Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Dec 2018 (Sunday) 12:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

HPS for 80D

56_kruiser
108 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 16, 2018 12:22 |  #1

In some situations I want to have GPS data written to the exif on the photos. I don't want to have to do a manual process post shoot.

Reviews on the shoe based Canon unit aren't so positive. And it's quite expensive.

Can I took a GPS unit through the USB port on the camera and have it do that?

Any suggesting for a unit?

Canon EOS T2i
Canon 80D

sponsored links
mcoren
624 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Dec 16, 2018 13:19 |  #2

I looked into this myself around maybe two years ago. Amazon had a couple of third party receivers that were less expensive than the Canon, but their reviews weren't so great either.

The best results I recall reading about were from people who had dedicated hand-held GPS units, the kind sold for hiking and hunting. They were accurate and reliable, but they were similarly expensive and required you to do a post-process to export their tracking data and add it to your photos.

One option is to try the Canon GPS first and see if it works for you. It's available to rent at Lensrentals and the price is reasonable, and that way you can form your own opinion. Link (external link)

My 7Dii has a built-in GPS receiver but I haven't been impressed with it. It won't lock at all indoors, and even outdoors under relatively open sky I've found it to be pretty finicky.

The solution I use is an app on my phone called GeoTagr (external link). It costs $5 and uses the phone's GPS to track your position during the time that it is active. Afterward, it will produce XML sidecar files with geolocations for your pics based on their timestamps. I realize this is a manual post processing step which you said you didn't want, but it's a lot cheaper than the Canon GPS module. GeoTagr is only for iOS, but there may be something similar for Android.

Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

56_kruiser
THREAD ­ STARTER
108 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 16, 2018 18:28 as a reply to  @ mcoren's post |  #3

Thanks for the input.

I was thinking there may be something that I could hook to the camera via the USB port.

I may look into the apps if I don't come up with something else.

On another note: I see I have misspelling in the title. Forum doesn't want to let me edit/correct the title.

Canon EOS T2i
Canon 80D

russbecker
232 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 19, 2018 09:28 |  #4

I went through this same process last year regarding external GPS for the 80D (and 7D for that matter). I ended up picking up the Canon GP-E2 on the buy/sell forum for $100. It is certainly worth that, probably not $240. It can be maddening to use, sometimes it gets a position lock in a few seconds, sometimes it takes an hour (not kidding). Sometimes it is slow to update its position, even though you have set the update interval to 15 or 30 sec.

It is what it is.

7D2 | 7D | 80D | 40D | 100-400 f/4-5.6 IIL | 300 f/4 L | 70-200 f/2.8 IIL | 70-200 f/4L | 135 f/2 L | 85 f/1.8 | 100 f/2 | 60 f/2.8 macro | nifty-fifty | 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 | Tamron 150-600 | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | Sigma 30 f/1.4 | Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 | Sigma 120-400

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,950 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 19, 2018 14:11 |  #5

My experience from the GP-E2 is that it works very well. No reception problems or anything, provided you use it the way you should use a GPS. Of course it doesn't work indoors, it shouldn't. If you get any signals at all in there, they are usually the result of such significant multipath that they aren't worth much anyway. The frequency used for GPS is line of sight.

With cameras supporting GP-E2 connection through the hot shoe, it's very convenient to use.

Anders

russbecker
232 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 20, 2018 04:57 |  #6

I have left it on a table with a clear LOS to the sky for 30 minutes, camera not moving, and it has not achieved a lock. At other times I have put it on the camera hot shoe, turned it on, and had a lock in a few seconds. Once it gains a lock, it is usually reliable, although it does not always update its position as set. I set it at 30 seconds.

7D2 | 7D | 80D | 40D | 100-400 f/4-5.6 IIL | 300 f/4 L | 70-200 f/2.8 IIL | 70-200 f/4L | 135 f/2 L | 85 f/1.8 | 100 f/2 | 60 f/2.8 macro | nifty-fifty | 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 | Tamron 150-600 | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | Sigma 30 f/1.4 | Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 | Sigma 120-400

mcoren
624 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Dec 22, 2018 20:08 |  #7

There’s one for sale in the classifieds right now.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1503074

(Disclaimer: Just passing this along. It’s not mine and I don’t know the seller)

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

sponsored links

886 views & 0 likes for this thread
HPS for 80D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.