors in-between showers to grab these with the 1:2 RF 35mm F1.8 macro lens which performed rather nicely.

I don't know what Canon have done to the IS on the EOS R, but I am noticing more and more that in marginal situations, my keeper rate has increased (i.e. reduction in camera shake).

Cheers

Dennis

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,812 posts
Gallery: 352 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 15, 2018 18:47 |  #1558

I love the RF 35. I took a shot of my son with it today and when I was reviewing it on the screen, he says “can I see what’s in my eye?” I guess it was sharp. Lol

Canon EOS M6 Mark II - EOS R
Donate for Forum Costs

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 15, 2018 20:35 |  #1559

nardes wrote in post #18771527 (external link)
I sneaked outdoors in-between showers to grab these with the 1:2 RF 35mm F1.8 macro lens which performed rather nicely.

I don't know what Canon have done to the IS on the EOS R, but I am noticing more and more that in marginal situations, my keeper rate has increased (i.e. reduction in camera shake).

Cheers

Dennis
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by nardes in
./showthread.php?p=187​71527&i=i182577653
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=187​71527&i=i21723856

I agree.. it is working remarkably well. With all lenses really EF and RF

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

RodS57
954 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Dec 15, 2018 21:14 |  #1560

nardes wrote in post #18771527 (external link)

Cheers

Dennis
thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=187​71527&i=i182577653

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=187​71527&i=i21723856

Stop it! -5C here is a really warm day and I have a macro lens that I haven't had a chance to use yet.

Just kidding. Don't stop. Love the macro shots from you and others.

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

1,250,183 views & 20,112 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.