Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

bbqkid8
298 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 16, 2018 14:53 |  #1576

Pondrader wrote in post #18771891 (external link)
Did I mention I have deer that love me..... OK maybe I did.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Pondrader in
./showthread.php?p=187​71891&i=i219486834
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

What a beauty!

For those who shoot outdoors in cold conditions, how would you focus if you were wearing gloves? I don't have the camera, but am I right to assume that you can customize any of the buttons to move the focal points?

Brian,
Canon EOS R; Canon 500mm f/4 Mark II; Canon 100-400mm f/4-5.6 Mark II; Canon 70-200mm 2.8 Mark II; Canon RF 28-70 f/2; Canon 1.4x Extender Mark III;
https://www.brianbaqui​al.com (external link)
Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 16, 2018 14:57 |  #1577

bbqkid8 wrote in post #18772070 (external link)
What a beauty!

For those who shoot outdoors in cold conditions, how would you focus if you were wearing gloves? I don't have the camera, but am I right to assume that you can customize any of the buttons to move the focal points?

AFAIK you can only set the directional buttons other than use the touchscreen. I can't remember seeing it as an option for the other buttons.

Chris Giles Photography

bbqkid8
298 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 16, 2018 15:05 |  #1578

Gel wrote in post #18772074 (external link)
AFAIK you can only set the directional buttons other than use the touchscreen. I can't remember seeing it as an option for the other buttons.

Sounds good. Thanks.

Brian,
Canon EOS R; Canon 500mm f/4 Mark II; Canon 100-400mm f/4-5.6 Mark II; Canon 70-200mm 2.8 Mark II; Canon RF 28-70 f/2; Canon 1.4x Extender Mark III;
https://www.brianbaqui​al.com (external link)
Instagram (external link)

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,707 posts
Gallery: 485 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 16, 2018 15:22 |  #1579

John Sheehy wrote in post #18771981 (external link)
I'm not exactly sure what you're saying here, but you're looking at the histogram of the conversion, not the RAW, so the HTP version has a stop more to the right of the histogram than the -1EC ISO 100 version does.

That makes two of us I guess. What is the HTP histogram is a conversion of? Is it not a histogram of ISO 100 (equivelent) plus the HTP curve.

The 200/HTP RAW should be able to handle ISO 50 exposure as well as ISO 50, which is the same thing under the hood, other than the metering. 50, 100, and 200/HTP use the same gain and digitization, in recent cameras.

ISO 50 and 100 aren't available when using HTP. Are you saying that 30 sec @ f/11 would have the same exposure at ISO 50, 100 and 200/HTP? I definitely don't understand.

[Edit:] Sorry, i forgot to mention that even though the RAW can handle it, the JPEG would be washed out.

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships." Ansel Adams

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,707 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by C Scott IV.

Dec 16, 2018 15:31 |  #1580

What a beauty!

The AF point select button enables the front dial for horizontal and the rear dial for vertical AF point placement. Not sure but you may be able to configure the D-pad for AF point similar to the 80D.

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships." Ansel Adams

i-G12
Wat?
1,843 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 16, 2018 15:48 |  #1581

C Scott IV wrote in post #18771955 (external link)
For those who may be curious about the crop circles. Not that kind of crop circle! The image circle of an APS-C lens on the R. These are with the Tamron 18-400.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by C Scott IV in
./showthread.php?p=187​71955&i=i67295604

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by C Scott IV in
./showthread.php?p=187​71955&i=i207283058

I don’t understand. WTH?

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,707 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 16, 2018 16:14 |  #1582

i-G12 wrote in post #18772106 (external link)
I don’t understand. WTH?

The image circle of an APS-C is smaller than the Full Frame sensor. The images were to show the size of that circle for those who may be thinking of using third party APS-C lenses on the EOS R. A person could use this setup for square cropped shots.

Charles

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 16, 2018 16:34 |  #1583

C Scott IV wrote in post #18772095 (external link)
The AF point select button enables the front dial for horizontal and the rear dial for vertical AF point placement. Not sure but you may be able to configure the D-pad for AF point similar to the 80D.

I didn't know this, thanks!

Chris Giles Photography

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 1 year ago by Pondrader.

Dec 16, 2018 16:55 |  #1584

What a beauty!

Shooting wildlife I tend to only use centre point of which I believe is 143 AF Points.. I'm not sure what small centre is. It does make it easier in the winter to not have to move point. But I set the D-Pad for moving AF point and the set button to centre AF. If under custom buttons you set to ..Direct AF method selection... you will be able to move using only the D-pad control without any function button first. \

Wearing heavy gloves can be a problem so in fast action I use thinner gloves... when I can't feel my fingers anymore I just get my hands back in something warm.

I have always been a back button focus guy but with the R I'm finding I don't need the AF on all the time so at the moment I'm trying shutter half press. it seems to work ok for now.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

i-G12
Wat?
1,843 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 16, 2018 17:16 |  #1585

C Scott IV wrote in post #18772119 (external link)
The image circle of an APS-C is smaller than the Full Frame sensor. The images were to show the size of that circle for those who may be thinking of using APS-C lenses on the EOS R. A person could use this setup for square cropped shots.

But the actual image will be cropped not shown as a damn circle, right? :twisted:

avondale87
Cream of the Crop
5,520 posts
Gallery: 486 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 16, 2018 17:57 as a reply to  @ i-G12's post |  #1586

On my gear, yes full circle, or if zoomed in enough get normal ratio as set.
As I zoom out from there I get an ever encroaching circle starting at the corners.
Not EOSR though. But imagine would have to be same unless camera intelligence takes over. Doubt that though.

Richard

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,913 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 16, 2018 18:20 |  #1587

C Scott IV wrote in post #18772088 (external link)
That makes two of us I guess. What is the HTP histogram is a conversion of? Is it not a histogram of ISO 100 (equivelent) plus the HTP curve.

The histogram you showed me looks like the histogram of the image that the converter would create; not the RAW.

The histogram of the RAW image would be the same for both, if the absolute exposure was the same (same light, Av, and Tv).

ISO 50 and 100 aren't available when using HTP. Are you saying that 30 sec @ f/11 would have the same exposure at ISO 50, 100 and 200/HTP? I definitely don't understand.

They all have the same RAW histogram; the RAW metadata simply notes that they have different RAW values intended to be white in a conversion, but you can always override that in a converter.

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,707 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 16, 2018 18:37 |  #1588

i-G12 wrote in post #18772136 (external link)
But the actual image will be cropped not shown as a damn circle, right? :twisted:

From what I've read the R will automatically crop when an Canon EF-S lens is attached. This is a third party APS-C lens and the R doesn't crop it.

Charles

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,707 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 16, 2018 18:44 |  #1589

John Sheehy wrote in post #18772167 (external link)
The histogram you showed me looks like the histogram of the image that the converter would create; not the RAW.

The histogram of the RAW image would be the same for both, if the absolute exposure was the same (same light, Av, and Tv).

They all have the same RAW histogram; the RAW metadata simply notes that they have different RAW values intended to be white in a conversion, but you can always override that in a converter.

Thanks, John. I think I understand.

Charles

DigitalTuned
All these thoughts give me nightmares
4,772 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Nov 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by DigitalTuned.

Dec 17, 2018 02:07 |  #1590

"As I was saying, there are times when being a witch can be very satisfying."
Statue of Samantha Stephens from the TV show Bewitched
Salem MA
12/17/18

IMAGE: http://i63.tinypic.com/23sdrfo.jpg

The house is an excellent example of 17th-century New England architecture.
Salem Witch House
Salem MA
12/17/18

IMAGE: http://i63.tinypic.com/2r6hf0w.jpg

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
facebook - (external link) - 500px (external link)

sponsored links

946,713 views & 15,443 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.